Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition

On 7/19/2017 at 10:55 PM, KarmaPolice said:

Top 5 movie for me, and might be one of the most quotable movie too.  

Still heckle my cousins I watched it first with back then when we see each other (summer, holidays)...major malfunction, steers and queers, golf ball thru a garden hose, reach around, did your parents have any children that lived...timeless.

Dunkirk

It's brilliant.  I loved it.  But, it's uniquely great.  It doesn't have a traditional Hollywood movie story-line arc.  It doesn't have a main character story you follow. It has individual characters that are all going through this experience in their own way and you get put into each of their shoes.  It's emotional. The musical score is GREAT! 

The  only negatives, which aren't necessarily problems, it has shifting time frames that originally are a little confusing, and music is sometimes too loud over dialogue.

One of those movies that when it ended, I had to think about what I just saw, and then today, I can't get it out of my head.  Really Great Film!!

Edited by On The Rocks

1 minute ago, On The Rocks said:

Dunkirk

It's brilliant.  I loved it.  But, it's uniquely great.  It doesn't have a traditional Hollywood movie story-line arc.  It doesn't have a main character story you follow. It has individual characters that are all going through this experience in their own way and you get put into each of their shoes.  It's emotional. The musical score is GREAT! 

The  only negatives, which aren't necessarily problems, it has shifting time frames that originally are a little confusing, and music is sometimes too loud over dialogue.

One of those movies that when it ended, I had to think about what I just saw, and then today, I can't get it out of my head.  Really Great Film!!

Hmmm. A continuing problem with Nolan movies. It was a criticism of Dark Knight Rises and particularly Interstellar as well.

10 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

The Wolfpack:

Interesting little doc about a family in NY that because of their father's odd beliefs, very rarely leave their apartment (they said some years 7-8 times, a one year they never left the place).  Doesn't really go anywhere specific or have a clean finale, but still fascinating.  The boys ended up killing time by watching a crap-load of movie and reenacting them, so I thought at least that aspect would be up people's alley around here.  Not the best doc I have seen, but well worth the watch.

these guys live down the street several blocks from me... I know I saw them around some- REALLY hard to miss. but of course had no idea wtf their story was... pretty insane. and I agree- the story is better than the doc itself. but very worth watching.

9 hours ago, cockroach said:

I watched this again recently because I saw one of the bros as an extra in some other film was watching with my lady.  There's also a follow-up doc with them going out to Hollywood and having some meetings. One of them is a film maker or something.  

I think they're all great and odd and quirky and wish them all the best. Happy to see them out living normal lives. Good doc. 

oh wow- didn't know about the follow up- will have to find that.

yeah- I felt the same way... they came across as interesting and nice dudes in that first doc... also came away wishing them success.

10 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

10 hours ago, Mr. Mojo said:

I got so tired of the voice overs in it, that I found myself saying "Shut up!" to the screen.

That's never a good sign.

Yeah, I can't give a good reason that my strong dislike of voiceover doesn't apply to Mr. Malick's movies. 

I'm in the same boat. love this movie, but also find myself wanting to reach through the screen and punch the one guy with his wife story-arc (look at me- I'm swinging on a swing... I'm bathing... we're in love). the rest of the voice-overs didn't bother me as much. and I still find myself forgiving most of the crap caviezel has done since because of this movie where I thought he was great.

4 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

45 minutes ago, Homer J Simpson said:

Almost 20 years later and I'm still pissed.

I assume you 2 saw this in the theater? 

Was this the same year as Private Ryan? 

I loved seeing it in the theater... malick's visuals are always amazing- and that much more so on a big screen. the voice-overs are bad big screen or small.

• Like 1

Finally got around to seeing The Accountant.  I will preface this comment by stating that I am not a Ben Affleck fan at all.  The only two movies I liked him in were Dazed and Confused and Good Will Hunting until now.  Really liked this movie and was impressed with Affleck's acting.  Great movie.  4.5/5

Edited by Osaurus
  • Like 8

Gun Crazy

Pretty good movie and I can see how it was influential for movies like Breathless and Bonnie and Clyde. For 1950, I can imagine it was very edgy. However, B/C and Breathless were both better versions of this picture. 

Notorious

I hadn't seen this in awhile, but wow is this a great film. I put this just a shade below Casablanca (maybe it's Bergman/Rains, but I felt a lot of the same vibes). I might bump this ahead of North by Northwest as my favorite Hitchcock film. 

23 hours ago, Osaurus said:

Finally got around to seeing The Accountant.  I will preface this comment by stating that I am not a Ben Affleck fan at all.  The only two movies I liked him in were Dazed and Confused and Good Will Hunting until now.  Really liked this movie and was impressed with Affleck's acting.  Great movie.  4.5/5

This movie kicked serious ###.  Loved the autistic hero.  

• Like 1

Kong Skull Island B I wish I could like this more but it missed for me. Tom Hiddelston and Brie Larson were wasted. John C Reilly was good and nice to see him get an "And" in the credits.

Samuel L. Jackson should have taken his advice from "Pulp Fiction". Everybody be cool like Fonzie, instead of blasting Kong.

42 minutes ago, badmojo1006 said:

Kong Skull Island B I wish I could like this more but it missed for me. Tom Hiddelston and Brie Larson were wasted. John C Reilly was good and nice to see him get an "And" in the credits.

Samuel L. Jackson should have taken his advice from "Pulp Fiction". Everybody be cool like Fonzie, instead of blasting Kong.

Nah, then Samuel J wouldn't be annoying, like practically every other movie he is in.

• Like 1

In a Valley of Violence - Its kind of like a B Western but with a great cast - Ethan Hawke, John Travolta, Ziggy from WIre Season 2, and a great dog. Its really well done. Reminds me a lot of an old Clint Eastwood western. Kind of a cross between Hang 'Em High and High Plains Drifter. I'm not saying its as good as those, but that's the basic storyline.

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

In reference to the recent talk of war movies, Dunkirk gives all those movies a serious run for their money. See that movie at the local IMAX sooner rather than later. 

I rarely see movies in the theater a second time.  A high estimate would be 3 times. 
I've already made plans to see Dunkirk a second time.  It's such a great piece of movie making. 

1 hour ago, whoknew said:

Keeping up with the Joneses - This got terrible reviews but I'm not really sure why. It wasn't fantastic but it had a few laughs, a car chase, and some really attractive women. There are worse ways to spend 2 hours.

Yep - Gadot is ridiculous and so is Fishers rack

Hacksaw Ridge - I should have liked this more.  I always research the "truth" after and the real story was incredible.  I just can't stand the lead actor for some reason.   

Still a decent movie overall but felt like it should have been closer to great.

3 minutes ago, On The Rocks said:

I rarely see movies in the theater a second time.  A high estimate would be 3 times. 
I've already made plans to see Dunkirk a second time.  It's such a great piece of movie making. 

Yep, I saw it with a friend yesterday and am now planning to see it with my wife sometime in the next week. 

2 hours ago, whoknew said:

In a Valley of Violence - Its kind of like a B Western but with a great cast - Ethan Hawke, John Travolta, Ziggy from WIre Season 2, and a great dog. Its really well done. Reminds me a lot of an old Clint Eastwood western. Kind of a cross between Hang 'Em High and High Plains Drifter. I'm not saying its as good as those, but that's the basic storyline.

does the dog die?

Spiderman: Homecoming -

Very much to my surprise I am right in step with @jdoggydogg on this one.  (not the fact that I am agreeing with you, more that I was reluctant to watch this one b/c I didn't love him in Civil War like a ton of people seemed to).  I had a blast with this one and actually think it's an upper tier Marvel movie.  I loved that we didn't feel the need for backstory and origins.  Also after all the galactic stakes and big Transformers monsters that is prevalent in a lot of the Marvel movies now as they ramp up, I really appreciated the focused story and smaller stakes here.  Keaton is easily the best Marvel bad guy and liked the blue collar tie-in to the other Avengers movie with the character.  I laughed a bit and really liked the humor too - especially the Capt. America PSAs and the end credit scene.  I think the only thing I didn't like was the KC Undercover chick as the bland 'friend'.  I had to laugh at @EYLive's comment about this being a teen movie since I seemed to like this a bit more than my son and he liked GotG much more than I. 

On a side note, can we please stop with the growing fashion trend of the shorts and jeans with the really high Grannie waists?  It's hard to make Marisa Tomei unattractive, but those shorts really tried their best.  Just terrible. 

47 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo said:

Just watched Fences and didn't like it much.

Slow, too much like an overly talkative play, and Denzel's character is over the top unlikable. 

On the positive side, the acting by all was very good, especially Viola Davis.

Wasn't it based on a play?

1 hour ago, Osaurus said:

Swiss Army Man

Didn't know what to expect with this one and I certainly got it.  Definitely original and overall interesting.  4/5

I watched it last year or so and still don't know what to expect.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2017 at 8:29 AM, Ilov80s said:

Notorious

I hadn't seen this in awhile, but wow is this a great film. I put this just a shade below Casablanca (maybe it's Bergman/Rains, but I felt a lot of the same vibes). I might bump this ahead of North by Northwest as my favorite Hitchcock film. 

i can't wait for my kid to be old enough to introduce Hitchcock to him.

• Like 4

Just now, saintfool said:

That is awesome and is the one thing I regret about not having kids. My best memories with my dad was him showing me Marx Brothers, 3 Stooges, Chaplin, old horror movies and then eventually Hitchcock movies, Bogart movies, etc. Ditto for classic rock, jazz, blues and classical music. I feel pretty fortunate to have had that early exposure to the arts. Sadly, my wife and her family are the total opposite. They have never seen a silent movie or a movie with subtitles, they couldn't tell Cary Grant from Spencer Tracy or Bach from Coltrane. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

39 minutes ago, saintfool said:

That is awesome and is the one thing I regret about not having kids. My best memories with my dad was him showing me Marx Brothers, 3 Stooges, Chaplin, old horror movies and then eventually Hitchcock movies, Bogart movies, etc. Ditto for classic rock, jazz, blues and classical music. I feel pretty fortunate to have had that early exposure to the arts. Sadly, my wife and her family are the total opposite. They have never seen a silent movie or a movie with subtitles, they couldn't tell Cary Grant from Spencer Tracy or Bach from Coltrane. 

was just talking with my brother about my 10yo son being ready for monty python (flying circus). I'll want to watch wtih him, which makes it tougher- since our 6yo daughter gets insanely jealous.

eta: also just talking with son's gb's parents who said they just showed him Marx bros... and he loved them.

Edited by El Floppo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

was just talking with my brother about my 10yo son being ready for monty python (flying circus). I'll want to watch wtih him, which makes it tougher- since our 6yo daughter gets insanely jealous.

eta: also just talking with son's gb's parents who said they just showed him Marx bros... and he loved them.

I have 2 nieces and a nephew (ages 7-8) and I played Mozart for them when they were 4-5, showed them pictures of Wolfgang as kid and then every time I see them they want to see Wolfgang and listen. The older daughter watched a movie of The Magic Flute in school and was excited that she knew about Mozart and the other kids in class didn't. Then she proceeded to give me a 10 minute run down of Papageno and the Queen. Her parents had no idea what she was talking about. Then, I started showing them clips of Chaplin, Harold Lloyd and Buster Keaton from Youtube on my phone. That's their new obsession. "I want to see Charlie Chaplin roller skate again. Show me where Charlie Chaplin gets in the lions cage." Again, their parents have no clue who or what Charlie Chaplin is which I find funny. 

Edited by Ilov80s

30 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

i have shown him bits of older, black-and-white films on occasion via youtube. mainly to show him historical events and the like. he still has that disconnect in his brain about the color world he lives in, experiences and interacts with everyday and the B/W world sometimes shown. it's fun to walk him through it as a 7 year old.

Just now, saintfool said:

i have shown him bits of older, black-and-white films on occasion via youtube. mainly to show him historical events and the like. he still has that disconnect in his brain about the color world he lives in, experiences and interacts with everyday and the B/W world sometimes shown. it's fun to walk him through it as a 7 year old.

Funny my nieces and nephew never asked about the lack of color. They did ask why Charlie never talks. They seemed find with the answer that they didn't have sound in movies then. The black and white thing is a real issue for many thought. My wife is 34 and she wouldn't even think of watching something in black and white. 

8 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Funny my nieces and nephew never asked about the lack of color. They did ask why Charlie never talks. They seemed find with the answer that they didn't have sound in movies then. The black and white thing is a real issue for many thought. My wife is 34 and she wouldn't even think of watching something in black and white. 

Pacing and sound design are different in older films for sure. That said, I think my boy could handle it with introductions to Harold Lloyd, Marx Bros, Chaplin, Keaton, and other similar shorter films. 

3 minutes ago, saintfool said:

Pacing and sound design are different in older films for sure. That said, I think my boy could handle it with introductions to Harold Lloyd, Marx Bros, Chaplin, Keaton, and other similar shorter films. 

Definitely, I just show them short clips from Youtube- they are basically human cartoons so the kids can kind of relate.