What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (7 Viewers)

Birds of Prey - I fell asleep halfway through. The action scenes were fun and cool but my brain couldn't care less.

falguy said:
Knives Out was fine but not close to the level one would expect with the high ratings.  I'd give it a 6.5/10 maybe 7. Started slow but understandable, I guess, as they have to build the characters. Was decent after the first 45 minutes, or so but not much humour. I chuckled a few times but thought there would be more funny scenes. Ana de Armas is beautiful so there's that.  Glad I didn't bother to go see it at the theatre. 
I liked it. Although it's not the great film it's made out to be. The performances are really fun, but everything else is boilerplate mystery movie and we've seen than 100s of times. 

I liked it. Although it's not the great film it's made out to be. The performances are really fun, but everything else is boilerplate mystery movie and we've seen than 100s of times. 
I liked it fine too, just not as good as I was expecting. It was much better than the last 2 movies I tried to watch - Uncut Gems and The Last Thing He wanted. I didn't bother to finish either of those. 

I’m on a plane and decided to try Knives Out on the theory that it would be light entertainment, and how bad could it be?  Answer:  really, really bad.
My first experience seeing Anchorman was on a flight. Had to watch it at least one more time in a more suitable environment to appreciate it. 

falguy said:
Knives Out was fine but not close to the level one would expect with the high ratings.  I'd give it a 6.5/10 maybe 7. Started slow but understandable, I guess, as they have to build the characters. Was decent after the first 45 minutes, or so but not much humour. I chuckled a few times but thought there would be more funny scenes. Ana de Armas is beautiful so there's that.  Glad I didn't bother to go see it at the theatre. 
I liked it. Although it's not the great film it's made out to be. The performances are really fun, but everything else is boilerplate mystery movie and we've seen than 100s of times
Have been hoping to watch this wit the kids (12 & 8)... Still think it's in the cards.

Caught most of Fuqua’s interpretation of King Arthur. I’ve seen Clive Owen in some interesting films (e.g. Croupier) and I liked him in this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
The VVitch:

This one did just about everything that I say I wish more modern horror movies did- well shot, good acting, you get to know the characters, and it doesn't rely on assaulting your ears with noises for the cheap jump scares every few minutes.  That said, I didn't like it much at all.  I was fairly bored with it, and wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again.  4/10
I rewatched this and liked it a lot more the 2nd time (evidently I lied about that bolded part).   Maybe it was my mood that night, or maybe me liking the newer wave of horror movies that this helped usher in or the crap that I have been watching with my son, but I was really absorbed in this one last night.  It's really growing on me and would for sure give it 2-3 more points today.   

Went a back and looked at my AMC history of movies that I saw in the theater that are out now streaming/rentals.

Doctor Sleep:  Liked it although very long.  You don't have to have seen The Shining, but it helps.  7/10 stars

21 Bridges:  Color by number "cop" movie, although some of the manufactured tension was good I still found it lacking as a "good" movie.  5/10 stars

Knives Out:  I liked it for what it was - tried to watch it again and didn't find it as enjoyable - Did like James Bond's performance - 6.5/10 stars

Jumanji, The Next Level: Meh, fun "family" movie I guess.  somewhat forgettable.  The Rock is the new Ahnold. - 5.5/10 stars

Jojo Rabbit:  Absolutely loved it.  Waititi is a genius, I want to have Scarlett's children.  I cried in the theater and even more on the 2nd viewing at home 9.5/10 stars

Uncut Gems:  I went and saw this movie during the Saints/Vikings playoff game (huge Vikes fan).  Just can't watch "big games" anymore.  Of course I kept going under my coat to check the scores like a degenerate gambler - Irony?  Did enjoy the movie, thought Sandler's performance was great, as was Garnett.  7.5/10 stars

Bombshell:  Very well acted, kept my attention even if a bit preachy at some points.  7/10 stars

Like A Boss:  Utter dog ####.  Looks like it was edited by a high school A/V club.  If you saw the trailer you saw the movie.  Was embarrassed for everyone involved.  2/10 scars

Underwater:  Just didn't care.  3.5/10 stars

Bad Boys For Life:  Was better than I though it would be (not saying that much).  6.5/10 stars

The Rhythm Section:  Good if not predictable and a tad unbelievable.  Good performances from all involved.  6.5/10

The Gentlemen:  Loved it, but I always go into Richie movies expecting to love them.  Loved Colin Farrell.  9/10

Harley Quinn:  Meh.  Not for me, and I like comic book movies.  Just silly.  4/10

The Invisible Man:  Again, liked this way more than I thought I would.  7.5/10 stars

2nd viewing in the last month or so of St. Valentine's Day Massacre (67) and this movie is such a hidden gem. It is beautiful how it rides a thin line of being cheeseball fun and seriously dark drama. It would make a great pairing with The Irishman. Jason Robards as Capone is so hammy that it basically laid out the entire Al Pacino career. 

I rewatched this and liked it a lot more the 2nd time (evidently I lied about that bolded part).   Maybe it was my mood that night, or maybe me liking the newer wave of horror movies that this helped usher in or the crap that I have been watching with my son, but I was really absorbed in this one last night.  It's really growing on me and would for sure give it 2-3 more points today.   
Posted this before but...first time I thought it was ok, second time liked it a lot and third time thought it was great

Watched a couple interesting but heartbreaking docs on NF that I have been meaning to catch:  Amy and Beyond the Mat.   Amy was crushing to watch that slow spiral down of that incredible talent.   Beyond the Mat not quite so crushing all the way through, but there were some scenes with Jake Roberts and seeing Foley's kids react to his match that just tore at me.  High recommend for both docs.  

Watched a couple interesting but heartbreaking docs on NF that I have been meaning to catch:  Amy and Beyond the Mat.   Amy was crushing to watch that slow spiral down of that incredible talent.   Beyond the Mat not quite so crushing all the way through, but there were some scenes with Jake Roberts and seeing Foley's kids react to his match that just tore at me.  High recommend for both docs.  
Loved the Amy doc. Was amazing to have that kind of intimate access via video straight along.

I watched The Florida Project on Amazon Prime. Really liked it (as much as can enjoy a movie with some darker elements to it ) — felt raw and authentic. 

I watched The Florida Project on Amazon Prime. Really liked it (as much as can enjoy a movie with some darker elements to it ) — felt raw and authentic. 
That’s one I had been kicking around for awhile for a potential movie club selection. It’s such a good movie and the performances from both the non-actors and Willem Dafoe are excellent. The director also made a movie before they called Tangerine which I also thought was superb. It’s shot on I-phone and uses a lot of real transgendered sex workers. His work reminds of the old Italian Neorealism like Bicycle Thieves and the Rossellini war films. 

That’s one I had been kicking around for awhile for a potential movie club selection. It’s such a good movie and the performances from both the non-actors and Willem Dafoe are excellent. The director also made a movie before they called Tangerine which I also thought was superb. It’s shot on I-phone and uses a lot of real transgendered sex workers. His work reminds of the old Italian Neorealism like Bicycle Thieves and the Rossellini war films. 
Yeah, the performances were all pretty excellent, given the lack of acting experience by most of the actors/actresses.

After it ended, Tangerine came up as a “watch next” option. I’ll have to look into that one.

Yeah, the performances were all pretty excellent, given the lack of acting experience by most of the actors/actresses.

After it ended, Tangerine came up as a “watch next” option. I’ll have to look into that one.
It’s pretty incredible what Sean Baker is able to capture without a real camera or real actors. 

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Liked it much more the second time through.  The ending didn’t bother me this time.

Movie is just a fun hang.  Leo is terrific.  Movie looks amazing.  Margot Robbie is irresistible.  Great music.

A bit more humor in spots could have really helped.  The Spahn Ranch segment is very underwhelming.  Should have been a highlight.

Daywalker said:
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Liked it much more the second time through.  The ending didn’t bother me this time.

Movie is just a fun hang.  Leo is terrific.  Movie looks amazing.  Margot Robbie is irresistible.  Great music.

A bit more humor in spots could have really helped.  The Spahn Ranch segment is very underwhelming.  Should have been a highlight.
I loved the ending, although I realize it's controversial. 

Prodigy (Not the Prodigy). 

It’s kind of like a psychological battle of wills between a telekinetic ginger and a psychologist. Not horror so I put it here. Weak ending was a little disappointing, but not a bad film overall. 

I dont usually ask for these movies, but we are also kicking stuff around in the club thread.  

What recs do you have that are streaming for just fun, take your mind off stuff movies.  Qualifier: you have to legit think they are good, and be willing to go to bat for them.   I am looking through stuff now.  

I dont usually ask for these movies, but we are also kicking stuff around in the club thread.  

What recs do you have that are streaming for just fun, take your mind off stuff movies.  Qualifier: you have to legit think they are good, and be willing to go to bat for them.   I am looking through stuff now.  
Movies or shows?

Not sure if this is streaming but I'm sure its available in other venues like on demand.

Great story, good flick, excellent acting (Viggo Mortensen is one of my favorite actors and just owns this movie).

Highly recommend this film.

Captain Fantastic (2016)

I tried Jay and Silent Bob Reboot this morning.  I guess I need to set my bar a bit higher- I ended up tapping out after 30mins or so.  

I tried Jay and Silent Bob Reboot this morning.  I guess I need to set my bar a bit higher- I ended up tapping out after 30mins or so.  
Three old movies(No idea if they will stream) Endless Summer-surfing movie.
On Any Sunday- Bruce Brown, Steve McQueen and motorcycles. If you don't like
this movie your dead to me. The Gumball Rally. Illegal coast to coast car race.
Starts out slow, but I think it's a better movie then Cannonball Run. Same amount 
of silliness as Cannonball. 

Blues Brothers. My all time favorite. Another one that starts slow, but for pure
escapism is hard to beat.

Three old movies(No idea if they will stream) Endless Summer-surfing movie.
On Any Sunday- Bruce Brown, Steve McQueen and motorcycles. If you don't like
this movie your dead to me. The Gumball Rally. Illegal coast to coast car race.
Starts out slow, but I think it's a better movie then Cannonball Run. Same amount 
of silliness as Cannonball. 

Blues Brothers. My all time favorite. Another one that starts slow, but for pure
escapism is hard to beat.

The Endless Summer is pretty cool though I feel like it’s been upstaged by since its release by more coverage of surfing, but it still looks fantastic. More importantly, it is streaming on Prime.

The Endless Summer is pretty cool though I feel like it’s been upstaged by since its release by more coverage of surfing, but it still looks fantastic. More importantly, it is streaming on Prime.
There are "bigger",  maybe better surf movies, but this one is laid back and good for anyone. 

Using this time to catch-up on foreign movies.

1. Come and See (84)- this made me feel better about Coronavirus coming to Michigan. Seeing what it was like for a 13 year old boy in a village in Belarus when the NAZIs came to burn them all (village and people) to the ground was as difficult as it sounds. This is on par with The Killing Fields or Schindlers List for it's level of soul crushing horror
  2. The Passion of Anna (69)- someday someone is going to have to explain to me this whole Ingmar Bergman thing because I don't get his movies. Shocking me, it also had some horrible things in common with Come and See that I did not expect
  3. La Dolce Vita (60) just starting it, martini is poured. I think this is going to be fun and I really hope it doesn't gut punch me with NAZIs or torturing of animals, etc. 

Depending on the genre, you may get different recommendations. 

if you want to watch with family (kids and/or parents), you can’t go wrong with:

- The Way Way Back
- Search for Wilderpeople (It’s a Watiti movie)
-  The Kings of Summer
-  A Knight’s Tail (easy go-to, you’ve probably seen it)
- Mr. Right (a lot of fun, dark comedy,  somewhat violent)
- Support Your Local Sherif (classic-ish goofy western with James Garner)
- August Rush (feel-good fun if you don’t think about it too hard)

Wait, I just read where you said “Streaming.” Like Amazon, Hulu, or Netflix?  Probably none of these.  Oh well. I may as well leave this post up.   

Depending on the genre, you may get different recommendations. 

if you want to watch with family (kids and/or parents), you can’t go wrong with:

- The Way Way Back
- Search for Wilderpeople (It’s a Watiti movie)
-  The Kings of Summer
-  A Knight’s Tail (easy go-to, you’ve probably seen it)
- Mr. Right (a lot of fun, dark comedy,  somewhat violent)
- Support Your Local Sherif (classic-ish goofy western with James Garner)
- August Rush (feel-good fun if you don’t think about it too hard)

Wait, I just read where you said “Streaming.” Like Amazon, Hulu, or Netflix?  Probably none of these.  Oh well. I may as well leave this post up.   
I love the Way Way Back - I might have to pop that in again.   I do like a couple others on there as well.   

Mostly just said streaming because that seems to be what most are using, and I am not sure how much longer I am going to go to and use the library (which is still my main source of movies).   

Probably need to give the dumb comedies a rest - tried a couple today and didn't laugh much besides at Harold and Kumar.   Mostly I added rewatches like MIB, Tootsie, Any Given Sunday, Matrix, Super 8 to the list to mix in with my bloated queue since I tend to lean to dark dramas normally.  

Users who are viewing this thread