What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (3 Viewers)

Finally watched the Extended Version (251 minutes) of Once Upon A Time In America, over a couple nights.

The added scenes actually added some good info, though the picture quality on them was obviously poor (they said it was the only prints they could come up with that had these scenes). 

If you a re a fan of the film, I recommend watching this version. It is also an absurdly cheap blu ray on Amazon right now.

I will repeat myself here by saying that Morricone's soundtrack for this film is the greatest in the history of film.

Vox Lux - skip it

The beginning is truly shocking and caused me to initially think there might be something here. But then it's just a typical "fame ain't what it seems" stuff.

Finally watched the Extended Version (251 minutes) of Once Upon A Time In America, over a couple nights.

The added scenes actually added some good info, though the picture quality on them was obviously poor (they said it was the only prints they could come up with that had these scenes). 

If you a re a fan of the film, I recommend watching this version. It is also an absurdly cheap blu ray on Amazon right now.

I will repeat myself here by saying that Morricone's soundtrack for this film is the greatest in the history of film.
I remember thinking the regular version felt too long. I think it was already the 3rd or 4th longest movie I've ever seen. 

Watching " War of the worlds "

Found thus trivia item on IMDB.

"After her actions in the movie, Dakota Fanning's character was voted 'most useless thing tohave in an apocalypse ' by MTV movie awards

Watching Charlie Chaplin’s “The Kid” on TCM. The remastering on this version is incredible; I haven’t seen this version before. It makes something from 1921 look like it was filmed with HD cameras.

Watched US yesterday

I thought it was good, but the ending either didn't make much sense or it went over my head.

Nyong'o was great in it.

Second only to The Great Dictator for me in the Chaplin oeuvre.
Tough ranking those two with Modern Times, City Lights and Gold Rush. Pretty incredible set of films- especially considering he starred, directed, wrote, did all his stunts. Although (Great Dictator aside) tying this into the movie talk about sequels, could his movies all be considered “sequels”? The scenarios are very different but it’s the same character every time. 

Not sure if there is a thread but

Toy Story 4 B. Some funny bits,  but it was going nowhere until Duke Kaboom (Keanu Reeves) showed up. He was ####### hilarious. 

Would be  an OK ending but they left wiggle room for another movie

Speaking of old "classics", I finally watched The Lion In Winter.

What an awful mess. Hepburn was great but O'Toole overacted badly. 

It was like Virginia Woolf with a royal setting (if you like that, you might like this).

A bunch of awful, miserable characters screaming at each other for 2+ hours.

Speaking of old "classics", I finally watched The Lion In Winter.

What an awful mess. Hepburn was great but O'Toole overacted badly. 

It was like Virginia Woolf with a royal setting (if you like that, you might like this).

A bunch of awful, miserable characters screaming at each other for 2+ hours.
Huh. Love this one and love the performances all the way around.

ALERT: Face in the Crowd on TCM in an hour (4pm)

In addition, Ana Duvernay has been picking the movies for TCM's The Essentials lately (Sat, 8pm) and has chosen a Gullah movie - Daughters of the Dust (1991) - i been wanting to see for tonite

So I launched a youtube channel a couple of days ago called 10 Minute Classics where I take classic movies, mostly horror at the moment, and edit them down to an easily digestible 10 minutes. Kinda pandering to the short attention span crowd. Really enjoying the process so far since I'm watching movies I haven't seen or haven't seen in years. So far I've released House on Haunted Hill, The Brain that Wouldn't Die, White Zombie, Carnival of Souls and Dementia 13. I have a bunch finished and hope to release 1 a day. Currently watching Vincent Price's Last Man on Earth. All public domain. Not sure how this will work with drama or thrillers but I'll get to it. Set up a twitter page too if anyone is interested. Like and subscribes welcome! Interested what you film buffs think of the idea.

In addition, Ana Duvernay has been picking the movies for TCM's The Essentials lately (Sat, 8pm) and has chosen a Gullah movie - Daughters of the Dust (1991) - i been wanting to see for tonite
She’s done a good job picking movies they don’t usually air on TCM. A Face in the Crowd is a movie I would love to do for the movie club here. 

Ordinary People.

Pantheon performance by Hutton.  Sutherland's performance was oscar-worthy too.

Can really tell Robin Williams took a lot from Judd Hirsch for Good Will Hunting performance.

I had never seen this one before despite having seen most best pic winners.  Looked like a dated soapish type movie.

It is a bit dated and a bit after school special at times but their is also so much to like.

The Sutherland scenes when he is daydreaming of times gone by are really effecting.

Young Elizabeth Mcgovern.  😍

The last scene between Sutherland and Moore is an all-timer.

Props to Redford.  This a classic along with A River Runs Through It.

Ordinary People.

Pantheon performance by Hutton.  Sutherland's performance was oscar-worthy too.

Can really tell Robin Williams took a lot from Judd Hirsch for Good Will Hunting performance.

I had never seen this one before despite having seen most best pic winners.  Looked like a dated soapish type movie.

It is a bit dated and a bit after school special at times but their is also so much to like.

The Sutherland scenes when he is daydreaming of times gone by are really effecting.

Young Elizabeth Mcgovern.  😍

The last scene between Sutherland and Moore is an all-timer.

Props to Redford.  This a classic along with A River Runs Through It.
Totally agree, it's one of my unexpected favorites.

The Dead Don't Die - I don't think we have a new movie thread, so I'll just put this one here. Just saw it. It is not good at all. 

Its incredibly slow. Its not funny. Its the direct opposite of subtle. Its not particularly weird. I know people LOVE Jim Jarmusch and I'm sure people will love this movie and say I'm too dumb to get what he's doing. I even considered that possibility. But I don't think so. I just think its not a very good movie and Jarmusch mailed it in.

wikkidpissah said:

Impressions from Daughters of the Dust:

- if a society is sho nuff capped, no point @ all to progress, a matriarchy makes sense, w men as beasts-of-burden/home-for-sugar, cuz they can only make trouble.

- i wish more societies were capped, real Switzerlands or set-aside monastic lands or temperate subsistence states, because they suit the contemplative or unassuming types of human for whom ambition is a curse.

- ultimately, ambition is the mandate of humanity so, while i may envy, might even join, i can't say i approve.

- it breaks my heart to wonder how humanity would be different if Africa had been arable

- takes me a longlong time to settle into non-narrative films

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked Toy Story 4 better than Toy Story 3. I thought it was well done. 
I also liked it better than 3 but i didnt love 3 so not saying that much. It ws cute and funny at times and the end was touching but i dont think it's anywhere near as good as 1 and not that close to 2 for me.

The realism of the cat was phenomenal , however.

TCM aired The Thief of Bagdad (1924) the other night and I am watching it now. It is impressive how good the movie looks both in terms of picture quality and the production value. Hell the special effects are pretty good too. It's blowing me away honestly. 

Last edited by a moderator:
TCM ALERT: for you night owls, Rififi is on at 2am and a very odd choice for a morning double-feature begins @ 7:15AM: Nosferatu and Vampyr (by CTDreyer, director of @Ilov80s beloved Joan of Arc movie) @ 9AM

Ruby Sparks

Kind of like a mashup of Eternal Sunshine and 500 Days of Summer.  Came out in 2012.

Paul Dano and Zoe Kazan.  Kazan actually wrote it.

I dug it.   They are married in real life.  Talented couple.  Geez.

TCM ALERT: for you night owls, Rififi is on at 2am and a very odd choice for a morning double-feature begins @ 7:15AM: Nosferatu and Vampyr (by CTDreyer, director of @Ilov80s beloved Joan of Arc movie) @ 9AM
Argh.  I missed this, or would have set the DVR for Rififi and Vampyr (never seen either).  Looks like Rififi available to stream.

Had both set to record. I’ve seen Nosferatu as a kid but Vampyr will be a new one for me. 

Users who are viewing this thread