What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (4 Viewers)

I also powered through Season 1 of Stranger Things (I don't have Netflix, so I got it on disc).  I would put it in the good to very good range, but I really didn't love the last episode and the way it all wrapped up.  To me the journey was better than the final destination I guess.  
Just watched both seasons. Season 1 was a little better, imho. 

I also powered through Season 1 of Stranger Things (I don't have Netflix, so I got it on disc).  I would put it in the good to very good range, but I really didn't love the last episode and the way it all wrapped up.  To me the journey was better than the final destination I guess.  
Agree. The setup was great but it got rather predictable. 

@Ilov80s has stopped with the weekly TCM recommendations I noticed.   I think this week I have Rope, Streetcar Named Desire, Mean Streets and Citizen Kane set to record.

I finally got around to watching the movies from the channel that have piled up on my DVR.  Looked like a ton of them were from the 40s for whatever reason.  The last two nights I watched Gaslight and Call Northside 777.  I really liked both of them for different reasons.  Gaslight was all about the performance Ingrid Bergman.  I was entranced the whole time, even though there was no real mystery as to what was going on.  Call Northside was more about the story for me.  As much as I love Stewart in movies, he is basically always Jimmy Stewart, but I thought the way they progressed the story was good despite the "hooray newspapers!" voiceover ending.  

I have a ton of stuff to get to.  Off the top of my head I know The Big Sleep, It Happened Tomorrow, An Affair to Remember, Witness for the Prosecution, and Casablanca are on there.  
I've been so busy with work and it being football season that my movie watching is down a bit. I am going to see Casablanca on the big screen tonbight though!

KarmaPolice said:
I do have to chuckle at the dish's rating system.  I noticed last night that the 80s The Thing was only a 2 star, but the newest Blair Witch was 3.  
Yes, it seems like anything fairly recent gets inflated by about 1 1/2 stars.

Saw some on Netflix this week:

Frantz

A quiet, sad, but well done foreign film set in post WWI.

War For The Planet Of The Apes

In the previous ones, there were good and bad apes and humans. In this one, it was ape = good (even the bad ones were redeemed) and human = bad and by the end, you want the human race wiped out so the world can become a better place. If that wasn't enough, it was also too long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it seems like anything fairly recent gets inflated by about 1 1/2 stars.

Saw some on Netflix this week:

Frantz

A quiet, sad, but well done foreign film set in post WWI.

In the previous ones, there were good and bad apes and humans. In this one, it was ape = good (even the bad ones were redeemed) and human = bad and by the end, you want the human race wiped out so the world can become a better place. If that wasn't enough, it was also too long.
Unless you wanted to rewrite the original movie that these "prequels" lead up to, you had to know this was where it was heading..... no?? :confused:

KarmaPolice said:
@Ilov80s has stopped with the weekly TCM recommendations I noticed.   I think this week I have Rope, Streetcar Named Desire, Mean Streets and Citizen Kane set to record.

I finally got around to watching the movies from the channel that have piled up on my DVR.  Looked like a ton of them were from the 40s for whatever reason.  The last two nights I watched Gaslight and Call Northside 777.  I really liked both of them for different reasons.  Gaslight was all about the performance Ingrid Bergman.  I was entranced the whole time, even though there was no real mystery as to what was going on.  Call Northside was more about the story for me.  As much as I love Stewart in movies, he is basically always Jimmy Stewart, but I thought the way they progressed the story was good despite the "hooray newspapers!" voiceover ending.  

I have a ton of stuff to get to.  Off the top of my head I know The Big Sleep, It Happened Tomorrow, An Affair to Remember, Witness for the Prosecution, and Casablanca are on there.  
Friday has some great 70s films and one of the great silent movies of all time: McCabe and Mrs Miller, Being There, Mean Streets and The Passion of Joan of Arc. Sunday AM, there is a noir I have heard good things about: The Night and The City. 

I saw this this weekend. I loved the 3 remakes.
But I agree that the good vs. bad was too concrete in War. I also thought that the comedy was unnecessary, it just didn't fit with the tone. I didn't have a problem with the length and didn't check the time.
I wonder if the little girl is just going to die of old age with the apes. 

Lego Batman. It started out annoying and some bits were dragged out for too long. But it got better and I liked all the WB characters and inside jokes toward the end.

Wow Casablanca at the theater was awesome. Bogey and Bergman on the big screen! So it was my wife and another couple. The other couple hadn't  ever seen it before. They were laughing their asses off- for all the talk about it, rarely mentioned is how funny it is. They really liked it and said we should see the next old movie that comes to the theater. The gin martinis didn't hurt setting the mood either. 

I looooooooove Cinema Paradiso.
Oh ####. In college, friends thought I reminded then of the guy, and the girl I  was in love with... Like crazy in love with... Was similar to the girl love interest. The one that got away in fiction and life. Movie still destroys me because of it and in spite of the heavy doses of 80s Italian schmaltz.

Holy crap... Just now remembered that my first foray into social media or Internet discussion was a weekly online chat the NY times used to sponsor in the mid 90s about movies. I think they had a critic moderate and it was primarily the same 15-20 people every week. Kind of like here, but in a chat room. No idea what triggered that memory.

Wow Casablanca at the theater was awesome. Bogey and Bergman on the big screen! So it was my wife and another couple. The other couple hadn't  ever seen it before. They were laughing their asses off- for all the talk about it, rarely mentioned is how funny it is. They really liked it and said we should see the next old movie that comes to the theater. The gin martinis didn't hurt setting the mood either. 
That sounds like a super fun experience.

I hope more people get rehabilitated like I have been and start appreciating the older movies again.

Major Strasser: Are you one of those people who cannot imagine the Germans in their beloved Paris? 

Rick: It's not particularly my beloved Paris. 

Heinz: Can you imagine us in London? 

Rick: When you get there, ask me! 

Captain Renault: Hmmh! Diplomatist! 

Major Strasser: How about New York? 

Rick: Well there are certain sections of New York, Major, that I wouldn't advise you to try to invade.

Andy Dufresne said:

I hope more people get rehabilitated like I have been and start appreciating the older movies again.

Major Strasser: Are you one of those people who cannot imagine the Germans in their beloved Paris? 

Rick: It's not particularly my beloved Paris. 

Heinz: Can you imagine us in London? 

Rick: When you get there, ask me! 

Captain Renault: Hmmh! Diplomatist! 

Major Strasser: How about New York? 

Rick: Well there are certain sections of New York, Major, that I wouldn't advise you to try to invade.
There's hardly a piece of dialogue in the movie that isn't memorable. 75 years old this week and as good as ever IMO. My friends were really surprised how well it stood up.

Annina: Monsieur Rick, what kind of a man is Captain Renault?

Rick: Oh, he's just like any other man, only more so.

Andy Dufresne said:

Pfft.  If it ain't got CGI aliens or superheroes in it, can you even call it a movie?

There are enough good movies on TCM next week to backup your DVR for awhile

Rififi, Bridge on the River Kwai, Odds Against Tomorrow, Bringing Up Baby, Libeled Lady, Harvey, Read Window, Sullivan's Travels, The Dirty Dozen, The Quiet Man, Grand Illusion, Network

There are enough good movies on TCM next week to backup your DVR for awhile

Rififi, Bridge on the River Kwai, Odds Against Tomorrow, Bringing Up Baby, Libeled Lady, Harvey, Read Window, Sullivan's Travels, The Dirty Dozen, The Quiet Man, Grand Illusion, Network
I had the first one on there, and will get the bolded in there too.  :thumbup:

Maybe it was a Casablanca remake !
Replace the NAZIs with replicants, Casablanca with a space station, Rick's Cafe with Mos Eisley cafe,  Dooley Wilson with Wiz Khalifa and Bogart with an avatar. The cigarettes with vapes. Then you got something. 

Replace the NAZIs with replicants, Casablanca with a space station, Rick's Cafe with Mos Eisley cafe,  Dooley Wilson with Wiz Khalifa and Bogart with an avatar. The cigarettes with vapes. Then you got something. 
"Of all the futuristic dystopias in all the dimensions, she morphs into mine. Play it, Sam - play it Gangnam style...."

I had the first one on there, and will get the bolded in there too.  :thumbup:
I have seen all of them except No Way Out (supposed to be a decent noir heist movie) and Grand Illusion which I am super excited about- one of those films high on every all time best list that has alluded me. 

Ugh. Amy Adams. Not a fan.

The only movie I've ever seen where she impressed me was American Hustle.
I hated American Hustle, but I am sure a lot of that comes from my severe dislike of Jeremy Renner.  Also, I am not saying she is the best actor, but I have a thing for redheads.   I do think she was solid in: The Master, Arrival, The Fighter, Doubt, and Her.   I still haven't seen Junebug or Nocturnal Animals.  

I hated American Hustle, but I am sure a lot of that comes from my severe dislike of Jeremy Renner.  Also, I am not saying she is the best actor, but I have a thing for redheads.   I do think she was solid in: The Master, Arrival, The Fighter, Doubt, and Her.   I still haven't seen Junebug or Nocturnal Animals.  
I have a thing for great acting :)

Users who are viewing this thread