What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

The Spanish papers are having a field day making Madrid's president, Perez look like a ding bat.

The papers have uncovered audio from years ago of Perez all but cutting wrestling heel promo's on some of the Madrid players. 

The Spanish papers are having a field day making Madrid's president, Perez look like a ding bat.

The papers have uncovered audio from years ago of Perez all but cutting wrestling heel promo's on some of the Madrid players. 
https://www.si.com/soccer/2021/07/14/florentino-perez-real-madrid-cristiano-ronaldo-jose-mourinho-leaked-audio

The newspaper El Confidencial released audios in which Florentino Pérez reportedly called former player Ronaldo an “imbecile” and “sick.” He reportedly said Ronaldo and former coach Mourinho “were not normal.” He also called Mourinho an “imbecile.”

Looks like Messi has signed a new 5 year contract at Barca.

Messi is about to sign a five year contract with a 50% pay cut to help Barcelona's books.

That's him missing out on:

€250,000 a week.
€1,000,000 a month.
€12,000,000 a year.
€60,000,000 for his whole contract.

Looks like Abramovich could be opening the Russian vault for Chelsea to go shopping at Dortmund.

If that happens, I expect one of the Manchester clubs to look in the cushions for some extra cash for a Kane deal.

Seems like a solid program.
Leeds are an interesting story - they have won the league 3 times, but they also "did a Leeds" - effectively went bankrupt, and were eventually relegated two levels down to League 1, before earning promotions back the Championship, and then the Premier League.

Current manager is, shall we say, interesting.  But, they do play a very entertaining style, and back down from nobody. 

More importantly - How do you feel about man buns?

And we all know which one will....
I actually think its more likely that your guys get it done, than City.

Spurs continue to say Kane is not for sale - but I think there is still a deal to be had there.  With stadiums given the go-ahead to open up, I think once one domino falls, the big spenders will not hold back.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2021/07/14/florentino-perez-real-madrid-cristiano-ronaldo-jose-mourinho-leaked-audio

The newspaper El Confidencial released audios in which Florentino Pérez reportedly called former player Ronaldo an “imbecile” and “sick.” He reportedly said Ronaldo and former coach Mourinho “were not normal.” He also called Mourinho an “imbecile.”
And that is just the second audio.  The first one caught him slamming Raul and Casillas.

I actually think its more likely that your guys get it done, than City.

Spurs continue to say Kane is not for sale - but I think there is still a deal to be had there.  With stadiums given the go-ahead to open up, I think once one domino falls, the big spenders will not hold back.
I am not so sure I agree.  Would love to believe it, but the owners made their big purchase in Sancho.  I don't see them laying out another 100M+ for Kane.  esp if they do get Varane over the line. They also seemingly want Declan Rice or other CDM who will cost a lot.  Plus they need to sort out Pogba, Lingard and some of the other stragglers (Jones, Pereira).

Keep in mind they were the second highest scoring team last season with Greenwood and Martial struggling for goals.  Their issues were letting in goals.  They have hired a set piece coach to help a lot of that.  De Gea vs Henderson hopefully helps too.

As much as the Glazers need to win back their fans... Kane isn't a priority.  And if Dortmund holds out, United will be in for Halaand next summer.

I am not so sure I agree.  Would love to believe it, but the owners made their big purchase in Sancho.  I don't see them laying out another 100M+ for Kane.  esp if they do get Varane over the line. They also seemingly want Declan Rice or other CDM who will cost a lot.  Plus they need to sort out Pogba, Lingard and some of the other stragglers (Jones, Pereira).

Keep in mind they were the second highest scoring team last season with Greenwood and Martial struggling for goals.  Their issues were letting in goals.  They have hired a set piece coach to help a lot of that.  De Gea vs Henderson hopefully helps too.

As much as the Glazers need to win back their fans... Kane isn't a priority.  And if Dortmund holds out, United will be in for Halaand next summer.
Rashford out for 3 months...Pressure to start the season strong.  If you move Pogba and Lingard, that frees up the money...

Rashford out for 3 months...Pressure to start the season strong.  If you move Pogba and Lingard, that frees up the money...
True, depending on what they get for Pogba (Lingard rumored to be 30m)

Good thing Sancho is in.

Although matchday one I expect to see a starting lineup of Martial Cavani Greenwood due to all the extended vacations and injuries

I am looking forward to a lineup of

Rashford Martial Sancho
          Pogba  Bruno
                 ???
Shaw Maguire Verane AWB

I expect Fred is the CDM unless they get one (Rice?) with rotation and depth of Cavani, Amad, Greenwood, VdB, McT, Bailey, Lindelof, Telles, Dalot

Looks like Abramovich could be opening the Russian vault for Chelsea to go shopping at Dortmund.

If that happens, I expect one of the Manchester clubs to look in the cushions for some extra cash for a Kane deal.
This man is a sicko if anyone wants to go down the Epstien Rabbit hole. His name pops up routinely in those circles 

Looks like Messi has signed a new 5 year contract at Barca.

Messi is about to sign a five year contract with a 50% pay cut to help Barcelona's books.

That's him missing out on:

€250,000 a week.
€1,000,000 a month.
€12,000,000 a year.
€60,000,000 for his whole contract.
Wonder what the handshake agreement for being an ambassador after retirement is worth?

It would have to go down as one of the dumbest management moves ever if Dortmund doesn't accept Chelsea's €150M+ bid this summer.  His release clause for next year is half of that.  Everything I read says their digging their heels in though, so who knows.

MLS Valuations

Range from LA x2 and Atlanta at $800M+ to Colorado Rapids at $370M 
If I was a rich man.... this is where my investment money would go.  I think we're in early 2000s NFL territory here with MLS.  In 2000 the average NFL team was valued at just over $400M.  Now, the average NFL team is valued at over $3B.  I think MLS is about to blow up in the same way.  

Wonder what the handshake agreement for being an ambassador after retirement is worth?
Google Bobby Bonilla former MLB player and his annual July 1st payday....

It would have to go down as one of the dumbest management moves ever if Dortmund doesn't accept Chelsea's €150M+ bid this summer.  His release clause for next year is half of that.  Everything I read says their digging their heels in though, so who knows.
Dortmund wanted €120M for Sancho last year and sold him this year for €85 / £72.9M / $100M

They tend to sell when they want to sell regardless.

Dortmund wanted €120M for Sancho last year and sold him this year for €85 / £72.9M / $100M

They tend to sell when they want to sell regardless.
Same with Lewandowski. Bayern got him for free after Dortmund refused to sell him the prior year to multiple suitors.  Not that I blame them one bit.  That club definitely knows what it is doing.  I don't expect Haaland to leave Dortmund this summer.

The 2021-22 Champions League giving us our first look at life without the Away Goal rule.

Alashkert advanced over Connah's Quay Nomads.  They were 2-2 after both matches, with Alashkert having two away goals, but they went the full Extra Time and Alashkert got the goal to take it.

CFR Cluj advanced over Borac Banja Luka.  They were 3-3 after both matches, with Borac Banja Luka having one away goal, but Extra Time saw Cluj get the goal to advance.

These Florentino Perez leaks just make my day :)

I hope the paper has an endless amount they drop one day at a atime

=====

Florentino on Özil: "Mourinho grew tired of the relationship between Özil and an Italian model, and he told Mesut "You, bream, she has ####ed every Inter player, every Milan player, and the whole staff of those teams"

:lmao:

These Florentino Perez leaks just make my day :)

I hope the paper has an endless amount they drop one day at a atime

=====

Florentino on Özil: "Mourinho grew tired of the relationship between Özil and an Italian model, and he told Mesut "You, bream, she has ####ed every Inter player, every Milan player, and the whole staff of those teams"

:lmao:
for anyone wondering what a bream is: https://www.unlockingthesevern.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Common-Bream-4mb-1024x678.jpg

yes, Flo is referring to the eyes

This is probably another Lucy holds the football story for NYCFC fans but who knows.......

https://www.ft.com/content/c8cdc3f6-b7b9-45a9-8a87-f6e7bb5af92a

Manchester City’s parent company has raised $650m in one of football’s biggest ever debt deals as it seeks to step up investment in its international network of football clubs. City Football Group, the Abu Dhabi-controlled holding company that owns the English Premier League champions alongside clubs in the US, Australia and India, recently raised the loan, which will come due in July 2028, according to multiple people familiar with the transaction.

The debt deal beats the €525m debt refinancing arrangement between Goldman Sachs and Spain’s FC Barcelona agreed in June, and is roughly the level of England’s Tottenham Hotspur, which borrowed £637m in 2019 from a number of banks to build its new stadium.

CFG intends to use the money to fund infrastructure projects such as a new stadium for its Major League Soccer franchise New York City FC, which has been mooted for years but still requires approval from local authorities.

Transfer News Live

@DeadlineDayLive

FIFA are currently experimenting a new football system with these changes: 30 minutes a half. The game clock stops when the ball goes out of play. Unlimited subs. Throw-ins played with feet. 5 minute suspension for a yellow card.

Transfer News Live

@DeadlineDayLive

FIFA are currently experimenting a new football system with these changes: 30 minutes a half. The game clock stops when the ball goes out of play. Unlimited subs. Throw-ins played with feet. 5 minute suspension for a yellow card.
I was musing to myself a couple of days ago that FIFA should just go back and review film of the 1,826 games in the Big 5 European leagues and just time the games for how much dead time there is. Maybe there's an average of 60 minutes of actual play, maybe 70, I dunno, but I don't see how this would imperil the integrity of the game.

I was musing to myself a couple of days ago that FIFA should just go back and review film of the 1,826 games in the Big 5 European leagues and just time the games for how much dead time there is. Maybe there's an average of 60 minutes of actual play, maybe 70, I dunno, but I don't see how this would imperil the integrity of the game.
I think all leagues time this. 

Serie A has been doing this since I started watching them in the late 80's on RAI.  It would always be presented in the summary stats along with shots, corner kicks etc.

If memory serves it was always around 60 minutes but that was "ball in play".  I think they stopped the timer on any injury's/flops/free kicks/goals/subs etc.  I am not sure if FIFA is doing that much on this test or just stopping the clock when it goes out of bounds.  If they are not stopping for all cases, it is a useless test imo.  A team like Honduras can shorten a game dramatically with their antics while the ball is still in bounds.

Originally posted this in the Celebrating Kids Accomplishments thread, but @El Floppo suggested that I also post here to get some more insight:

My son (14, will be a freshman in high school) plays keeper in soccer and is currently debating between two teams. He is certainly leaning a particular way right now, but for those that have worked your way up towards the upper levels of youth club soccer, I'd like to get your input.

Background on my kid - Playing in college is not a top goal of his. He would like to, but he wants to be a pilot and will be choosing his education path based on that (as of now). If playing soccer is the key to getting in the school he wants to go to or can help pay for it, he wants to keep playing in college if it is an option, but he doesn't want to choose a school just because he could play.

Two teams that he is choosing between:

Option 1 - This team is in the NPL Discovery division in SOCAL, which is the top division for Flight 1 (currently only 13 teams in this division), covering teams from Los Angeles, Orange County, Riverside, San Diego and a team from Las Vegas. Head coach is a former keeper and coaches at a local high school and a college. In addition to his team, there is an Academy Level Team and a Pre-MLS team in his age group that he will have the opportunity to train with, and the club will move players between the teams if that is what is best for the teams/players.

Option 2 - This team will be moving into Flight 1 in SOCAL (played Flight 2 last year, only 1 loss in league) but will not be in the Discovery division. Head coach is a younger/newer coach, former professional player, but the club teams he coaches are his primary focus. This team will be the top level team in the club for the age group, though the club, in concert with other local chapters of the club, does have an ECNL team in the age group, however there will not be cross training with that group.

My son has a number of existing friends on the team that is Option 2, a couple will play on the same high school team as my son, and a couple are heading into 8th grade. None would be considered "close friends" though in my opinion. For the team that is Option 1, he has had a chance to get to know some of the players, but from what I know, they are pulled from a slightly larger geographic area and I don't know if there are any that are from the same neighborhoods we are in.

For both teams it will generally be 2 team practices per week with separate additional goalie training. It sounds like Option 1 has up to 2 additional sessions per week for goalies, Option 2 will be once per week.

I am just curious, if you were presented with these two options, which would you choose. Option 1 is a bit more expensive (from what we can tell, about $1K more per year, give or take a bit), but not prohibitively expensive like a couple of the other "academy" teams that have approached us previously.

Appreciate any insight from those that have navigated these waters with their kids.

I think all leagues time this. 

Serie A has been doing this since I started watching them in the late 80's on RAI.  It would always be presented in the summary stats along with shots, corner kicks etc.

If memory serves it was always around 60 minutes but that was "ball in play".  I think they stopped the timer on any injury's/flops/free kicks/goals/subs etc.  I am not sure if FIFA is doing that much on this test or just stopping the clock when it goes out of bounds.  If they are not stopping for all cases, it is a useless test imo.  A team like Honduras can shorten a game dramatically with their antics while the ball is still in bounds.
Not only would this neutralize dawdling tactics but it would also mute the domestic critics who are dismayed by the inconsistencies of time keeping in the game. I have a friend who is particularly incensed by it and I often tease him with tales of a game being won in the 97th minute (after five minutes had been added). He thinks I'm nuts but he loves baseball.

Originally posted this in the Celebrating Kids Accomplishments thread, but @El Floppo suggested that I also post here to get some more insight:

My son (14, will be a freshman in high school) plays keeper in soccer and is currently debating between two teams. He is certainly leaning a particular way right now, but for those that have worked your way up towards the upper levels of youth club soccer, I'd like to get your input.

Background on my kid - Playing in college is not a top goal of his. He would like to, but he wants to be a pilot and will be choosing his education path based on that (as of now). If playing soccer is the key to getting in the school he wants to go to or can help pay for it, he wants to keep playing in college if it is an option, but he doesn't want to choose a school just because he could play.

Two teams that he is choosing between:

Option 1 - This team is in the NPL Discovery division in SOCAL, which is the top division for Flight 1 (currently only 13 teams in this division), covering teams from Los Angeles, Orange County, Riverside, San Diego and a team from Las Vegas. Head coach is a former keeper and coaches at a local high school and a college. In addition to his team, there is an Academy Level Team and a Pre-MLS team in his age group that he will have the opportunity to train with, and the club will move players between the teams if that is what is best for the teams/players.

Option 2 - This team will be moving into Flight 1 in SOCAL (played Flight 2 last year, only 1 loss in league) but will not be in the Discovery division. Head coach is a younger/newer coach, former professional player, but the club teams he coaches are his primary focus. This team will be the top level team in the club for the age group, though the club, in concert with other local chapters of the club, does have an ECNL team in the age group, however there will not be cross training with that group.

My son has a number of existing friends on the team that is Option 2, a couple will play on the same high school team as my son, and a couple are heading into 8th grade. None would be considered "close friends" though in my opinion. For the team that is Option 1, he has had a chance to get to know some of the players, but from what I know, they are pulled from a slightly larger geographic area and I don't know if there are any that are from the same neighborhoods we are in.

For both teams it will generally be 2 team practices per week with separate additional goalie training. It sounds like Option 1 has up to 2 additional sessions per week for goalies, Option 2 will be once per week.

I am just curious, if you were presented with these two options, which would you choose. Option 1 is a bit more expensive (from what we can tell, about $1K more per year, give or take a bit), but not prohibitively expensive like a couple of the other "academy" teams that have approached us previously.

Appreciate any insight from those that have navigated these waters with their kids.
Option 1, for me.  Better competition, more exposure, more opportunities. 

Both are good options, though.  Ultimately I would let him choose.  Congrats to him.

Both are good options, though.  Ultimately I would let him choose.  Congrats to him.
This will 100% be his decision, we've let him know that we would support his choice 100% either way, and when we laid out the pros/cons, he definitely has a preference right now - he just wants to talk to his keeper trainer tomorrow morning at training (he is not involved with either club) to get his input/opinion before making a final decision.

agreed. 

@acarey50 College coaches will always start at the highest levels when recruiting, which means the academies first and then on down the food chain.

The key is playing time.  Removing all other variables you want him to play at the highest level he can manage to get on the field and show what he can do.  It is extraordinarily rare to get a scholarship (or get help getting into college) with out playing and showing even if you are at the highest levels.

Busio to Venezia is official as well as Giroud (who has an Italian background) is now a Milan player. Giroud talked to MilanTV in both English and Italian. Both his grandparents are Italian and he grew up speaking Italian and French. Cool little factoids I never knew and always like OG. 

Transfer News Live

@DeadlineDayLive

Ive always wanted a hockey style penalty for yellows. Makes the professional foul much more dangerous to the guilty party.

Andy- pretty sure I remember the NCAA use the stop and go game clock when we played college ball. A lot of power went to the equipment manager or intern responsible. Gave the fans something to count down in unison with too at the end. Dont hate it.

Kick-ins? Meh. Maybe.

unlimited subs? No gracias.

30 min game clock? Are we talking 3x 30, or 2x 30? Not a fan of either.

Montreal had their first home game tonight since before covid.

Losing 4-2 in the 72nd minute, they came back to win 5-4 for a memorable first game in forever in front of their fans.

Users who are viewing this thread