What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (5 Viewers)

Could this open up a fair bidding process for WC 2018 & 2022

Good god I can't get my mind around this.
Fixed
Damn it, what did I miss? Quick summary please
Just wishful thinking on my part :hifive:
Crap. I guess that would be too go to be true.

But if we have to sacrifice the Copa next summer for this explosion, it might be worth it.

I just hope that they can find a way to have 2026 be as fair as possible.
They bulldozed ghettos in Brazil, have worked thousands of slaves in Qatar to death, killed whistle-blowers, God knows what else. I think we can live without the Copa.

Could this open up a fair bidding process for WC 2018 & 2022

Good god I can't get my mind around this.
Fixed
Damn it, what did I miss? Quick summary please
Just wishful thinking on my part :hifive:
Crap. I guess that would be too go to be true.

But if we have to sacrifice the Copa next summer for this explosion, it might be worth it.

I just hope that they can find a way to have 2026 be as fair as possible.
They bulldozed ghettos in Brazil, have worked thousands of slaves in Qatar to death, killed whistle-blowers, God knows what else. I think we can live without the Copa.
then they would have all made that sacrifice for nothing. why can't you think of the oppressed? specifically the way we'd be oppressed by not getting to see Messi and pals live at the Meadowlands.

Rog asks Bob Ley if FOX will have the rights to the 2026 World Cup stripped and Ley can't dodge the question fast enough.
I mentioned this when the #### hit the fan earlier this week and then forgot all about it.

This has to be all wrapped up in this mess. IMO, FIFA clearly gave that to Fox so that Fox would not sue them over the Qatar winter mess.

But if FIFA rips this away from Qatar, the winter issue is removed from Fox.

EPL tv numbers are out - Chelsea awarded a record £99m.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/06/03/08/294EE25300000578-3108205-image-a-9_1433315488679.jpg

These numbers go way up with the new deal in 2016.

Domestic, International and Commercial revenues are all split evenly. In finishing last, QPR earned £65m in 14/15. By comparison, Bayern earned £27m in television revenue while winning the Bundesliga in 2013/14.
1. Why are Bundesliga tv revenues so much less, no sizable international contracts like PL?

2. Does this give Saints enough cash to buy Chicharito instead of another cut-rate Dutch guy?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/06/03/08/294EE25300000578-3108205-image-a-9_1433315488679.jpg

Domestic, International and Commercial revenues are all split evenly. In finishing last, QPR earned £65m in 14/15. By comparison, Bayern earned £27m in television revenue while winning the Bundesliga in 2013/14.
1. Why are Bundesliga tv revenues so much less, no sizable international contracts like PL?2. Does this give Saints enough cash to buy Chicharito instead of another cut-rate Dutch guy?
The Bundesliga numbers will go up a bit on the international side next season. Otherwise, it's just marketing. There's no reason to think the EPL product is any better as far as I can tell, but it's certainly better-marketed. With the current exchange rate advantage, it's expected the English clubs will go hog-wild in the transfer market this summer. That doesn't mean Real Madrid will be selling, but I think a player like Hernandez is well within reach of a top third English club, assuming he is leaving and is willing to move back to England. I think one of the interesting things to watch early summer is West Hams manager search. People laughed at the reports that Ancelotti turned them down, but it was at least interesting someone thought that was realistic enough to make a good rumor. Could West Ham poach a manager from a place like Ajax though? It seems possible.

1. Why are Bundesliga tv revenues so much less, no sizable international contracts like PL?2. Does this give Saints enough cash to buy Chicharito instead of another cut-rate Dutch guy?
The Bundesliga numbers will go up a bit on the international side next season. Otherwise, it's just marketing. There's no reason to think the EPL product is any better as far as I can tell, but it's certainly better-marketed. With the current exchange rate advantage, it's expected the English clubs will go hog-wild in the transfer market this summer. That doesn't mean Real Madrid will be selling, but I think a player like Hernandez is well within reach of a top third English club, assuming he is leaving and is willing to move back to England. I think one of the interesting things to watch early summer is West Hams manager search. People laughed at the reports that Ancelotti turned them down, but it was at least interesting someone thought that was realistic enough to make a good rumor. Could West Ham poach a manager from a place like Ajax though? It seems possible.
I don't think Real Madrid has any say on Hernandez. I think he is owned by ManU. He was loaned to Real Madrid but Real decided to end the loan on May 26th and he returned to Man U.

So it's not completely crazy. That's kinda cool. The Trafford scum may have all the money in the world but they still need room on the roster. A Soton boy can dream. (edit: plus Saints will need to score next season because their defense may not be intact after transfer season)

I also confess to a weakness for German futbol because I am a Guardian-reading pinko and like their ownership model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw a report on BR stating that according to AS, Pirlo is set to join NYCFC

Its on my app but I cant find it BR's online site.

ETA found this: http://mlsgb.com/2015/06/03/nycfcs-third-dp-on-the-way-andrea-pirlo-accepts-offer/
This has been circulating for weeks now. Both the Spanish and Italian media have said it is either done or close to done. But no word from anyone inside of MLS.

If he does go to NYCFC, that should allow him and Lampard to have a blast in the midfield and push Mix way up the field close to Villa who needs some help in the worst way.

Pirlo could play 3 years in MLS. He has not sprinted in about 17 years with no affect on his game play. The only issues will be how does his body hold up to travel and the turf both of which are not kind to any player, much less a 36 year old.

If it is a done deal, I wonder if they are just waiting for the UCL Final before announcing it...

Other MLS news/rumors includes Drogba to Orlando City but he reported;y wanted $8 million for a 6 month contract and that is not in the cards financially.

Good Posting Judge said:
Steve Tasker said:
Good Posting Judge said:
I know just the guy to take over FIFA.
I don't think I have ever seen that. I'm laughing so hard I'm crying.
I'll jab u in the gobber m8
:lmao: I'm watching it again at work and just noticed the "hi rio do u want picking up in the morning pal" that flashes at the top right in the replays when Cissokho blasts that shot a mile wide. A reference to Wayne Rooney's legendary first tweet - https://twitter.com/waynerooney/status/61593468186791936

Nice to see that there are some small pockets of honesty in CONCACAF. This is a pretty cool snippet from a much longer (and filthy) story. The picture Lunn took has been an important piece of evidence.

Fred Lunn, the vice-president of the Bahamas FA, was one of the first to go up to the room where he was handed a large brown envelope. When he opened it "stacks of $100 fell out and on to the table. I was stunned to see this cash", he said in an affidavit which was presented to FIFA's ethics committee on Sunday.

Lunn said he was not authorized to accept such a gift but was urged to do so by a CFU official. He decided to hold on to the money and contact his association's president Anton Sealey, which he did by text message.

Copies of these text messages were also sent to the ethics committee which suspended Bin Hammam and FIFA vice-president Jack Warner on Sunday pending a full inquiry. CFU officials Debbie Minguell and Jason Sylvester have also been suspended.

Sealey then called Lunn and told him "under no circumstances would the Bahamas FA accept such a cash gift" and that he should return the $40,000.

Lunn took a picture of the money before he replaced it in the envelope, and when he returned to the conference room to hand it back he had to wait while other officials queued to go in.

Falcao now better than even odds to join Chelsea. Rumor is that the deal wont be a loan but a permanant transfer. Fee rumored to be 25M pounds. Chelsea need another striker with Costa often injured and Drogba retiring but the price seems steep for a 29 year old coming off a poor season. Feels like a luxury buy to be honest. That said, Mourinho loves him and I can see him playing both 1) alongside Costa as well as 2) instead of Costa in a lone target role. Do you guys think they can coexist?

I may be in the minority here but I think Chelsea will revert to a 4-4-2 next season with two established strikers. He was very succesful with that formation during his first stint at Chelsea (Drogba and Gudjohnson) as well as with Inter (Eto'o and Militio). Chelsea were quite predictable during the last three months of the season with so much of the attack started wide by Hazard. No way he keeps the same team and formation next season.

Also, Cuadrado was trending on Twitter last night as he is scheduled to leave Chelsea after just four months. Likely will return to Italy with Inter and Roma said to be frontrunners. Chelsea paid 23M pounds for him - will be interesting to see how much theyll be able to recoup.

Just saw a report on BR stating that according to AS, Pirlo is set to join NYCFC

Its on my app but I cant find it BR's online site.

ETA found this: http://mlsgb.com/2015/06/03/nycfcs-third-dp-on-the-way-andrea-pirlo-accepts-offer/
This has been circulating for weeks now. Both the Spanish and Italian media have said it is either done or close to done. But no word from anyone inside of MLS.

If he does go to NYCFC, that should allow him and Lampard to have a blast in the midfield and push Mix way up the field close to Villa who needs some help in the worst way.

Pirlo could play 3 years in MLS. He has not sprinted in about 17 years with no affect on his game play. The only issues will be how does his body hold up to travel and the turf both of which are not kind to any player, much less a 36 year old.

If it is a done deal, I wonder if they are just waiting for the UCL Final before announcing it...
Is Mix not a DP? Villa and Lampard I assume are... Pirlo would be as well.

Users who are viewing this thread