What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (6 Viewers)

Are you saying they don't show the games, or that what they show sucks?

yes  ;)   But more seriously, I could not watch the Union games live, and often even tape-delayed, while in their own market.  Also, for what it is worth, I am OG Sons of Ben from 2007.  I just think the product stinks and the fact that it was hard to follow on TV when I was all-in on giving them a shot to change my opinion didn't help one bit. 

ETA: you're trying to get me added to Newly Retired's ignore list, aren't you?

yes  ;)   But more seriously, I could not watch the Union games live, and often even tape-delayed, while in their own market.  Also, for what it is worth, I am OG Sons of Ben from 2007.  I just think the product stinks and the fact that it was hard to follow on TV when I was all-in on giving them a shot to change my opinion didn't help one bit. 

ETA: you're trying to get me added to Newly Retired's ignore list, aren't you?
Yes.

They show RB and NYC games live at least, and have replays too as well as pre/post game.

The product isn't Barca vs RM sure, but I've found it pretty comparable to most non-elite teams, even in the big leagues...and if you have a rooting interest, all the better. And the games are mostly competitive decently fought affairs with moments of cool ####. 

I noticed some channel is showing the Honduran 1st division and watched a bit. Woof. I mentioned recently watching the Brazilian 1st div a little...better than Honduras, but weirdly slow and disinterested until the ball got around the box. Even watching Leeg Uh is tough relative to MLS.

Yes.

They show RB and NYC games live at least, and have replays too as well as pre/post game.
I have been to Metrostars games in the Meadowlands... that may have contributed to my initial opinion of the league. :I I did not have cable at that point, so I do not have a frame of reference for the TV coverage back them

I have been to Metrostars games in the Meadowlands... that may have contributed to my initial opinion of the league. :I I did not have cable at that point, so I do not have a frame of reference for the TV coverage back them
Me too.

Not enough "o"s to make the ooooof for those days. Sitting in an empty cavernous stadium with a a few thousand people....Just God awful, as well as tv/news/paper coverage (non existent).

Have you been to RB or new Philly arenas recently for games? Night and day.

To look at instituting.
From reading about it, it basically is the same thing as FFP, except that the penalty for excess spending would be paying a luxury tax instead of the current transfer suspension.  It basically would make it easier for teams like PSG and Man City to spend on players.

From reading about it, it basically is the same thing as FFP, except that the penalty for excess spending would be paying a luxury tax instead of the current transfer suspension.  It basically would make it easier for teams like PSG and Man City to spend on players.
La Liga has a salary cap.  Makes it so you can't register players (as we know from Messi, Aguero and maybe Depay) unless you are under the limit.  This just seems like they should enforce the rules already there, like 6 seconds for a keeper and only the captain can talk to the ref.....

TBF, MLS isn’t great on TV. And I watch a lot of it because soccer>not soccer. I think it’s because the stands aren’t always full and the regular season doesn’t mean a lot. Plus the forced parity and some games on turf. There’s always a narrative of some sort in European leagues. 

That said, the supporters section at Q2 stadium is literally the happiest place on earth.

Italian Calcio CLub SPAL is now American owned making it 8 clubs in Italy's top 2 Division to be owned by Americans now. Another Big win for CALCIO 

SPAL becomes the 3rd team in Serie B to be owned by an American as today Joe Tacopina closed on the club

Serie B: Parma, Pisa, SPAL

Serie A: AC Milan, Fiorentina, Spezia, Venezia & Roma

Gerd Mueller - RIP

Berlin (AFP) – Legendary German striker Gerd Mueller died in the early hours of Sunday at the age of 75, his former club Bayern Munich has confirmed.

During a glittering career, Mueller scored a record 365 goals for Bayern in the Bundesliga during the 1960s and 70s, as well as scoring 68 times for West Germany in 62 internationals.

“Today is a sad, black day for FC Bayern and its fans,” said Bayern president Herbert Hainer.

“Gerd Mueller was the greatest striker there has ever been – and a fine person, a personality in world football.

“Without Gerd Mueller, FC Bayern would not be the club we all love today.

“His name and the memory of him will live on forever.”

For the last few years, Mueller had been suffering from dementia.

He leaves behind his wife Uschi and a daughter.

Gerd Mueller - RIP

Berlin (AFP) – Legendary German striker Gerd Mueller died in the early hours of Sunday at the age of 75, his former club Bayern Munich has confirmed.

During a glittering career, Mueller scored a record 365 goals for Bayern in the Bundesliga during the 1960s and 70s, as well as scoring 68 times for West Germany in 62 internationals.

“Today is a sad, black day for FC Bayern and its fans,” said Bayern president Herbert Hainer.

“Gerd Mueller was the greatest striker there has ever been – and a fine person, a personality in world football.

“Without Gerd Mueller, FC Bayern would not be the club we all love today.

“His name and the memory of him will live on forever.”

For the last few years, Mueller had been suffering from dementia.

He leaves behind his wife Uschi and a daughter.
Just posted in the RIP thread. I wasn't a huge fan of his style, which lacked the flair of some of his counterparts from the time.. but damn if the guy didn't score and win everything. Absolute legend. 

Fabrizio Romano @FabrizioRomano

Tammy Abraham has just landed in Rome. He’ll undergo his medical and then sign as new AS Roma player until June 2026. Salary around €4/5m net per season. #ASRoma

Chelsea will receive €40m plus €5m add ons on permanent deal. €80m buy-back clause starting from June 2023.

Very interested to see how things work out for Tammy and Jose in Rome.

gianmarco said:

something looks off in this video to my eyes.   

When he is playing on the field he looks like he has average athletic ability/speed with an insane level of skill for his age.

But when they show the video's of him training, he looks extremely athletic, quick and fast.  Are the training videos being sped up in any way?

PF | Transfer News

@PurelyFootball

Barcelona president Joan Laporta has opened up about the club's financial situation and has revealed that their debt is currently €1.35 billion.

Isn't that what they paid Messi last year?

Last edited by a moderator:
something looks off in this video to my eyes.   

When he is playing on the field he looks like he has average athletic ability/speed with an insane level of skill for his age.

But when they show the video's of him training, he looks extremely athletic, quick and fast.  Are the training videos being sped up in any way?

This kid has been all over the internet for at least two years (I'm pretty sure I remember the kid's father uploading overhead kicks from when he was four or something).  And I think we're seeing a fairly broad swath of time in the videos.  I also don't think you're going to see a lot of athleticism stand out in U-7 grape ball.  At that age, I'm not sure how a physical drill that the kid has specifically trained for can tell you much about athleticism.  

Remember Pynadath's videos of his trials with Madrid or Barcelona?  Or that kid from the Roma academy who was just dicing kids up in futsal when he was 10?  I'm just not sure there's much to look at until you see someone in at least the U17 level.  By that time, the untalented players have washed out of the academies and you get something resembling a real look.  

At least Pulisic's youth videos were him playing up in age.  

Remember Pynadath's videos of his trials with Madrid or Barcelona?  Or that kid from the Roma academy who was just dicing kids up in futsal when he was 10?  I'm just not sure there's much to look at until you see someone in at least the U17 level.  By that time, the untalented players have washed out of the academies and you get something resembling a real look.  

At least Pulisic's youth videos were him playing up in age.  

I will stake my life that Cavan Sullivan is going to be fabulous :)

Remember Pynadath's videos of his trials with Madrid or Barcelona?
RM and Ajax. I've tried finding him since, but he's fallen off the radar. 

what I recall was that like you said, when he got up in age-groups, he couldn't make the physical jump. sucks- because I don't remember seeing anybody from the us as skillful as his youth videos.

Cavan Sullivan
just spent 5 minutes looking at a 20/21 highlights reel of him hitting confident long range shots over short GKs and making nice runs/getting fed nicely for breakaways to finish. none of it showed me skills that any quick kid with a decent foot wont have. not much shown in the way of foot skills, tbh. But TBF, I gave up with 20 minutes more highlights unseen.

just spent 5 minutes looking at a 20/21 highlights reel of him hitting confident long range shots over short GKs and making nice runs/getting fed nicely for breakaways to finish. none of it showed me skills that any quick kid with a decent foot wont have. not much shown in the way of foot skills, tbh. But TBF, I gave up with 20 minutes more highlights unseen.

he is 11 and the smallest kid on the field playing against 14 year olds (all academy level players), which makes a massive difference.  Jim Curtain said last week that RM and Bayern have already contacted Philly about signing him.

I thought he showed incredible skill in the video I watched.  He hit some one time passes that were fabulous and his tight dribbling was excellent.

I would recommend you watch the whole video if all you got out of it was that he was shooting the ball over small keepers.  His brother (who made the video) broke down his different skill sets into various parts of the video, passing, dribbling, defending, crossing etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recommend you watch the whole video if all you got out of it was that he was shooting the ball over small keepers.
first 5 minutes, that's all there was. nothing else to get.

I watched another 15 minutes which showed more skill on the dribble, pass and defense (nice to see that included here). I'm not seeing CP level ball ability (from CPs little kid running rampant against bigger kids videos), but he's damn good, especially with the ball. great sense of runs and space too. gets a bit static after hitting the initial pass (needs to make the next run), but I don't get the sense that isn't something he'll be able to pick up. and again, really like seeing his ability to track and close defensively.

is he playing as a 10? hard to tell where his preferred position is from these vids.

is he playing as a 10? hard to tell where his preferred position is from these vids.

I think he was a striker in some of the clips and a 10 in the others.  He is probably good enough that he goes where he wants some times to find the ball.

His brother (Quinn, who is on the Union right now) is a decent sized player so I think Cavan likely has plenty of growing to do.  He clearly knows how to use his body even being undersized now so it will be fun to watch him develop.

I think he was a striker in some of the clips and a 10 in the others.  He is probably good enough that he goes where he wants some times to find the ball.

His brother (Quinn, who is on the Union right now) is a decent sized player so I think Cavan likely has plenty of growing to do.  He clearly knows how to use his body even being undersized now so it will be fun to watch him develop.
Cool. Yeah- he was impressive using his speed and positioning to push by or take the ball of off guys a head taller than him. Will be fun to watch him progress.

Interesting tidbit that I realized today - Man City have been blanked in three-consecutive competitive matches:

0-1 to Chelsea in CL Final

0-1 to Leicester in Community Shield 

0-1 to Spurs in League opener.

But they seem to have opted for Grealish over Kane. 🤔

Wolfsburg thrown out of German Cup over subs mix up

Berlin (AFP) – Bundesliga club Wolfsburg have been thrown out of the German Cup after their new coach Mark van Bommel made one more substitution than the rules allow during their first-round win.

The mistake happened when Wolfsburg’s cup tie at fourth-tier minnows Preussen Muenster on August 8 went to extra-time, during which Van Bommel made a sixth substitution. Competition rules allow only five changes.

It was an embarrassing mistake for the ex-Bayern Munich midfielder during his first competitive game in charge of the Wolves, who have qualified for the Champions League.

Wolfsburgwon 3-1 at Muenster after extra time, but the hosts appealed to the German Football Association (DFB) when they realised the visitors’ mistake.

As a result, Munster’s name will go into the draw on August 29 for the second round after the DFB disqualified Wolfsburg on Monday night, and awarded Muenster a 2-0 win, following a five-hour hearing.

“This is the most bitter decision you can make. We had no room for manoeuvre,” said Stephan Oberholz, deputy chairman of the DFB sports court in Frankfurt.

Wolfsburg can appeal the decision and are looking at their legal options.

“We are disappointed and would have preferred a different outcome. We do not agree with the decision and will now examine legal action,” said Wolfsburg’s managing director Dr. Tim Schumacher.

Wolfsburg thrown out of German Cup over subs mix up

Berlin (AFP) – Bundesliga club Wolfsburg have been thrown out of the German Cup after their new coach Mark van Bommel made one more substitution than the rules allow during their first-round win.

The mistake happened when Wolfsburg’s cup tie at fourth-tier minnows Preussen Muenster on August 8 went to extra-time, during which Van Bommel made a sixth substitution. Competition rules allow only five changes.

It was an embarrassing mistake for the ex-Bayern Munich midfielder during his first competitive game in charge of the Wolves, who have qualified for the Champions League.

Wolfsburgwon 3-1 at Muenster after extra time, but the hosts appealed to the German Football Association (DFB) when they realised the visitors’ mistake.

As a result, Munster’s name will go into the draw on August 29 for the second round after the DFB disqualified Wolfsburg on Monday night, and awarded Muenster a 2-0 win, following a five-hour hearing.

“This is the most bitter decision you can make. We had no room for manoeuvre,” said Stephan Oberholz, deputy chairman of the DFB sports court in Frankfurt.

Wolfsburg can appeal the decision and are looking at their legal options.

“We are disappointed and would have preferred a different outcome. We do not agree with the decision and will now examine legal action,” said Wolfsburg’s managing director Dr. Tim Schumacher.
Wow.  I can imagine a mix up by the coaches, esp with how often the subbing rules change and are different across some competitions, but is the ref or 4th official not allowed to tell them they used their 5 subs?

Wow.  I can imagine a mix up by the coaches, esp with how often the subbing rules change and are different across some competitions, but is the ref or 4th official not allowed to tell them they used their 5 subs?
Good question.  It's like trying to call a 4th timeout in the NFL, you would think the referee would just not allow it.

Sky Sport is reporting that Milan have an agreement in principle with Bordeuax to sign midfielder Yacine Adli. The deal reportedly will be for about €10 million euros including bonuses as Adli will be given a 4-year contract at Milan to be the fourth midfielder in the rotation. Sky has added that the agreement has been found and go as far as to say that player will arrive in Italy in the coming days to undergo his medicals and sign his contract. A number of reports suggested that Adli was on the bench for Bordeaux’s game this past weekend due to injury or as a technical decision but Sky’s Nicolo Schira is reporting that it is an indication that we are close to an agreement for the player and he will likely join Milan this week so the move was to stop any injury.

Danny Armstrong a Russian journalist is reporting today that Milan could close a deal for CSKA Moscow’s Midfielder Nikola Vlasic in the coming days. The Russian club has reportedly opened up to a loan move with a buyout clause. He is reporting that Vlasic can leave on a €10 million euros paid loan with an obligation to buy at around €20 million. However Sky Sport’s Nicolo Schira is reporting that Milan are still evaluating the move and Vlasic is reportedly waiting for Milan to make an offer. Schira reports that Milan have not been able to find an agreement with CSKA Moscow yet.

Milan talks to Chelsea again about Tiemoue Bakayoko. An agreement is becoming more likely. The possible transfer of the Frenchman does not exclude the transfer of Yacine Adli.

[Fabrizio Romano, Gianluca Di Marzio]

Reaching an agreement on the transfer of Alessandro Florenzi is a matter of hours.

Probable transfer conditions:

- loan: 1 million euros

- option to buy: 3,5-4 million euros

[Gianluca Di Marzio]

Alessandro Florenzi's medical tests should take place on Thursday.

[Louis Girardi]

Saw he was left off the UEFA Euro (whatever the heck Spurs play in) travelling squad for the midweek match.
Yeah - lots of movement overnight.

City apparently willing to meet the minimum price of £150.  Of course, now, people suspect Levy will up the price...

Kane has hired a PR firm - not necessarily an upgrade over his brother, but clearly trying something different 

Several articles came out last night - all seemingly from Kane's camp, trying to blame Levy, but most reaction I saw this morning was from Kane's few remaining supporters being done with his antics.

He was registered for this stage of the competition - but presumably was never intended to travel to the away match, and would theoretically be available if needed next week for the home tie. 

Users who are viewing this thread