What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (1 Viewer)

Torn Curtain - 6/10

Hard to believe this is a Hitchcock movie. Newman sleepwalks through the entire thing. Julie Andrews is just told to stand there and look pretty (which she does!). The plot is ridiculous but slow. And what's up with the crazy Polish lady?

To score lower, a movie has to be offensive somehow. Not worth watching.

first time i've watched it since i heard that Sellers used Stan Laurel as his model for Chance. genius. and genius movie - this kinda #### makes me laugh 1000x more than all of Apatow's hangovers - always makes me regret punching out the author
The scene in the limo when he's first picked up by Shirley Maclaine and he turns on the tv to watch "Basketball Jones" kills me every time. 

The scene in the limo when he's first picked up by Shirley Maclaine and he turns on the tv to watch "Basketball Jones" kills me every time. 
between that, the brilliant use of Deodato's ASZ, the Schubert opening and Satie throughout, one of the great soundtracks

between that, the brilliant use of Deodato's ASZ, the Schubert opening and Satie throughout, one of the great soundtracks
When the unfinished symphony plays in the opening, it sets a really odd tone for the movie- passionate, urgent and forceful- seething with light and darkness. All things for which Chance is certainly not. It's a really different scoring choice, but that fits in with how different of a move this is. Want to let the audience know right away that this movie isn't the typical Hollywood comedy?  Begin it by observing a typical morning of a very serious and plain gardener. Then score it with the towering romantic epic that reshaped western symphonic music. 

When the unfinished symphony plays in the opening, it sets a really odd tone for the movie- passionate, urgent and forceful- seething with light and darkness. All things for which Chance is certainly not. It's a really different scoring choice, but that fits in with how different of a move this is. Want to let the audience know right away that this movie isn't the typical Hollywood comedy?  Begin it by observing a typical morning of a very serious and plain gardener. Then score it with the towering romantic epic that reshaped western symphonic music. 
ALAS, this was when art was made for posterity, an outgrowth of all that had gone before, under God's eye. The pressure of eternity. I fear a time when we are buried in nothing but wownow, if we are not already indeed in it.

The Criterion Collection version of The Passion of Joan of Arc is unreal. It looks and sounds too good to be 80 years old. Based on the actual trial record of Joan of Arc, the movie is cool on several levels. It's a piece of movie history seeing the techniques of the silent era. It's a piece of history in providing an accurate reenactment of a  historical/religious event. Also, as a movie, it is horrifying, dramatic and still relevant. The movie is basically a group of old men putting a young woman on trial, threatening her with death if she does not stop dressing like a man. 

Speaking of Criterion...Has anyone seen Tarkovsky's Stalker?

A local microcinema is showing it on Wednesday night. Was thinking of checking it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
KarmaPolice said:
This surprises me.  Is there a reason you haven't seen many? 
I just prefer movies in English. I have a bunch of DVRd foreign films to get to, but I usually choose to watch something else instead.

Saw a dystopian sci-fi/Western called the Young Ones with Michael Shannon and a few other recognizable actors. Interesting concept, well acted and decently filmed but somehow missed the mark. Trying to piece together why, but along with some specific writing holes, the story was a bit disjointed and seemed to lack a focus. Dunno.

whoknew said:
Fist Fight - Its not going to win an academy award, but its pretty funny. If you don't take it or yourself too seriously, and just enjoy Ice Cube - its funny.
I may watch if it turns out that Charlie Day is beaten to death. Most irritating whiner since Woody Allen.

first time i've watched it since i heard that Sellers used Stan Laurel as his model for Chance. genius. and genius movie - this kinda #### makes me laugh 1000x more than all of Apatow's hangovers - always makes me regret punching out the author
Haven't seen Being there in like 30 years, but it left a huge impression on me all these years later.

Band of Robbers

This is a loose modern retelling of the Huckleberry Finn & Mark Twain story. But don't let that premise stop you. This is a funny, quirky small-time criminal comedy. The closest analog I can think of is Wes Anderson's entertaining Bottle Rocket. Highly recommended. 

Peaky Blinders

I'd post this in the Netflix thread, but I want to pimp this as much as possible. I just re-watched this series with Mrs. Dogg, and it's even better than I remembered. Fantastic photography, a great cast, and writing that is on par with any good film. Just a remarkable achievement. 

Peaky Blinders

I'd post this in the Netflix thread, but I want to pimp this as much as possible. I just re-watched this series with Mrs. Dogg, and it's even better than I remembered. Fantastic photography, a great cast, and writing that is on par with any good film. Just a remarkable achievement. 
I started S1 a year or 2 ago and liked it...I don't even know why I didn't finish it. I need to start it over soon. It stays consistently good throughout it's run?

Into the Blue

Never saw it when it was out, watched it on Free HBO Weekend.  Paul Walker and Jessica Alba.

Was ok, held my interest enough.  My oh my, Jessica Alba, you are fine.  

What ever happened to her????  Best behind I ever did see.

I started S1 a year or 2 ago and liked it...I don't even know why I didn't finish it. I need to start it over soon. It stays consistently good throughout it's run?
I would say that since you liked it, you'll continue to like it all the way through three seasons.

Season 4 is airing on the BBC this year and will come to Netflix sometime later...

One of the few movies where how it affects one over time says more about the spectator than the art
It's funny, because your age when seeing art really does affect your appreciation. For example, I saw Apocalypse Now at 18 and didn't like it. But having seen it several times since, it's now my favorite war film along with Full Metal Jacket. But for some reason, young me loved Being There. Most likely explained by the fact that I worshiped Sellers in the Pink Panther series.

It's funny, because your age when seeing art really does affect your appreciation. For example, I saw Apocalypse Now at 18 and didn't like it. But having seen it several times since, it's now my favorite war film along with Full Metal Jacket. But for some reason, young me loved Being There. Most likely explained by the fact that I worshiped Sellers in the Pink Panther series.
there were a few movies I saw around that time as a younger kid that profoundly affected my cultural interests and awareness going forward into teendom and adulthood: being there, seventh seal (whose title I unfortunately confuse with the seventh sign) and diva. 

I think I went in with the same love of the pink panthers but somehow tapped into it even without the slapstick. and god bless my parents for taking me to bergman and other foreign films like diva from a young age- that kind of exposure profoundly affected who I turned into as a grown up. I've failed so far in that regard with mine (not getting much help from my wife who doesn't like "art" films).

Into the Blue

Never saw it when it was out, watched it on Free HBO Weekend.  Paul Walker and Jessica Alba.

Was ok, held my interest enough.  My oh my, Jessica Alba, you are fine.  

What ever happened to her????  Best behind I ever did see.
She made millions in cosmetics and basically didn't need to act anymore.

My most significant one of those isn't with a movie, though i've had a few, but an actor. I could not stand Audrey Hepburn when i was young. My first exposure was her perfectly awful Liza Doolittle and the whole short haired, gamin/pixie thing gave me no reason to back off my first impression. I remember actually rooting for her to get offed in Wait Until Dark.

Then, one night about a decade ago, i came home late with a load on and threw the TV on. Breakfast at Tiffany's came on and, for some reason (probably because my past is littered w offbeat party girls), i fell in love. Then i watched every thing from Roman Holiday to Two for the Road and now i can be made instantly happy by the sight or thought of her reluctant delicacy. One of my side projects - a B@T sequel where Holly & Fred get married & move to Connecticut, he becomes rich writing their story and buys the E71st building, they have a daughter, Holly kills herself, Fred gives daughter (Tiffany, of course) the building as a graduation gift in '82 and she uses it as her base camp as she attempts to rise in what is left of Manhattan's punk scene - has had me wasting way too much of my writing time on something that hasnt a prayer of seeing the light of day, often just for the pleasure of wondering what Audrey/Holly/LuLu's daughter might be like.

I think I went in with the same love of the pink panthers but somehow tapped into it even without the slapstick. and god bless my parents for taking me to bergman and other foreign films like diva from a young age- that kind of exposure profoundly affected who I turned into as a grown up. I've failed so far in that regard with mine (not getting much help from my wife who doesn't like "art" films).
Sure. I wouldn't call my parents art snobs, but they did expose me to a lot of cool films when I was a kid - including The Seven Samurai, Walkabout, The Gods Must Be Crazy, and Dr. Strangelove.

My most significant one of those isn't with a movie, though i've had a few, but an actor. I could not stand Audrey Hepburn when i was young. My first exposure was her perfectly awful Liza Doolittle and the whole short haired, gamin/pixie thing gave me no reason to back off my first impression. I remember actually rooting for her to get offed in Wait Until Dark.

Then, one night about a decade ago, i came home late with a load on and threw the TV on. Breakfast at Tiffany's came on and, for some reason (probably because my past is littered w offbeat party girls), i fell in love. Then i watched every thing from Roman Holiday to Two for the Road and now i can be made instantly happy by the sight or thought of her reluctant delicacy. One of my side projects - a B@T sequel where Holly & Fred get married & move to Connecticut, he becomes rich writing their story and buys the E71st building, they have a daughter, Holly kills herself, Fred gives daughter (Tiffany, of course) the building as a graduation gift in '82 and she uses it as her base camp as she attempts to rise in what is left of Manhattan's punk scene - has had me wasting way too much of my writing time on something that hasnt a prayer of seeing the light of day, often just for the pleasure of wondering what Audrey/Holly/LuLu's daughter might be like.
My enduring memory of that movie is Mickey Rooney's horrific racist Asian character. 

Sure. I wouldn't call my parents art snobs, but they did expose me to a lot of cool films when I was a kid - including The Seven Samurai, Walkabout, The Gods Must Be Crazy, and Dr. Strangelove.
Yep... All of those! It helped I had an older brother too... All the monty pythons including Jabberwocky thanks to him

Iirc, we were seeing Kurosawa as they were being released in the 70s. But seven samurai still top 3 for me and seen in an art house or college. Remember loving it... The screen with kick ### guy sitting in the flowers waiting for the bandits to come just blew me away.

My enduring memory of that movie is Mickey Rooney's horrific racist Asian character. 
:lmao:  Maybe the worst characterization of all time.

Mr. Yunioshi gets a rehab as Tiffany's mentor in my Midnight Lunch, which becomes re-tainted when it's revealed that he has taken a naked picture of her on all 23 of her birthdays, an elegy to her mother, who initiated the sessions, as part of the nature of how all men held Holly so weirdly in their thoughts after knowing her in the Capote novella

there were a few movies I saw around that time as a younger kid that profoundly affected my cultural interests and awareness going forward into teendom and adulthood: being there, seventh seal (whose title I unfortunately confuse with the seventh sign) and diva. 

Good god are those Pink Panther movies are awful. Was there a worse decade for comedy than the 60s?

So knowing i don't like Pink Panther, but love Strangelove and Being There, what should be the next steps in exploring the career of Sellers?

I was lucky - the owner of my 1st radio station had every comedy LP in creation and turned me on to the Goon Show, the radio show where Sellers got his start, before i knew him from anything but Strangelove. So that you may get into them - the other goons, Spike Milligan & Harry Secomb, are perhaps more legendary in England than the great movie star - here's a reunion show so you will have visual associations to the youtube radio clips. enjoy -

ETA: you may want to add this to your Christmas song collection this season

Yep... All of those! It helped I had an older brother too... All the monty pythons including Jabberwocky thanks to him
Yeah, I loved Monty Python, but 12 year old me didn't like sitting in a theater with my mom watching full frontal male nudity in Life of Brian :)

Iirc, we were seeing Kurosawa as they were being released in the 70s. But seven samurai still top 3 for me and seen in an art house or college. Remember loving it... The screen with kick ### guy sitting in the flowers waiting for the bandits to come just blew me away.
The lesson I learned from Seven Samurai is Kurosawa's use of silence. There are scenes in that movie with no music, no dialogue, and almost no sound effects. It's a device that almost all modern film ignores.

Users who are viewing this thread