What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (7 Viewers)

“The Good Liar” Ian McKellen movie. Not bad. Don’t watch any previews and it would be even better. Preview was super spoilery.

Can’t believe I’m typing this but “The Wrong Missy” with David Spade wasn’t bad. Really stupid but had some funny moments and was enjoyable to watch. 

Ha-Gan (aka The Garden), 1977.  Israeli film that isn't bad. 
Old man with wife owns valuable land on which he has a fruit farm, or garden. He is constantly being pressured to sell with his son among the people pushing him. His wife works with him picking the fruits, loading his vehicle and pushing from behind to get it started after loading. He is eventually offered much more than his garden is worth but he will not sell because he believes he and it are blessed by God, after he discovers a young naked woman living in the garden - an angel. But is she real? A young Melanie Griffith shows it all again and again. There are also some teen hoodlums who cause problems for everyone and help the story get to the ending. 

I found the dvd disc in a yellow envelope while cleaning and have no idea where it came from, how I got it or how long it has been here. Had never even heard of this film before 'finding' it.

“The Good Liar” Ian McKellen movie. Not bad. Don’t watch any previews and it would be even better. Preview was super spoilery.

Can’t believe I’m typing this but “The Wrong Missy” with David Spade wasn’t bad. Really stupid but had some funny moments and was enjoyable to watch. 
The lady from The Wrong Missy was annoying until I viewed it as good acting. Thankfully she calmed down throughout the movie. 

Second viewing for Ready or Not. Enjoyed it.

6 pm on TCM : Travels With My Aunt.
It's different and worth a watch. 

Roger Greenspun of The New York Times said the film's "great charm" lies in

"the surprising emotional complexity it manages in terms of its light tone and its nutty, endlessly involved plotting. Such emotional complexity depends a good deal on richness of characterization and delicacy of human contact, and in this the film sometimes succeeds and sometimes doesn't. Alec McCowen does marvelous things as Henry ... Maggie Smith, playing a woman twice her age, seems to have surrounded her character rather than to have inhabited it ... and she is energetic enough for any five ordinary performers. But it is the energy of caricature rather than personality, and Aunt Augusta is sufficiently an original not to need any eccentricities added on. But the film is full of privileged moments, lucid, controlled and graceful, and any of them might serve to epitomize the style and the meaning of the valuable cinema of George Cukor

Turned Uncut Gems off after about an hour.  Both myself and gf thought wtf is this garbage?  75% of the time someone is yelling. 95% of the time they are dropping F-bombs.  No likeable character at all. Sandler does a good job, I suppose, but we didn't give two hoots about anyone or anything.  It was just annoying.
You aren’t alone. The Rotten Tomato Audiences really didn’t like it. Tons of reviews saying exactly what you said. The test before seeing it should be “have you ever complained because a movie had too many f bombs, too much yelling or the characters weren’t likable enough?” If you say yes than you are sure to Uncut Gem.
Saw  it last night and I came close to turning the channel.

It had a a lot of great things but they went too-far in trying to create chaos.  If they toned it down from 11 they had something.  

I too was shocked that I not only didn't turn this off 20 or 30 min in, but I actually laughed and enjoyed it.  Pleasantly surprised.  

California Split  (gambling movie)

Awesome movie. Directed by Robert Altman, starring Elliott Gould and George Segal. Steven Spielberg was involved in it and a deal was in place at MGM with Steve McQueen starring before a shakeup at the studio took it to Universal, then eventually Columbia Pictures.  Amarillo Slim is in it in a small part, as himself. Some have praised it as the greatest film about gambling ever made. Amazing film with an amazingly bizarre path to getting made. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Split

Currently on Prime Video

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched Lockout on Netflix, with Guy Pierce. 2012 French produced sci-fi thing about breaking a hostage out of an orbiting prison with Pierce as a wise-cracking tough guy with a heart of gold sent to do the job. Yes, it's basically escape from NY in space...which is a good thing. I recommend to not expect much with this one, but it's a fun enough ride.

The lady from The Wrong Missy was annoying until I viewed it as good acting. Thankfully she calmed down throughout the movie. 
:lol: I posted earlier that I like all sorts of bad comedies.   This was a bad comedy.   Which I thought was ok 

Yeah, and the soap opera is kind of weird too. The love triangle with choices between Clark Gable and Leslie Howard is maybe not quite as absurd as SNL’s Patrick Swayze and Chris Farley Chippendale’s sketch, but felt in the same spirit.
Yeah I feel ike Leslie Howard didn’t work for that role because he has absolutely none of the looks, charm or charisma of Gable.

Saw The Upside last night. It's got Kevin Hart, Bryan Cranston and a bit of Nicole Kidman.  But mainly the 2 dudes.  It's surprisingly decent.

Longish post ahead. Lot of movies during pandemic including some I wanted to revisit. All ratings out of 5 viruses. 

The Farewell - 🦠🦠🦠🦠.5    sweet movie. Very well done.   

Little Women - 🦠🦠🦠.5    My wife loved it, it was fine, felt a little rushed and skipped over. 

Breakfast Club - 🦠🦠🦠 first time ever seeing it  I have to say I don’t get why it’s so beloved  

La Land  - 🦠🦠🦠🦠   Discussed earlier 

Rocketman - 🦠🦠🦠🦠  I guess I like musicals. Egerton really nailed the essence of Elton imo.  

Star is Born - 🦠🦠🦠🦠  Pretty good performances. More heart than i figured it would have. Bradley Cooper was very good, as was Gaga. I was way more invested in the ending than I would have assumed I would be. 

Yesterday - 🦠🦠 SO disappointing. How do you have total access to the greatest music catalog of all-time and put out THAT?!?! Tired , boring cliched garbage. At one point I thought the main would wake up out of a coma and even that would be less cliched than what they did. Would have at least been mildly interesting of ending. Just terrible, the writers should be ashamed. 

Do the Right Thing - 🦠🦠🦠🦠.5    haven’t seen it since the 90s. One of the most important movies of all-time. 

You Got Mail - wife’s movie night choice. I’ve seen it so many times but also have never really seen it. I just stare at my iPad. Peak Tom Hanks cheese. Wife looooooves it.  

Ferris Bueller - 🦠🦠🦠🦠 - I got on an 80s kick here for a while. 

Usual Suspects - 🦠🦠🦠🦠 better when I saw it in the 90s. Little boring leading up to the ending and unfortunately lead to a generation of gotcha endings, most of which made no sense. 

Hateful Eight  - 🦠🦠🦠🦠   I liked it better than the reviews I guess. I’m a sucker for Tarantino dialogue though. Never felt meandering to me despite the length. Also you put Goggins, Roth, SLJ etc together in a room and I’m just going to enjoy simply watching them. 

Django - 🦠🦠🦠🦠.5    On a Tarantino sugar high here. 

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - 🦠🦠🦠🦠.5 Other than Pulp, maybe his best movie? Sensational by Pitt and Leo. He landed the ending better than he usually does too.

Once Upon a Time in the West - 🦠🦠🦠.5   Lot to look at here, gorgeously shot, amazing sets but the plot felt a little hard to follow and honestly that GD harmonica may have been iconic but it got annoying after a while. I’d watch again though just because of how beautiful the sets are. American classic even if not the best plot. 

Finally saw Shoot The Piano Player. Good mix of film noir and the French New Wave. Worth the watch if into either of those. Also I was surprised there was very brief nudity from a film made in 1960.

Yup. I couldn’t believe it. This is by far the longest I had ever watched David Spade on a screen. 
That's interesting. Because I didn't like it because they didn't let Spade be Spade. He was just some middle aged schlub. And not the funny Spade. 

So any boring white middle aged actor could have played that role. They completely neutered Spade and what makes him funny.

Watched Hustlers this weekend.  It was okay, but I think a bit over-hyped given the J-Lo Oscar buzz (or the Scorsese with strippers comparison). Plot just seemed kind of predictable and derivative.  Women using sex for money was done better pre-Code — I’d rather watch something like Barbara Stanwyck in Baby Face or Jean Harlow in Red-Headed Woman.

Watched Hustlers this weekend.  It was okay, but I think a bit over-hyped given the J-Lo Oscar buzz (or the Scorsese with strippers comparison). Plot just seemed kind of predictable and derivative.  Women using sex for money was done better pre-Code — I’d rather watch something like Barbara Stanwyck in Baby Face or Jean Harlow in Red-Headed Woman.
It wasn't nearly as good as it was made out to be. Or her acting. But the body was on point!

Ocean's 8 - Meh

Still too much "clever for it's own good" like the previous Ocean's movies were. And I know it's just a movie, but the heist is just too implausible to make the movie work. I laughed in a couple spots. So...not bad, not good either. 

The Vast of Night - liked it and I'm growing to really like it

This Amazon Original is getting a lot of buzz. I like the description from Roger Ebert review site: "You already know the plot. You've seen it all before. But the way the story is told is new. With "The Vast of Night," it really is about the how, not just the "what happens." It's a first effort from the director and is a really great effort. If you like long takes and tracking shots, you'll love this movie.

Breakfast Club - 🦠🦠🦠 first time ever seeing it  I have to say I don’t get why it’s so beloved  
it helps if the first time you see it, you're a teenager
:goodposting:   is in my top 10 of Re-watch-ability .. I was one of those people in High school who had friends who didn't mesh with most... Partiers, Preps, Nerds and some athletes/cheer leaders who weren't stuck up so can relate to the movie.

The Vast of Night - liked it and I'm growing to really like it

This Amazon Original is getting a lot of buzz. I like the description from Roger Ebert review site: "You already know the plot. You've seen it all before. But the way the story is told is new. With "The Vast of Night," it really is about the how, not just the "what happens." It's a first effort from the director and is a really great effort. If you like long takes and tracking shots, you'll love this movie.
I haven’t heard of this one.  I enjoy a good tracking shot. Will have to give it a look.

My Criterion order came Monday. Great timing for having picked out The Battle of Algiers. I have seen it before but given the current events, the movie is more powerful than ever. It's a must watch if anyone hasn't seen it. 

I was watching Shawshank again the other day and one area of greatness (there are many) in the film that always stands out is Thomas Newman's simple, but highly effective score. My favorite part being the music in Red's trip to the Buxton oak tree. Newman has been up for a dozen or more Oscars but has never won. I find myself always rooting for him to finally nab an academy award as he's so overdue with many additional excellent scores like Road to Perdition and American Beauty.  I guess it also took Morricone forever to win, so hopefully Newman will also have his moment someday...

I was watching Shawshank again the other day and one area of greatness (there are many) in the film that always stands out is Thomas Newman's simple, but highly effective score. My favorite part being the music in Red's trip to the Buxton oak tree. Newman has been up for a dozen or more Oscars but has never won. I find myself always rooting for him to finally nab an academy award as he's so overdue with many additional excellent scores like Road to Perdition and American Beauty.  I guess it also took Morricone forever to win, so hopefully Newman will also have his moment someday...
Speaking of that, the Elmer Bernstein for The Great Escape is a classic. 

Maggie - decent

Interesting choice by Schwarzenegger who apparently took no salary to star in this movie. It has an interesting setup - we've seen movies that deal with the dread of a terminally ill child before, but what if that child was dangerous due to their illness? A time bomb really? A short 90 minutes but not entirely unworthy of the effort.

Tepid endorsement, I know.

Doctor Sleep - really liked it

It's not The Shining but that's okay - It's its own story. Rebecca Ferguson, so petty but so menacing. The final showdown in the Overlook is really cool. I'm going to watch again but the director's cut next time.

Edit: And for those of you who care about such things...this might be the best looking BluRay I've ever seen. I didn't watch it in 4k but I can't imagine it'd be that much better (except for HDR, I guess but I don't really get how all that works).

Gerard Butler may be my favorite actor working right now. He just gets me. 

Great action. A bit snarly. I just buy (figuratively) all of his movies.

Us - nope

I have a hard time buying the central conceit. The existence of the Tethered is explained away in one throwaway line. And it makes no sense. 

And the "rules" are sort of all over the place depending on what the plot needed them to be.

It wasn't terrible but it missed the mark for me.

I just saw an older film called Lonely Are The Brave and it was very good.

It starred Kirk Douglas as an older cowboy who tries to deal with law enforcement in the early 1960s. 

I had read some good reviews of it and they were spot on.

Us - nope

I have a hard time buying the central conceit. The existence of the Tethered is explained away in one throwaway line. And it makes no sense. 

And the "rules" are sort of all over the place depending on what the plot needed them to be.

It wasn't terrible but it missed the mark for me.
I really liked it. I can’t really explain the movie or what the tethered was but I thought it was scary and thrilling which was enough for me to enjoy it.

Trumbo: solid but not great. Though one can’t help but think of the current political climate in a couple of ways. One, the blackballing for political views and the beginning where strikers get portrayed as violent thugs spurred on by secret communists. Do things ever really change?

Ilov80s said:
I really liked it. I can’t really explain the movie or what the tethered was but I thought it was scary and thrilling which was enough for me to enjoy it.
I somewhat agree.  I had no idea what it was about going in and it was entertaining and thrilling at times.  It was good and worth the watch.  I liked Get Out better but it was still a good movie that kept my attention. 

Watched The Platform on Netflix.  This thing is everything that I expected Parasite to be.  Definitely left me up at night thinking about it afterwards.  Highly recommend.

The the complete flipside, Six Underground was surprisingly entertaining.

Watched The Hunt and The Invisible Man.

Hunt started ok, but went off the rails fast.

Enjoyed The Invisible Man quite bit. Not perfect, but pretty solid. 

The Parallax View - Zzzzzz

Hitchcock could have made this exciting. Pakula did not.
Did you sit through the entire montage of the flashing images and repeated phrases? I admit to tapping out at about two minutes and hit the FF button on the remote. I've read that it went almost six full minutes. Oof.

There was also a "Random A-Ha Moment" in the film. In the beginning, the clean shaven waiter in the red jacket--he was the Mountain Man in Deliverance

Did you sit through the entire montage of the flashing images and repeated phrases? I admit to tapping out at about two minutes and hit the FF button on the remote. I've read that it went almost six full minutes. Oof.

There was also a "Random A-Ha Moment" in the film. In the beginning, the clean shaven waiter in the red jacket--he was the Mountain Man in Deliverance
I did sit through it all. I felt like Alex in A Clockwork Orange. Pretty typical early 70's trippiness.

Watched a couple today:

Knives Out - I had a blast with this one.  Just good to see a fun, well written, well made movie that not's an existing property or remake.  Just a fun genre, and I loved that he made it so you were actually rooting against the detective to figure out what was going on.   Fun cast too.   7.5/10

Impractical Jokers:  The Movie - yeah, this was a piece of ####.   Basically just 1 episodes worth of contests enveloped around 1hour+ of crap.   I actually like most of the episodes I've seen, so figured this would be a laugh with the kid today, but basically we just FFD through most of the movie after awhile and just watched the little bit of content there was.   About the only thing we laughed at was Q's parents and the Atlanta Hawks interviews.  2/10

Watched a couple today:

Knives Out - I had a blast with this one.  Just good to see a fun, well written, well made movie that not's an existing property or remake.  Just a fun genre, and I loved that he made it so you were actually rooting against the detective to figure out what was going on.   Fun cast too.   7.5/10
you nailed it.  this movie was just fun.

Users who are viewing this thread