Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread***

I said it before the world cup and it still seems true today. If France has their A-game, I'm not sure anybody else is even close. They just have so much high end talent and depth. And Pogba plays so much better for France (compared to at United), which elevates them even more. Now that they're bringing Benzema back into the mix, they're even stronger.

Should be a fun tournament

• Like 2

NY Times just published a detailed break down of FIFA's silent involvement in the Super League.  It paints the ugly picture you would expect.

One of the key components was that FIFA was intending to give their approval in exchange for the Super League clubs playing in FIFA's World Club Cup competition.

FIFA's approval would have allow the players to not to have had to worry about being banned from international play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

So Mbappe, Griezeman, Benzema...not to mention Coman, Giroud, Dembele... A weak link. :lol:

Benz has (unfortunately) been in really good form this year too. That front three is going to be tough to handle.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

Lloris in goal is weak?  Really?

To be fair, he did say weakest.  That doesn’t necessarily mean weak.  I could see that POV but mainly because the rest of that team is incredibly stacked.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Only 3 weeks until it starts - I need to get moving on an updated drinking guide.

@The Gator

Was just talking with my son last night about it. Perfect time for Cali to fully open up, I'm vaccinated and will be destroying cocktails in pubs for the games. 

Portugal/France final again imo

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

To be fair, he did say weakest.  That doesn’t necessarily mean weak.  I could see that POV but mainly because the rest of that team is incredibly stacked.

The CB position seems the weakest to me, depending on the pairing

31 minutes ago, The Gator said:

Was just talking with my son last night about it. Perfect time for Cali to fully open up, I'm vaccinated and will be destroying cocktails in pubs for the games. 

https://public.tableau.com/profile/aaabatteries#!/

Previous iterations.  I'm a slacker or would have this done and more enhancements.  I'm more interested in drinking than doing this.  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sammy3469 said:

To put this in some perspective Forbes has West Ham worth $508 million. This is for a big-market, but relatively poorly run club that doesn't own the stadium (though I'm sure Segal is looking to do some things).  

That's a lot of bubbles.

2 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

NY Times just published a detailed break down of FIFA's silent involvement in the Super League.  It paints the ugly picture you would expect.

One of the key components was that FIFA was intending to give their approval in exchange for the Super League clubs playing in FIFA's World Club Cup competition.

FIFA's approval would have allow the players to not to have had to worry about being banned from international play.

FIFA sucks.  Their war with UEFA degrades the game we all love.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, guru_007 said:

Squads are rolling in for Euro's and all I can say is France is sick with talent, and this is the weakest German side I can remember.  Ever.

Theo got shafted again in the French Squad. I'm not saying he should start but the form he's been in since going to Milan he's one of the top 2 LBs in Italy now. At the least a back up/sub for France this year. 

7 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:
2 hours ago, The Gator said:

Might happen.  POR has some talent.  I'm not sure who is in the next tier below FRA to be honest.

Portugal, France and Germany are all together in Group F, with Hungary.  Munich and Budapest are the host cities for this Group.  Probably some fun group games.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TLEF316 said:

I said it before the world cup and it still seems true today. If France has their A-game, I'm not sure anybody else is even close. They just have so much high end talent and depth. And Pogba plays so much better for France (compared to at United), which elevates them even more. Now that they're bringing Benzema back into the mix, they're even stronger.

Should be a fun tournament

He's the polar opposite of Ciro Immobile. Great in Calcio but non existent who on the Azzurri. 

6 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

Yeah, compared to the rest of the squad.  He's not in the class of Alisson, Neuer, Oblak, Mendy and a host of others.

LOL.  There's a reason Mendy didn't stick w/ his native France for International play.  

Lloris may not be quite the class of the other three, but for France he is definitely not what I would call a weak link.  I would argue half of the top 10 FIFA teams would prefer Lloris over what they have.  Especially England (#4) and Portugal (#5).  

2 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

No one is shocked by this. FIFA and all just pandered for the PR hit they took from supporters around the world. These people are no better then the US government where both parties behind closed doors want the same thing but in public act different. It's all one big scheme by government and corporations to enrich themselves and keep us as peasants 

1 minute ago, Poke_4_Life said:

LOL.  There's a reason Mendy didn't stick w/ his native France for International play.  

Lloris may not be quite the class of the other three, but for France he is definitely not what I would call a weak link.  I would argue half of the top 10 FIFA teams would prefer Lloris over what they have.  Especially England (#4) and Portugal (#5).  

Well it doesn't help that Germany has like 3-4 goalies that are better than Lloris.  As for Mendy, I don't know what his reasoning was for going with SEN.  Maybe he didn't want to try and unseat and established Lloris and didn't want to wait until Lloris was gone before getting starts.  Of course he missed out on some silverware as a result.

2 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

Only 3 weeks until it starts - I need to get moving on an updated drinking guide.

@The Gator

I can't really take whole weeks off so all I did was use some vacation time for the Group stage of when Italy plays. PA Fully opens at the end of May but Philly itself might wait another week or 2. If they open just in time for Italy's first match there is a cafe in Center City that always hosted Milan Club Philly I might go too. I'm already fully vaccinated and first match is a Friday so I'd expect a good crowd too 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Portugal, France and Germany are all together in Group F, with Hungary.  Munich and Budapest are the host cities for this Group.  Probably some fun group games.

Yup, I was pushing hard to try and get tix to the POR/GER match, which I think is in Munich.  That would be a really really fun time if not for stupid COVID.

ESPN FC on social media had like 6 post on CR7 in 35 mins after the game really glad handing him. CR7 in the Coppa Italia Final besides the one time he jumped VERY HIGH and missed a header was non existent in the match. 

19 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

FIFA sucks.  Their war with UEFA degrades the game we all love.

Just wait until the WC is every two years and it destroys the Euros.  I'll also say that there's a direct line between this FIFA proposal and the Super League.  However, unlike the SL, there's too many minnows and others that want to eat at the WC every two years trough.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

That group is nuts.

Have to figure Belgium's golden generation are starting to run out of chances as they age...this should be a time for them.

5 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

That group is nuts.

Have to figure Belgium's golden generation are starting to run out of chances as they age...this should be a time for them.

I just checked a few betting sites and it seems most have France and England as co-favorites with Belgium just slightly behind, Spain a little further back then a larger gap to Germany and Portugal.

• Thinking 1

3 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

@The Gator

Do you all know what streaming network most of the games will be on?  As a relatively new fan of watching intl matches I can’t keep track of all the services the various leagues and tournaments are covered. Paramount plus, ESPN plus, ESPN 2,  etc..

1 hour ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Even without Hungary playing home matches, I think that's the toughest group I've ever seen.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I just checked a few betting sites and it seems most have France and England as co-favorites with Belgium just slightly behind, Spain a little further back then a larger gap to Germany and Portugal.

England is always overrated in these competition, but that attack will be unbelievable.  Rash, Sterling, Sancho, Foden.  I hate City, but the Stockport Messi is the truth.  Portugal has a nice squad, but not enough depth, imho.  Germany would not be in my top 5 this year.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dnurk said:

Do you all know what streaming network most of the games will be on?  As a relatively new fan of watching intl matches I can’t keep track of all the services the various leagues and tournaments are covered. Paramount plus, ESPN plus, ESPN 2,  etc..

ESPN will televise 39 matches, with another seven on ESPN2. ABC will show five matches (two group stage matches, two round of 16 and one quarterfinal). All matches will be streamed live on ESPN+.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:
21 minutes ago, dnurk said:

ESPN will televise 39 matches, with another seven on ESPN2. ABC will show five matches (two group stage matches, two round of 16 and one quarterfinal). All matches will be streamed live on ESPN+.

Here's a decent schedule.  June/July is going to be a tough month work-wise between this and the USMNT games.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/euro-2020-tv-schedule/

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, guru_007 said:

England is always overrated in these competition, but that attack will be unbelievable.  Rash, Sterling, Sancho, Foden.  I hate City, but the Stockport Messi is the truth.  Portugal has a nice squad, but not enough depth, imho.  Germany would not be in my top 5 this year.

He and Mount have been amazing.

Is Maguire back?

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

He and Mount have been amazing.

Is Maguire back?

Maguire will be there I'm sure.  He's trying to get fit for Europa finals next week.

And ya, Mount's been good, but not nearly Foden level good.  England has a pretty solid stable of attacking players, and I didn't even mention Kane before :wall:

Guys like Grealish, Calvert-Lewin, Mount may not even see any time in big games.

6 minutes ago, guru_007 said:

Maguire will be there I'm sure.  He's trying to get fit for Europa finals next week.

And ya, Mount's been good, but not nearly Foden level good.  England has a pretty solid stable of attacking players, and I didn't even mention Kane before :wall:

Guys like Grealish, Calvert-Lewin, Mount may not even see any time in big games.

From what I've seen, I rate Mount higher than the guys you've mentioned, including Foden.

But Maguire needs to be there for their backline...trying to think of their other CBs. Nobody jumping to mind anywhere near as good.

• Like 1

England has all kinds of options, will need to see who is called up.  Have to figure Jordan Henderson is a shoe in, so if he's there, you can probably throw Rice in at CB.  Or you can play 3 in the back with Maguire flanked by Kyle Walker and AWB.  I dunno.

Guys, you are forgetting the most important English player...

LINGARDINHO!!!

He and Mason Mount will be a force to reckon with!!!

:scared: And yes I rate them about the same, which probably means I need to watch more Mount to see why everyone all of a sudden loves him when he was simply considered Lampard's Lingard....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, guru_007 said:

England has all kinds of options, will need to see who is called up.  Have to figure Jordan Henderson is a shoe in, so if he's there, you can probably throw Rice in at CB.  Or you can play 3 in the back with Maguire flanked by Kyle Walker and AWB.  I dunno.

AWB won't see the field.  Shaw and McGuire will be two of your backs.

Yeah, England gonna not call up some good players.  CB Stones is out there too, and yeah, my bad on AWB, Shaw, Trippier, Chillwell all more deserving.  Really just going off the top of my head for now until squads are announced

30 minutes ago, guru_007 said:

Yeah, England gonna not call up some good players.  CB Stones is out there too, and yeah, my bad on AWB, Shaw, Trippier, Chillwell all more deserving.  Really just going off the top of my head for now until squads are announced

Not sure I agree with "more deserving" but there is a lot or right backs to choose from and they each have their strengths.

If you are looking for attacking AWB may not be the top choice.  If you are looking to pocket an attacker coming down that side, feeing up other defenders, then you might choose AWB.

If England can put aside club affiliations and just go play like each player knows how, they will make some noise.  Belgium, France, Germany all look good.  Spain and Portugal always a threat. Should be a fun tournament,

19 minutes ago, B Maverick said:

If you are looking for attacking AWB may not be the top choice.

Might go Trippier there.  He's been good for Atleti, but not great.  Can play RB or move into midfield on the wing if playing 3 at the back.  

2 hours ago, guru_007 said:

I think they are so constantly overrated they may be underrated this go round.  They should be a semifinal team, IMO, based on their roster.  They just need Southgate to set them up well but not sure he’s up for the task.  We’ll see but they have a ton of talent in that side.  

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I would expect the England RB to be Alexander-Arnold.

ETA - I guess I’m biased against Walker - he will probably start but I feel like he’s made to look better than he is by Pep and the City other starting 10.

Edited by AAABatteries
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AAABatteries said:

I would expect the England RB to be Alexander-Arnold.

He didn't even make the squad for the last WCQ.  Southgate seems to prefer Walker and James, with Trippier coming along in case they need more offense.

7 minutes ago, encaitar said:

He didn't even make the squad for the last WCQ.  Southgate seems to prefer Walker and James, with Trippier coming along in case they need more offense.

If he takes James over TAA he’s an idiot - IMO.

6 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

If he takes James over TAA he’s an idiot - IMO.

I wouldn't say that.  James offers much more defensively while only being slightly less effective going forward IMO.  I think James is the future of the RB position for England personally.

4 minutes ago, B Maverick said:

Does he get to take VVD too?  TAA hasn't been the same without him. 

I think TAA would be fine with McGuire and Stones.  England typically has trouble scoring in these tournaments.  I’d want TAA’s crossing in to Kane over James defensive superiority.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AAABatteries said:
1 hour ago, B Maverick said:

I think TAA would be fine with McGuire and Stones.  England typically has trouble scoring in these tournaments.  I’d want TAA’s crossing in to Kane over James defensive superiority.

I think crossing is James' main strength.  No doubt he is the best crosser of the Chelsea fullback/wingbacks. If anything, his defending is the weaker part of his game.

Here's the Whoscored profile:

Reece James Characteristics

+ Strengths

Passing - Very Strong

Key passes - Strong

Dribbling - Strong

Crossing - Strong

Holding on to the ball - Strong

Concentration - Strong

- Weaknesses

(Player has no significant weaknesses)

Reece James's Style of Play

Likes to cross

I really have no opinion as to which player would be best for England.  James has done well playing right wing back in a 3-4-3 under Tuchel, played RB for Lampard. In 2018-19 on loan at Wigan he was their player of the year and made the championship team of the year as a right back.

2 hours ago, B Maverick said:

Van Dijk plays on the other side.  It's Gomez with Trent.  Agree he misses him though, Gomez covers a ton of ground and has a lot of speed to cover the space when TAA is forward.  None of the guys they've plugged into that spot come close to the same coverage.

And I'm a huge Arnold honk, but IMO he has to be in a Beckham-like role or he doesn't offer enough.  If you're not going to free him up to play in the offensive half of the field and ping passes/crosses over distance you're better off with someone else.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

England hasn't been good since Beckham left in major tournaments. They have a fairly good squad but England are the king of choke artists in major tournaments these days