What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (5 Viewers)

I would say that's not so for Succession, Trust and Taboo. Big budgets. We don't have to agree on this, but until you watch those shows, it's hard to get into a deep conversation about this. 
Succession and Taboo didn't turn my crank. Ok, but not great for me.

The Gentlemen

This is the new British Gangster movie from Guy Ritchie. I've got kind of mixed feelings on this one. While it was a fun popcorn movie with funny gangster dialogue, entertaining gangster violence and some cool gangster dudes, I left a bit unimpressed. It felt like Ritchie was trying to tap into the formula that made Lock Stock and Snatch excellent, but this one just fell short IMO. It just didn't have that lasting impression that the other two movies did. No need to catch this one in the theaters, but still worth a watch when it hits the streaming services. 

I’m on a plane and just watched Booksmart due to the good reviews here.  I agree with you guys.  Terrific movie.  The two leads were outstanding, but as I think about it more, everyone was damn well cast.  

I’m on a plane and just watched Booksmart due to the good reviews here.  I agree with you guys.  Terrific movie.  The two leads were outstanding, but as I think about it more, everyone was damn well cast.  
we saw it in the theater. i remember it as pretty funny with lots of out loud funny bits. it eventually settles down to a more conventional ending but it's still a fun ride. 

we saw it in the theater. i remember it as pretty funny with lots of out loud funny bits. it eventually settles down to a more conventional ending but it's still a fun ride. 
Agree about it later settling into being more conventional.  Still, it had enough before that to make me feel that, for this genre, it was special. And gosh, those two leads...  I’d watch them forever.

If you haven't seen the TV series "What We Do In the Shadows", it's great, and Beanie Feldstein is in a few episodes.

Of course if you haven't, watch the movie first. It's from the writer/director/Hitler of JoJo Rabbit.
I haven’t, any of this.  Thanks so much for the recommendation.  On it!

Watched "Parasite" this weekend. That was fantastic.  I went in knowing pretty little of what it was about, and was happy with that approach.  Masterful storytelling across multiple genres.

Watched Big with the kids (12 & 8), who liked it. Holds up well, but some things I noticed this time around:

Josh's (Hanks) kid friend spends a lot of time running around a NYC (and skid row, fleabag hotel NYC to boot) that has screaming and gunshots regularly occuring. 

Elizabeth Perkins character is a sleep her way to the top... chippy. I remembered her falling for joshs childish charm, not the fact that the boss likes him. granted, she comes around- but speaking of...

Pretty sure they schtupped... Regularly. And then when she realized who he was, it was just a wistful knowing grin...not a wtf have I done, can I go to jail for this, I need to take a long bath moment of ewwwww.

Watched Big with the kids (12 & 8), who liked it. Holds up well, but some things I noticed this time around:

Josh's (Hanks) kid friend spends a lot of time running around a NYC (and skid row, fleabag hotel NYC to boot) that has screaming and gunshots regularly occuring. 

Elizabeth Perkins character is a sleep her way to the top... chippy. I remembered her falling for joshs childish charm, not the fact that the boss likes him. granted, she comes around- but speaking of...

Pretty sure they schtupped... Regularly. And then when she realized who he was, it was just a wistful knowing grin...not a wtf have I done, can I go to jail for this, I need to take a long bath moment of ewwwww.
The test audiences hated the original ending which was a 13 year old Perkins being introduced as a new student in Josh’s class. 

Heard Chris Harris (fantasy football guy) do his annual top 10 movie countdown so I decided to check out his top movie for 2019: Under the Silver Lake. 

What a total crap. Might have been better than Inherent Vice but that’s not saying much.I guess I’m not into stoner movies with no point and no real logical plot whatsoever. I know they are aiming for a Big Lebowski, Altman Long Goodbye, noir thing (love all 3 of those) but this just comes off as pretentious pointlessness.

Heard Chris Harris (fantasy football guy) do his annual top 10 movie countdown so I decided to check out his top movie for 2019: Under the Silver Lake. 

What a total crap. Might have been better than Inherent Vice but that’s not saying much.I guess I’m not into stoner movies with no point and no real logical plot whatsoever. I know they are aiming for a Big Lebowski, Altman Long Goodbye, noir thing (love all 3 of those) but this just comes off as pretentious pointlessness.
GF and I both liked it  :shrug:

Started re-watchimg a bridge too far last night for the first time since seeing it in the theater. Such a great cast, but I forgot how long it is...couldn't get through it. War is hell/fubar, amiright?

Bong Joon-ho's top movies...

City of Sadness, A  1989, Hsiao-hsien Hou

Cure, 1998, Kurosawa Kiyoshi

Fargo, 1995,Joel & Ethan Coen

Housemaid, The, 1960, Kim Ki-young (IIRC, he's said this one inspired Parasite)

Psycho, 1960, Alfred Hitchcock

Raging Bull, 1980, Martin Scorsese

Touch of Evil, 1958, Orson Welles

Vengeance is Mine, 1979, Imamura Shohei

Wages of Fear, The, 1953, Henri-Georges Clouzot

Zodiac, 2007, David Fincher

Started re-watchimg a bridge too far last night for the first time since seeing it in the theater. Such a great cast, but I forgot how long it is...couldn't get through it. War is hell/fubar, amiright?
My cousin was in the first wave of canvas boats that crossed the Waal River south the 504PIR, and made it across (shown in the film-Robert Redford as Major Julian Cook)). Was KIA a week later near the German border. His remains have never been recovered.

I always watch that movie with him in mind and utter unbelief of the bravery he and his fellow troopers had.

Last edited by a moderator:
My cousin was in the first wave of canvas boats that crossed the Waal River south the 504PIR, and made it across (shown in the film-Robert Redford as Major Julian Cook)). Was KIA a week later near the German border. His remains have never been recovered.

I always watch that movie with him in mind and utter unbelief of the bravery he and his fellow troopers had.
I started reading your post as your cousin was in the movie with robert redford's group... but wow. unbelievable sacrifice- I can't imagine what he and they went through, even from the movie. but fubar seems to describe it...

Watched Knives Out last night. I enjoyed it overall, but was disappointed when I figured out whodunnit too early on. Also, I  thought Daniel Craig’s accent was turrible and I really appreciate Chis Evans’ character (Ransom) calling him out on it.  :lol:  4/5

Caught "1917" last night. Good but not great mostly. It has some great scenes in it for sure but it doesn't strike me as top Oscar worthy. Deakins' cinematography is superb (as expected) and the music used effectively without getting in the way. 

Watched Knives Out last night. I enjoyed it overall, but was disappointed when I figured out whodunnit too early on. Also, I  thought Daniel Craig’s accent was turrible and I really appreciate Chis Evans’ character (Ransom) calling him out on it.  :lol:  4/5
I think the accent being so bad was intentional. They are doing a sequel focused around Benoit Blanc himself. 

Walking Boot said:
Just screened Birds of Prey at work. It's exactly what it tries to be. It's pure popcorn, fun to watch.
Just got back from it. I didn't like it. Thought it was silly. 80% of the movie was backstory. And they kept going over and over different characters back story. 

I think its possible that the sequel could be a good movie - a female gang of anti-heroes fighting crime. But that's not what this movie was.

Turned Uncut Gems off after about an hour.  Both myself and gf thought wtf is this garbage?  75% of the time someone is yelling. 95% of the time they are dropping F-bombs.  No likeable character at all. Sandler does a good job, I suppose, but we didn't give two hoots about anyone or anything.  It was just annoying.

Turned Uncut Gems off after about an hour.  Both myself and gf thought wtf is this garbage?  75% of the time someone is yelling. 95% of the time they are dropping F-bombs.  No likeable character at all. Sandler does a good job, I suppose, but we didn't give two hoots about anyone or anything.  It was just annoying.
You aren’t alone. The Rotten Tomato Audiences really didn’t like it. Tons of reviews saying exactly what you said. The test before seeing it should be “have you ever complained because a movie had too many f bombs, too much yelling or the characters weren’t likable enough?” If you say yes than you are sure to Uncut Gem.

As a gambler, I was most annoyed by having to watch some idiot try to hit a six-team parlay. And then putting stuff like "win the opening tip" and other coinflip stuff into his parlays that he literally stakes his life on. 
He seemed have a bit of a death wish, no? Like the only real thrill to him was betting everything (literally everything) and the more complicated and risky the play, the better rush. Plus he really beloved in that magic stone.

You aren’t alone. The Rotten Tomato Audiences really didn’t like it. Tons of reviews saying exactly what you said. The test before seeing it should be “have you ever complained because a movie had too many f bombs, too much yelling or the characters weren’t likable enough?” If you say yes than you are sure to Uncut Gem.
Ya. I guess I fit that description.  Lol. 

Outland

Anyone remember this film with Sean Connery as the sheriff in space High Noon? Watching it now. I made my parents take me to see this when I was 8  :lol:  It’s not that good. 

Outland

Anyone remember this film with Sean Connery as the sheriff in space High Noon? Watching it now. I made my parents take me to see this when I was 8  :lol:  It’s not that good. 
I saw it in the theater too. And I think rewatched it a decade or more ago...and had the same realization as you. Were the special effects really bad? I can't remember what didn't work.

I vaguely remember not being into it at all (movie) and shutting it down after about 20mins, but it's very high on my "need to revisit" list.  
Really enjoyed the mockumentary, but didn’t think the show would be any good. I was wrong. Big fan of Matt Berry and the show works imo.

Outland

Connery's got a losing record when it comes to good films. Fantastic career but he's done plenty of meh to terrible films in it. Outland is meh at best.

I haven't seen it and probably won't.

But I'm with you on this. I like all kinds of films - comedy, drama, western, sci fi, romance, period pieces, horror, historical, etc.

But the one kind that I don't like are the ones with unlikable, obnoxious and/or depressing characters who I couldn't care less about. 

I haven't seen it and probably won't.

But I'm with you on this. I like all kinds of films - comedy, drama, western, sci fi, romance, period pieces, horror, historical, etc.

But the one kind that I don't like are the ones with unlikable, obnoxious and/or depressing characters who I couldn't care less about. 
I guess I don't agree with the bolded.  As long as they are interesting they can be unlikable, obnoxious, depressing all they want.   The way I am interpreting your comment would take out a decent chunk of what I would consider great movies - There Will Be Blood and Wolf of Wall Street popped into mind.  

I guess I don't agree with the bolded.  As long as they are interesting they can be unlikable, obnoxious, depressing all they want.   The way I am interpreting your comment would take out a decent chunk of what I would consider great movies - There Will Be Blood and Wolf of Wall Street popped into mind.  
An exception would be a  truly compelling or interesting setting or story - Goodfellas would be an example.

Magnolia, The Favourite, The Master, etc. are examples that would not qualify for me.

There Will Be Blood started off well, but the 2nd half spiraled into a complete mess, IMO. We'll just have to disagree on that one.

An exception would be a  truly compelling or interesting setting or story - Goodfellas would be an example.

Magnolia, The Favourite, The Master, etc. are examples that would not qualify for me.

There Will Be Blood started off well, but the 2nd half spiraled into a complete mess, IMO. We'll just have to disagree on that one.
Gotcha- so basically you hate movies by PTA.  

Users who are viewing this thread