What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (11 Viewers)

The update on Kanopy is that it's a game changer for me.   I got a Roku over the weekend (the app doesn't work on Sony products), and watched a couple things.    Sure it's "only" 10 movies a month, but the access to all the Great Courses is a big plus, and the Kanopy Kids is unlimited watches - so that is nice for the 4 year old.    The son and I watch Super Size Me 2 on it, and that's about what you'd expect.   I think I loaded up about 50 movies in the watchlist - quite a few Criterion movies and foreign movies.    Stuff like:  M, 8 1/2, Panther Panchali, Dogtooth, The Wind Will Carry Us got added in, along with a handful I had never heard of that looked good.   

It's free if a library or school by you supports it, and for me it will take the place of subscription services like Criterion or Mubi that I was looking at.  

TCM wraps up its September tribute to United Artists tomorrow nite w Rain Man @ 8; the greatest film noir of ALL TIME, Robert Altman's The Long Goodbye @ 10:30; Raging Bull @ 12:30 and Coming Home @ 3am

Kanopy on Roku makes me weep tears of joy.

I only played with it for about 5 minutes - is it possible to get subtitles for foreign films? I see the option in the app on my tablet but not through Roku.

Kanopy on Roku makes me weep tears of joy.

I only played with it for about 5 minutes - is it possible to get subtitles for foreign films? I see the option in the app on my tablet but not through Roku.
Oh that would suck if not, I haven't watched a foreign movie yet.  I thought there was a settings tab in your profile and again, thought I saw something about subtitles.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of the title of one of the movie pods I listen to a lot is "Ad Astra is a masterpiece".     I will chime in tomorrow after I get back, just interesting the first two reviews in here are very negative.  
Was the worst movie I’ve seen in years.  Great visuals but the movie stunk

Didn't go? Bad? Weasels?
I think it had interesting ideas, but it didn't really come together as a cohesive movie.  I ended up walking away pretty disappointed, and honestly wouldn't recommend paying to see it in the theater, as I didn't think even the visuals were enough to warrant seeing it on the big screen.  In that department a movie like Gravity was far and away better as a technical/visual movie (and I wasn't a fan of that either).    

Ad Astra is proof the Rotten Tomatoes score is rigged.  No one can possibly think that’s a great movie. Pitts acting was also quite average.
Not sure what you mean by rigged, but I think RT is one of the worst sites for people to look at for movie ratings.  It's such a dumb system.  

Metacritic has what I would expect this movie to be at:  80/100 for the critics, and 5.8/10 from the users.   Usually I lean more on the critic side, but don't think that would be the case for me here.  

Not sure what you mean by rigged, but I think RT is one of the worst sites for people to look at for movie ratings.  It's such a dumb system.  

Metacritic has what I would expect this movie to be at:  80/100 for the critics, and 5.8/10 from the users.   Usually I lean more on the critic side, but don't think that would be the case for me here.  
Critics can be bought off.  Users are giving their scores after they go see a movie.  I’ll take the overall user score on IMDb 10/10 times over a critic. Just read the critical reviews on Ad Astra.  A total joke.  The movie was horrid. Boring, slow, zero plot, and Pitt mailed it in.

Critics can be bought off.  Users are giving their scores after they go see a movie.  I’ll take the overall user score on IMDb 10/10 times over a critic. Just read the critical reviews on Ad Astra.  A total joke.  The movie was horrid. Boring, slow, zero plot, and Pitt mailed it in.
Yeah, we will agree to disagree with this one.  This movie is not the best example, but I am guessing at least 8 times out of 10 I would be closer to the critic score.   I know I have seen lists of movies with the biggest difference one way or the other of critics vs. crowd and a lot of my faves are on the critics list.  

I guess critics could be bought off? but I think Average Joe movie goer just wants 'splosions and to be constantly entertained for 2 hours that I wouldn't trust their aggregate score on much.  

Saw Empire Strikes Back last night at the Detroit Symphony's Orchestra Hall. They played the movie while the FULL (and I mean full, largest orchestra I’ve seen) played the score. It was a fantastic experience and I had forgotten how good the movie was.

Saw Empire Strikes Back last night at Symphony Hall. They played the movie while the FULL (and I mean full, largest orchestra I’ve seen) played the score. It was a fantastic experience and I had forgotten how good the movie was.
I saw this for Looney Tunes... Surprising how good the music was for those cartoons- great experience. ESB would he amazing- just being on the big screen again, let alone with full orchestra.

Audience score for Ad Astra at Rotten Tomatoes is 43%. 
Yeah, there is 0 surprise to me the big gulf in between the scores.    It is a survival/family/space movie in the vein of Interstellar, but it has the feel/pace of a Malick movie or 2001.  No doubt in my mind that more than 1/2 of the general audience checked out or was bored.  The bolded is right up my alley, but even I was checking out of the movie - mostly due to the inconsistency and voiceover.  

One of the biggest problems I had with Ad Astra was the voiceover.  Yes, I usually don't have much patience for voiceover, but especially in this movie b/c they had a perfect way for conveying that same info.  In the movie, Pitt had to submit to psych tests before and during the mission- which was just him talking to an AI program.  This was a perfect way to convey his thoughts/emotions throughout the movie, so I have zero clue why they would want to do that AND have the Malick-esque voiceover throughout the whole thing.  

Bumblebee - Okay, I guess

Too long. Looked great. The best Transformer movie, but that's not saying much. Hailee Steinfeld is really good.

Andy Dufresne said:
Bumblebee - Okay, I guess

Too long. Looked great. The best Transformer movie, but that's not saying much. Hailee Steinfeld is really good.
Some funny scenes as well. Kids ate it up as did I. 

Shaft (2019) - Enjoyed this with my Girlfriend. Both of us were entertained. Lots of SLJ swearing but I still enjoy his delivery. :wub: Sasha.

The Rover - Watched this last night. Its from 2014. Set in Australia, its a post-apocalyptic revenge-type movie. Not a fast paced action film like Mad Max, though. More paced like No Country. 

I really enjoyed it. Guy Pearce and Robert Pattinson both did a great job. If you are in the mood for a bleak, violent, post-apocalyptic movie - this is for you.

The Rover - Watched this last night. Its from 2014. Set in Australia, its a post-apocalyptic revenge-type movie. Not a fast paced action film like Mad Max, though. More paced like No Country. 

I really enjoyed it. Guy Pearce and Robert Pattinson both did a great job. If you are in the mood for a bleak, violent, post-apocalyptic movie - this is for you.
Loved when Pattinson is singing "Pretty girl rock" 

I went to see Ad Astra yesterday.  Just bad.  There were certain things about this movie that made me angry.  Brad Pitt was decent enough but this movie is just not good
I liked the first half but really fell apart after the moon IMHO.

Hustlers was fantastic. Fun, funny and sexy. J Lo is unreal for 30 yet alone 50. The first 10 minutes provide you with some jaw dropping J Lo moments. It reminded me of the Brad Pitt roof scene in OUATIH. It’s a shame they never had kids together, might have made the first ever perfect human. 

Don't Look Now - uh...what?

I suppose this was a thriller in the early 70's. But in 2019 I have no idea what I watched.

Although seeing Julie Christie naked makes it worth seeing Donald Sutherland naked. She's a beauty.

Don't Look Now - uh...what?

I suppose this was a thriller in the early 70's. But in 2019 I have no idea what I watched.

Although seeing Julie Christie naked makes it worth seeing Donald Sutherland naked. She's a beauty.
On the opposite end, Night of the Demon/Curse of the Demon (titles vary) is from 58 and holds up pretty well. If you are looking for an older horror flick, this is a solid choice. 

Didn’t hate Ad Astra, but didn’t love it.  It was definitely missing something, and had some bad astrophysics in it.  And I didn’t like the ending.  Thought Pitt was good though.  Interstellar was much better.

6/10

Didn’t hate Ad Astra, but didn’t love it.  It was definitely missing something, and had some bad astrophysics in it.  And I didn’t like the ending.  Thought Pitt was good though.  Interstellar was much better.

6/10
I think I agree, and I really didn't like Interstellar either.  

Has anyone else seen Aniara? It’s a Swedish/Danish film about a ship of traveling Mars colonists. Really interesting film about the evolution/devolution of society, 4/5

Was at Target and John Wick 3 was on sale.

Firing it up now but Jesus is blue ray sound 1000times better than ####ty compressed Comcast box

Just watched Avengers Endgame.  :sleep: :sleep:

Ok, I admit I was a little tired when watching it, but 3 hours??? Almost no action?

This is a comic book movie, not psychodrama.

Fans of American Movie will enjoy this:

The local cult movie house is showing Coven, and director Mark Borchardt will be there in person discussing the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread