What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (1 Viewer)

Yankee23Fan said:
Ad Astra..... was just so boring.  Tried to be so important but.... meh. 
The scene where:

he blasts back to his ship and uses a piece of metal as a shield (was it a door or something) as he goes trough the planetary rings

was one of the worst things I've seen in a while.  

The movie had some interesting ideas, but it was about as disappointed as I have been watching a movie in quite awhile.  

I had forgotten how terribly constructed Quantum of Solace is.

There might be a decent story in it somewhere but the editing gives the viewer zero chance of following.

Edit: Finished. Terrible movie confirmed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had forgotten how terribly constructed Quantum of Solace is.

There might be a decent story in it somewhere but the editing gives the viewer zero chance of following.

Edit: Finished. Terrible movie confirmed.
I agree. It ranks among the bottom of the Bonds, along with some of the Brosnan ones.

Saw Knives Out and enjoyed it. It's a fun movie and will please any fan of the whodunnit, but I was a little less entertained than I was expecting given the reviews. 
Was decent.  Would never watch again.

Don't understand the casting.  Ana De Armas, Daniel Craig, Chris Evans and Christopher Plummer.  Like all of them but not the group I would bring together if I need to squeeze comedy out of a script.  Michael Shannon is hilarious in real life but not his screen persona.  Jaime Lee Curtis is a great choice but she was underused. 

This type of movie needs to have the comedy baked in with the cast.

Move was a bit too straight-laced.  Needed more goofiness.  

Was decent.  Would never watch again.

Don't understand the casting.  Ana De Armas, Daniel Craig, Chris Evans and Christopher Plummer.  Like all of them but not the group I would bring together if I need to squeeze comedy out of a script.  Michael Shannon is hilarious in real life but not his screen persona.  Jaime Lee Curtis is a great choice but she was underused. 

This type of movie needs to have the comedy baked in with the cast.

Move was a bit too straight-laced.  Needed more goofiness.  
Interesting. I thought Daniel Craig and Michael Shannon were really funny in it. 

Brittany runs a marathon...  Was enjoyable overall - the lead did a good job.   It wasn't great - I can't pinpoint what would have made it better - just a little flat I guess but overall was decent

Went to theatre for the first time in awhile, and saw Knives Out and A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood in the past week.  Knives Out was pretty entertaining, and found the acting and script both top-notch.  Maybe a bit over-hyped, but still happy to have watched it.  I can see why a bit divisive though.

ABDitN was okay, but weirder than I expected.  Maybe I just went in thinking it would be more of a biopic than it ended up.  Its heart and soul are in the right place though.

Used some Amazon gift cards to purchase a few blu-rays of some silent movies... the Criterion versions of Charlie Chaplin’s The Kid and The Circus, and Flicker Alley’s version of The Man Who Laughs.  I love The Kid, but have never seen The Circus and The Man Who Laughs, but both have a great reputation and I’ve heard the transfers are incredible.  Looking forward to watching these.

Once upon a time in Hollywood

Great, another alternate history revenge flick.

How do you go back to this well again?  Bizarre. 

Paths of Glory.

88 minutes.  Does not mess around.  Great ending.  Lot to digest.

9/10.  Only downgrade is due to the prisoner scenes which were not up to par with the rest of the film.

Been on a WWI kick lately.  Hopefully 1917 is good.  

WWI really does need a Band of Brothers treatment.
Obviously WW1 got overshadowed by WW2 but the time between them produced some outstanding movies if you like silent or very early talkies. I would say the 3 best are 

The Grand Illusion- French film by Renoir about a group of French soldiers captured by the Germans. It’s the best WW1 movie  and highlights the role class played in the war and how the war destroys the European cultural foundation.

The Big Parade- silent US film that might be a bit boring by today’s standards but this was really the first true massive war epic filmed. It’s the basic story of a naive US kid who enlists in the war and we follow him through Europe. It’s quite large scale and impressive.

Wings- the first best picture winner, it’s similar in story to The Big Parade but it’s focus is on pilots and the aerial battle scenes captured still today are quite thrilling.

just watch The Mountain (Hulu) with Jeff Goldblum and Tye Sherian

Not sure really what I watched, struck me as if David Lynch and Wes Anderson made a movie together  :unsure:

"1950s America. Since his mother‘s confinement to an institution, Andy has lived in the shadow of his stoic father. A family acquaintance, Dr. Wallace Fiennes, employs the introverted young man as a photographer to document an asylum tour advocating for his increasingly controversial lobotomy procedure."

For you night owls - Ingmar Bergman's classic The Seventh Seal is on TCM @ 2:45am
Always reminds me of being the only one in the theater belly laughing during the "death" scene in Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.

I was the single intersection on the Venn Diagram between Bill and Ted / Bergman that day.  I was one cigar short of doing a full Max Cady.

Paths of Glory.

9/10.  Only downgrade is due to the prisoner scenes which were not up to par with the rest of the film.

It's hard. I tried, but there is so much more horror than heroism in the conflict where technology put the rules of war thru the meat grinder. And the American part of WW1 was a little like a bullfight. When i saw my 1st one in Seville, i was surprised how tenderized (had at for a half hour by picadors & toreros to a 20-30% loss of blood before the matador ever appears) the bull was before the dance of death. The American Expeditionary Force essentially chased a German army home which had already been tenderized by four years of trench warfare.

I did find one hero trail, shortly after i took up writing again following my wife's death 20some years ago, and chased it for over a year - the story of an omnisexual Jewish gentleman named Siegfried Sassoon. If the times hadn't forced him to be the greatest war poet ever, he might have really been something. He fought the first couple of years of the Great War with enough distinction to gain the VC & gallant nickname Mad Jack, then walked off the line and sent a letter of resignation, indicting the incompetence of Great Britain's pursuit of the war, to Command (copies to the newspapers).

Sassoon's great friend Robert Graves (estimable poet himself, writer of I, Claudius and someone i met in Majorca in the early 70s, which is how i first heard of all this) got his court martial changed to a medical board upon his fitness and Sass was sent to war history's first shellshock institute, Craiglockhart, in Scotland to "recover" and save the British military the embarrassment of executing an upperclassmen. There he was introduced to an immensely talented & conscientious doctor, WHRRivers (probably 2nd only to Freud in the development of The Talking Cure) and a young recovering soldier, Wilfred Owen, who he seduced into the world of war poetry before he was "cured" and sent back to die the week before the Armistice, leaving the most heartbreaking oeuvre since Keats behind.

The story had everything - the modern world's transition from Gilded Age to Guilty Age, class & communism, humor & heroism, camaraderie & concupiscence. It seemed a play, with an attic above the set where the wars of mind & memory played out, and i was going to use my new theory that yesterday's poets are today's comics by making Sassoon, Owen and the visiting Graves hilarious & telling in the face of it all, with Dr Rivers outsmarting them into reasonable mental health in the end. Alas, i wasn't up to the task (i never am). But it's pretty much the only decent WW1 story that doesn't get stuck in the mud.

A decent-but-po-faced novelization called the Regeneration Trilogy was written of it around the turn of this century, which was then made into an even more po-faced movie which is on Prime. Sassoon's memoirs are also almost as good as his poesy.

Daywalker said:
Paths of Glory.

That last scene is one of my favorite endings to any movie.

Did some airplane movie watching 

Crazy Rich Asians- decent but not as good as expected. Constance Wu is such a zero IMO, I’m not sure why she keeps getting big lead roles. She was the worst part of Hustlers and she also limited this movie as well.

Late Night- it was fine, nothing memorable and not sure it’s whole Me Too/PC takes were very interesting or thoughtful or funny 

Booksmart- the female version of Superbad. It’s a step below that but was definitely fun, had heart and a great soundtrack. Well worth seeing imo.

Jumanji - the next level  was funnier than the first one. A good sequel. Hart had more of a chance to be Hart. The Rock was solid. 😉 A few chase scenes went on for way too long. Gillan in shorts and crop top for 60 minutes can never be a terrible thing.

JoeSteeler said:
just watch The Mountain (Hulu) with Jeff Goldblum and Tye Sherian

Not sure really what I watched, struck me as if David Lynch and Wes Anderson made a movie together  :unsure:

"1950s America. Since his mother‘s confinement to an institution, Andy has lived in the shadow of his stoic father. A family acquaintance, Dr. Wallace Fiennes, employs the introverted young man as a photographer to document an asylum tour advocating for his increasingly controversial lobotomy procedure."
wonder if this should be in the "horror" thread.  sounds gruesome.

wikkidpissah said:
It's hard. I tried, but there is so much more horror than heroism in the conflict where technology put the rules of war thru the meat grinder. And the American part of WW1 was a little like a bullfight. When i saw my 1st one in Seville, i was surprised how tenderized (had at for a half hour by picadors & toreros to a 20-30% loss of blood before the matador ever appears) the bull was before the dance of death. The American Expeditionary Force essentially chased a German army home which had already been tenderized by four years of trench warfare.

I did find one hero trail, shortly after i took up writing again following my wife's death 20some years ago, and chased it for over a year - the story of an omnisexual Jewish gentleman named Siegfried Sassoon. If the times hadn't forced him to be the greatest war poet ever, he might have really been something. He fought the first couple of years of the Great War with enough distinction to gain the VC & gallant nickname Mad Jack, then walked off the line and sent a letter of resignation, indicting the incompetence of Great Britain's pursuit of the war, to Command (copies to the newspapers).

Sassoon's great friend Robert Graves (estimable poet himself, writer of I, Claudius and someone i met in Majorca in the early 70s, which is how i first heard of all this) got his court martial changed to a medical board upon his fitness and Sass was sent to war history's first shellshock institute, Craiglockhart, in Scotland to "recover" and save the British military the embarrassment of executing an upperclassmen. There he was introduced to an immensely talented & conscientious doctor, WHRRivers (probably 2nd only to Freud in the development of The Talking Cure) and a young recovering soldier, Wilfred Owen, who he seduced into the world of war poetry before he was "cured" and sent back to die the week before the Armistice, leaving the most heartbreaking oeuvre since Keats behind.

The story had everything - the modern world's transition from Gilded Age to Guilty Age, class & communism, humor & heroism, camaraderie & concupiscence. It seemed a play, with an attic above the set where the wars of mind & memory played out, and i was going to use my new theory that yesterday's poets are today's comics by making Sassoon, Owen and the visiting Graves hilarious & telling in the face of it all, with Dr Rivers outsmarting them into reasonable mental health in the end. Alas, i wasn't up to the task (i never am). But it's pretty much the only decent WW1 story that doesn't get stuck in the mud.

A decent-but-po-faced novelization called the Regeneration Trilogy was written of it around the turn of this century, which was then made into an even more po-faced movie which is on Prime. Sassoon's memoirs are also almost as good as his poesy.
I like reading your posts.  always interesting.

Jumanji - the next level  was funnier than the first one. A good sequel. Hart had more of a chance to be Hart. The Rock was solid. 😉 A few chase scenes went on for way too long. Gillan in shorts and crop top for 60 minutes can never be a terrible thing.
See I thought Dwayne was the weak part of the movie. His DeVito was kind of annoying at times. Hart was great. And Gillan is smoking hot.  

See I thought Dwayne was the weak part of the movie. His DeVito was kind of annoying at times. Hart was great. And Gillan is smoking hot.  
Good point. His devito accent was terrible.  The physical comedy was pretty good I thought but now that you mention the voice I have to agree. 

I think awkwafina weak as well.

Watched Ad Astra today. Definitely can see folks not liking the pace of the film, but it’s not supposed to be an action movie. Felt kind of like some kind of a wannabe Apocalypse Now/Heart of Darkness in space, but it’s not in the same universe (pun intended). Meh 3/5

The Farewell- highly recommend, great family movie that is funny, warm, touching, sad- really hits on all the emotions that come with kin. I also thought it raised a really interesting question that we don’t usually give any thought because it seems obvious but to people of Asian cultures, may seem equally obvious yet have the opposite answer. 

it's mine, but i don't much care for his work
I’m having the same issue. I’ve only seen 3: 7th Seal, Autumn Sonata and Fanny & Alexander. So far, I’m pretty meh on his work. My reaction to all 3 was the same: I liked it but it didn’t seem like genius or technically amazing and it didn’t grab my attention. Nice films that I am glad I saw but probably won’t ever go back to. Not sure what is is but I’m not seeing the Bergman genius. I have Scenes from a Marriage, Persona and Wild Strawberries on the DVR and I guess I will watch them eventually but I’m not expecting much.

Update: Watched Persona instead of the snoozer Eagles-Hawks. The first 30 minutes had me riveted but it just never went anywhere. This was by far the most impressive I’ve seen yet but also the most puzzling.

Mother!

I rarely regret watching a movie, but this was torture - and I say that as an Arronofsky fanboy. If you've seen enough horror films - especially by Italian master Dario Argento - the unifying theme is how frustratingly stupid the protagonists are. Like, the killer has his backed turned to you and you could crush his skull with a rock, but no, run away! Anyway, this movie makes some sense if you realize it's all one long filmed nightmare. But I urge you to avoid it. Blech.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

I know that people treat every Star War as this perfect thing that gets ruined by the new movies. I did love these films as a kid, but I do like a lot of the new ones despite all the whining - especially episodes 7,8, and 9. Daisey Ridley is wonderful, and she carries these movies. The innate problem of making a new Star War is it's a nearly impossible task. 

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

I know that people treat every Star War as this perfect thing that gets ruined by the new movies. I did love these films as a kid, but I do like a lot of the new ones despite all the whining - especially episodes 7,8, and 9. Daisey Ridley is wonderful, and she carries these movies. The innate problem of making a new Star War is it's a nearly impossible task. 
And the reality is that the original trilogy are pretty hokey, in terms of writing and hammill. I think it's a testament to just how bad the next trilogy was that people ended up being so sensitive. Like you, I completely enjoyed this last one.

And the reality is that the original trilogy are pretty hokey, in terms of writing and hammill. I think it's a testament to just how bad the next trilogy was that people ended up being so sensitive. Like you, I completely enjoyed this last one.
Exactly. Rogue One seemed to receive tepid reviews, but I thought it was one of the best SW ever. 

Users who are viewing this thread