• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KarmaPolice

• jdoggydogg

• Ilov80s

• El Floppo

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know those movies aren't really about him, right?

Finally got around to seeing The Accountant.  I will preface this comment by stating that I am not a Ben Affleck fan at all.  The only two movies I liked him in were Dazed and Confused and Good Will H

so THAT'S why i never see you at our Paint Your Wagon discussion groups...

37 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I'm on record as saying I find nothing redeemable in the furiously fast series. Only given a few minutes of a few of them a try... More than enough for me.

Glad you all enjoy them.

1 was pretty  solid

then they went off the rails with 2 and 3

4 started to reel it back in

5 on - they started to realize what the franchise actually is and built from there

Edited by belljr
  • Like 1
28 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I'm on record as saying I find nothing redeemable in the furiously fast series. Only given a few minutes of a few of them a try... More than enough for me.

Glad you all enjoy them.

same for me. my boy keeps bugging me to watch them for our Saturday night movie night but he's too young. instead he just watches reruns of "Top Gear" and seems content enough for now.

13 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

Fandom of rasslin', hairbands, F-F-F-Furious (though still behind BttF as my #1 cinema 'huh?!')  all total brands of "incomplete person" in my book

That's a wide brush that I qualify for 3 out of 4 of.  :sadbanana:    

49 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

Fandom of rasslin', hairbands, F-F-F-Furious (though still behind BttF as my #1 cinema 'huh?!')  all total brands of "incomplete person" in my book

Not a fan of "rasslin'"

No idea what you mean by hairbrands

No idea what BttF is (Back to the Future?  Are you knocking Back to the Future?)

I'm a very complete person.

The Fast and the Furious series is exactly what you want from that type of movie.  They know who they are and they nail it.  Right down to The Rock doing the Samoan battle dance at the beginning.  Hysterical in all its awesomeness.  

It's only weakness is that they killed off Gal Gadot.  Big mistake that.  They need to bring her back daytime soap style somehow for 9.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Yankee23Fan said:

Not a fan of "rasslin'"

No idea what you mean by hairbrands

No idea what BttF is (Back to the Future?  Are you knocking Back to the Future?)

I'm a very complete person.

The Fast and the Furious series is exactly what you want from that type of movie.  They know who they are and they nail it.  Right down to The Rock doing the Samoan battle dance at the beginning.  Hysterical in all its awesomeness.  

It's only weakness is that they killed off Gal Gadot.  Big mistake that.  They need to bring her back daytime soap style somehow for 9.

enjoy

8 minutes ago, belljr said:

Lol at judgy mcjudgerson

Tbh, when I spend too much time thinking about how these things make so much money, I start getting depressed at the universal celebration of mediocrity. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

Tbh, when I spend too much time thinking about how these things make so much money, I start getting depressed at the universal celebration of mediocrity. 

Its no different than any other popcorn action flick shrug

and, to rekindle the flame, what's wrong with judging. it's pretty much all we do & certainly something we all do. what i'm saying here is that patterns like enjoyment of the cartoon soap operas of rasslin & action movies and thumpetythump misogynous mindlessness of metal indicates a person with abject needs for vicarious resolution of his dominance issues and brands one as someone i should consider accordingly, same with wokeness or effeminate enthusiam or jingoism.

Edited by wikkidpissah
30 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

We all do this if somebody says my favorite thing is X and X is something you hate or think is just absolutely stupid.  

I don't (or at least try not too) - If you like Whiplash no skin off my back :shrug:

13 minutes ago, belljr said:

I don't (or at least try not too) - If you like Whiplash no skin off my back :shrug:

No skin off your back, but if somebody lists 4 or 5 movies that are their absolute faves that you hate, I am guessing there will be some sort of judgement.  I am not saying that you will think they are dumb, wrong, or a bad person, but at the very least they are somebody that you probably aren't going to trust for movie recommendations - and that's a judgement.  

33 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

and, to rekindle the flame, what's wrong with judging. it's pretty much all we do & certainly something we all do. what i'm saying here is that patterns like enjoyment of the cartoon soap operas of rasslin & action movies and thumpetythump misogynous mindlessness of metal indicates a person with abject needs for vicarious resolution of his dominance issues and brands one as someone i should consider accordingly, same with wokeness or effeminate enthusiam or jingoism.

I at least understood that first sentence.  ;)

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

No skin off your back, but if somebody lists 4 or 5 movies that are their absolute faves that you hate, I am guessing there will be some sort of judgement.  I am not saying that you will think they are dumb, wrong, or a bad person, but at the very least they are somebody that you probably aren't going to trust for movie recommendations - and that's a judgement.  

Well we have different definitions of judging.   I'd say we have different tastes.  I agree with your point but to me people are saying you like movie X then you must be a dumb/bad/whatever type of person.

But we can all agree people that like Super Hero Movies are complete idiots right ?  :P

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

I have never seen a F&F movie. Not in a rush to either.

Think of Castaway, and then add awesome cars, awesome action, awesome music, awesome corny scripts, hot women and remove Tom Hanks and the sexualized sporting equipment.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Yankee23Fan said:

Think of Castaway, and then add awesome cars, awesome action, awesome music, awesome corny scripts, hot women and remove Tom Hanks and the sexualized sporting equipment.

I think THIS is my biggest point of contention with movies like this, and my old ### just doesn't get how people find so much CGI "action" that awesome or enjoyable to watch.  I blend the F&F movies together, but remember at the beginning of one there was a chase down a mountain that was ok for a bit, but it ends with the car driving at a bouncing CGI truck and avoiding it as it bounces over the car and I thought it was horrible to look at.   It's not that I hate action movies for popcorn flicks, but for me personally I need to have some sort illusion that MAYBE that could have been down with a stunt double and actual props (exceptions are movies where the world is set up like that - ie The Matrix).   As for car chases, give me something more like a Bourne movie, MI, Nolan directed - stuff like that.  Otherwise I am completely checked out.  

22 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Ok, now I am curious and am interesting in reading (and probably only partially understanding) an epic Almost Famous-level rant from @wikkidpissah about Back to the Future.  

Wish i had one. Almost Famous trivializes & cinderellas a segment of life that is very close to my heart & experience - hence the Pavlovian rage.

The Back to the Future franchise is just one i dont get the reverence for, but i realize that most of the reason is generational. I was a grownup when it came out and had my own goofy, senseless romps goin on & didnt need that one. My prob is the reverence, when it's just a kind of stoopit fun thing. We didn't have expert filmmakers manipulating our hopes & dreams when i was a kid (it was Gidget & Elvis drivin hotrods & ####) so i dont have a template for a foundational movie. My favorite flick growing up was Brando's Mutiny on the Bounty, cuz it had adventure, cruelty & National Geographic chicks, but that just dont translate. It's more than a matter of taste, but not egregiously so.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I think THIS is my biggest point of contention with movies like this, and my old ### just doesn't get how people find so much CGI "action" that awesome or enjoyable to watch.  I blend the F&F movies together, but remember at the beginning of one there was a chase down a mountain that was ok for a bit, but it ends with the car driving at a bouncing CGI truck and avoiding it as it bounces over the car and I thought it was horrible to look at.   It's not that I hate action movies for popcorn flicks, but for me personally I need to have some sort illusion that MAYBE that could have been down with a stunt double and actual props (exceptions are movies where the world is set up like that - ie The Matrix).   As for car chases, give me something more like a Bourne movie, MI, Nolan directed - stuff like that.  Otherwise I am completely checked out.  

Some of it is CGI but a lot of stuff is actually "performed"  - obviously not to the level you think but it is done with actual stunts

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/insane-fast-furious-stunts-did/

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/fate-of-the-furious-stunts-cgi-special-effects

UNIVERSAL PICTURES

TRENDING

Everything You Need To Do In Boston This Weekend

Everything You Need To Do In DC This Weekend

Everything Fun To Do In San Francisco This Weekend

Everything You Must Do In San Diego This Weekend

STUFF YOU'LL LIKE

Every Day You Can Get Into National Parks For Free This Year

Meryl Streep Fails An Oscar Quiz About Herself On 'Kimmel'

Here's Why Radiators Make That Horrible Banging Noise

This article contains spoilers for The Fate of the Furious, fam. 

RECOMMENDED VIDEO

Your video will play in 29 seconds

TECH

DRESS TO IMPRESS WITH THESE ANIMATED UGLY CHRISTMAS SWEATERS

WATCH MORE

By now it’s a rule that with each new movie in the Fast and Furious franchise, the stakes and the gas-guzzling action must increase in size and scope. The Fate of the Furious, the eighth installation of this engine revving, NOS-pumping series, is no exception, and somehow one-ups its predecessor on the action front, going bigger than parachuting cars from an airplane and shooting hot rods through skyscrapers.

You'd think that these escalations would require a corresponding expansion of visual effects. But speak with the film’s stunt coordinators -- Jack Gill, Andy Gill, and Spiro Razatos -- and you might be surprised by just how little they rely on digital augmentation. We asked them about each of the film’s four major action sequences to learn how they pulled off these incredible feats of diesel-fueled damage, and how much of it was actually real (hint: quite a lot).

UNIVERSAL PICTURES

Havana racing scene

What happens: The film's opening set piece is an ode to the franchise's roots, a reminder of where Vin Diesel's Dominic Torreto and the rest of his driving family began. Naturally, a drag race in the streets of Havana, Cuba becomes a test of ingenuity. Dom chooses to race with a clunker that stands no chance against his opponent, until he uses some Nos, which sets fire to his engine and forces him to race the final stretch in reverse just so he can see where he's going. The brakes give out (of course!) just across the finish line, and Dom jumps out of the burning car before it hits a barrier and shoots up into the air, plummeting into the ocean.

UNIVERSAL PICTURES

How real is it? "It was 99% all real," Jack Gill said. "The only thing we had trouble with was about the first quarter of the race, the car catches on fire. We had authentic fire for most of it, but when we started picking the speeds up, we found out the fire was getting inside the car, and the stunt guy just couldn't take it anymore, so we had to turn the fire down and augment the fire with a bigger fire for the ending... All the bumping and grinding, sliding around the corners in tight formats was all real."

To get the car jump right, Gill and his crew had to stitch two shots together.

"The car that we pulled in that hit the wall only jumped in the air about five feet because the impact was so hard that it just bent the car in half," Gill said. "We didn't have time to shoot the second one, so I said as long as you guys will use my angles, then we'll shoot another car off against a green screen so it's still a real car. Essentially it's still the real car and it's still the real angles, we just had to put the two together."

UNIVERSAL PICTURES

Germany wrecking ball scene

What happens: The whole crew, led by Dwayne Johnson's Hobbs, manages to steal an EMP device and avoid a fleet of German security officials in pursuit. How? A giant wrecking ball. The group lures their followers into a construction zone, where they narrowly diverge from a wrecking ball's swing path. A specially built 35,000lb ball takes out everyone behind them, then bludgeons them again as it swings back, creating a vehicle junkyard.

UNIVERSAL PICTURES

How real is it? Andy Gill says about 70% of it was real. "We actually built a real wrecking ball," Andy said. "We drove our hero cars beside it as we released it, and we towed in our bad guys' cars in formation to get hit by the ball and timed it all out. On the front of the ball we put almost like a V-ramp so that it would lift the cars and they would run up that V-ramp... Watching it happen and seeing that ball fly by is amazing. It's a lot of power."

"Once we put real guys in there we said 'Look, if your car coughs or it even hesitates for a second, you're dead,'" Jack said. "You can't have any part of your car in front of this thing. So what you see is real. The only thing they added to it was some debris from the car flying towards the camera."

RELATED

Everything We Know About The Rock And Vin Diesel's Furious Feud

UNIVERSAL PICTURES

New York City zombie car scene

What happens: Cipher (Charlize Theron) puts Dom in charge of stealing the German Ambassador's nuclear codes and is eager to retrieve them by any means necessary. That includes hacking dozens of driverless cars and swerving them around New York City -- including through five-story car garages.

UNIVERSAL PICTURES

How real is it? While the crew took some flyby shots of New York landmarks, the majority of these scenes were filmed in Cleveland. But only one shot, which shows a fleet of cars converging into an intersection, was enhanced digitally.

"There's only one shot, one intersection shot, that's not real," Razatos said. "Everything [else] is real, so that's the sequence that I'm really, really happy [about]... I know why they put it in -- it tells the story of all the cars merging -- but I think they could have shortened that shot."

"We had 17 or 18 cars that we threw out of the parking structure on top of our entourage," added Andy. "Spiro, for the look, was adamant about the first drop having seven cars in the air at the same time. It looked really cool. We found a parking structure that allowed us to do it. It was perfect for it. Built our own ramps in and they counterweighted the cars so when they were released, the counter weight would pull them toward the exit, go through the barrier and drop."

UNIVERSAL PICTURES

Arctic chase finale

What happens: So, so much. An epic chase is capped by Diesel's Dom escaping a heat-seeking torpedo by jumping a submarine, causing the torpedo to hit the sub instead of his car. Yeah.

UNIVERSAL PICTURES

How real is it? The final sequence includes so many moving parts -- a submarine, torpedoes, cars flying into the air -- that it took the stunt crew more than two months to complete it all.

It has been the imperative of the entire unit, throughout the majority of the Fast and Furious franchise, to ground everything in real stunts as often as possible. That remains the case here but for the fact that the scene was shot in Iceland (not Russia), and the submarine was the only major computer-generated addition.

"Most all of the Iceland [scene] was real except for the submarine," Andy said. "When the hero cars are being chased by the bad guys in the SUVs and they get blown up in the air by the sub, that's all physical."

"One of the things we tried to do was use the Phantom Camera, which is new to the franchise," Razatos said. "You're able to go up to one thousand frames per second. When the sub hits Dom's car and it's tumbling as it's landing, there's actually a shot where you see it from normal speed to one thousand frames per second, and you see this burning tire in the foreground. Everybody would think it's a CGI shot, and it's not."

ITS STILL REAL TO ME DAMNIT

Edited by belljr
2 minutes ago, belljr said:

Some of it is CGI but a lot of stuff is actually "performed"  - obviously not to the level you think but it is done with actual stunts

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/insane-fast-furious-stunts-did/

I get it, and there is some good stuff in the movies, but for me personally they always just had to that one step too far because they are hitting the 5th+ of these movies and they have to go bigger and bigger.  I am not saying it's all CGI or anything  Perfect example was the one I listed and was in the article that you linked - the gas tankers from #4.  I was all aboard and having some fun until the bouncing exploding CGI tanker comes along then I start with the crossed arms and eyerolling.  

1 hour ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Saw the first one when I was 20 or 21, it was cool. I have never seen another one and don't plan on rewatching the first. That's my take. Cool car movie but as a franchise, I don't get it. 

5 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

5 hours ago, belljr said:

Its no different than any other popcorn action flick shrug

Incorrect.  Not all popcorn flicks are created equal.  

yeah... agree. also, not all popcorn action flicks have a new release every year or so... ad nauseum. no skin off my nose though- what I don't see can't hurt me.

The Big Sick - Liked it; lots of chuckles throughout but few big laughs. The main character asks his parents a good question: why raise your children in America if you want them to live like they're still in Pakistan?

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Gr00vus said:

Saw Wonder Woman. I've lost my flair for superhero movies in my old age. I really liked this one. It got heavy handed towards the end, and I didn't always love the CGI, but it was a great ride regardless.

I think Wonder Woman was just emotional enough to elevate it over most comic book movies.

15 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Now they're dumb, but the last couple are excellent if you watch them as comedies.

• Like 1