• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KarmaPolice

• jdoggydogg

• Ilov80s

• El Floppo

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know those movies aren't really about him, right?

so THAT'S why i never see you at our Paint Your Wagon discussion groups...

Finally got around to seeing The Accountant.  I will preface this comment by stating that I am not a Ben Affleck fan at all.  The only two movies I liked him in were Dazed and Confused and Good Will H

My city is on fire, so needing some comic relief, I took my son to see the Lego Ninjago Movie. If you enjoyed previous Lego movies, you'll probably like this one. Pretty good.

On 10/11/2017 at 8:48 AM, KarmaPolice said:

What are these movie things you people speak of?  I need to kick my ### in gear...

Same....about to fire one up. Football has been getting in the way of my reading and movie watching.

On 10/11/2017 at 8:48 AM, KarmaPolice said:

What are these movie things you people speak of?  I need to kick my ### in gear...

Same....about to fire one up. Football has been getting in the way of my reading and movie watching.

12 minutes ago, jdoggydogg said:

My city is on fire, so needing some comic relief, I took my son to see the Lego Ninjago Movie. If you enjoyed previous Lego movies, you'll probably like this one. Pretty good.

Forgot you were right in the thick of this. You guys ok so far? Have you been evacuated? 

We saw Ninjago too. Not as good as the others and starting to see some repeated themes... But still fun.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Forgot you were right in the thick of this. You guys ok so far? Have you been evacuated? 

We saw Ninjago too. Not as good as the others and starting to see some repeated themes... But still fun.

Our home is safe so far. But many relatives and coworkers lost their homes.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I picked the wrong one last night and fired up:

A Ghost Story:

Sounded interesting and love the people in it - C.Affleck and R.Mara.  I think this one was actually decently rated too.  Somewhere deep there was a really good idea here, but I just could not do the pacing.  There were actually times where I thought my dvd player paused or was skipping because the shot would just linger there for 1min+.  I think I was done with it after about 30mins, and then it really started to get weird and time travel-y.  Long story short, I wouldn't recommend this one at all.  4/10

Not sure tonight will turn out much better as I think Alien Covenant is on deck. 

2 minutes ago, jdoggydogg said:

Our home is safe so far. But many relatives and coworkers lost their homes.

fingers' crossed for you- keep safe!. sorry to hear about your people.. sucks. hopefully everybody healthy at least. I've had two friends lose everything there- but safe. also :knockonwood: a bunch who are still unaffected (aside from ash and smoke).

• Like 2
1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

I picked the wrong one last night and fired up:

A Ghost Story:

Sounded interesting and love the people in it - C.Affleck and R.Mara.  I think this one was actually decently rated too.  Somewhere deep there was a really good idea here, but I just could not do the pacing.  There were actually times where I thought my dvd player paused or was skipping because the shot would just linger there for 1min+.  I think I was done with it after about 30mins, and then it really started to get weird and time travel-y.  Long story short, I wouldn't recommend this one at all.  4/10

Not sure tonight will turn out much better as I think Alien Covenant is on deck. 

Went with Adam's Rib (49)- Hepburn/Tracy's signature film. Written by the husband wife duo of Ruth Gordon and Garson Kanin, the story follows a married couple of lawyers working opposite ends of a court case about a woman that shot her cheating husband. It's a comedy but it is also a serious study of feminism and the state of women and marriage in America. It's interesting to see how far we have come in some ways and how little in others. I recommend it- Hepburn and Tracy are as likable as they come even when they are petty and argumentative. Judy Holiday is fantastically cast as the vengeful but sympathetic wife. The film really hinges on having sympathy for her and she was the perfect woman for the film. 

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

Went with Adam's Rib (49)- Hepburn/Tracy's signature film. Written by the husband wife duo of Ruth Gordon and Garson Kanin, the story follows a married couple of lawyers working opposite ends of a court case about a woman that shot her cheating husband. It's a comedy but it is also a serious study of feminism and the state of women and marriage in America. It's interesting to see how far we have come in some ways and how little in others. I recommend it- Hepburn and Tracy are as likable as they come even when they are petty and argumentative. Judy Holiday is fantastically cast as the vengeful but sympathetic wife. The film really hinges on having sympathy for her and she was the perfect woman for the film. 

:thumbup:

Pretty sure I have this one on the DVR. 

Well, I've gotten about 1hr into Alien Covenant, and I am deciding if I have the motivation to finish it tonight.   Mostly I was just bored (brutally dull opening scene set the tone), then I was just grumpy about how bad the little white alien babies were looking.   Just don't understand how and why some of these series stray so far from what the first movies were - ESPECIALLY when it's the same person who was involved in the first one. 

Edited by KarmaPolice
1 minute ago, KarmaPolice said:

Well, I've gotten about 1hr into Alien Covenant, and I am deciding if I have the motivation to finish it tonight.   Mostly I was just bored (brutally dull opening scene set the tone), then I was just grumpy about how bad the little white alien babies were looking.   Just don't understand how and why some of these series stray so far from what the first movies were - ESPECIALLY when it's the same person who was involved in the first one. 

Not saying much I know, but at least theser movies TRY unlike those monstrosities in the Matrix series.  Those last two were truly awful from every conceivable aspect.  These last two alien movies at least had thought put into them even if they weren't quite as griping or entertaining as the first couple were. The attempt to flesh out the universe was ok so the heart was in the right place.

12 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

The 1 hour is sunk cost. Don't make it two.

On 10/12/2017 at 6:36 PM, Ilov80s said:

she is great.

Bleed for This

Didn't love it, but I liked it enough to say I didn't think it was a waste of time. It was missing something, I don't know...a little more background on him personally, and maybe a little more background on what it took for him to get his comeback fight.  But overall, it was pretty good. I think Miles Teller is one of the best young actors in the business. In a small roll, Ted "Put the dog in the basket" Levine was really great at as Lou Duva. 

Caught "the Florida Project" over the weekend. I liked it even if it isn't asking to be liked. Willem Dafoe is the only "star" in it and he's a secondary character. It's very much slice of life, vignettes and such. People living on the fringes of a very marginal socio economic existence in the orbit of Orlando and Disney. It felt pretty authentic to me. Kid actors were funny and disarming. 

Just now, saintfool said:

Caught "the Florida Project" over the weekend. I liked it even if it isn't asking to be liked. Willem Dafoe is the only "star" in it and he's a secondary character. It's very much slice of life, vignettes and such. People living on the fringes of a very marginal socio economic existence in the orbit of Orlando and Disney. It felt pretty authentic to me. Kid actors were funny and disarming. 

this a little out there but what's the deal with Casey Affleck thinking he is a tough guy?  I'm not a huge fan but saw "Out of the furnace" last night and he participates in back alley bare knuckle fights & of course he is all tatted up.  He doesn't look tough & I doubt he is.  Like in "Gone Baby Gone" when he threatens to take apart some mobster limb by limb.  I'm thinking at the time he must have some little guy complex.  I mean WTF? 

29 minutes ago, irishidiot said:

this a little out there but what's the deal with Casey Affleck thinking he is a tough guy?  I'm not a huge fan but saw "Out of the furnace" last night and he participates in back alley bare knuckle fights & of course he is all tatted up.  He doesn't look tough & I doubt he is.  Like in "Gone Baby Gone" when he threatens to take apart some mobster limb by limb.  I'm thinking at the time he must have some little guy complex.  I mean WTF? 

You know those movies aren't really about him, right?

• Like 9
3 hours ago, On The Rocks said:

Bleed for This

Didn't love it, but I liked it enough to say I didn't think it was a waste of time. It was missing something, I don't know...a little more background on him personally, and maybe a little more background on what it took for him to get his comeback fight.  But overall, it was pretty good. I think Miles Teller is one of the best young actors in the business. In a small roll, Ted "Put the dog in the basket" Levine was really great at as Lou Duva. 

Yeah this was pretty good. Sadly the real guy is broke from gambling

On 10/13/2017 at 1:10 PM, KarmaPolice said:

Really can't get motivated to watch this.

Don't Think Twice

Excellent bittersweet comedy about a struggling improv group. Lots of funny people in the cast, including Gillian Jacobs, Mike Birbiglia, Kate Micucci, Keegan-Michael Key, and Chris Gethard. Highly recommended.

Edited by jdoggydogg
38 minutes ago, jdoggydogg said:

Really can't get motivated to watch this.

And you really shouldn't try.

33 minutes ago, jdoggydogg said:

Don't Think Twice

Excellent bittersweet comedy about a struggling improv group. Lots of funny people in the cast, including Gillian Jacobs, Mike Birbiglia, Kate Micucci, Keegan-Michael, and Chris Gethard. Highly recommended.

I have never heard of any of those people. :shrug:

29 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:
1 hour ago, jdoggydogg said:

Don't Think Twice

Excellent bittersweet comedy about a struggling improv group. Lots of funny people in the cast, including Gillian Jacobs, Mike Birbiglia, Kate Micucci, Keegan-Michael Key, and Chris Gethard. Highly recommended.

Gillian Jacobs is the star of Netflix's Love. Birbiglia is a comic who starred in a hilarious one man show called Sleepwalk With Me. Miccuci is one half of the comedy song duo Garfunkle and Oats. Gethard is a comic and podcast host.

21 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

And you really shouldn't try.

same.

20 hours ago, jdoggydogg said:

Gillian Jacobs is the star of Netflix's Love. Birbiglia is a comic who starred in a hilarious one man show called Sleepwalk With Me. Miccuci is one half of the comedy song duo Garfunkle and Oats. Gethard is a comic and podcast host.

and this doesn't really help.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Why wasn't the form of The Destructor chosen as J Edgar Hoover instead of the StayPuft Marshmallow Man? Hoover was the one thought of first. :confused:

:lmao:

20 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I really want to see The Snowman. The hype on this film is unreal. Everything about it seems so ridiculously dumb.

I think it looks damn creepy.  I have read one Nesbo book and liked it. I am hoping for something on the lines of Seven, but who knows. 

2 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I think it looks damn creepy.  I have read one Nesbo book and liked it. I am hoping for something on the lines of Seven, but who knows. 

I wouldn't hold out too much hope. It's supposed to awful to a level rarely seen.

On 9/25/2017 at 10:08 AM, jdoggydogg said:

The Kingsman: The Golden Circle

Ugh. I liked the first movie because it mostly didn't take itself too seriously. The sequel is so silly and over the top, there isn't much dramatic conflict here. Yes, it looks great. Yes, there are some fantastic set pieces. But at more than two hours, this movie rates a C+.

See where you are coming, I enjoyed it more. Julianne Moore was fantastic and that opening chase scene was one for the ages.

But what is with the John Denver revival? Kings man and Logan Lucky both played the same songs

1 minute ago, KarmaPolice said:

All I needed to see was that it was rated lower than Madea's Boo 2. 

The director said they didn't have time to film the whole script- 10-15% of it didn't get filmed so as reviewers have pointed out, the movie doesn't make sense.

4 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I wouldn't hold out too much hope. It's supposed to awful to a level rarely seen.

At first I was looking forward to it because I dig serial killer movies, now I'm excited to see it just for the trainwreck potential. 

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

The director said they didn't have time to film the whole script- 10-15% of it didn't get filmed so as reviewers have pointed out, the movie doesn't make sense.

I read that too. It seems, though, that you should really go out of your way to make time for that sort of thing...you know, filming all the necessary scenes. But what do I know, I'm not in the movie business.

• Like 2

Also apparently they redubbed all of Val Kilmer's scenes- it's not his voice so you never see his character move his mouth. It's always a shot of the back of his head when he's talking to people.

2 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Also apparently they redubbed all of Val Kilmer's scenes- it's not his voice so you never see his character move his mouth. It's always a shot of the back of his head when he's talking to people.

:lmao:  No freakin' way.

OMG I can't wait to see this flustercuck.

Edited by Homer J Simpson