Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition

1 minute ago, KarmaPolice said:

:lol:  I was going to say that descriptor had me less interested than before. 

This is the description I saw when I searched the movie:

Elisa is a mute, isolated woman who works as a cleaning lady in a hidden, high-security government laboratory in 1962 Baltimore. Her life changes forever when she discovers the lab's classified secret -- a mysterious, scaled creature from South America that lives in a water tank.

That sounds pretty awful to me so anything would be an improvement 

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KarmaPolice

• jdoggydogg

• Ilov80s

• El Floppo

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know those movies aren't really about him, right?

RIP Steven Bochco. Hill Street Blues, LA Law and NYPD Blue. Icon.

The Accountant.  I think this may have been a great movie.  I'm tempted to go there.

2 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Dammit, I missed that one for the dvr.  I thought it was later this week.   I think I grabbed Dog Day Afternoon and something else last night that I need to get to.  

I've got Bringing Up Baby tomorrow (seen it a few times, but whatever maybe I will see it again, maybe not) and The Narrow Margin on Saturday (it's a B police/noir movie but I remember it being pretty good)

13 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I've got Bringing Up Baby tomorrow (seen it a few times, but whatever maybe I will see it again, maybe not) and The Narrow Margin on Saturday (it's a B police/noir movie but I remember it being pretty good)

I liked The Narrow Margin

23 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

This is the description I saw when I searched the movie:

That sounds pretty awful to me so anything would be an improvement 

:lmao:

It does sound a bit like an M. Night movie from the description you posted. 

Edited by KarmaPolice
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

Just saw In Cold Blood for the first time and man was that a good movie. They just nailed that adapted screenplay, casting, editing, everything. Really well done as it has the same haunting effect as the book- something that will linger with you for awhile. 

Beautifully paced, which is why it still works after we're enured to procedurals from decades of bombardment.

And Scott Wilson does one of the best jobs ever of showing the lure, charm, ease in a life of crime. The lazy man's paradise, contrasted with Bobby Blake's tortured eviltron

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Daywalker said:

The Shape of Water

This one is going to be polarizing.  Guess it just wasn't for me.  Was just waiting for it to end.

Jenkins was the only character I had any attachment too.

It was more odd then whimsical.  It came off cold and remote.  Not heart-warming.  Just missed the mark for me.  Unlike a movie like Amelie which is one of my all time favorites.

The green color palate matched my face at parts.  :X

Haven't seen it yet, but completely confused about its relationship to Amelie.

On 3/4/2017 at 3:18 AM, Homer J Simpson said:

Pretty strong thumb's up for The Girl with All the Gifts

Really enjoyed this one. Fun newish take on a zombie flick. It's not as good as Train to Busan but still holds its own. 

Catching up on some movies both new and some that have been out awhile:

I, Tonya was very good. The actress who plays her mom should get some nominations. She was horrifyingly perfect. 

The Invitation. I kept stalling before seeing it. It looks a bit boring. I kept hearing great things. I watched the trailer. It looked boring. I was finally pestered into seeing it and oh man I really enjoyed it. Strongly recommend for any fans of suspense flicks. Really good movie. 

Raw. An uncomfortable movie to watch if you have an easily upset stomach, but a really great French horror film. 

The Wailing. I watched this movie again. Love, love, love this movie so much. Seriously, really love this thing. Creepy af. So good. 2.5 hours is nuts for a movie but it works. The slow buildup is fantastic, and by the end it's relentless as everything pulls together. 

The Homesman. Solid western starring Tommy Lee Jones and Hillary Swank. 

Spectral. Solid B level action movie that punches above its expected weight class. 

Wheelman. Another solidly entertaining movie that plays better than expected. 

I don't feel at home in this world anymore. Simple movie I don't think I'll remember six months from now but I was entertained watching Elijah Wood pretend to be a badass.

Okja. So...uhm, a good movie I really enjoyed, but man it really took a turn from a possible kids movie once they introduced that one scene. If you've seen the movie you know what I'm talking about. Still a sweet kids-ish movie that isn't made for kids. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, jdoggydogg said:

How's it being marketed?

The commercials I've seen make McDormand seem like some crazy annoying unsympathetic ##### and a small town police force just trying to placate her craziness.  Oh, and all of the deputies are morons.

So they're marketing it like one of those movies where the audience is supposed to root for someone (or some outcome) without providing the audience with someone (or some cause) to sympathize with or otherwise root for.  The Coen's never market their movies that way, because they don't make movies where you root for the plucky heroine to overcome the odds.

A lot of people in their real lives have to placate crazy annoying unsympathetic #####es, so the marketing isn't doing this movie any favors.

• Like 1

I got a screener for The Shape of Water last night and thought it was enjoyable but am not getting all the awards praise. I love the color palette used by Del Toro, but nothing else really blew me away as I was expecting from the hype.

Watching 3 Billboards tonight.

On 1/8/2018 at 2:14 PM, jdoggydogg said:

The Shape of Water is a modern re-imagining of Frankenstein.

I'm not making any guarantees, but I'd be surprised if most people don't enjoy the heck out of the movie.

I hadn't seen any trailers for this before watching it so I had no idea what to expect. It was good but considering the award nominations, I was underwhelmed.

On 1/9/2018 at 8:47 PM, Daywalker said:

They had a lot of similarities IMO.  Plus I think they both attempt to appeal to a similar viewer.

I would say that Ex Machina hit on similar themes, and executed them much better.

During a Rainy day on vacation we had HBO so the Wife & I watched In a Valley of Violence and we are still trying to figure out just what it was trying to be.. A Western Drama, A Western Comedy, or a combination??

The beginning is decent enough and intense..... and then someone says something that you'd only expect to be said in "Blazing Saddles" and you are left looking at each other thinking "WTF??"

HBO had a description of "A Man and his dog wander together until pulled into a battle".. Pretty much figured what would happen by the description :(

but I think the description on IMDB is much better:

A mysterious stranger and a random act of violence drag a town of misfits and nitwits into the bloody crosshairs of revenge.

It was almost like John Travolta( not that he is that great of an actor ) hated the script and decided to give his worst acting performance since BattleField Earth. He was THAT bad..
ETA - This review about sums up how we felt:

Want a honest review, read this

dgefroh25 November 2016

I find it so frustrating to read review after review hailing these fringe movies and leading the movie goers astray. I've no financial interest in any of the movies I review, I tell it like it is for the typical movie goer with hope that my honest appraisal is what you are seeking.

Now to this movie.....Ti West wrote & directed this movie, so what! Who's he? My 11 year old grandson could of written as good a script as this want-a-be spaghetti western. If for any reason you are going to watch this movie because Ti West is involved just forget it, if this is an example of his movie making, maybe he should try another profession because good film making is NOT his thing.

Well what about the acting you ask? Terrible comes to mind, pathetic also fits in nicely. Whatever possessed John Travolta & Ethan Hawke to tie their wagon to this is beyond me. Both of those guys were better before, obviously they've either fallen on hard times and good roles don't come their way anymore or else they are broke and sold their acting soul for the almighty dollar. The entire cast over acts, maybe it's the writing, I think it's that deadly combination of terrible acting and even worst writing.

I love western movies, I'm always looking for good ones to watch. While the story was corny, the acting horrid, the dialog was stupid, and the out-come predictable, the movie was watchable. I did not fast forward any part of this one, I sat through it all right to the bitter end. I think the reason why I was able to endure this movie is only because I do like western movies and this one kind of fits the bill.

When you are deciding if you should watch this movie or not, I'm hopeful my review at least sets the table for you. Unless you are a die-hard western fan, I'd say take a serious pass on this want-to-be movie.

Edited by snogger
  • Like 2

Just watched ‘A Ghost Story’...Casey Affeck & Rooney Mara.  I watched it twice back-to-back...never seen anything quite like it.  45 minutes in, I was close to WTF...45 minutes later, I had done a 180.

Edited by TheDirtyWord

To elaborate, there is some silly stuff going on in the show, like an Asian sex slave ring, but I actually like the casting of Highmore and Farmiga as Norman and Mommy Bates that I keep sticking it out and I am interested to see where it goes.  I have stuck out a lot worse shows - ie True Blood.

9 hours ago, TheDirtyWord said:

Just watched ‘A Ghost Story’...Casey Affeck & Rooney Mara.  I watched it twice back-to-back...never seen anything quite like it.  45 minutes in, I was close to WTF...45 minutes later, I had done a 180.

Back to back viewings? :shock:

On 1/12/2018 at 8:35 PM, TheDirtyWord said:

Intrigued by this one.  Will check it out.

54 minutes ago, Daywalker said:

Shot Caller

On amazon prime now.

Jaime Lannister and the Punisher.  Prison movie.  It's a "B" movie but scratches that itch.  Was entertained and didnt roll my eyes too much.

I liked this one a lot. Nothing groundbreaking but I was thoroughly entertained.  :thumbup:

• Like 1
On 1/12/2018 at 6:54 PM, Ilov80s said:

Just saw The Post- fantastic film and insanely relevant. I haven't seen many movies this year but I would expect it to be a favorite for Best Picture.

i was really disappointed. great cast wasted on a terrible script. Speilberg also can't help himself with how he uses music too. a great film buried in the story there but a missed opportunity by SS,

4 hours ago, saintfool said:

i was really disappointed. great cast wasted on a terrible script. Speilberg also can't help himself with how he uses music too. a great film buried in the story there but a missed opportunity by SS,

Surprised. Cast was very deep. Direction was ok- music and some bizarre shots- but what was wrong with the script? 

19 hours ago, saintfool said:

John Williams is a great composer, but having the same guy score every movie you make is a bad idea. Choosing a variety of stories to film is a good idea, the same applies to music.

15 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Surprised. Cast was very deep. Direction was ok- music and some bizarre shots- but what was wrong with the script? 

i thought almost everything uttered by the cast - especially later in the film - was too "on the nose" and contrived. it was a story that could have been tackled by any number of different ways but failed in all of them.

23 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo said:

John Williams is a great composer, but having the same guy score every movie you make is a bad idea. Choosing a variety of stories to film is a good idea, the same applies to music.

it's been one of my most consistent complaints about SS. he asks Williams to tell us how to feel as opposed to adding texture to any scene or moment. trust the audience maybe?

• Like 1

i thought almost everything uttered by the cast - especially later in the film - was too "on the nose" and contrived. it was a story that could have been tackled by any number of different ways but failed in all of them.

it's been one of my most consistent complaints about SS. he asks Williams to tell us how to feel as opposed to adding texture to any scene or moment. trust the audience maybe?

It's Spielberg so of course it is a bit heavy handed- that's just his style. It was successful in contextualizing recent history through a 2018 POV, the performances were all good and was super polished. A very good Spielberg film. 

Not that I expected greatness, but Kingsman 2 was horrible...I enjoyed the first one, for all it's stupid fun.  This thing:. "Hey, how do we take a decent budding franchise, get a bunch of big name cameos, and manage to fully eff up the whole thing?  We make Kingsman: The Golden Circle"

• Like 1

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - I had no idea what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked it. Nothing that happens in this movie is believable; it's downright cartoonish in parts. Still, I liked all of the characters, especially Sam Rockwell. I could watch a spin-off movie about him trying to keep various jobs and his mom giving him advise about career and love.

• Like 2

I know you are all talking about real cinema but I have to be honest...

.. The Fate of the Furious might be one of the best movies ever made.

Yup. 

Not kidding.

If you don't like these movies we can't be friends.

And just for the record,  the wife sat down with me and said, and I quote, I don't know if they can pull this off without Paul Walker.

They did.  

• Like 1

Wheelman is pretty entertaining. Finally we see a movie about a getaway driver that actually involves them driving most of the time. Nothing groundbreaking, but definitely a fun time. Acted and executed well. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Yankee23Fan said:

I know you are all talking about real cinema but I have to be honest...

.. The Fate of the Furious might be one of the best movies ever made.

Yup. 

Not kidding.

If you don't like these movies we can't be friends.

And just for the record,  the wife sat down with me and said, and I quote, I don't know if they can pull this off without Paul Walker.

They did.  

Its not as good as 5, 6, 7 imo but still a fun ride