What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (4 Viewers)

Pushover (1954) This was another of the TCM Noir Alley presentations. I had never heard of this before but it was one of the better noirs I had seen in awhile. First, it had Fred MacMurray in a role that seemed like an unofficial sequel to Double Indemnity. Kim Novak played the Stanwyck role. MacMurray is a cop chasing down a bank robber. His plan is to use the bank robber's girlfriend to get to the bank robber. Ofcourse Kim Novak is a stunning femme fatale in the most classic sense and she has her own plot in action. This thing was a top notch Hollywood production. It lacks a bit in the supporting cast. Dorothy Malone is nice but there's certiainly no Edward G Robinson here. I do highly recommend though for fans of noirs. 

Here are my TCM recommendations for the week:

All Tuesday, they are playing movies by the great Frtiz Lang. If you haven't seen M (1931), then set the DVR for 6:00 AM. is the German expressionist masterpiece that tells the tale of a hunt for a child killer. When the police are unable to track down the killer, the criminals of Berlin unite to find the monster. It's both creepy and thoughtful. Some people don't think it's held up well and just consider it an educational/historical piece at this point. I strongly disagree- I think it still haunts and poses questions that strike at the heart of man. 

The Mortal Storm (1940) stars Margert Sullivan, James Stewart, Robert Young, Robert Stack as German citizens who'se lives are torn apart by the rise of fascism. Friday at 3:00 pm. 

It Happened on 5th Avenue (1947) kind of the standard Hollywood uplifting Christmas movie. So much so, that it's hard to believe it's not a Carpa picture. When a wealthy New York family goes down south for the winter, a poor man inhabits the home and welcomes in others in need of a place to stay. It's corny and all, but I like those old fashioned feel good Christmas movies. Saturday at 2:00 pm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pushover (1954) This was another of the TCM Noir Alley presentations. I had never heard of this before but it was one of the better noirs I had seen in awhile. First, it had Fred MacMurray in a role that seemed like an unofficial sequel to Double Indemnity. Kim Novak played the Stanwyck role. MacMurray is a cop chasing down a bank robber. His plan is to use the bank robber's girlfriend to get to the bank robber. Ofcourse Kim Novak is a stunning femme fatale in the most classic sense and she has her own plot in action. This thing was a top notch Hollywood production. It lacks a bit in the supporting cast. Dorothy Malone is nice but there's certiainly no Edward G Robinson here. I do highly recommend though for fans of noirs. 
Kim Novak, maaaan. Weird, weird gal - would have loved to see an eyebrow swordfight between her & Joan Crawford - but the only person capable of staring me into tumescence. Her career was soooo weird (no one, except possibly Brando, was ever as bad and as good in the same flick as she was in Moll Flanders) that i'm still not sure if she could act, but i wish she had kept her own counsel & focused on being the steam engine she was in Pushover, Vertigo & Bell, Book & Candle instead of trying to play actual parts. Since i've been writing a movie musical for the entirety of this decade, i started a side project should that work cause me to be asked to write a musical for the stage, and i chose the latter as my subject matter, so i've watched BB&C maybe 40 times and she is as bewitching as a woman has ever been in a movie.

Kim Novak, maaaan. Weird, weird gal - would have loved to see an eyebrow swordfight between her & Joan Crawford - but the only person capable of staring me into tumescence. Her career was soooo weird (no one, except possibly Brando, was ever as bad and as good in the same flick as she was in Moll Flanders) that i'm still not sure if she could act, but i wish she had kept her own counsel & focused on being the steam engine she was in Pushover, Vertigo & Bell, Book & Candle instead of trying to play actual parts. Since i've been writing a movie musical for the entirety of this decade, i started a side project should that work cause me to be asked to write a musical for the stage, and i chose the latter as my subject matter, so i've watched BB&C maybe 40 times and she is as bewitching as a woman has ever been in a movie.
She's dynamite in Pushover and it's too bad she didn't make another noir. 

She's dynamite in Pushover and it's too bad she didn't make another noir. 
Check her out in Paddy Chayefsky's (Network, Marty) equally wonderful & irritating Middle of the Night. Frederick March - the greatest actor never cited as the greatest actor - coaxes her most unmannered performance out of her & has a ball doing so. Your kinda movie, i think.

Here are my TCM recommendations for the week:

All Tuesday, they are playing movies by the great Frtiz Lang. If you haven't seen M (1931), then set the DVR for 6:00 AM. is the German expressionist masterpiece that tells the tale of a hunt for a child killer. When the police are unable to track down the killer, the criminals of Berlin unite to find the monster. It's both creepy and thoughtful. Some people don't think it's held up well and just consider it an educational/historical piece at this point. I strongly disagree- I think it still haunts and poses questions that strike at the heart of man. 
I think "M" is excellent.

Three Billboards outside Ebbing Missouri Solid A

Great story and fantastic acting

Did not see the Chief killing himself in the middle of the movie.

Penelope was  :lmao:

Frances McDormand was a force. She will be nominated, not sure if she will win.

And I liked that they didn't solve the murder.  We shall see if her and Sam Rockwell will hold on to their anger.

Two things bugged me. Dickson should have more consequences for his actions and the CHI on the deer was awful.

Three Billboards outside Ebbing Missouri Solid A

Great story and fantastic acting

Did not see the Chief killing himself in the middle of the movie.

Penelope was  :lmao:

Frances McDormand was a force. She will be nominated, not sure if she will win.

And I liked that they didn't solve the murder.  We shall see if her and Sam Rockwell will hold on to their anger.

Two things bugged me. Dickson should have more consequences for his actions and the CHI on the deer was awful.
I saw this tonight and enjoyed it alot.  I thought it was a little long though.

The CGI deer was a lot better than the one they had on The Walking Dead a couple seasons ago.

Answer is that it looks and sounds awesome (if just a tad too loud).
Just saw this and I'd have answered the same.  Movie theaters and projection/sound companies are certainly during their part to get our butts in seats.  I love all the high end movie watching options we have these days. 

Hunt For The Wilderpeople

Orphan boy is adopted by a sweet woman and her gruff husband. I love this movie. LOVE IT. Beautifully filmed in New Zealand, you can see some of the same brand of silly humor you'd find in fellow countrymen's Flight Of the Concords. Sweet, funny, and earnest, I implore you to see this movie. If you have kids, it's a wonderful experience. But even if you don't, I think this one will make you laugh several times. Two thumbs way up.

Hunt For The Wilderpeople

Orphan boy is adopted by a sweet woman and her gruff husband. I love this movie. LOVE IT. Beautifully filmed in New Zealand, you can see some of the same brand of silly humor you'd find in fellow countrymen's Flight Of the Concords. Sweet, funny, and earnest, I implore you to see this movie. If you have kids, it's a wonderful experience. But even if you don't, I think this one will make you laugh several times. Two thumbs way up.
in theaters? or on dvd/demand?

Hunt for the Wilderpeople:

I got a huge pile of movies from the last couple years from the library that I need to catch up on.  I had never heard about this one until a podcast I was listening to recently was gushing over it.  (I think Pop Culture Happy Hour).  I think it had a lot of potential, but fell a tad flat for me.  This is about a troubled teen that gets a last shot with a foster family with a sweet lady and her grumpy husband (Sam Neill) who live in New Zealand near the bush.  I think a bit was that the kid got to be a bit too much for me at times and since there a very small cast if you don't love them, it brings down the movie.  I didn't know until just now that I had seen a couple of this director's other movies and felt similar - What We Do in the Shadows (which a lot of people loved, which is why I am mentioning this moive too) and Eagle vs. Shark (which I remember liking the most of the 3, but it's been a long time).  Still, enough funny and sweet moments to keep me in it, I just didn't love it like the critics seemed to.  6/10

Also looks like this is the director for Thor 3 as well.  :oldunsure:
Here was my take this summer.

:yes: .. but the last 30 to 45 minutes were pretty good.
meh

I didn't like going to see a "whodoneit" film where the answer is "Everybody".   And it became clear after 2 or 3 people had been linked to the guy that it was going to be a group job.

meh

I didn't like going to see a "whodoneit" film where the answer is "Everybody".   And it became clear after 2 or 3 people had been linked to the guy that it was going to be a group job.
Serious question....did you not see the original?

Serious question....did you not see the original?

Nope, nor had I read the book.
  neither my wife nor I had read the book or seen any other of the movies. Both of us agreed it was Very Slow till about half way through. I guess in hindsight should have seen the whodunit coming. But it wasn't until the "lineup" in the tunnel where it hit me like a Train. ;)

Does anyone use digital codes? You know for Vudu, UltraViolet, MoviesAnywhere...

I have some to give away if they're wanted. PM me.

The Great Gatsby (DiCaprio)
Spider-Man 1 (Maguire)
Spider-Man 3 (Maguire)
Spider Man Trilogy (all three Maguire movies in one)
The Amazing Spider-Man 1
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
The Wolf of Wall Street
Star Trek Into Darkness

Man Of Steel
Pacific Rim

Sunset Blvd and, of course, Die Hard would be fun. Would consider Vertigo and Mr Smith too.
Sunset and Die Hard for sure. Vertigo would look great on the big screen even if it's not a movie I love. Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Philadelphia Story and Big Lebowski all interest me as well. 

On 7/11/2017 at 8:50 AM, On The Rocks said:

In the Bedroom (2001)

I could watch this movie once a month, but I limit myself to only once every couple of years so it never becomes too familiar.

It's one of the top 5 best acted movies I've ever seen.  I don't know what to say about it to make someone want to watch it, other than it's one of those movies that will stick with you. Too many movies you see, ten minutes after watching it, you can't think of a single thing that stands out about it.  This is a movie that you almost become emotionally connected with the characters, especially the parents. 
Really good movie, but I am not sure it is one I would want to come back to repeatedly. I almost would include it on my best of 2000s list. The other movie that is similar to me is The House of Sand and Fog. I think that movie is genius. Kingsley and Connelly are spectacular. The one thing that always kills the movie a bit for me is the actor that plays the cop (Ron Eldard- also played a blind cop on the ridiculous Blind Justice show). He is so out of his league it's not even funny. If that part would have been cast with a stronger actor, I think it would rival In the Bedroom

Finally sat down to watch House of Sand and Fog.

I liked it a lot.  I agree with you on the Ron Eldard character.  Not to nit pick, but I also think the entirety of his character didn't fit the rest of the movie.  It seemed almost like a bad character from a bad movie that was added.  The rest of the movie was fantastic!  Kingsley was great.  Connelly was really good.  And I thought the woman who played the mother (can't think of her name) was really great too. 

It's up there but Requiem for a Dream takes the cake on that 
This is one of the fist that comes to mind for me.  

We were at my mom's for an early Christmas this weekend and she is now living in a nice little trailer park.  They have a building in the middle that the residents can reserve for events, and in there people who live there share stacks of books, movies, puzzles etc, so there is a ton of stuff do and borrow.  I was looking through the DVDs and there was Requiem for a Dream.  :oldunsure:

The Great Wall

This has to be on every "Worst Movie of the Year" list.
I managed to make it 19 minutes in before turning it off.
I have now watched it twice. Ok action movie. It was stupid but entertaining. I didn't put any thought I to the movie. I simply watched it and moved on. The second viewing was for background noise while I did some Christmas shopping online.

I really liked Magnolia but I only saw it once and I was really stoned. That's the movie with Tom Cruise where it rains frogs, right? What was that movie about?

I really liked Magnolia but I only saw it once and I was really stoned. That's the movie with Tom Cruise where it rains frogs, right? What was that movie about?
3 hours of unlikable losers that felt like 9 hours of unlikable losers.

Stoned might be the correct way to watch it.

I remember liking it too, but have about the same recall you do about it. some good aimee mann tunes iirc, and I do remember leaving the theater thinking, huh- tom cruise can act

Users who are viewing this thread