What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (6 Viewers)

I did it. Just finished.

Well worth it. Kane was my least favorite - tho it was great...as always.

Falstaff - wow! Really. I need to re-watch this - this week. This is great. The kind of movie that I can watch over and over.

I think I missed more of the full potential of this on my 1st watch than The Trial. Will is not my strongest suit - I know there is so much more here to discover.

Finally, in the midst of such great writing, acting and depth ---

--- does it say something bad or shallow about me that this was my favorite part?

Falstaff misses his horse and has to foot it - but dangit - he's still chargin' & chargin'

Time to sleep.
Way to soldier on, boyo. Time to rest. Since the sleep of reason brings forth monsters, you shouldn't be terribly bothered....

Chimes @ Midnight, which i first saw when @krista4 discovered it had finally been delivered from decades of litigony and found a place to stream it years ago, is a gift that keeps on giving. Best movie battles - covering the clumsy & calamitous with the glory - i've seen and one of the best characters in the history of storytelling. Gimme more.

wikkidpissah said:
Way to soldier on, boyo. Time to rest. Since the sleep of reason brings forth monsters, you shouldn't be terribly bothered....

Chimes @ Midnight, which i first saw when @krista4 discovered it had finally been delivered from decades of litigony and found a place to stream it years ago, is a gift that keeps on giving. Best movie battles - covering the clumsy & calamitous with the glory - i've seen and one of the best characters in the history of storytelling. Gimme more.
Thanks. And yes, more!

OK, now that I have slept on it, I have decided on my favorite part that actually has dialogue:

Falstaff and Hal mimic King Henry IV & Prince Hal -  part 1  part 2

I chose this because it is the establishing of the relationship between Prince Hal & Falstaff. It mocks King Henry IV for the common folk, obviously, but it also puts to the argument Falstaff's ultimate fate.

The humor is apparent - and I absolutely love it - but this is a serious play, even if no one watching knows it - yet.

And, Prince Hal spoils the ultimate end - at the play end:

Falstaff: ...Banish plump Jack, and banish all the world....

Prince Hal: I do!   I will. 

<end scene>

My original notes for this scene:

Falstaff - innocence yet flawed

Earns his keep stealing/performing - childlike - innocent yet thief - father figure -
I love Falstaff.

I now think he never was a true father figure to Prince Hal.

But, I think he gave to Prince Hal, that which is the best of Prince Hal.

And I think Henry V knows that as well.

And, I think this scene paints it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to see the 4K restoration of Detour at the DIA with my dad tomorrow night. In a bit of a twist, he hasn’t seen it and I have.

Mirage - A must see!

Available for streaming on Netflix. Spanish movie dubbed in English.

Vera (Adriana Ugarte - A Julianne Moore look & act alike) connected through time via a video recorder and mysterious electrical storm, saves the life of a boy who originally died after discovering a murder. This, of course, changes her life and sends her on a mission to recover her "lost" daughter.

You know how you wish there were more intelligent movies you could watch - especially in the sci-fi genre? Well here's an answer for you. It seems a little slow in parts, but that's just the slow burn that increases the impact and payoff of a magnificent tying together of the movie's many threads.

Boy howdy did I like this movie!

"The Little Foxes" on TCM tonight.  I haven't seen that one, but heard it is great.

ETA: And really just wish I was working from home today.  Looking at the TCM schedule, The Searchers on now.  Night Nurse (recently bought that one on DVD) and Night of the Hunter on this afternoon.

Mirage - A must see!

Available for streaming on Netflix. Spanish movie dubbed in English.

Vera (Adriana Ugarte - A Julianne Moore look & act alike) connected through time via a video recorder and mysterious electrical storm, saves the life of a boy who originally died after discovering a murder. This, of course, changes her life and sends her on a mission to recover her "lost" daughter.

You know how you wish there were more intelligent movies you could watch - especially in the sci-fi genre? Well here's an answer for you. It seems a little slow in parts, but that's just the slow burn that increases the impact and payoff of a magnificent tying together of the movie's many threads.

Boy howdy did I like this movie!
Thanks - I will have to look this one up.  

Detour is so much fun! Ann Savage is such a riot. 

That's life. Whichever way you turn, Fate sticks out a foot to trip you.

Watched BlacKkKlansman last night.  I’m still too far behind on movies from last year to say whether it should have won Best Picture, but a way, way better movie than Green Book.  Certainly the best Spike Lee that I’ve seen in a long time.  It works on a lot of different levels:  a thought-provoking film about race relations that is still relevant today, with some elements of a buddy cop comedy along the lines of Lethal Weapon.

Oscar Welles night on TCM. At 8pm, a two-hr profile of the patron saint of Pink's Hot Dogs called The Eyes of Orson Welles, followed by his The Trial, Mr Arkadin, Citizen Kane, Lady From Shanghai and the greatest Shakespeare movie ever made, Chimes at Midnight, wrapping up @ 8am.
OK. I have finished my thinking on The Trial.

A man is accused of a crime, but neither he nor the viewer are ever told what that crime is. Joe K (the protagonist) asserts his innocence, yet there is no "internal narration" or "external evidence" to provide a true answer. There is no anchor in the story that allows the viewer to judge.

Joe K seeks justice, yet is met with only absurdity. He sees no way to win in the system.

In response, Joe tries to play a different game; a game that he thinks he can win. But, he is actually only playing a variation of the exact same game - that is so absurd.

In the end, he is sentenced to death by his own hand, yet he could have saved himself - if he had thrown away the dynamite in the end. He could not. He could not save himself.

In my opinion, that dynamite was his guilt. He could not forgive himself - he could not throw away his own guilt. He could not forgive himself.

Does that mean he was guilty of the unknown crime that he was sentenced to death for?

I do not know. He could be feeling guilt from many things. And, in the end - if you can't forgive (yourself or others) does it really matter if you are or were guilty?

I dunno. But - I think that was on Oscar's mind.

:2cents:

Also, I earlier stated that this was my current favorite movie. Well - that phase is over. I am never going to watch this movie again.

Just saw the original Godzilla at the theater. Much different than I expected.

I went in expecting it to be very campy and funny. Obviously the special effects were pretty absurd (though I'm sure cutting edge for the time), I was surprised at how serious they took it. Prior to the movie, the theater's film person described the film as a horror movie. I get why he said that. In its day, I've no doubt it was. It was 100% somber, serious. Unlike today's Godzilla movies, there was no humor. They were not in on the joke. It was all serious. 

Anyway, I reckon most of you have seen it but I had not. And I was just surprised at how serious they took the story.

Just saw the original Godzilla at the theater. Much different than I expected.

I went in expecting it to be very campy and funny. Obviously the special effects were pretty absurd (though I'm sure cutting edge for the time), I was surprised at how serious they took it. Prior to the movie, the theater's film person described the film as a horror movie. I get why he said that. In its day, I've no doubt it was. It was 100% somber, serious. Unlike today's Godzilla movies, there was no humor. They were not in on the joke. It was all serious. 

Anyway, I reckon most of you have seen it but I had not. And I was just surprised at how serious they took the story.
Was it the Raymond Burr version?

I'm a moron and so, until tonight, I didn't put two and two together and realize how the bombings of Nagasaki and Hiroshima and the H-Bomb testing affected Japanese cinema. And, directly, Godzilla. 

So, as I posted above, it was a really serious movie that was a commentary on H bomb testing. 

I mean, I still laughed at the absurdity of it now - but its clear that in 1954 it was not at all meant as a campy movie. Fascinating.

"book smart" last night. very funny and charming. it's not breaking much new ground here but it did feel fresh in some ways. it's a hoot...

Watched BlacKkKlansman last night.  I’m still too far behind on movies from last year to say whether it should have won Best Picture, but a way, way better movie than Green Book.  Certainly the best Spike Lee that I’ve seen in a long time.  It works on a lot of different levels:  a thought-provoking film about race relations that is still relevant today, with some elements of a buddy cop comedy along the lines of Lethal Weapon.
Excellent movie.

"book smart" last night. very funny and charming. it's not breaking much new ground here but it did feel fresh in some ways. it's a hoot...
I saw it, as well. Very entertaining.

I was waiting for "This film is dedicated to Broad City," because this movie owes almost everything to that TV show. 

I saw it over the weekend. I thought it was only ok.

I had heard it compared to Superbad. I just didn't think it was anywhere near as funny as that. It was more a coming of age friendship drama. And they tried to throw in some humor - but the humor wasn't that good. 

watched Star is Born over the weekend. the performances were good and it was well filmed/paced... I just didn't give a crap about the story. already seen the others (not the original, original) and just don't care. was wondering how they'd play the big embarrassment scene- felt really hokey. also felt odd in some of the art diretion/costuming where one scene seemed like it was from the 70s (last version) and would then jump to current. also wasn't a fan of the growly mumbling... and found the alias comrade cameos distracting. this one didn't work for me- even if I can appreciate some of the flim-making in it.

Watched a few over the last week.  

Some Like it Hot - still cracks me up.  Love the scene in train with Lemmon and Monroe.  I love Wilder's movies, and need to catch up more with his filmography.  

Lost in America -  I was on board for the beginning, but it took a dip for me shortly after that.  Still good, but I wasn't laughing quite as much as during the bed and getting fired scenes.  

Eighth Grade - really good, but probably a little too real for me, so I did get a little irritated.  Too real as far as how she talked, which just makes me cringe being around it all day and hoping my kid doesn't talk like that.  Great father/daughter dynamic that was quite touching.  

Have a few others in my pile.  Kids and wife are away, so should get to at least one more tonight.  

In Like Flynn

Interesting biopic about Errol Flynn. Done by some Australian director and the movie focuses on Flynn’s pre-Hollywood supposed real swashbuckling days. It’s kind of weird and somewhat fragmented imo. 3/5

I turned off book smart after the unisex high school bathroom scene.  It may be a good flick I just had to make the doosh chills go away.

It is with great joy and wonder that I present to you a new Looney Tunes short - a teaser that promises a new slate of Warner Brothers cartoons...

"Warner Bros. explains that each season of Looney Tunes Cartoons will offer 1,000 glorious minutes (in more than 200 shorts) of all-new Looney Tunes animation that will be distributed across multiple platforms, like digital, mobile, and broadcast. The shorts will feature cartoon icons like Bugs, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig and other marquee Looney Tunes characters will be featured in their classic pairings."

It is with great joy and wonder that I present to you a new Looney Tunes short - a teaser that promises a new slate of Warner Brothers cartoons...

"Warner Bros. explains that each season of Looney Tunes Cartoons will offer 1,000 glorious minutes (in more than 200 shorts) of all-new Looney Tunes animation that will be distributed across multiple platforms, like digital, mobile, and broadcast. The shorts will feature cartoon icons like Bugs, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig and other marquee Looney Tunes characters will be featured in their classic pairings."
Aren't they concerned that kids will start blowing up rabbits and/or white men with sticks of Dynamite?

I expected WB to be more woke in 2019. Bugs isn't even dressed in drag anymore!

Aren't they concerned that kids will start blowing up rabbits and/or white men with sticks of Dynamite?

I expected WB to be more woke in 2019. Bugs isn't even dressed in drag anymore!

Edited 11 minutes ago by Andy Dufresne
they had some recent new releases when my kids were younger (5-10 years ago). I remember one with daffy and porky where one of them is on trial- the judge asks porky why he isn't wearing pants. .. you mighta had to be there... but it was funny. 

Watched a few over the last week.  

Some Like it Hot - still cracks me up.  Love the scene in train with Lemmon and Monroe.  I love Wilder's movies, and need to catch up more with his filmography.  
Wilder is absolutely the best imo. His movies are always a load of fun. 

My rough ranking of what I’ve seen would be 

Tier 1: The Apartment, Double Indemnity, Sunset Blvd, Some Like It Hot

Tier 2: Ace in the Hole, Sabrina, Witness for the Prosecution 

Tier 3: The Lost Weekend, Stalag 17, Sabrina

Tier 4: Irma La Douce. A Foreign Affair, Love in the Afternoon, 5 Graves to Cairo, The Fortune Cookie, The Major and the Minor

His tier 4 movies would be tier 2 movies for like 99% of all film makers. And his tier 1 movies are possibly the best noir, best comedy, best romantic comedy and the best movie about movies ever made. 

Which ones are you looking to checkout?

Tier 4: Irma La Douce. A Foreign Affair, Love in the Afternoon, 5 Graves to Cairo, The Fortune Cookie, The Major and the Minor

His tier 4 movies would be tier 2 movies for like 99% of all film makers. And his tier 1 movies are possibly the best noir, best comedy, best romantic comedy and the best movie about movies ever made. 

Not sure, but usually my list gets narrowed down naturally by what the library has on bluray.  

I remember not liking The Apartment nearly as much as others, but I do want to revisit that one.  I think Stalag was the main one that I felt like I should watch, then I would see what the library has after that.  

I know we tried before, but I wish we could get some sort of movie club that could keep going.  Its hard with everyone's different schedules, viewing habits, and tastes though.  

I know we tried before, but I wish we could get some sort of movie club that could keep going.  Its hard with everyone's different schedules, viewing habits, and tastes though.  
I'd try to participate. Can't guarantee that I'd watch ever single one due to time considerations. It'd be nice to have a focus though, instead of trying to remember all the recommendations that pop up in this thread. I'd be fine if it was an oldies only one - like stuff pre-1960 or something.

I'd try to participate. Can't guarantee that I'd watch ever single one due to time considerations. It'd be nice to have a focus though, instead of trying to remember all the recommendations that pop up in this thread. I'd be fine if it was an oldies only one - like stuff pre-1960 or something.
I have 400+ dvd movies, many are pre 1970.  Bunch of them from the 30's, 40's and 50's

Not one that he directed (directed by his mentor, Lubitsch), but I’ll give Ninotchka a mention as worth a watch as one that he co-wrote. Really the movie that launched his career.

Not one that he directed (directed by his mentor, Lubitsch), but I’ll give Ninotchka a mention as worth a watch as one that he co-wrote. Really the movie that launched his career.
One of the smartest romantic comedies, it's a great recommendation

Yeah I would love that. 

I know options on older movies are limited but we could always base it on something TCM is showing 

Yeah I would love that. 

I know options on older movies are limited but we could always base it on something TCM is showing 
That is a possibility.  It doesn't have to be all old movies either.  Couple random thoughts I had: 

1.  A double feature suggested by someone that is thrown out every 2-3 weeks.  Wide variety here- same director, year, theme, DP, whatever.  

2.  Director of the month.  Talk in general about them, maybe have a goal of watching something you haven't seen by them yet?  

That is a possibility.  It doesn't have to be all old movies either.  Couple random thoughts I had: 

1.  A double feature suggested by someone that is thrown out every 2-3 weeks.  Wide variety here- same director, year, theme, DP, whatever.  

2.  Director of the month.  Talk in general about them, maybe have a goal of watching something you haven't seen by them yet?  
Those are good ideas. I always thoight about something that was like, "If you liked  _____ then you will like____.". Connect more modern movies with older movies that have a similar essence.

James Bond, Noth by Northwest

Mad Men, The Apartment

Those are good ideas. I always thoight about something that was like, "If you liked  _____ then you will like____.". Connect more modern movies with older movies that have a similar essence.

James Bond, Noth by Northwest

Mad Men, The Apartment
Do you listen to The Next Picture Show podcast?

They do this to a point ( I think they changed their format, but there are a lot of back episodes) - one week talk about an older movie, then the next week the newer one it ties in to.  Examples:  Annihilation/Stalker, Phantom Thread/Rebecca, I Tonya/To Die For, Ready Player One/Tron, etc, etc.  

Do you listen to The Next Picture Show podcast?

They do this to a point ( I think they changed their format, but there are a lot of back episodes) - one week talk about an older movie, then the next week the newer one it ties in to.  Examples:  Annihilation/Stalker, Phantom Thread/Rebecca, I Tonya/To Die For, Ready Player One/Tron, etc, etc.  
Have not, sounds interesting 

Users who are viewing this thread