Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition

6 hours ago, TripItUp said:

Interesting, getting trashed by the critics.

I think M Night's has a bit of a built in knee-jerk negative effect for critics after his string of turds like The Hapening.  I still haven't seen Split, and his involvement is a big reason for me too. 

• Replies 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KarmaPolice

• Ilov80s

• jdoggydogg

• El Floppo

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

25th Anniversary of Fargo's release date was Monday. Watched it again last night for the umpteenth time. I still noticed new things. Marge Gunderson is one of cinema's all-time best heroes. 

You know those movies aren't really about him, right?

so THAT'S why i never see you at our Paint Your Wagon discussion groups...

1 minute ago, KarmaPolice said:

I think M Night's has a bit of a built in knee-jerk negative effect for critics after his string of turds like The Hapening.  I still haven't seen Split, and his involvement is a big reason for me too. 

Split was good.  Not great, but compared to most of what's put out these days, pretty good. 

2 minutes ago, James Daulton said:

Split was good.  Not great, but compared to most of what's put out these days, pretty good. 

Pretty low bar lately  Sometimes all it takes is for it not to be a remake, sequel, or superhero movie to get a 7 from me.  

I looked at the movies coming out this year, and it looks to be more of the same.  I blame @snogger;)

The Dirty Dozen was ok. The last action sequence was fun but similar to The Great Escape, it’s just a certain era and type of film that doesn’t do it for me. I have the Wild Bunch still to watch but my guess is I’ll have a similar reaction. 

3 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

The Dirty Dozen was ok. The last action sequence was fun but similar to The Great Escape, it’s just a certain era and type of film that doesn’t do it for me. I have the Wild Bunch still to watch but my guess is I’ll have a similar reaction. 

Wild Bunch is much better than those two movies, IMO.

DD and TGE feature almost cartoonish heroes and the action is pretty sanitized. 

WB has anti-heroes and there's not much glory involved.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Pretty low bar lately  Sometimes all it takes is for it not to be a remake, sequel, or superhero movie to get a 7 from me.  

I looked at the movies coming out this year, and it looks to be more of the same.  I blame @snogger;)

:lol: Haven't seen a movie in the theater since the Halloween reboot... maybe reboots are what works now as the rest has been crap lately :kicksrock:

On 1/19/2019 at 8:28 PM, KarmaPolice said:

In prep for the podcast, I watched Rear Window again the other night.  It's been years and years since I've seen it, and it feels like different things stuck out for me this time around - mainly what a #### Stewart is most of the movie to the people around him.  Also picked up more of the rooms he is spying on being a reflection of his thoughts and conversations that he is having and how Grace Kelly's character seemed to be a hybrid of Ms Torso and Ms Lonely hearts.   Also forgot how funny his nurse is.   One of my favorites of Hitchcock's for sure.  

Second only to Gloria Grahame in juiciest character roles of the 50s, Thelma Ritter was one of the great scenery-munchers of all time. After breaking out in All About Eve, i'm pretty sure that every movie of that era with pace problems hired Miss Ritter to add fat moments of audience voice to their picture. She was especially great in The Misfits and Birdman of Alcatraz

• Like 1
On 1/19/2019 at 6:44 PM, whoknew said:

Galveston - It was better than I thought it'd be. Its basically an action/drama movie. Ben Foster is really good - but he always is. The story is a little tired - at least until the end. Overall, worth a watch.

Great acting performances. But I’m so freaking depressed now. Just a really dark story. 

Edited by bigbottom
  • Like 1
21 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

Second only to Gloria Grahame in juiciest character roles of the 50s, Thelma Ritter was one of the great scenery-munchers of all time. After breaking out in All About Eve, i'm pretty sure that every movie of that era with pace problems hired Miss Ritter to add fat moments of audience voice to their picture. She was especially great in The Misfits and Birdman of Alcatraz

Gloria Graham was great in the few leads she got as well- she's just dynamite. As for great Ritter performances, I also have to mention Pickup on South Street. She's incredible in that. 

On 1/20/2019 at 12:25 PM, Andy Dufresne said:

WB  was not the "fun" buddy movie the others were. That was my biggest complaint with TGE- it made a German prison camp seem pretty mild and fun. It wasn't untill the very final 20 minutes or so that it seemed like there were any real stakes. DD saw lots of main characters die and it felt a bit more serious than TGE. Still for me the WB had incredible action sequences in the beginning and end but a lot of the middle was a drag. I think the The Magnificent Seven is still left on my list. How would you rank that? 

My current rankings:

1. Dirty Dozen 2. Wild Bunch  3. The Great Escape 

John Wick: Chapter 2 - I really liked the first one but this one, not nearly as much. It started out great with him getting his car back but fell off as the story went on. Non-stop shooting, what a high kill count!, but got boring after a while. Not as creative in the kills as the first one. Keanu's acting was hilariously bad. Just not as fun as the first one, imo. 2.5/5

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

WB  was not the "fun" buddy movie the others were. That was my biggest complaint with TGE- it made a German prison camp seem pretty mild and fun. It wasn't untill the very final 20 minutes or so that it seemed like there were any real stakes. DD saw lots of main characters die and it felt a bit more serious than TGE. Still for me the WB had incredible action sequences in the beginning and end but a lot of the middle was a drag. I think the The Magnificent Seven is still left on my list. How would you rank that? 

My current rankings:

1. Dirty Dozen 2. Wild Bunch  3. The Great Escape 

IIRC Magnificent Seven didn't really engage me much. Worth a watch but I'm not compelled to do so again.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

IIRC Magnificent Seven didn't really engage me much. Worth a watch but I'm not compelled to do so again.

Does that cover the 60s genre of "gang of misfit guys team up to take on ______"? 

• Laughing 1
On 1/20/2019 at 12:25 PM, Andy Dufresne said:

"Why not?"

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Watch the one Hulu did, too. 

Anyone who feels overwhelmed at work or things going on in their personal lives should take time to watch this. 

You will feel relieved.

I can’t beleive how something could move that far, that fast.

Pretty amazing commentary on Instagram and it’s effects on people. 

I watched Vertigo in prep for the pod released today, but saw it was a 2 parter, so I will hold off listening until next week.   Such a weird, weird movie that just sucked me in and I am thinking about it a day later still.  I will be honest - I don't think I fully understood what was going on when I watched it for the first time several years ago.  I am considering watching it again next week.  

I am starting to feel the movie juices flowing again. (probably not the best choice of words there).   I have a couple other classics I have been meaning to get to at home now that I plan to watch in the next week and finally cash in on some promises to fellow FFAers.  I am starting to get over the fact that sometimes I can only get through an hour of entertainment at night, and it's OK to watch 1/2 or 1/3 of a movie and pick it up the next night.  Better than watching some crap TV show.  

Speaking of crap, I am about to pop in Halloween (2018), and hope that it doesn't fall into that category.  

Edited by KarmaPolice
  • Like 1
On 1/23/2019 at 4:08 PM, belljr said:

Glass was ok.  Nothing great imo.   i didn't view it like a thirller too much :unsure:

I saw it last night. Thought it was gawd awful. 

9 hours ago, whoknew said:

Two questions:

1) How do people not watch Taken every time it is on?

2) How was it only 58% on RT?

LOL.  This applies to me.  If I see it when channel surfing, I watch including last night.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Speaking of crap, I am about to pop in Halloween (2018), and hope that it doesn't fall into that category.  

Not sure if crap is the term I would use, but dull probably is.  

@El Floppo will be glad to know that I finally watched Seven Samurai.   Really loved it, but I will say that there is still something from the old time movies from that region that is keeping me at arm's length.  Maybe the acting style?  I have seen Rashomon already - what would people say is the next Kurosawa to watch?

Since I am in the movie mood, I did a free 30 day trial to Mubi.  I really like what they are trying to do and their site has a Criterion feel to it.  Going to give it a go and watch a couple movies I haven't seen or heard of and judge if I think it's worth the subscription. 

Blood Father - 7/10

It was free on Vudu so I figured why not. There are some pretty funny bits of dialog and the action is decent enough that compounded with Mel's insanity makes this actually worth watching. It's only 89 minutes long! Lol

American Made - 7.5/10

Pretty much the same review as above with only a slightly less crazy Tom Cruise. 

Edited by Andy Dufresne
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Not sure if crap is the term I would use, but dull probably is.  

@El Floppo will be glad to know that I finally watched Seven Samurai.   Really loved it, but I will say that there is still something from the old time movies from that region that is keeping me at arm's length.  Maybe the acting style?  I have seen Rashomon already - what would people say is the next Kurosawa to watch?

Since I am in the movie mood, I did a free 30 day trial to Mubi.  I really like what they are trying to do and their site has a Criterion feel to it.  Going to give it a go and watch a couple movies I haven't seen or heard of and judge if I think it's worth the subscription. 

Throne of Blood.

It took talkies a good thirty years to learn how to talk naturalistically. Calibrate for language, culture and.........

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, jamny said:

Watched Hereditary today. We made it about a half hour in before I started jumping ahead. So slow. Silly ending. Horrible.

Weak movie imo.  Don’t get the love.

• Like 1

watched the latest alien movie (covenant?) over the weekend. expected worse, but didn't come away that into it. liked the look of it, some decent actors/acting, silly story that almost worked.

one thing- the different alien back-stories seem at odds.

AVP- predators created the aliens as perfect prey? here, the goliaths created a version that david perfected into the current Alien?

Adrift - 7/10

Woodley and Claflin are a believable couple and she gives a good performance as a survivor. I like that the title also refers to her life before meeting The Guy.

Get Out - 7/10

I'm sure that everything that can be said about this already has. I'm just glad I'm not a black man. I have enough emotional baggage as it is being white.

2 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Adrift - 7/10

Woodley and Claflin are a believable couple and she gives a good performance as a survivor. I like that the title also refers to her life before meeting The Guy.

Get Out - 7/10

I'm sure that everything that can be said about this already has. I'm just glad I'm not a black man. I have enough emotional baggage as it is being white.

Kind of a spoiler don't you think?

I barely worked this week and saw a ton of movies, here are 3 old ones 

Othello- Welles is a freaking genius. This movie had no money behind it. He had to film it over small stretches over a long period of time. This is a mess that became a masterpiece. Welles miscast himself as Othello but I can not blame him  given the issues casting, filming and financing. Shakespeare is to words as Welles was to movie imagery. It's just beautiful to behold.  I wonder if he had seen the Passion of Joan of Arc? I know it is one of the best movies ever made and routinely cited as a masterpiece but it was also lost for a long time. Othello has a lot resemblance so I do wonder.

A Star is Born (37)- It's very good but it hits most of the same beats as the Judy Garland version which is substantially better

Jamaica Inn- It is Hitchcock, Laughton and Daphne De Maurier but it's as bad as the reviews indicate

Edited by Ilov80s

First Man.

Hard not to be riveted by anything NASA related.  This is no exception.

It's not the absolute homerun that we all wanted after the first trailer dropped.  But I was completely enthralled and the filmmaking is excellent.  The score should have gotten an Oscar nom.

Not sure why this movie got so overlooked.  It could have very easily went the other way and been a critical darling. 

8/10

• Like 1
On 1/29/2019 at 8:28 PM, Mario Kart said:

Leave No Trace

Sad, real, and a good movie. We see movies like Platoon or Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers, but the truth of war is in movies like this.

I was still thinking about this movie days later

Reminding all who havent completely gone over to streaming & binging - if you're bored this month, turn on TCM. It's their Month of Oscar - every picture an Academy Award winner. Fell into bed drunk last nite and watched Days of Wine and Roses AND Lost Weekend back2back. Almost checked myself into rehab....

ETA: Got Tuesday circled - foreign flix, including Rashomon & 400 Blows, all day

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 1
On 2/3/2019 at 12:35 PM, wikkidpissah said:

Reminding all who havent completely gone over to streaming & binging - if you're bored this month, turn on TCM. It's their Month of Oscar - every picture an Academy Award winner. Fell into bed drunk last nite and watched Days of Wine and Roses AND Lost Weekend back2back. Almost checked myself into rehab....

ETA: Got Tuesday circled - foreign flix, including Rashomon & 400 Blows, all day

Damn have been wanting to see this for a while now...will have to see if it is playing again this month

I've never heard of the movie 7 Faces of Dr. Lao but I was in after only the first few words of the description: "A Chinese showman (Tony Randall)..." Looking forward to a few laughs over the weekend.

• Laughing 2
22 hours ago, jamny said:

I've never heard of the movie 7 Faces of Dr. Lao but I was in after only the first few words of the description: "A Chinese showman (Tony Randall)..." Looking forward to a few laughs over the weekend.

I had the great pleasure to wake up to a similarly titled movie - The 500 Fingers of Dr. T - on TCM the other morning and was reminded what a classic kids film it was. If you don't know, a kid dozes off while practicing the dreaded piano and has a dream about a world run by his evil piano teacher. It was written by Dr. Seuss before he was famous and it's got all the kidcentric notes you'd expect him to hit but with a whole nuther set of eccentricities. A great treat.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

I had the great pleasure to wake up to a similarly titled movie - The 500 Fingers of Dr. T - on TCM the other morning and was reminded what a classic kids film it was. If you don't know, a kid dozes off while practicing the dreaded piano and has a dream about a world run by his evil piano teacher. It was written by Dr. Seuss before he was famous and it's got all the kidcentric notes you'd expect him to hit but with a whole nuther set of eccentricities. A great treat.

I have only seen that on hallucinogens. fan-#######-tastic movie. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Albert Finney died.

Finney chasing those guys down with his Tommy gun in Miller's Crossing to the sound of opera is one of my favorite scenes in any movie.

• Like 3

Susperia

The original.

Granted, Dario Argento movies have lots of bad acting and very weird dialogue. But man, does this guy know how to shoot a film. Argento can film anything...ANYTHING...and make it seem scary. The Goblin soundtrack plus these amazing shots make this one of the greatest horror films ever made. 

• Like 2