What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (2 Viewers)

:lmao:  Maybe the worst characterization of all time.

Mr. Yunioshi gets a rehab as Tiffany's mentor in my Midnight Lunch, which becomes re-tainted when it's revealed that he has taken a naked picture of her on all 23 of her birthdays, an elegy to her mother, who initiated the sessions, as part of the nature of how all men held Holly so weirdly in their thoughts after knowing her in the Capote novella
Do you feel like Breakfast At Tiffany's holds up? I only saw it a handful of years ago and couldn't get into it.

Do you feel like Breakfast At Tiffany's holds up? I only saw it a handful of years ago and couldn't get into it.
It's wildly uneven, but the first act captures an energy that to this day remains largely unwrangled in art and utterly fascinating to me - a woman's ability to become her illusions. Men, heteros anyway, can't even begin to do it, which makes it such a delicious challenge to write on. Capote captured the 40s postwar angle on it, Blake Edwards (oddly the two franchises discussed in this thread today - B@T & Pink Panther - are Edwards creations) just flat nailed the 60s party scene & party girl and, with Tiffany, i'm trying to do the same for that brand of girl i got to know in my late 70s/early 80s Manhattan days.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds interesting both in premise and production. I will be curious how the brownface routine holds up though. 
The first 1/2 to 2/3 is great. It falls apart after that. But that first part is genius. Then again, you don't like the Pink Panther movies, and this is somewhat in the same vein. Lots of slapstick, but also some clever/subtle funny dialog interspersed. I'm a huge fan of the early Pink Panther movies. They fell off precipitously as the series went on, but A Shot In The Dark is a comedy classic.

I don't know where else to ask this, this seems like the closest place. Did the Girls/Lena Dunham thread get axed? @Leroy Hoard had given me a like in there and when I clicked on the notification it gives me a "no content found" or something like that.

It's wildly uneven, but the first act captures an energy that to this day remains largely unwrangled in art and utterly fascinating to me - a woman's ability to become her illusions. Men, heteros anyway, can't even begin to do it, which makes it such a delicious challenge to write on. Capote nailed the 40s angle on it, Blake Edwards (oddly the two franchises discussed in this thread today - B@T & Pink Panther - are Edwards creations) just flat nailed the 60s party scene & party girl and, with Tiffany, i'm trying to do the same for that brand of girl i got to know in my late 70s/early 80s Manhattan days.
and Capote wrote B@T to tie it all together. I never saw Capote capturing that kind of spirit prior to B@T but I'm not very well read with him- just In Cold Blood and short stories- which struck me as soutern gothic. Also, what a weird career for Edwards. Pink Panther and Days of Wine and Roses and B@T. Some very different pieces there. 

I don't know where else to ask this, this seems like the closest place. Did the Girls/Lena Dunham thread get axed? @Leroy Hoard had given me a like in there and when I clicked on the notification it gives me a "no content found" or something like that.
It must have- it was on the first page for the last hour or so. I never clicked on it, but it was active as of a 20 or 30 minutes ago 

I am sure I posted before about Get Out, but IMO it just failed to be a great horror movie - ie, provide some decent scares or have me on the edge of my seat.  I get that critics usually fawn over the horror movies that also provide some social commentary or an allegory.  That's great, but I like to also be scared at the same time, and other ones that were rated higher in the past few years like Babadook and It Follows did a better job on that front, IMO.   It wasn't horrible, but I didn't find it near as good as a lot of people seemed to.  

Any suggestions for comedy movies to watch with the 11 year old?  We are dipping a bit into the PG-13 stuff, but not a ton.  We have watched some 80s stuff, Adam Sandler stuff, etc.  

Some he has liked:   Happy Gilmore, Ghostbusters, Great Outdoors, Elf, Kicking and Screaming, Big Daddy, Princess Bride

A couple he hasn't liked:  Goonies, Spaceballs

Any suggestions for comedy movies to watch with the 11 year old?  We are dipping a bit into the PG-13 stuff, but not a ton.  We have watched some 80s stuff, Adam Sandler stuff, etc.  

Some he has liked:   Happy Gilmore, Ghostbusters, Great Outdoors, Elf, Kicking and Screaming, Big Daddy, Princess Bride

the Hughes comedies, Uncle Buck, Ferris & such

ETA: The Jerk, of course

Not a comedy but it's time to unleash 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oomCIXGzsR0

Big, Ace Ventura, Austin Powers, Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Not a comedy but it's time to unleash 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oomCIXGzsR0
We have watched that one too, but haven't done the sequels yet and won't do the Jaden Smith one.  As bad as it is, I would probably watch The Next Karate Kid on a loop vs. watching that reboot again.  

There are a bunch of other non-comedy 80s ones I have written down to get to - Gremlins, Iron Eagle, Last Starfighter, etc.    We are finishing up the Harry Potter series tonight, and he's been fine with it and really liking it, but they do get a bit dark so he said he wanted the next couple to be funny movies.  

Gr00vus said:
I gave you one  :thumbup:

the Hughes comedies, Uncle Buck, Ferris & such

Big, Ace Ventura, Austin Powers, Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Some good stuff here - keep 'em coming. 

The Hughes ones are a little blind spot for me too, as I am pretty sure I haven't seen Uncle Buck either.  We have Ferris at home, and he has been hesitant to watch Home Alone.  

I also thought about Big last night.  It's been a bit since I've seen Roger Rabbit, so I can't remember much about that.  

I think I am just going to get 4-5 from the library and let him pick. 

I assume he has seen Toy Story, Shrek, etc. ? 

Dumb and Dumber, Mrs. Doubtfire, Top Gun, Stand By Me
Yeah, we have gone through all the animated ones multiple times.  We have seen D&D, and he didn't seem to like that one as much either but did still laugh a few times.  

Makes sense with the holidays, but it looks like Home Alone and Uncle Buck will be a short wait.  

Ones on the list that I could pick up today are:  Big, Mrs. Doubtfire, and Roger Rabbit.  I have Ferris on BR at home.  

Wargames

Back to the Future

Three Amigos? 

Spys Like Us

bill and teds execellent adventure

mr Mom

Gung Ho

Not sure how well some of them would be understood

Thanks for the suggestions! There were quite a few that were on hold at the library, so the pile he gets to choose from is:

Big, Mrs. Doubtfire, Roger Rabbit, Groundhog Day, Ferris Bueller, Adventures in Babysitting, and Galaxy Quest

2 of those I haven't seen either.  

Thanks for the suggestions! There were quite a few that were on hold at the library, so the pile he gets to choose from is:

Big, Mrs. Doubtfire, Roger Rabbit, Groundhog Day, Ferris Bueller, Adventures in Babysitting, and Galaxy Quest

2 of those I haven't seen either.  
Doubtfire and baby sitting?

In what way?  Curious, not arguing - just noticed it was PG so I added it to the possible list.  
I think the humor and concept might be more geared towards the adult mind.... I remember reading some crazy/heavy analysis of it when it first came out. That said, there's no real sex, violence or appreciable cursing... So it's certainly appropriate

I think the humor and concept might be more geared towards the adult mind.... I remember reading some crazy/heavy analysis of it when it first came out. That said, there's no real sex, violence or appreciable cursing... So it's certainly appropriate
Gotcha - thanks.  

Libeled Lady= William Powell + Jean Harlow + Myrna Loy + Tracy Spencer

A low key favorite of mine. I could watch them all drink and scheme and drop 1 liners all night. 

Watching Dead Man Walking again.  I swear I don’t think there’s another movie that moves me like this one does, and I’m not morally opposed to the death penalty.

So, when they finished The Great Wall, someone said to burn it, right?  Like at least one guy in the room, was like, yeah, Matt will sell tickets and the Asian market will probably love it, but let's just burn it so we are never on an IMDB page about, ok... great.  Here's a match... What do you mean no?

Right?

(The Asian woman who was the general was hot as the sun though.)

Blade Runner 2049.

Was just unnecessary.  The visuals/world creation are much better in the first one too.

It wasn't bad.  I was into it.  Just would never watch it again nor do I think you are missing anything if you skip it.

Who is this Ana de Armas?  Captivating eyes.  I was thinking the whole time I didn't remember Felicity Jones looking this hot.  Had to look up the cast to realize it was someone else.

I saw it in the theater when I was 11 and loved it. I saw most of the movies posted here when I was <12 years old- including Midnight Run, Beverely Hills Cop, Trading Places, etc. I enjoyed them all. Some of the humor definitely went over my head. I remember watching Ghostbusters again when I was 16 or 17 and realizing how many dirty jokes were in it and getting the whole sexual innuendo of gate keeper and key master. My parents would just tell me to cover my eyes when there was nudity (but I always peeked).  

Users who are viewing this thread