What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (8 Viewers)

Not a rental, but saw Creed II today. If you liked the first (or the  Rocky films), you'll probably like this. I didn't think it was as clever as Creed (probably because Stallone co-wrote this one), but it was still a better film than all but the original Rocky, Creed I, and Rocky Balboa in the series.MB Jordan was strong, Tessa Thompson was stronger, and I really like what they did with the antagonist(s)

I thought The Queen with Helen Mirren was good. I didnt know anything about the royal's reaction, or lack thereof, to Diana's death.

It's not out til next month, but does the prospect of seeing Ferrell & Reilly as Holmes & Watson tickle anyone else as a perfect comic idea as it does me?
yep Step Brothers one of my all time favorite comedies and big fan of John C  

Looking forward to all the movies he has coming out the remainder of this year - The Sisters Brothers, Wreck it Ralph 2, Stan and Ollie and Holmes and Watson

Haven't seem everything he has been in but have liked everything I have seen. very underrated IMO

Last edited by a moderator:

Looking forward to all the movies he has coming out the remainder of this year - The Sisters Brothers, Wreck it Ralph 2, Stan and Ollie and Holmes and Watson

Haven't seem everything he has been in but have liked everything I have seen. very underrated IMO
Dr Steve Brule is his best role.  

For your health!

Took 7yo floppoinha and friend to see an early showing of Close Encounters at the film forum (NYC art/oldies house). Hadn't seen it in years- and held up surprisingly well. Does a lot of what Spielberg does at his best- effects, kids, families, groups...really well done technically. Floppinha gave it a 👍

Only thing that surprised me this time around as a dad is how easily Dreyfuss leaves his kids behind. Never occurred to me before.

Did we just become best friends?

Saw The Shootist over the weekend. It's John Wayne's last movie and I think he went out on a heck of a strong note. The supporting cast is good: James Stewart, Lauren BaCall, Ron Howard. It had just enough 70s in it without compromising the feel of a typical Wayne picture. 

It's not out til next month, but does the prospect of seeing Ferrell & Reilly as Holmes & Watson tickle anyone else as a perfect comic idea as it does me?
Oh I'm totally in.

My buddy said the trailer looked lame, and I said, "If by lame you mean totally awesome, then I agree."

Watched "The Last Wave" and once again I am impressed by a Peter Weir ( @wikkidpissah) movie. He has a heck of a resume. This story of a group of Aborigine men on trial for murder while their lawyer is being haunted by reoccurring apocalyptic nightmares is quite unique. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched "The Last Wave" and once again I am impressed by a Peter Weir ( @wikkidpissah) movie. He has a heck of a resume. This story of a group of Aborigine men on trial for murder while their lawyer is being haunted by reoccurring apocalyptic event is quite unique. 
big fan of this one. at some point, it was my favorite of his.

big fan of this one. at some point, it was my favorite of his.
Pretty hard to really rank them. I have seen The Last Wave, Picnic at Hanging Rock, The Year of Living Dangerously, Witness, Dead Poets, Truman Show. Do you have a recommendation for the next one to watch?

Pretty hard to really rank them. I have seen The Last Wave, Picnic at Hanging Rock, The Year of Living Dangerously, Witness, Dead Poets, Truman Show. Do you have a recommendation for the next one to watch?
!

Gallipolli was the one that turned me on to him, so i'm partial. Loved the last two, Master & Commander and The Way Back, but then i loved em all.

master and commander is a good all-around watch- I'd say that. 

that, cars that ate paris and galiopoli are all well worth your time. IIRC, gallipoli was my first exposure to mel (didn't see max until after seeing road warrior) and a pretty heavy movie. cars is more fun.

I just watched the way back (his most recent) and it's an interesting epic. suffers a bit from pacing issues IMO, but worth watching.

fearless is a sneakily decent movie too.

So sounds like Gallipoli it is. I will keep an eye out for it. I remember people like Master and Commander but I am usually not a fan of boat/storm movies. I will make an exception in this case. 

Watched "The Last Wave" and once again I am impressed by a Peter Weir ( @wikkidpissah) movie. He has a heck of a resume. This story of a group of Aborigine men on trial for murder while their lawyer is being haunted by reoccurring apocalyptic event is quite unique. 
Wow, big Peter Weir fan and this is a good reminder that I haven't seen that one yet.

check this off my list.  I put it in my NetFlix que and watched it last night.  I enjoyed it.  P Sellers was excellent.
this is a top three movie for me, so I'm biased.. but I'll say my enjoyment of it has increased upon repeated viewings.

sterling hayden's general jack d ripper is one of my favorite all-time performances and characters. and of course sellers. oh- the names- "sgt batguano, if that really is your name" get me every time.

and I think I mentioned Hayden lived in my home town, at least in the 70s/80s. tall guy- used to walk around in a cape and with a huge staff- like moses. I might be making up the cape part.... but that's how he is in my memory.

this is a top three movie for me, so I'm biased.. but I'll say my enjoyment of it has increased upon repeated viewings.

sterling hayden's general jack d ripper is one of my favorite all-time performances and characters. and of course sellers. oh- the names- "sgt batguano, if that really is your name" get me every time.
Yeah, I could see myself watching it again and picking up stuff I might have missed the first time.

While Sellers was great, I actually did love George C Scott's over the top performance.  So great!!!

and I think I mentioned Hayden lived in my home town, at least in the 70s/80s. tall guy- used to walk around in a cape and with a huge staff- like moses. I might be making up the cape part.... but that's how he is in my memory.
that's how he should be in everyone's memory. if anyone's a lazy reader, the sea novels he wrote are not a waste of time.

Sterling Hayden is one of those great underrated male actors we just don't get enough of anymore. Tough as nails. Right up there with Robert Mitchum and Robert Ryan. 

The Grinch is mostly not good but with enough goodness that is worth watching with younger kids if you have to.

The new Halloween is nothing you haven't seen before but is pretty good. Not really at all scary. 

The Grinch is mostly not good but with enough goodness that is worth watching with younger kids if you have to.
forgot I saw this with floppinha.

for me, the problem is that the grinch should be this truly awful dude, who finally comes around. in this, he starts off being nice-ish to his dog, and very quickly feel like he's just a normal curmudgeonly guy with a grudge  who gets over it.  the backstories kinda work, but ruin it.

we also saw the latest wreck it ralph... which I guess was ok. while I'm not looking forward to the kids not being little any more, I won't mind not having to seeing these throwaway films in the theaters

The Foreigner

I'm almost embarrassed to say how much I liked this movie.  I had low expectations and came away very entertained.  Obviously not an award winning movie, but it was a good "revenge" movie.  Jackie Chan can still get it done.
Just watched this. Thought it was REALLY good. Great to see Jackie Chan again. And Pierce Brosnan brings it. 

Really entertaining movie.

Saw The Witch which seemed to catch my eyes and ears this October as a horror movie people really enjoyed. I do have to get that a thumbs up. It was not a great movie but it was scary, interesting and felt different from typical horror. 

Users who are viewing this thread