What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (2 Viewers)

In the short term, Conte may be able to right the ship. Not sure if he's a long term answer.

Not sure who would be a better fit. Conte, Zidane, ??.  Do you wait until summer and go after the Ajax coach or Poch (again?)?

Long term, as long as the keep going in the direction Ole set them up with in recruiting and player purchases, they have a chance to sustain. 

They need some structure and organization in the way they play.  It can not just be "go express yourself" going forward and McFred "run around and protect the back line" any longer.  Their transition to defense vs the counter is so bad.  No hustle back, not positional sense....

They also do not press as a team.  You all either go, or no one does.

RBs building a new training facility for RB, RB2 and academy in NJ. About an hour from the city, 30-40 mins from RB Arena. Should be done in 2024.

--------------------------------------------------

The New York Red Bulls will announce plans for a new privately-funded training complex located in Morris Township on Wednesday, NJ Advance Media has learned.

The 80-acre complex, which will be located on the site of Honeywell’s former headquarters off of Columbia Road, will feature eight full-size outdoor soccer pitches and house the club’s front office staff. It will be the home of the Red Bulls’ first team, the Red Bulls II reserve squad, and the club’s academy and youth training programs.

I just realized that United don't have a mid-week game this week.  Seems unfair.
Well, that's what happens when you lose to WHU in the league cup....

I wonder if limiting the League Cup to teams not in Europe would make it better?  Seems none of the top teams take it seriously and a lot of their 2nd teams can beat most lower team's starting 11.  You already have the FA Cup... why not remove teams in Europe so teams like Arsenal (and United next year) have a chance?

RBs building a new training facility for RB, RB2 and academy in NJ. About an hour from the city, 30-40 mins from RB Arena. Should be done in 2024.

--------------------------------------------------

The New York Red Bulls will announce plans for a new privately-funded training complex located in Morris Township on Wednesday, NJ Advance Media has learned.

The 80-acre complex, which will be located on the site of Honeywell’s former headquarters off of Columbia Road, will feature eight full-size outdoor soccer pitches and house the club’s front office staff. It will be the home of the Red Bulls’ first team, the Red Bulls II reserve squad, and the club’s academy and youth training programs.

15 minutes away from my house. Very cool. I'm sure it will turn out great 

I wonder if limiting the League Cup to teams not in Europe would make it better?  Seems none of the top teams take it seriously and a lot of their 2nd teams can beat most lower team's starting 11.  You already have the FA Cup... why not remove teams in Europe so teams like Arsenal (and United next year) have a chance?

West Ham single-handedly taking out Manchester.

League Cup = Caribou cup.... right?

I have to say- I never understood the need for this one with the FA Cup already in place. It's like having the US Open Cup along with a US Mostly Open Cup.

League Cup = Caribou cup.... right?

I have to say- I never understood the need for this one with the FA Cup already in place. It's like having the US Open Cup along with a US Mostly Open Cup.
Correct. 

The Caribao cup is only for teams in the football league system, so basically the top four divisions. 
FA Cup is for any team at any level. 

West Ham single-handedly taking out Manchester.
Guess City won't be going for 6 in a row. Or the Quadruple.

Martyn Ziegler

@martynziegler

EXCL: Five substitutions in football set to become permanent - proposed at International FA Board panel meeting today and strongly supported. Will put renewed pressure on Premier League to follow the rest of football from next season

Some traditionallist are gonna hate this, however this is great in terms of fitness and teams wanting to play youth players. For one this helps prevent injuries and maybe allows a team to possible bring a guy coming back onto the pitch without thinking one of the 3 subs needs to be wasted. This also helps rotation for players who can't physically always play a full 90 back to back. Finally it gives more options of players to bring on for managers hesitant to use 3 subs on younger players.  

Probably overdue. Obviously a club legend stepping in a difficult time (with a lot of injuries), but the results were just not acceptable with the level of talent still there. The tactics never really evolved and the team looks consistently vulnerable. A big credit to how he trusted and developed younger players though.
Every time I watch them, I'm not sure if it's tactical or just not having the horses...but the MF in particular almost always looks overwhelmed and disjointed from the defense. Also seems to lack the cutting quality to break down a deep block when they do get on the front foot.

Some traditionallist are gonna hate this, however this is great in terms of fitness and teams wanting to play youth players. For one this helps prevent injuries and maybe allows a team to possible bring a guy coming back onto the pitch without thinking one of the 3 subs needs to be wasted. This also helps rotation for players who can't physically always play a full 90 back to back. Finally it gives more options of players to bring on for managers hesitant to use 3 subs on younger players.  
With the amount of games being played every year this had to be done.  I think it will help provided some coaches understand how to sub

Does this 5 subs thing potentially make it even harder for minnows to compete since they won't really have the depth like the big clubs? I won't have to worry about it in the next year or two because we have oil and murder money, of course.

Every time I watch them, I'm not sure if it's tactical or just not having the horses...but the MF in particular almost always looks overwhelmed and disjointed from the defense. Also seems to lack the cutting quality to break down a deep block when they do get on the front foot.

It's certainly puzzling how much better players like Pedri, De Jong, and even Busquets look with their national teams vs how they do with Barcelona. There have been a lot of complaints in places I read about how he never rested Pedri and often looked tired in games as well as never really using an attacking midfielder like Puig. Injuries also a big factor with how seldom Fati or Dembele have been available. 

I think the best he set up Barcelona was playing De Jong as the sweeper in a 3-5-2. While that gets rid of the most creative midfielder, it made the defense and distribution out of the back much more stable. Dest and Alba are also best when they aren't expected to defend full-time (because they are not very good at it). Still was very dependent on Messi magic to score with long stretches of inability to attack.

Koeman definitely tried different formations to get around the lack of a #9 and just very poor central defenders, but it just never really worked.

It's certainly puzzling how much better players like Pedri, De Jong, and even Busquets look with their national teams vs how they do with Barcelona. There have been a lot of complaints in places I read about how he never rested Pedri and often looked tired in games as well as never really using an attacking midfielder like Puig. Injuries also a big factor with how seldom Fati or Dembele have been available. 

I think the best he set up Barcelona was playing De Jong as the sweeper in a 3-5-2. While that gets rid of the most creative midfielder, it made the defense and distribution out of the back much more stable. Dest and Alba are also best when they aren't expected to defend full-time (because they are not very good at it). Still was very dependent on Messi magic to score with long stretches of inability to attack.

Koeman definitely tried different formations to get around the lack of a #9 and just very poor central defenders, but it just never really worked.
they definitely look better with Fati running with Memphis. even that one extra player of quality in attack helps stabilize the team. 

whatever the opposite of clinical is-  profligate?- that was them yesterday. PK miss. Dest skying from 3 yards. And then one after another ok chance that gets a foot wrong either on the chance or in the set-up. kinda like watching the US vs concacaf teams that shouldn't be on the same level.

I know De Jong is well rated and was lights out with Ajax... but I haven't seen him produce much of anything with Barca in my limited viewing. I'm not even sure what role he's playing with him- 6, 8, 10? 

Does this 5 subs thing potentially make it even harder for minnows to compete since they won't really have the depth like the big clubs? I won't have to worry about it in the next year or two because we have oil and murder money, of course.

Yes - I think it almost certainly favors big money teams.

Former Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Erik Lamela hopes that Spurs fans will remember his time at the club for always giving everything for the badge:

"For Tottenham fans, I think I will be remembered well. For the other clubs, maybe not."

🥰

He played for other clubs?

Ask people who support other clubs in the PL what they think of Lamela...

Liverpool fans are still driven to tears at the thought of VVD kicking the crap out of Lamela for a late Pen.

Man United fans were appalled when Martial slugged Lamela for an ill-timed red card.

And Chelsea fans are stomping mad at Lamela for not being able to see Fabregas' hand when Lamela walked by.

Liverpool fans are still driven to tears at the thought of VVD kicking the crap out of Lamela for a late Pen.

Man United fans were appalled when Martial slugged Lamela for an ill-timed red card.

And Chelsea fans are stomping mad at Lamela for not being able to see Fabregas' hand when Lamela walked by.
Slugged?

Kicked the crap out of?

Other than the rabonas, which are BS, I don't really think much about this dude.

Other than the rabonas, which are BS, I don't really think much about this dude.
one of the finest players to ever wear a #### on his shirt. A true gentleman and a    proper ####. 

As an aside, the 6 years that I drafted Lamela, I finished in the money. The one year I did not draft him, I finished 7th. 

After 10 games Tuchel's Chelsea are on pace to break their own seemingly unbreakable record of conceding just 15 goals in a Premier League season - held by Jose's 04/05 team.  Mendy on 6 clean sheets has a shot at Cech's record of 24 in a season, although he's going to miss a few games for the ACN in January-February.

No offense to my Chelsea friends, but I feel like Liverpool picking up a point on City > losing two to Chelsea.  If everyone's form reverts back to the underlying measures City is still the one to beat IMO.

No offense to my Chelsea friends, but I feel like Liverpool picking up a point on City > losing two to Chelsea.  If everyone's form reverts back to the underlying measures City is still the one to beat IMO.
City and Liverpool are the more eye-catching, visually "better" team, but Chels is grinding out wins even with a bunch of injuries..reminds me of Sir Al's United teams.

City and Liverpool are the more eye-catching, visually "better" team, but Chels is grinding out wins even with a bunch of injuries..reminds me of Sir Al's United teams.
Not just that, but Mendy has been a difference maker (especially compared to Kepa).

Users who are viewing this thread