What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (3 Viewers)

Is JoJo Rabbit good for two teenage daughters....16 and 13? Meaning would they like it? 
Potentially yes. The leads of the movie are kids so it certainly could be well liked by teens. There's a lot of really dark jokes about Jews, NAZIs, WW2. etc. There is also a ton of very cute stuff. It's a satire of fanaticism and NAZIs.  Knowing about that and being able to understand the context/meaning of it is important. I think it is dependent on the knowledge, maturity and level of sensitivity your kids have. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s not a lot of long takes, it’s just one take. Of course there are cheats but they are hard to spot. It’s as seamless as one can imagine.I have no idea how they did it, incredible to look at. I would be shocked if anyone but Deakins winning the cinematography Oscar. 
Incredible to think they shot it in two days

Incredible to think they shot it in two days

On Twitter the other night, Oscar nominee Rian Johnson said this:

Last night at the PGA awards Mendes told me 1917 was ACTUALLY shot in one continuous take, if an actor flubbed a line they’d go all the way back and start again from the beginning. They paid Cumberbatch to show up every day and wait in that room at the end. He was there 6 months.  @rianjohnson  

Started watching Booksmart while the kid was napping and really like it so far.  I almost wish there were no other characters- I could just watch the two leads interact for 2 hours. 
It kept up the quality all the way though the movie.  I really loved this one.  The end of the doll scene had me crying, as did the parents and the panda.  I haven't been a fan of too many of the comedies coming out lately, and this one nailed the raunchy teen comedy.  I  think a lot of people in here would like this one.  

Here are a couple IMDB gems that I ran across on break for Booksmart:

Terrible

What is a comedy that is not funny but overtly politicised and man hating? Answer, millennial propaganda dressed as a film, desperate to be funny as well, but like the fact that its neo-liberal sock puppet makers can't do Memes, the humour falls flat and the plot paper-thin... similar to the credibility of the filmmakers behind it! Humour aside, the acting is pretty shabby, with really forced performances from the two leads, and the supporting actors. There is something odd about the way they speak, like a desperate effort to raise one's voice to drown out the silence because no one is laughing! Here's my rrccomendaotion, just save your money or buy a DVD of SuperBad, and enjoy a real coming-of-age comedy, that is - funny!

If you can't stand millennials and they're politics, you'll hate this movie.

The whole movie was just shoving political correctness down people's throats. I sat through the movie cringing the whole time. Do not go see this movie if you have any ounce of respect for yourself. It would be maybe 3 stars if it was even a little funny, but it wasn't. It is just a movie taunting anybody who doesn't agree with the left.

Just makes me think about how much has to do with it being "teenage" girls talking like this, and/or the fact that it was one of them trying to hook up with another female.  I just find people's takes on this fascinating, and feel like I was watching a different movie.  Yes, I know - this is random people on the web, but different interpretations of movies between people and talking about that is what I find interesting.  

Here are a couple IMDB gems that I ran across on break for Booksmart:

Terrible

What is a comedy that is not funny but overtly politicised and man hating? Answer, millennial propaganda dressed as a film, desperate to be funny as well, but like the fact that its neo-liberal sock puppet makers can't do Memes, the humour falls flat and the plot paper-thin... similar to the credibility of the filmmakers behind it! Humour aside, the acting is pretty shabby, with really forced performances from the two leads, and the supporting actors. There is something odd about the way they speak, like a desperate effort to raise one's voice to drown out the silence because no one is laughing! Here's my rrccomendaotion, just save your money or buy a DVD of SuperBad, and enjoy a real coming-of-age comedy, that is - funny!

If you can't stand millennials and they're politics, you'll hate this movie.

The whole movie was just shoving political correctness down people's throats. I sat through the movie cringing the whole time. Do not go see this movie if you have any ounce of respect for yourself. It would be maybe 3 stars if it was even a little funny, but it wasn't. It is just a movie taunting anybody who doesn't agree with the left.

Just makes me think about how much has to do with it being "teenage" girls talking like this, and/or the fact that it was one of them trying to hook up with another female.  I just find people's takes on this fascinating, and feel like I was watching a different movie.  Yes, I know - this is random people on the web, but different interpretations of movies between people and talking about that is what I find interesting.  
I never even thought for a second that it was political or ultra liberal. Are we still so surprised by lesbians in 2019? I mean come on.

I never even thought for a second that it was political or ultra liberal. Are we still so surprised by lesbians in 2019? I mean come on.
Yeah, that was my thought as well.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I was hoping that political correctness and millennial agenda <> just having gay people in a movie.   Just thought it was interesting that one recommended Superbad instead, and I was curious what exactly was so different about that movie besides the gender reversal?   Similar theme and crassness to the humor.  

There are several of the award contenders I haven't seen yet (1917 chief among them), but I keep thinking there's no way I'm going to see a 2019 movie that is better than Parasite.
Truth. We saw it yesterday and it was just so good. It had me thinking about it for hours afterward. Very impressed with it.

By numbers, I would assume movies about hetero males far far outnumber other types of people.  I just find it odd when a movie like this is the one that is "pushing an agenda".   

What is this Parasite movie?  Tell me more
It’s a South Korean comedy/thriller. It’s best not to know too much going in but it’s basically about a poor lower class family’s attempt to manipulate a wealthy upper class family for financial gain.

Watched Dolemite is My Name. It was ok. Obviously quite hammy but that’s the source material. The cast is great but it wasn’t quite as funny as I was hoping. I do have a basic lack of familiarity with 70s era black film so I’m sure that would have helped. 

There are several of the award contenders I haven't seen yet (1917 chief among them), but I keep thinking there's no way I'm going to see a 2019 movie that is better than Parasite.
Parasite is pretty much perfect movie making. 
Absolutely flawless movie. Bong Joon-Ho is a masterful storyteller and is an extremely skillful movie maker. Excellent world-building and originality in each of the movies that I've seen by him. So far, I have seen Parasite, Okja and Snowpiecer: haven't seen The Host yet but it's on my watchlist.  

Parasite comes in as my #1 movie for 2019 with Jojo Rabbit as a close #2.

Ok, I'm an idiot.  There are 2 theaters in the area showing some of these Oscar noms.   Really thinking about checking out Parasite this week now.  
Oh you must. Just a great movie. I don't know if you've seen the trailer (I haven't), but I hear this was marketed as a horror movie. It isn't. It's more of a psychological thriller. Best movie I saw in 2019.

Started watching Booksmart while the kid was napping and really like it so far.  I almost wish there were no other characters- I could just watch the two leads interact for 2 hours. 
I'm going to say this for everyone that likes Booksmart: it's a thinly-veiled homage to the funny Comedy Central series Broad City. Check it out...

After watching "Rise of Skywalker" decided to watch all the movies in reverse order.

last of the Jedi and Force Awakens were good. But then I had a decision, watch them in # order or how they were filmed. Decided to go with the prequels so I could end on A New Hope..

Revenge of the Sith and Attack of the Clones were so painful because of Hayden Christensen 's acting. AotC was particularly bad because of the bad love story between Padme and Anakin.

but Phantom Menace is a lot better than I remember. Other than Jar Jar Binks and Jake Lloyd, it is a pretty good movie. Liam Neeson is really good as Qui-Qon. As is Ewen McGregor. Plus it still has the great fight scene at the end.

On to the original three.

Do they have to be only WW2? Also do they have to be battle films or simply take place during that time?
Don't have to be anything, just trying to think of some he would like and keep him engaged.  Dont think he's up for a Paths of Glory type movie yet.  

Parasite is pretty much perfect movie making. 

And I absolutely loved them so we will strongly disagree there. I think they have been pretty polarizing to board members here that saw them. Jojo Rabbit is also really polarizing so you might end up hating that too. Maybe Parasite or 1917 are going to win for the reason that everyone who sees it likes it. 

I know you see some eclectic movies, any movies I didn’t list that you really liked?
I did not watch nearly as many movies in 2019 as I usually do, so I'm playing catch-up right now.  Movies I recommend not on your list:

Last Black Man in San Francisco - I know you'll be watching this one if you haven't already.

Honeyland - If you only see one documentary about a Turkish beekeeper in Macedonia this year, make it this one.  This movie has a glacial pace, so it might not be for a lot of people, but it's beautiful.

One Child Nation - Fascinating, but warning that this is an absolutely brutal watch in many spots.

The Souvenir - My #2 movie of the year behind Parasite.  Not sure if it's been discussed here, and I'd love to hear thoughts from others.  Another warning, though:  this is an incredibly bleak film from start to finish, and I haven't been able to get it out of my mind, in kind of a bad way.  The two leads, by the way, are absolutely mesmerizing.

Pain and Glory - I'm a huge Almodovar fan, but I'm a little tired of the "artist reckoning with his past" genre.  Still, a great movie with an outstanding performance by Antonio Banderas.

Movies that have been critically acclaimed that are not on your list but I don't recommend:

Monos - Hated it

High Life - For some reason, I keep seeing Claire Denis movies, because I feel like I should like them.  But I never do.  I need to stop watching them.

Transit - This is actually a very good movie IMO, but with one huge flaw that I just can't overlook.  If you see it, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Don't have to be anything, just trying to think of some he would like and keep him engaged.  Dont think he's up for a Paths of Glory type movie yet.  
There are more recent films like "A Midnight Clear" that are different kind of war film. If he's up for subtitles then a film like "Mediterreano" that is warmer and more light hearted. It's italian so I can't recall if there is any nudity. You might try "The Train" with Burt Lancaster and director John Frankenheimer. "Hope and Glory" is John Boorman that is life during the blitz. "Eye of the Needle" is another good one with Donald Sutherland. Off the top of my head, "Flight of the Phoenix" with Jimmy Stewart and Attenburrough. "Where Eagles Dare" with Client Eastwood and Richard Burton. Reaching back further might be Ridley Scott's "The Duellists". 

Movies that have been critically acclaimed that are not on your list but I don't recommend:

High Life - For some reason, I keep seeing Claire Denis movies, because I feel like I should like them.  But I never do.  I need to stop watching them.
Denis and this movie have gotten a lot of praise and I just don't get it. Such an uncomfortable movie to sit through and forgettable. Hard pass. 

I did not watch nearly as many movies in 2019 as I usually do, so I'm playing catch-up right now.  Movies I recommend not on your list:

Last Black Man in San Francisco - I know you'll be watching this one if you haven't already.

Honeyland - If you only see one documentary about a Turkish beekeeper in Macedonia this year, make it this one.  This movie has a glacial pace, so it might not be for a lot of people, but it's beautiful.

One Child Nation - Fascinating, but warning that this is an absolutely brutal watch in many spots.

The Souvenir - My #2 movie of the year behind Parasite.  Not sure if it's been discussed here, and I'd love to hear thoughts from others.  Another warning, though:  this is an incredibly bleak film from start to finish, and I haven't been able to get it out of my mind, in kind of a bad way.  The two leads, by the way, are absolutely mesmerizing.

Pain and Glory - I'm a huge Almodovar fan, but I'm a little tired of the "artist reckoning with his past" genre.  Still, a great movie with an outstanding performance by Antonio Banderas.

Monos - Hated it

Transit - This is actually a very good movie IMO, but with one huge flaw that I just can't overlook.  If you see it, you'll know what I'm talking about.
Transit, Last Black Man and The Souvenir are near the top of the movies I plan to watch soon. I think all 3 are on Prime. 

Users who are viewing this thread