What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (8 Viewers)

Andy Dufresne said:
It's almost like there are two Mark Wahlbergs. One that can't act and stars in movies like The Happening and Transformers and another that's awesome in movies like Patriots Day and ...well a couple others.
Plot twist.  IT'S THE SAME GUY!!!!

Tophat- '36 musical with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. I don't watch many musicals but this was is well reviewed, so I figured it was worth a shot. It's 70% a slapstick comedy of mistaken identity and 30% a song and dance. It works on every level. It is just a slick comedy, full of wordplay and irony. The singing and dancing blends in smoothly, forwards the plot and is fun. I am pleasantly surprised that this is indeed a great movie. 

My roommate is watching Billy Madison. I watched maybe 5 minutes. 

I imagine a 12 year old boy would laugh at this, but it was horrible. Steve Martins mute character in "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" was Albert Einstein compared to Adam Sandler

And my roommate I'd laughing his ### off

I imagine a 12 year old boy would laugh at this, but it was horrible. Steve Martins mute character in "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" was Albert Einstein compared to Adam Sandler

I didn't like Billy Madison, but badmouth Happy Gilmore and you'll be sorry!

Become a drunken college student and you'll love it.

I didn't like Billy Madison, but badmouth Happy Gilmore and you'll be sorry!
:goodposting:

A couple of movies on a plane:

Sicario - Really liked it. Had it on my Netflix queue forever but never got around to watching it. Great realistic action scenes, good cast and interesting twist (why she was brought aboard) 3.5/5
So I happened catch a clip of the extraction scene on Facebook. Immediately watched the whole movie on Amazon. Absolutely one of the best movies I've seen in years. Wow. Just beginning to end, solid. I thought Brolin and Del Torro were absolutely brilliant. I thought Blunt was great but her character disappointed me in so many ways I'm sure it kept me from appreciating her more. What I get from this movie is I think Blunts character reprints a general pereption of both how the drug war is going and how it should go. Everything happening around her represents reality. I just really think that a majority of our population would not be capable of understanding what is and needs to be happening in this part of the world. 

Solid 5/5 for me. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet Smell of Success - 8/10

The first half of the movie made me antsy because I felt I wasn't tracking all that was going on. Then I realized it didn't matter - the point was that Falco would do anything to get ahead.

And when things all come to a head, the last half hour is awesome.

Entertaining from start to finish.
I saw it when it first came out. Then I watched it again on demand. Usually when I watch something I've already seen I will fast forward through the boring parts. The Accountant has no boring parts. This is unusual these days. Good film.  

Sweet Smell of Success - 8/10

The first half of the movie made me antsy because I felton I wasn't tracking all that was going on. Then I realized it didn't matter - the point was that Falco would do anything to get ahead.

And when things all come to a head, the last half hour is awesome.
Good movie and the cinematography of NY is ahead of its time 

Yeah, that is going to be challenging but it looks like they intend to have a lot of fun with it.
Hardcore Henry: HOLY CRAP!!! This was an absurd flick from start to finish!!  I'd been putting off watching it because of the reviews and I can't friggin stand shows that do that whole wiggly, jiggly, zoom in and out 84 times a minute crap (Modern Family). But this was a total blast. Definitely not for the squeamish tho. Solid 9/10 for me

Slow West  8.5/10   A 16 year old Scottish wet behind the ears type strikes out across the Old West in search of his lost love. And he's not the only one looking for her. Solid Western that may move a little slow at first, but definitely delivers the goods.

So I happened catch a clip of the extraction scene on Facebook. Immediately watched the whole movie on Amazon. Absolutely one of the best movies I've seen in years. Wow. Just beginning to end, solid. I thought Brolin and Del Torro were absolutely brilliant. I thought Blunt was great but her character disappointed me in so many ways I'm sure it kept me from appreciating her more. What I get from this movie is I think Blunts character reprints a general pereption of both how the drug war is going and how it should go. Everything happening around her represents reality. I just really think that a majority of our population would not be capable of understanding what is and needs to be happening in this part of the world. 

Solid 5/5 for me. 
Brolin's character stares near the end of the movie that the CIA can't operate on American soil, so they need an FBI agent along to make it all ok. 

I just got an email this morning for an early screening of the sequel to this, Soldado. I cant wait to see it. 

I tuink the guy that wrote this movie is amazing. His name is Taylor Sheridan. For you Sons of Snarchy fans, he played sheriff Hale on the show. DiCaprio was the first screenplay he ever wrote. His follow up was a little movie called Hell or High Water. Pretty amazing. 

HOLY CRAP!!! This was an absurd flick from start to finish!!  I'd been putting off watching it because of the reviews and I can't friggin stand shows that do that whole wiggly, jiggly, zoom in and out 84 times a minute crap (Modern Family). But this was a total blast. Definitely not for the squeamish tho. Solid 9/10 for me
Yeah I finally saw Hardcore Henry too and I gotta say that I enjoyed it as well.  Fun flick.  First person perspective didn't bother me in the least.

Solid 5/5 for me. 
Two thumbs way up for Sicario. 

Sicario - 7/10

The good parts are really good (when they go into Juarez, for example).

But Blunt's character is poorly written with little subtlety and doesn't effectively serve as the viewer's proxy in the events.
Sicario...not great. Or even very good. Should have made it a 6/6.5.

Sicario - 7/10

The good parts are really good (when they go into Juarez, for example).

But Blunt's character is poorly written with little subtlety and doesn't effectively serve as the viewer's proxy in the events.
Sicario...not great. Or even very good. Should have made it a 6/6.5.
I"m going to go ahead and wait for the rubber comment next year before I start gauging what's what.

Megan Leavey was outstanding.  Can't believe I'd never heard of it.  Only reason I went is because it was 82% on RT.

Dear Hollywood, more movies like this please, less like Transformers 9: Why do people keep paying for this?

TIA

Megan Leavey was outstanding.  Can't believe I'd never heard of it.  Only reason I went is because it was 82% on RT.

Dear Hollywood, more movies like this please, less like Transformers 9: Why do people keep paying for this?

TIA
that's really nice to hear.  I may take my daughter this weekend.  Let the waterworks begin!

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

Ugh. What a mess. I consider myself a Guy Ritchie fan. But why are giant elephants in this movie? And where's Merlin? I'm the guy that gets pissed at films when they have a white guy playing an Asian character. Hey, diversity in film is great. The Fast and Furious franchise does a good job with this. But wait, we're to believe that King Arthur was buddies with a black guy and an Asian dude? Anyway, avoid this movie at all costs. 
I concur. Just a horrible movie in all respects. Jax should have stayed with Sons of Anarchy. 

Baby Driver

I'm going to recommend this movie despite some flaws. Some excellent stunt driving and funny moments make it worth a viewing. However, I think the lead character is going to turn some viewers off. Baby is SO confident and SO great at everything, he comes across as pretty arrogant. I think you're going to like the movie overall. Just be warned...

Once Upon A Time In America (long version)

Watched this again, over a couple days.

I described it to my daughter as: long, complex, gangster epic, with surprisingly the greatest soundtrack in the history of cinema
Weird... Just thought about this movie a couple days ago and read the wiki article about it as well

Was Leone's last film... Never knew till the other day.

Users who are viewing this thread