What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (4 Viewers)

Saw it last night and that was the first thing I said to my wife when we left.  Between the fast paced dialogue, thick accents and plenty of mask wearing I really could have used subtitles.  And I'm not a fan of subtitles generally.

I mean, the plot/timelines were difficult enough to follow (and I'm still not sure I understand) without the hard to understand words. 
So with that, would you recommend waiting for it to come out for home viewing? Or would you suggest still going to see it at the theater?
It was a gorgeous looking movie.  We saw it in a Dolby theater and for the visuals alone I would want to see it on a big screen (may go back and see via IMAX), but I don't even know if a second viewing will clear things up. 

The legendary 1964 T.A.M.I Show - James Brown, Chuck Berry, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys and a bunch of Motown performers and others backed by the Wrecking Crew - is on TCM tonight @ 8. I believe Fridays all month are gonna have rock docs & such

1917 - Liked it

I liked the look and feel of it more than the pretty basic story or the "one" take gimmick. But the characters and presentation were both good.

I think I got the rec from this thread but Ready or Not was really good. Sometimes a movie like that can be cheesy, going for cheap laughs but this had none of that. Every reaction was normal, not over the top. The lead actress was excellent. She had an amazing yell!  Mostly unknown cast, outside of Andie MacDowell,  but they were all great.Very much recommended.
Thought it was really good as well . The main actress is Samara Weaving, Hugo Weaving’s niece. Seems like this movie flew well under the radar.

The Babysitter on Netflix has her in it and was solid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very disappointing and I am a sucker for most anything WWII
I thought it was good. Simple story, simple characters. You see a slice of 
WWII that wasn't talked about. There aren't any "big" moments in the movie
that make you go "wow". It's a decent movie if you run out of new movies to see.   

The legendary 1964 T.A.M.I Show - James Brown, Chuck Berry, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys and a bunch of Motown performers and others backed by the Wrecking Crew - is on TCM tonight @ 8. I believe Fridays all month are gonna have rock docs & such
I have lot 8 hours of movie concerts recorded from TCM this weekend. They really went off with some rock for Labor Day. 

I have lot 8 hours of movie concerts recorded from TCM this weekend. They really went off with some rock for Labor Day. 
i woke up to a "day in the life" movie about Leon Russell which featured a beautiful naked lady - whose blonde era-generous thatch wafted across her abdomen like a cloud of angel whispers - feeding baby chicks to her python. i love rock & roll...

i woke up to a "day in the life" movie about Leon Russell which featured a beautiful naked lady - whose blonde era-generous thatch wafted across her abdomen like a cloud of angel whispers - feeding baby chicks to her python. i love rock & roll...
That TAMI Show movie was so cool, had no idea that excited. The James Brown performance is among the best I’ve ever seen.

Jexi - ok comedy that had some good bits.   Other movies have been done about a "relationship" with a siri/alexa etc.  This one is slightly different.  We enjoyed it

Watched Knives out https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8946378/ over the weekend

With the cast I had high expectations.. I'd still give it 3 out of 5 but not re-watachable IMO.

figured out the the twist regarding medicines when she was searching for the antidote. By then his speech and ability to function should have been impacted.

Enemy - Interesting, but not sure I liked it

A little bit Fight Club, a little bit Memento, a little bit Mulholland Dr. 

I chuckled when they prominently displayed the brand name of the key.

Enemy - Interesting, but not sure I liked it

A little bit Fight Club, a little bit Memento, a little bit Mulholland Dr. 

I chuckled when they prominently displayed the brand name of the key.
Like you said - it was interesting, but I think it's my least favorite of Villeneuve's movies that I've seen.  

Watched Dog Day Afternoon yesterday on HBO Max Streaming.

Great exchange that I had forgotten:

Leon:   Where are you going?

Sonny:   I don't know where,....well we said Algeria, so I'll go to Algeria.

Leon:    Algeria? Why are you going to Algeria?

Sonny:    (sigh). I don't know why, they got  a Howard Johnson's so I'm going.

On a side note,  I never used to pay attention to movie credits when I was a teenager, or what actors I was watching unless it was a top star (like Pacino).  I had seen Dog Day Afternoon about 3 times before I realized Sal was played by John Cazale and couldn't believe it was the same guy who played Fredo in The Godfather.  I think it might have been about that time that I started paying attention to movie credits and looking at what different movies actors had played in.

Watched Knives out https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8946378/ over the weekend

With the cast I had high expectations.. I'd still give it 3 out of 5 but not re-watachable IMO.

figured out the the twist regarding medicines when she was searching for the antidote. By then his speech and ability to function should have been impacted.
 I watched it a second time recently and actually came out liking it better. 

Charade - Liked it

Snappy dialog, and a fun twisty plot. It's a little sad seeing a late career Cary Grant, but his age is part of the performance.

But, oh my, Audrey Hepburn...

Reggie Lampert: You're blocking my view.

Peter Joshua: Oh... which view would you prefer?

Reggie Lampert: The one you're blocking.

Charade - Liked it

Snappy dialog, and a fun twisty plot. It's a little sad seeing a late career Cary Grant, but his age is part of the performance.

I love that movie. And Audrey Hepburn was ... quite attractive. 

Charade - Liked it

Love that movie. Have seen it many times. Got The Criterion Collection dvd a couple months ago and watched it with commentary from the director and the screen writer. Good stuff.

Whatever you're watching, turn the channel right now and watch Ridley Scott's brilliant new show Raised by Wolves on HBO max. Original, subtle, sometimes violent, always beautiful to look at.

Whatever you're watching, turn the channel right now and watch Ridley Scott's brilliant new show Raised by Wolves on HBO max. Original, subtle, sometimes violent, always beautiful to look at.
I might try it if positive reviews keep coming in.   I watched the trailer and thought the CG would annoy me.  

Watched Dog Day Afternoon yesterday on HBO Max Streaming.

Great exchange that I had forgotten:

Leon:   Where are you going?

Sonny:   I don't know where,....well we said Algeria, so I'll go to Algeria.

Leon:    Algeria? Why are you going to Algeria?

Sonny:    (sigh). I don't know why, they got  a Howard Johnson's so I'm going.

On a side note,  I never used to pay attention to movie credits when I was a teenager, or what actors I was watching unless it was a top star (like Pacino).  I had seen Dog Day Afternoon about 3 times before I realized Sal was played by John Cazale and couldn't believe it was the same guy who played Fredo in The Godfather.  I think it might have been about that time that I started paying attention to movie credits and looking at what different movies actors had played in.
John Holland Cazale (August 12, 1935 – March 13, 1978) was an American actor. He appeared in five films over six years, all of which were nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture: The Godfather (1972), The Conversation (1974), The Godfather Part II (1974), Dog Day Afternoon (1975), and The Deer Hunter (1978), with the two Godfather films and The Deer Hunter winning.

John Cazale is the only actor whose all feature films he appeared in (5) were nominated for the Best Picture Oscar.

BroncoFreak_2K3 said:
John Holland Cazale (August 12, 1935 – March 13, 1978) was an American actor. He appeared in five films over six years, all of which were nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture: The Godfather (1972), The Conversation (1974), The Godfather Part II (1974), Dog Day Afternoon (1975), and The Deer Hunter (1978), with the two Godfather films and The Deer Hunter winning.

John Cazale is the only actor whose all feature films he appeared in (5) were nominated for the Best Picture Oscar.
Amazing...never knew that and just assumed he had a long career. Wiki says he studied acting in college and worked on stage between then and these films...supporting himself in all kinds of ways (taxi driver, messenger). Got cast from his stage work. Died of lung cancer while dating meryl streep.

KarmaPolice said:
I might try it if positive reviews keep coming in.   I watched the trailer and thought the CG would annoy me.  
CGI reminds me of Blade Runner 2049 - which I thought was well done. 

belljr said:
I just can't get into Jojo rabbit.   Just not clicking
Same.

I tried going back to it after shutting it off the first time after a little over an hour. Couldn't watch much more.

The Assistant on Amazon Prime, starring Ruth (Julia Garner)from Ozark and a brief appearance from Tom from Succession. It's a dark look at sexual harassment in the workplace. Great performance by Garner. The movie left me empty at the end but I guess that's the point. I won't get into why, since it might take away from the movie. 

Watching a live table read of the princess bride by surviving cast members... A mess, but so great.

Eta...zoom destroying this, but the cast has been great

El Floppo said:
Watching a live table read of the princess bride by surviving cast members... A mess, but so great.

Eta...zoom destroying this, but the cast has been great
Technical issues aside, that was a blast. Q&A afterwards w cast, a still alive norman lear, andre the giant stories, billy crystal riffing...just great.

whoknew said:
I watched On the Waterfront for the first time today. 

This Marlon Brando kid - I think he has a bright future.

Seriously, though, great movie. Probably watch Streetcar next. Haven't seen that either.
Hopefully you feel differently than me.

Loved On The Waterfront, thought Streetcar was meh.

The Train - just okay, but some good high points

Frankenheimer had a nice run in the 60's; this one coming in between Seven Days In May (very underrated movie) and Seconds (which I watched twice).

The movie kind of lurches, exciting in stretches, dull in stretches. But the train crashes are staged well and look amazing. And the final shot of two different kinds of "bodies" is really quite jarring and makes an interesting point. 

Worth a watch but IMO Lancaster is largely wasted in this role. And the dubbing is distracting. 

Frankenheimer had a nice run in the 60's; this one coming in between Seven Days In May (very underrated movie) and Seconds (which I watched twice).

The movie kind of lurches, exciting in stretches, dull in stretches. But the train crashes are staged well and look amazing. And the final shot of two different kinds of "bodies" is really quite jarring and makes an interesting point. 

Worth a watch but IMO Lancaster is largely wasted in this role. And the dubbing is distracting. 
Oh I really liked that one 

Oh I really liked that one 
I liked the Train too. Watch it every few years. Also liked 7 days in May as well. Both movies in black and white and featuring Lancaster who had the acting chops to do both hero and villian equally well.

Favorite Lancaster role is his few minutes on screen as Moonlight Graham in Field of Dreams.

Sunday, Today and Thursday in Theaters : Close Encounters of the Third Kind

October 4th, 6th and 7th:  Friday the 13th 40th Anniversary

October 10th, 13th and 17th: Total Recall 30th Anniversary

Ebola Holmes was ok. Something to watch with the kids if you have them, otherwise a don't bother imo. Whodunnits/mysteries that rely on the protagonist's photographic memory to recall things we the viewer didn't get to see as a primary method of solving things...not my cuppa. 

Users who are viewing this thread