What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (2 Viewers)

1917 is an incredible feat and well worth the trip to the theater or imax.
Thinking about seeing this on my next weekday off.  Became more interested when I heard it was a lot of long takes with editing cheats to make it seem like a single shot.  Is that right? 

Thinking about seeing this on my next weekday off.  Became more interested when I heard it was a lot of long takes with editing cheats to make it seem like a single shot.  Is that right? 
It’s not a lot of long takes, it’s just one take. Of course there are cheats but they are hard to spot. It’s as seamless as one can imagine.I have no idea how they did it, incredible to look at. I would be shocked if anyone but Deakins winning the cinematography Oscar. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s not a lot of long takes, it’s just one take. Of course there are cheats but they are hard to spot. It’s as seamless as one can imagine.I have no idea how they did it, incredible to look at. I would be shocked if anyone but Deakins winning the cinematography Oscar. 
I think the editors should win, if anybody.

But it's definitely worth seeing big. And while there are clear breaks, the idea of the timeline being continuous is interesting to me and plays out really well.

I think the editors should win, if anybody.

But it's definitely worth seeing big. And while there are clear breaks, the idea of the timeline being continuous is interesting to me and plays out really well.
Good point. Some of those shots were incredible- the waterfall scene was crazy good. 

Son's a teenager, and we took off the restrictions for R movies and M games (with discretion), and he's been playing a horror game that has some of the main horror baddies in it, so we have been slowly going through the beginnings of some of the franchises.  Last night we watched the original Halloween.  I have been loving the unprompted discussions this has been bringing up.  He said he thought Halloween was more tense than NoES, but Freddy's kills were better.  He noticed that Carpenter directed and scored the movie so we talked about that and the budgets.   There was some shot of the girls walking and he commented that he liked the way that shot looked, so we talked a little about camera angles and movement.   Fun night in all.   He got the new Halloween sequel for Christmas so we watched this first, and I think he said he is going to watch the 80s sequel first then watch the new one.   Next up we are going to jump forward and watch Scream . He wanted to start with that, but I suggested watching a couple older ones first for a little context.  :popcorn: .    

So he has done Chucky, Micheal, Freddy, and Jason.    Now I need to figure out where to start with some zombies.  

KarmaPolice said:
Son's a teenager, and we took off the restrictions for R movies and M games (with discretion), and he's been playing a horror game that has some of the main horror baddies in it, so we have been slowly going through the beginnings of some of the franchises.  Last night we watched the original Halloween.  I have been loving the unprompted discussions this has been bringing up.  He said he thought Halloween was more tense than NoES, but Freddy's kills were better.  He noticed that Carpenter directed and scored the movie so we talked about that and the budgets.   There was some shot of the girls walking and he commented that he liked the way that shot looked, so we talked a little about camera angles and movement.   Fun night in all.   He got the new Halloween sequel for Christmas so we watched this first, and I think he said he is going to watch the 80s sequel first then watch the new one.   Next up we are going to jump forward and watch Scream . He wanted to start with that, but I suggested watching a couple older ones first for a little context.  :popcorn: .    

So he has done Chucky, Micheal, Freddy, and Jason.    Now I need to figure out where to start with some zombies.  
Return of the living dead.  Start off with a little humor.

Marriage Story

VERY good movie, but damn was it a kick to the nuts.  I had zero clue what I was getting into besides who was in it, but this is a heavy drama that really nails the festering anger and resentment of a marriage on the down slide.  The brilliant thing is that it had all that, but I still left feeling positive about the characters.  Highly recommended, but prepare for emotions.  There were a couple scenes that seemed out of place and want to rewatch this soon, but initial take is 8/10.
Fantastic movie. I can see why it’s got a shot at a lot of Oscars. It walks a fine line as it manages to be raw and devastating but still be funny and warm. 

Uncut Gems

This movie deserves all the critical praise it's receiving. Definitely intense and frenetic, so be well prepared for that. Just an awesome experience. A24 is making most of the best movies I've seen over the last handful of years. 

Wild at Heart & Lost Highway

Had the rare treat of seeing a David Lynch double feature on the big screen last night. Hadn't seen either film in several years, so both were very fresh for me. While Lost Highway is up there with Mulholland Drive as one of the greatest films of the modern era, Wild at Heart does not hold up at all. I know it's cool for the hipsters to love Nic Cage, but he is ####ing AWFUL. Cage is doing a bad Elvis impersonation throughout the film. Aside from some weird chuckles and mannerisms from Cage that were funny, the guy is a terrible actor - just bad. Laura Dern and Willem DaFoe are both solid. And yet, Wild at Heart is a disjointed, amateurish film. Lost Highway is far better. Scary, confusing, and with a circular story arc that works well, it's a great film with a fantastic soundtrack. 

Wild at Heart & Lost Highway

Had the rare treat of seeing a David Lynch double feature on the big screen last night. Hadn't seen either film in several years, so both were very fresh for me. While Lost Highway is up there with Mulholland Drive as one of the greatest films of the modern era, Wild at Heart does not hold up at all. I know it's cool for the hipsters to love Nic Cage, but he is ####ing AWFUL. Cage is doing a bad Elvis impersonation throughout the film. Aside from some weird chuckles and mannerisms from Cage that were funny, the guy is a terrible actor - just bad. Laura Dern and Willem DaFoe are both solid. And yet, Wild at Heart is a disjointed, amateurish film. Lost Highway is far better. Scary, confusing, and with a circular story arc that works well, it's a great film with a fantastic soundtrack. 
I remember liking Wild At Heart.

I just looked at Lost Highway and the reviews seem to be all either 5 stars or 1 star. Hmmmm.

Saw Knives Out and enjoyed it. It's a fun movie and will please any fan of the whodunnit, but I was a little less entertained than I was expecting given the reviews. 

Was decent.  Would never watch again.

Don't understand the casting.  Ana De Armas, Daniel Craig, Chris Evans and Christopher Plummer.  Like all of them but not the group I would bring together if I need to squeeze comedy out of a script.  Michael Shannon is hilarious in real life but not his screen persona.  Jaime Lee Curtis is a great choice but she was underused. 

This type of movie needs to have the comedy baked in with the cast.

Move was a bit too straight-laced.  Needed more goofiness.  
I think I hyped it too much and was a little disappointed.  It seemed to drag on during certain points and like Daywalker mentions it needed just a little something more comedy wise.  It was good but seemed like it was missing something to me. 

I think I hyped it too much and was a little disappointed.  In seemed to drag on during certain points and like Daywalker mentions it needed just a little something more comedy wise.  It was good but seemed like it was missing something to me. 
I am surprised it got so much award love including Best Picture. I have it 10th on my ranking of best movies of the year.

Jojo Rabbit was great. Pretty full theater and we were all laughing our asses off. I can see how it’s not for everyone. There are major tonal shifts but I thought the comedy landed, the drama worked and the positive message came through. I think I have it 2nd or 3rd for 2019 movies. 

Last night I had a blast watching Scream with the son.   It's still one of my favorite horror movies, and he seemed to really enjoy it as well, and is planning to watch the rest of the series soon.  Next up for horror/R rated movies that I had on my mental list:

The Ring/Blair Witch/Paranormal Activity - I think he is a still green enough to be gullible and get caught up in the "realness" of the last 2 on the list and they will freak him out.  

Alien/Aliens

Die Hard

Saving Private Ryan - he really seems to like history stuff, loved Dunkirk, and I am trying to think of other war movies that will suck him in.  

The Thing

Final Destination - he made a comment about Freddy's kills being more "creative", and I thought he would have a blast with this franchise that I go to bat more for that I maybe should - I think 1, 2, and 5 were very solid horror movies.  

28 Days Later - he's seen World War Z, and I don't think I can go right to slow zombies quite yet.  

More and more, I just wish he thought my father/son movie podcast idea was as good as I did.  :sadbanana:

Last night I had a blast watching Scream with the son.   It's still one of my favorite horror movies, and he seemed to really enjoy it as well, and is planning to watch the rest of the series soon.  Next up for horror/R rated movies that I had on my mental list:

The Ring/Blair Witch/Paranormal Activity - I think he is a still green enough to be gullible and get caught up in the "realness" of the last 2 on the list and they will freak him out.  

Alien/Aliens

Die Hard

Saving Private Ryan - he really seems to like history stuff, loved Dunkirk, and I am trying to think of other war movies that will suck him in.  

The Thing

Final Destination - he made a comment about Freddy's kills being more "creative", and I thought he would have a blast with this franchise that I go to bat more for that I maybe should - I think 1, 2, and 5 were very solid horror movies.  

28 Days Later - he's seen World War Z, and I don't think I can go right to slow zombies quite yet.  

More and more, I just wish he thought my father/son movie podcast idea was as good as I did.  :sadbanana:
Did it turn out he had seen enough slasher flicks to "get" Scream? I am sure it's really entertaining even without much context but obviously there is a bit more subversiveness to it. 

Looking at the box office results, reviews and early Oscar odds and it seems like 2019 might end up being a throwback year where we get big productions with big stars and big box office returns on serious, movies for adults.  Joker, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Ford v Ferrari, The Irishman, Hustlers and potential with JoJo Rabbit, Knives Out, 1917, Uncut Gems. It might be a good sign for the future of movies. 
For once it turned out I was spot on. 

Glory

We Were Soldiers

Valkyrie

Band of Brothers

Judgement at Nuremberg (Maybe. Might be better seen after something like Schindler's List)

Gettysburg

Black Hawk Down

Glory

We Were Soldiers

Valkyrie

Band of Brothers

Judgement at Nuremberg (Maybe. Might be better seen after something like Schindler's List)

Gettysburg

Black Hawk Down
Band of Brothers is the best choice probably. I’m not sure I would really call JaN a war movie- more of a courtroom drama. 

Very good war suggestions.  He got Band of Brothers from Grandma for Christmas, and I know Blackhawk Down is in our NF queue, so I am guessing those plus Private Ryan is where we start.  

Ilov80s said:
Jojo Rabbit was great. Pretty full theater and we were all laughing our asses off. I can see how it’s not for everyone. There are major tonal shifts but I thought the comedy landed, the drama worked and the positive message came through. I think I have it 2nd or 3rd for 2019 movies. 
Watched Jojo Rabbit tonight. Agree that it was great — I’m a bit behind on 2019 movies, but moves to the top of what I’ve seen.

Between Jojo Rabbit and What We Do in the Shadows, Taika Waititi may be moving onto my list of must watches.

Watched Jojo Rabbit tonight. Agree that it was great — I’m a bit behind on 2019 movies, but moves to the top of what I’ve seen.

Between Jojo Rabbit and What We Do in the Shadows, Taika Waititi may be moving onto my list of must watches.
I've been behind on movies for most of the teens. I got into watching more TV, reading and watching older movies. For whatever reason, I really got sucked back in this year though. Maybe it was just how much fun I had at the theater watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Here's my ranking of what I've seen. Just to be clear, I have no interest in comic book movies or Star Wars and action isn't my favorite genre (though I do want to catch up on the John Wick movies). 

1. Once Upon a Time In Hollywood...
  2. The Irishman
  3. Jojo Rabbit 
  4. Parasite
  5. Marriage Story
  6. Ford vs Ferrari
  7. Uncut Gems
  8. Booksmart
  9. The Farewell
  10. 1917
  11. Hustlers
  12. The Two Popes
  13. Knives Out 
  14. Joker
  15. Judy
  16. Late Night
The top 14 there are all good to great IMO and I would recommend them to people. 

I've been behind on movies for most of the aughts. I got into watching more TV, reading and watching older movies. For whatever reason, I really got sucked back in this year though. Maybe it was just how much fun I had at the theater watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Here's my ranking of what I've seen. Just to be clear, I have no interesting comic book movies or Star Wars and action isn't my favorite genre (though I do want to catch up on the John Wick movies). 

2. The Irishman
  3. Jojo Rabbit 
  4. Parasite
  5. Marriage Story
  6. Ford vs Ferrari
  7. Uncut Gems
  8. Booksmart
  9. The Farewell
  10. 1917
  11. Hustlers
  12. The Two Popes
  13. Knives Out 
  14. Joker
  15. Judy
  16. Late Night
The top 14 there are all good to great IMO and I would recommend them to people. 
I’ve only seen your 2, 3, and 13 so far, so I’ve got my work cut out for me. My main problem is a toddler that keeps me at home (which I think is why I’ve watched a lot of TCM lately). But at least there’s some stuff streaming that I need to make time for.

ETA: I did see Frozen 2 and Toy Story 4 though, so I’ve got that going for me.

Ilov80s said:
Did it turn out he had seen enough slasher flicks to "get" Scream? I am sure it's really entertaining even without much context but obviously there is a bit more subversiveness to it. 
Yes/No.   He's seen the biggies and we've talked a little about directors and themes of slashers so he got some of the stuff like the "rules" and how the movie subverts them a bit (we talked about Sydney surviving despite doing the hibbity dibbity and JLC in Halloween surviving despite smoking the reefer in her friend's car), in jokes like "Wes Carpenter" and the janitor in a Freddy sweater, etc..    But there is stuff that he doesn't have context for like Drew getting it quick, other horror movies that used the phone calls, etc..  

He said so far his favorite horror movies he has seen are Halloween and Scream, so I feel like I am doing something right.... 

I've been behind on movies for most of the teens. I got into watching more TV, reading and watching older movies. For whatever reason, I really got sucked back in this year though. Maybe it was just how much fun I had at the theater watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Here's my ranking of what I've seen. Just to be clear, I have no interest in comic book movies or Star Wars and action isn't my favorite genre (though I do want to catch up on the John Wick movies). 

2. The Irishman
  3. Jojo Rabbit 
  4. Parasite
  5. Marriage Story
  6. Ford vs Ferrari
  7. Uncut Gems
  8. Booksmart
  9. The Farewell
  10. 1917
  11. Hustlers
  12. The Two Popes
  13. Knives Out 
  14. Joker
  15. Judy
  16. Late Night
I am way behind on this year, but it really does look like a strong year.  After looking at lists, I think 2017 was great, but that could be just confirmation bias of my theory that the 7s of the last couple decades have been the best years for movies.   1997 and 2007 are my favorite years of their decades too.  

I am way behind on this year, but it really does look like a strong year.  After looking at lists, I think 2017 was great, but that could be just confirmation bias of my theory that the 7s of the last couple decades have been the best years for movies.   1997 and 2007 are my favorite years of their decades too.  
2017 was really good. Get Out, Lady Bird, Call Me By Your Name, Dunkirk, The Shape of Water, Blade Runner 2049, Florida Project, Baby Driver and Phantom Thread were all very good to great. I've heard good things about Wind River, I Tonya and First Reformed as well. I didn't like Three Billboards but many did. Plus there were some popular movies that were well received: Wonder Woman, Paddington 2, Logan, John Wick 2. 

KarmaPolice said:
Very good war suggestions.  He got Band of Brothers from Grandma for Christmas, and I know Blackhawk Down is in our NF queue, so I am guessing those plus Private Ryan is where we start.  
Has he seen The Great Escape? Even better if he’s seen Chicken Run.

Continued the 2019 movie quest with Parasite. That was insane, holy hell!
There are several of the award contenders I haven't seen yet (1917 chief among them), but I keep thinking there's no way I'm going to see a 2019 movie that is better than Parasite.

2. The Irishman
  3. Jojo Rabbit 
  4. Parasite
  5. Marriage Story
  6. Ford vs Ferrari
  7. Uncut Gems
  8. Booksmart
  9. The Farewell
  10. 1917
  11. Hustlers
  12. The Two Popes
  13. Knives Out 
  14. Joker
  15. Judy
  16. Late Night
You and I are usually simpatico on movies, but I disliked your #1 and #2.  :lol:   Need to see Jojo Rabbit.

There are several of the award contenders I haven't seen yet (1917 chief among them), but I keep thinking there's no way I'm going to see a 2019 movie that is better than Parasite.
Parasite is pretty much perfect movie making. 

You and I are usually simpatico on movies, but I disliked your #1 and #2.  :lol:   Need to see Jojo Rabbit.
And I absolutely loved them so we will strongly disagree there. I think they have been pretty polarizing to board members here that saw them. Jojo Rabbit is also really polarizing so you might end up hating that too. Maybe Parasite or 1917 are going to win for the reason that everyone who sees it likes it. 

I know you see some eclectic movies, any movies I didn’t list that you really liked?

so, do you guys pay $15-20 bucks to stream the ones you don't screen or wait for bluerays or what?

Ok, I'm an idiot.  There are 2 theaters in the area showing some of these Oscar noms.   Really thinking about checking out Parasite this week now.  

Users who are viewing this thread