What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (4 Viewers)

I was going to recommend Stroszek, looked it up to add a link, and never realized it was Herzog!? 

So...not Czech. But worth the watch if you haven't seen it.
Nice, I am very much into seeing anything by Herzog. So far I've only 3 of his films but he is 3 for 3. 

The Man With No Name said:
Steve McQueen Tuesday on TCM.

9:45 am Eastern.... The Great Escape
12:45 pm.................The Cincinnati Kid
2:45 pm...................The Sand Pebbles
6:00 pm...................An Enemy of the People
The Great Escape is on Amazon Prime Video

Nope, only Grizzly Man, Fitzcarraldo and Aguire: Wrath of God
Look at the reviews on the IMDB page.  Must see.   EDIT:  An entire Hollywood movie was made of Dieter's story.  >> Rescue Dawn (2006)

Also Herzog gives an appearance in the documentary of Roger Ebert called 'Life Itself'.  Mosty devoted to Ebert but I just replied to someone who gave that doc a 'thumbs up'  :thumbup:  and remembered Herzog's contribution to that documentary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at the reviews on the IMDB page.  Must see.   EDIT:  An entire Hollywood movie was made of Dieter's story.  >> Rescue Dawn (2006)

Also Herzog gives an appearance in the documentary of Roger Ebert called 'Life Itself'.  Mosty devoted to Ebert but I just replied to someone who gave that doc a 'thumbs up'  :thumbup:  and remembered Herzog's contribution to that documentary.
I will definitely add it to my list. I took about 8 years off from watching movies and basically only read or watched TV shows. About two years ago, I got really sick of most TV and have flipped back to movies so I have a ton I am trying to catch up on. 

I can't remember, but seem to recall Herzog did rescue Dawn too? That was worthwhile as well, especially as a follow-up.

I can't remember, but seem to recall Herzog did rescue Dawn too? That was worthwhile as well, especially as a follow-up.
I saw Rescue Dawn and it must have credited Herzog's documentary as the  source so I looked it up and saw it as well. 

Both are great flicks.

You are correct, Werner not only wrote but also directed Rescue Dawn (2006) .

A U.S. fighter pilot's epic struggle of survival after being shot down on a mission over Laos during the Vietnam War.

Director:  Werner Herzog

Writer:   Werner Herzog

Since TCM had to cancel their film festival, from April 16-19 TCM is airing a "stay home film festival" showing greatest hits from their decades worth of previous events.

Here is the full schedule

Some highlights include 

- Deliverance with a full cast reunion of Burt Reynolds, Ned Beatty, Jon Voight and director John Boorman.

- Sergeant York presented by the son and grandson of US war hero Alvin York.

- Network with Faye Dunaway present and being interviewed

Lawrence of Arabia with Peter O'Toole present and honored. 

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

What the #### did I just watch? 

I watched Reservoir Dogs last night. Great movie. Almost perfect. But this? This came after the masturbatory crapfest of Hateful 8, right? Tarantino needs to stop now. The best part of this movie was the Red Apple commercial in the credits.

Real art house type of film that I'm sure many have not heard of let alone seen.

I saw it on YouTube a few years back where someone scored it with contemporary music.  Incredible combination of visuals with that score.  

Sofiko Chiaureli is gorgeous.  The director got banished by the Soviet authorities who hated any art that wasn't for the masses and this isn't popular culture stuff but his work shows genius use of color, space, texture.  Framing of shots is intentionally skewed at times, unique costumes, perspectives.  

Not for ADD types but memorizing visuals. 

The Color of Pomegranates (1969)

The Color of Pomegranates is a 1969 Soviet art film written and directed by Sergei Parajanov. It is a poetic treatment of the life of the 18th-century Armenian singer Sayat-Nova. It has appeared in some scholarly polls of the greatest films ever made.

I 'think' this is the version I saw with contemporary scoring.  >>  The Colour of Pomegranates - Juno Reactor Score 

Commissioned by the Bialystok Film Festival in Poland, Ben Watkins AKA Juno Reactor performed this live on the 29th September 2013. In 1997 Juno Reactor Licensed The Colour of Pomegranates from the Arminian Ministry of Culture to cut a video to the track "God is God"

The "God is God" Video has been uploaded many times and taken down in equal measure, with millions of hits, it has become a way in for many new people into the world of Sergei Parajanov, an Arminian taxi driver told Ben in LA that "he was a great Director, but an even greater man". If you are new to Sergei Parajanov and his films, welcome to an amazing world of true cinema and artistry, I hope you also you find this score compliments the film. Tracks used in this film are Written by Juno Reactor, as well as incorporating elements of the original score, sometime superimposed onto of top of one another, especially in Song for Ancestors where it freakishly collided in tuning and rhythmically... Solaris - Luciana - Dreams (new track) - Aerial Ballet (Brave Story) - Chamber of the Four Guardians (Brave Story) - Conga Fury - God is God - Playing with Fire - Song for Ancestors - Angels and Men.
This cut of the film is shorter than the original and from the description it gets taken down quickly.

Real art house type of film that I'm sure many have not heard of let alone seen.

I saw it on YouTube a few years back where someone scored it with contemporary music.  Incredible combination of visuals with that score.  

Sofiko Chiaureli is gorgeous.  The director got banished by the Soviet authorities who hated any art that wasn't for the masses and this isn't popular culture stuff but his work shows genius use of color, space, texture.  Framing of shots is intentionally skewed at times, unique costumes, perspectives.  

Not for ADD types but memorizing visuals. 

The Color of Pomegranates (1969)

The Color of Pomegranates is a 1969 Soviet art film written and directed by Sergei Parajanov. It is a poetic treatment of the life of the 18th-century Armenian singer Sayat-Nova. It has appeared in some scholarly polls of the greatest films ever made.

I 'think' this is the version I saw with contemporary scoring.  >>  The Colour of Pomegranates - Juno Reactor Score 

This cut of the film is shorter than the original and from the description it gets taken down quickly.
Interesting.  I hadn’t heard of it but will check it out.

I watched Captive State today. Interesting film about aliens taking over the world and the resulting dissidents vs. the establishment. 3.5/5
Sounds like the TV show, Colony. Also about a 3.5/5
We watched it last night...zips right along, sometimes without enough or clear enough explanation...but decent enough. Agree with your rating.

And yes...very much like Colony. If you liked the movie you should watch the show.

We watched it last night...zips right along, sometimes without enough or clear enough explanation...but decent enough. Agree with your rating.

And yes...very much like Colony. If you liked the movie you should watch the show.
Will grab the full seasons here shortly 

We watched Airplane with our 12 and 8yos. They both said they liked it...and surely/shirley they were serious. Kind of a shock given how of the times most of the spoofing was (we tried to explain some of the references) Wife and I saw it in the theater at the same age, and hopefully missed as much of the more blue humor as they did. 

We watched Airplane with our 12 and 8yos. They both said they liked it...and surely/shirley they were serious. Kind of a shock given how of the times most of the spoofing was (we tried to explain some of the references) Wife and I saw it in the theater at the same age, and hopefully missed as much of the more blue humor as they did. 
Did you know Airplane is a remake of the 1957 film Zero Hour!? 

Here is a side by side comparison

The Kitchen... "mob" movie with Tiffany haddish, Elizabeth moss, Melissa McCarty

Decent flick, something felt a little off but overall I enjoyed it

If you've cycled NetFlix/Hulu and are looking for a good old western then here are two worth seeing.

First one of my all-time favorite westerns.  🤠 

"I wouldn't go stirr'n up no trouble with that girl young fella.  She's as tough as a pine nut.  Outta be, she was raised with Apaches."

IMDB page  >>  Yellow Sky (1948)

LINK to the movie >>  📽️ >>  Yellow Sky (Western 1948)Gregory Peck, Anne Baxter & Richard Widmark

Read just about any review of this movie.  Under rated.

-----------------------------------------------------

Second a movie that a few have heard of but fewer have seen.  Robert Redford and Catherine Ross (both in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid) with a pre-Baretta Robert Blake and one of the most complicated female characters ever written with Susan Clark as Liz.  Based on a true story.

Title Card: In the summer of 1909, a member of the oldest American minority, a Paiute Indian named Willie Boy, became the center of an extraordinary historical event. This is what happened in the deserts of California.

IMDB page  >> Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here (1969)

Link to the movie >>  📽️  >>  Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here (Full Movie, Western, HD, English, Entire Film) *free full westerns*

------------------------------------------------------

Both are worth the time.  

Check em out and tell me what you think.  

Watched The Gentlemen last night. Really enjoyed it. Great performances by McConaughey, Hunnam, Farrell and Grant. I really enjoyed Grant's character.  The setup was interesting and had to be patient for the pieces to fall into place but it was well worth it.  I haven't watched many movies recently but this was definitely one of the best. I am a Ritchie fan, however, so YMMV.

8/10

Watched Yellow Sky last night. Excellent. Cinematography was top notch, great shots of the landscape. Peck was great and Widmark his usual greedy bad guy self. The story was different for a western. Saw this after watching it - The western commenced a construction crew of over 150 men and women to build a ghost town in the desert near Lone Pine, California, by demolishing a movie set, called "Last Outpost", that Tom Mix had built in 1923

for fans of Japanese movies, TCM star of the month for April is Toshiro Mifune so the next several Wednesdays will be Japanese movie marathons, including Seven Samurai tonite @8 
I think am DVRing about 8 movies today. Drunken Angel, Stray Dog, Red Beard, Sanjuro, High and Low, Seven Samurai. and Yojimbo. Samurai is the only one I've seen. 

Started Suburbia late last night because I felt like I needed a distraction before trying to shut my eyes. Had always had it on the list and knew generally about it (decline of Western civ director) without knowing much at all .

Saw Roger Corman as a producer and thought ruh-roh. Also got through arguably the worst opening movie scene ever. but then somehow couldn't turn it off, in spite of the low low budget and non-actors (including a teenage flea) and not much of a script and a non-ending. Zeitgeisty deluxe.

Wife & I watched enjoyed 1917.. Well done, intense movie :thumbup:  
Was good.  WWI movies don't come around often.  Surprisingly not a lot.  I was hoping 1917 would be epic and expansive.  It wasn't that.

Paths of Glory is awesome.

WWI really needs a proper Band of Brothers/Netflix type treatment.

Was good.  WWI movies don't come around often.  Surprisingly not a lot.  I was hoping 1917 would be epic and expansive.  It wasn't that.

Did you see it in the theaters?

The continuous shot POV is inherently not expansive or epic, in that it's focused fairly tightly to the main characters and their journey. It was never going to be Lawrence of Arabia with this approach.

And yet, in the theater, I found it epic and expansive (within the context of the journey) because of the one shot method and the tightly told story and visuals. 

:goodposting:  I was thinking the same thing as I watched 1917... 
There are some great WW1 movies but they are mostly pretty old. Once WW2 happened, it clearly took over the public conscious. It's an easier story to tell, Clearer sides of good and evil, bigger moments, etc. WW1 is mostly a long slow grind of no real purpose as if it's sole purpose was to rid the world of as many men as possible. 

There are some great WW1 movies but they are mostly pretty old. Once WW2 happened, it clearly took over the public conscious. It's an easier story to tell, Clearer sides of good and evil, bigger moments, etc. WW1 is mostly a long slow grind of no real purpose as if it's sole purpose was to rid the world of as many men as possible. 
The Franz Ferdinand assassination is a hard to believe story.  A great movie waiting to happen.

WWI would make for a great mini series.  A lot of different angles.

for fans of Japanese movies, TCM star of the month for April is Toshiro Mifune so the next several Wednesdays will be Japanese movie marathons, including Seven Samurai tonite @8 
my bad - turns out Mifune was just the one-day thing. last month's Wednesday guy, the currently-worthless Joe E Brown, got every Wednesday in March, so i made the same assumption on Toshirosan

my bad - turns out Mifune was just the one-day thing. last month's Wednesday guy, the currently-worthless Joe E Brown, got every Wednesday in March, so i made the same assumption on Toshirosan
I believe the star of the month is the bountiful Jane Russell. I think Wednesday was just the 100th birthday for Mifune.

The Franz Ferdinand assassination is a hard to believe story.  A great movie waiting to happen.

WWI would make for a great mini series.  A lot of different angles.
Check out 37 Days that BBC did- it centers around Franz and the start of the war. Birdsong by BBC is also pretty good. Most of the WW1 stuff seems to be European. That was their war much more than ours. 

The best WW1 movies imo are

Wings, Paths of Glory, The Big Parade, Grand Illusion and All Quiet on the Western Front. They are all quite old though.

Check out 37 Days that BBC did- it centers around Franz and the start of the war. Birdsong by BBC is also pretty good. Most of the WW1 stuff seems to be European. That was their war much more than ours. 

The best WW1 movies imo are

Wings, Paths of Glory, The Big Parade, Grand Illusion and All Quiet on the Western Front. They are all quite old though.
Galipoli right behind those..but another tier

Users who are viewing this thread