Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition

4 hours ago, jamny said:

I tried watching that George Clooney space thing on Netflix. Even fast forwarding through it was boring.

I sat through it to the end but I had the exact same reaction. Slow-moving films are compelling when they are heading somewhere meaningful. The Midnight Sky just drifts along at a flatline pace. George did a lot of brooding, and emoting, not much else.

I love George, but maybe the sci-fi genre just isn't for him. Solaris and Tomorrowland are other films that were difficult to connect to the story or his character. 

12 hours ago, prosopis said:

Watched WW1984 on HBO Max and was not impressed.

7 hours ago, Wingnut said:

Yep, it was a mess.

I give it a 4.5 out of 10. Was wishing I'd get a chance to watch it but you gotta be careful what you wish for.

Edited by brun

18 hours ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

I sat through it to the end but I had the exact same reaction. Slow-moving films are compelling when they are heading somewhere meaningful. The Midnight Sky just drifts along at a flatline pace. George did a lot of brooding, and emoting, not much else.

I love George, but maybe the sci-fi genre just isn't for him. Solaris and Tomorrowland are other films that were difficult to connect to the story or his character. 

Gravity was good.

Finally saw Scott Pilgrim vs The World as I know a lot of people consider that a classic as this point. The look of it was cool, loved the Unversal logo/theme done in an old Nintendo style but the movie was god awful. I stopped halfway through. It was a total Cringefest sponsored by ADHD. 

Got the Shout Factory 4K release of The Deer Hunter. I hadn't seen the movie since the late 90s when I was trying to see all the movies from the AFI list. I am realizing now that I haven't truly SEEN some of these movies. A DVD on a square 32 inch TV didn't do The Deer Hunter justice. I am glad to finally to truly see and hear this movie. I can't recommend the film or the 4K release enough. I remembered the story and the characters but what really popped this time was how gorgeous it looked and sounded. I've always carried this with me as one of the better movies of the 70s and finally rewatching it, my opinion is confirmed. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 12/27/2020 at 9:19 AM, Ilov80s said:

Finally saw Scott Pilgrim vs The World as I know a lot of people consider that a classic as this point. The look of it was cool, loved the Unversal logo/theme done in an old Nintendo style but the movie was god awful. I stopped halfway through. It was a total Cringefest sponsored by ADHD. 

I don’t think it ages well but still a favorite of mine.

• Like 1

Looking over the "New to Me" movies from 2020 (I watched a lot of damn movies this year with the lockdowns and COVID). I will do a brief countdown here of top 25 favorite movies I saw for the first time this year. Some are new, some are very old. Some were huge holes and I still can't believe it took me until 2020 to see some of these. 

Here's the 25 honorable mentions:

• Waiting for Guffman   - An Autumn Afternoon
  • The Informer (1935)   - Leave Her to Heaven
  • Frost/Nixon                     - In This Our Life 
  • Pale Flower                      - Mother (2009)
  • Good Time                       - Underworld U.S.A. 
  • The Long Gray Line    - Little Women (2019)
  • Into the Spiderverse       - Destry Rides Again
  • Nice Guys               - When We Were Kings
  • Paper Moon                     - Moneyball
  • Big Wednesday               - Le Bonheur (1966)
  • Yojimbo                            - Orpheus
  • Brazil                                 - Gone Girl
  • Portrait of a Lady on Fire

I would highly recommend any of those movies 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1

25. The Leopard (1965)- Slow paced and featuring the weird European thing where the actors are speaking multiple languages and it's getting dubbed over but this epic story of the unification of Italy plays out like a prequel to The Godfather series with it's focus on the impact felt by Sicilians. Epic, lavish and striking to look at but it's not for people without patience. There is literally a single ballroom scene that is over an hour where no plot development whatsoever happens. It is just there so we can absorb the atmosphere and experience the characters. Stand outs: Burt Lancaster, Claudia Cardinale and filming on location of real Italian palaces and castles. 

24. Da 5 Bloodz (2020)- I am a big fan of movies that manage to do multiple things. Da 5 Bloodz is part hangout movie, part action flick, part epic quest and part war film A little bit of everything happens here and as Spike always does, he makes it stylish. The real strength of the film though are the performances. The old soldiers reuniting 50 years after their service in Vietnam feels like old friends just hanging out and it's a blast going a long for the ride. Stand outs: Delroy Lindo and Jonathan Majors. 

23. Elmer Gantry (1960)- It's easy to see why Burt Lancaster won the Best Actor Oscar for this, he's captivating as the title character: a con man who becomes involved with a beautiful evangelist. This movie is as dark and cynical as anything made today. It's downright acidic. Stand outs: Burt Lancaster and director Richard Brooks for his textbook example of how to adapt a novel. 

22. Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (1988)-  a borderline slapstick comedy with a Billy Wilder touch as despite the chaos, the story is quite serious with suicide, philandering and terrorism all playing a role in the madness. Very funny seeing a young Antonio Banderas playing a very non-Banderas role. Standouts: Director Pedro Almovodor's light touch and Carmen Maura. 

21. Come and See (1985): Another war is total hell story. It's really well done and has an Apocalypse Now like fantastical element to it. While it's told from the side of the a Belarusian village boy who faces NAZI occupation, it's overall themes have been done maybe a bit too much for me to be totally knocked out by it. It is for sure a must see movie for any fan of the war genre. Stand outs: Literally everyone involved in making this as it really does feel like you've been transported to hell. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

25. The Leopard (1965)- Slow paced and featuring the weird European thing where the actors are speaking multiple languages and it's getting dubbed over but this epic of story of the unification of Italy plays out like a prequel to The Godfather series with it's focus on the impact felt by Sicilians. Epic, lavish and striking to look at but it's not for people without patience. There is literally a single ballroom scene that is over an hour where no plot development whatsoever happens. It is just there so we can absorb the atmosphere and experience the characters. Stand outs: Burt Lancaster, Claudia Cardinale and filming on location of real Italian palaces and castles. 

24. Da 5 Bloodz (2020)- I am a big fan of movies that manage to do multiple things. Da 5 Bloodz is part hangout movie, part action flick, part epic quest and part war film A little bit of everything happens here and as Spike always does, he makes it stylish. The real strength of the film though are the performances. The old soldiers reuniting 50 years after their service in Vietnam feels like old friends just hanging out and it's a blast going a long for the ride. Stand outs: Delroy Lindo and Jonathan Majors. 

23. Elmer Gantry (1960)- It's easy to see why Burt Lancaster won the Best Actor Oscar for this, he's captivating as the title character: a con man who becomes involved with a beautiful evangelist. This movie is as dark and cynical as anything made today. It's downright acidic. Stand outs: Burt Lancaster and director Richard Brooks for his textbook example of how to adapt a novel. 

22. Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (1988)-  a borderline slapstick comedy with a Billy Wilder touch as despite the chaos, the story is quite serious with suicide, philandering and terrorism all playing a role in the madness. Very funny seeing a young Antonio Banderas playing a very non-Banderas role. Standouts: Director Pedro Almovodor's light touch and Carmen Maura. 

21. Come and See (1985): Another war is total hell story. It's really well done and has an Apocalypse Now like fantastical element to it. While it's told from the side of the a Belarusian village boy who faces NAZI occupation, it's overall themes have been done maybe a bit too much for me to be totally knocked out by it. It is for sure a must see movie for any fan of the war genre. Stand outs: Literally everyone involved in making this as it really does feel like you've been transported to hell. 

i love you

Elmer Gantry is twice the movie that other Burt Lancaster creepy minister thingie which sucks and y'all love so much is. Women on the Verge is one of the dozen movies that literally rocked my world. will rewatch Leopard and watch the other two just cuz youre so right doing this *mwaa*

• Thanks 1

20. Written on the Wind (1956) It's melodramatic but in a knowing way. Ebert said it launched a new type of American irony. Not the Mark Twain kind but a more modern American kitsch that for better or worse became the norm. This is classic soap opera stuff- wealthy drunk who's sister is in love with his best friend but the best friend is in love with drunk's wife. Stand outs: Lauren Bacall, Dorothy Malone and the technicolor king, Douglas Sirk

19. The Young Girls of Rochefort (1967)-  Speaking of color, this movie is a pastel dream. It's really a love song to old Hollywood musicals. It's frivolous but I am a sucker for movies that deliver cheer with an underlying sense of sadness. Stand outs: Gene Kelly's song and dance, Catherine Deneuve charm, Michel Legrand's music and Demy's color obsession. 

18. I, Tonya (2017)- I went into this with low expectations. I assumed this would be a very dramatic straight forward telling of the Kerrigan attack. A basic, "remember when" movie. I was not expecting the amount of humor and pathos it generated around the scummy morons behind the attack. These people were unfortunate, pathetic and stupid while also being three dimensional and maybe even having decent intentions. Stand outs: Allison Janney and Paul Walter Hauser. 

17. Duck You Sucker aka Fistful of Dynamite aka Once Upon a Time in the Revolution (1971)-  This seems to be one of those movies (like The Leopard) that got a crappy US release and was  cut to pieces by the studio. Since then the original director's vision has been restored, this movie is getting more love. I can see why it has received a re-appraisal. Too many bad attempts at a title and a lack of Eastwood slowed it down but when the dust settles, this is a top 3 Sergio Leone western IMO and every bit as good as the other movies in the "Once Upon a Time..." trilogy. Stand outs: Morricone score and a great Charles Coburn/Rod Steiger combo.

16. Marriage Story (2019)- One of the big Oscar attempts from Netflix that has helped gain them some prestige from the critics. I get the criticism that the trailers set this up to be a 50/50 look at divorce but that the film is mostly from the husband's perspective. Writer-director Noah Baumbach is basically telling a true story of his life so it makes sense we see much more of his side of it. Great acting, laughs, tears. It felt very real and while it is obvious in how it would pull my strings, I didn't mind that one bit. Stand outs: Adam Driver, ScarJo, Laura Dern. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, wikkidpissah said:

i love you

Elmer Gantry is twice the movie that other Burt Lancaster creepy minister thingie which sucks and y'all love so much is. Women on the Verge is one of the dozen movies that literally rocked my world. will rewatch Leopard and watch the other two just cuz youre so right doing this *mwaa*

I guess the Leopard has 2 cuts. An American cut that the studio butchered and dubbed everyone into English. The preferred version is the European directors cut where it's longer and dubbed into Italian. I guess the American cut was a huge flop here while the directors cut that was released in Europe won the Palme 'd Or at Cannes so obviously make sure you get the right version if you look for it. 

4 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Looking over the "New to Me" movies from 2020 (I watched a lot of damn movies this year with the lockdowns and COVID). I will do a brief countdown here of top 25 favorite movies I saw for the first time this year. Some are new, some are very old. Some were huge holes and I still can't believe it took me until 2020 to see some of these. 

• Waiting for Guffman       - An Autumn Afternoon
  • The Informer (1935)      - Leave Her to Heaven
  • The Long Gray Line        - Little Women (2019)
  • Nice Guys                         - When We Were Kings

Big Wednesday isn''t perfect but the surfing sequences, soundtrack and cast are great.

Gone Girl was really good throughout most of it but had an astoundingly stupid final 15 minutes.

Edited by Mr. Mojo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo said:

Big Wednesday isn''t perfect but the surfing sequences, soundtrack and cast are great.

Gone Girl was really good throughout most of it but had an astoundingly stupid final 15 minutes.

I agree with both. Gone Girl really had me sucked into the mystery and twists/turns but the payoff didn't fully deliver. Still, I was riveted for 2.5 hours so that's worth something. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

• Waiting for Guffman       - An Autumn Afternoon
  • The Informer (1935)      - Leave Her to Heaven
  • The Long Gray Line        - Little Women (2019)
  • Nice Guys                         - When We Were Kings

Paper Moon is top 10 for me. Great great “road” story. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I agree with both. Gone Girl really had me sucked into the mystery and twists/turns but the payoff didn't fully deliver. Still, I was riveted for 2.5 hours so that's worth something. 

I watched it again last week and didn't mind the ending as much.   I take it as an F'd up reversal of the start of the movie and Amy's views about the relationship.  Instead of her being what Nick wanted, she finally gets to be her warped self and he is stuck with her that way.   For me the biggest eye roll is her still completely covered in blood through the interview until she got home.    Like you said - a helluva 2hrs+ before that point too though.  

• Like 2

Watched these last couple days that I had missed when they came out:

"Miss Sloan" -  Decent Aaron Sorkin knock off. Jennifer Chastain as a lobbyist. 

"The Ides of March" - Superstar cast. Clooney, Ryan Gosling, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Jeffrey Wright, Paul Giamatti, Marisa Tomei. Thought this was pretty great, not super ground breaking or anything but super well made. Don't even remember it coming out

• Like 2

Just watched "Freaky" with the kids....some sexual commentary definitely not appropriate for my 9yo, or 13yo tbh. Also some graphic gorey/killings that were a bit much for them as well. Should've researched this one more- was thinking it would be just a scarier version of the series. With Vince Vaughn I was hoping for funnier to, but the writing wasn't terribly good. Wouldn't recommend.

15. Mank (2020)-  as @KarmaPolice has said, I think you really need to know the backstory here to connect with this movie. The was a direct hit for me with the focus on Old Hollywood and US History. Plus Fincher is always such a good director. I liked it even better the 2nd viewing once I had a firm grasp on the story and could zero in on the great dialogue. Stand outs: Gary Oldman, Charles Dance and Amanda Seyfried. 

14.  The Shop on Main Street (1965)- A small Czech film that won the '65 Oscar for Best Foreign Film. Another WW2 movie- this time the story of Aryanization that took place in NAZI occupied Slovak States. Jews were no longer allowed to own and run businesses so Aryans would be put in charge to oversee the running of the Jewish businesses. Here a somewhat mild mannered and irresponsible Slovak man is put in charge of a struggling business owned by an old Jewish widow who is hard of hearing and somewhat senile. Realizing she has no understanding of what the NAZIs are doing, he attempts to protect her. Stand outs: The 2 Czech leads in this movie put on incredible performances

13. The Exterminating Angel (1962)- The plot is almost too silly to even comprehend how it qualifies for the plot of movie. A group of wealthy socialites get together for a cocktail party when they discover that for reasons which can not be explained, they are unable to leave. The surreal set-up may be silly but it's a serious critique of society- particularly the wealthy upper classes. Stand out: Luis Bunuel is the Dali of the the movies. 

12. JoJo Rabbit (2019)- The last movie I saw in a theater. It was crowded and the audience was really into the movie. I love a crowded theater- especially for a comedy. Things are always funnier in a group. This pulls off the high wire act of slapstick comedy about a very dark topic. Stand outs: The casting director for finding the 3 children to play the leads in this movie. The kids here all deliver memorable performances. 

11. Tangerine (2015)- Shot on an iPhone 5 with mostly non-actors, this movie is anything but the amateurish presentation it sounds like. It looks gorgeous and like the director's follow-up, The Florida Project, it's like being given full access into a hidden world that is both a little bit magical and very real. It is about transgendered hookers and their pimp, so that might not be the subject matter most people are looking for but its fantastic indie movie making. Stand outs: Sean Baker for making a movie look this good and hit this hard without any of the typical tools a movie maker would have at their disposal. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 4
  • Thinking 1

15 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

15. Mank (2020)-  as @KarmaPolice has said, I think you really need to know the backstory here to connect with this movie. The was a direct hit for me with the focus on Old Hollywood and US History. Plus Fincher is always such a good director. I liked it even better the 2nd viewing once I had a firm grasp on the story and could zero in on the great dialogue. Stand outs: Gary Oldman, Charles Dance and Amanda Seyfried. 

14.  The Shop on Main Street (1965)- A small Czech film that won the '65 Oscar for Best Foreign Film. Another WW2 movie- this time the story of Aryanization that took place in NAZI occupied Slovak States. Jews were no longer allowed to own and run businesses so Aryans would be put in charge to oversee the running of the Jewish businesses. Here a somewhat mild mannered and irresponsible Slovak man is put in charge of a struggling business owned by an old Jewish widow who is hard of hearing and somewhat senile. Realizing she has no understanding of what the NAZIs are doing, he attempts to protect her. Stand outs: The 2 Czech leads in this movie put on incredible performances

13. The Exterminating Angel (1962)- The plot is almost too silly to even comprehend how it qualifies for the plot of movie. A group of wealthy socialites get together for a cocktail party when they discover that for reasons which can not be explained, they are unable to leave. The surreal set-up may be silly but it's a serious critique of society- particularly the wealthy upper classes. Stand out: Luis Bunuel is the Dali of the the movies. 

12. JoJo Rabbit (2019)- The last movie I saw in a theater. It was crowded and the audience was really into the movie. I love a crowded theater- especially for a comedy. Things are always funnier in a group. This pulls off the high wire act of slapstick comedy about a very dark topic. Stand outs: The casting director for finding the 3 children to play the leads in this movie. The kids here all deliver memorable performances. 

11. Tangerine (2015)- Shot on an iPhone 5 with mostly non-actors, this movie is anything but the amateurish presentation it sounds like. It looks gorgeous and like the director's follow-up, The Florida Project, it's like being given full access into a hidden world that is both a little big magical but very real and very dirty. It is about transgendered hookers and their pimp, so that might not be the subject matter most people are looking for but its fantastic indie movie making. Stand outs: Sean Baker for making a movie look this good and hit this hard without any of the typical tools a movie maker would have at their disposal. 

JoJo Rabbit was the last movie I saw in a theater, too.  :cry: 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, krista4 said:

JoJo Rabbit was the last movie I saw in a theater, too.  :cry: 

Yorki: There are bigger things to worry about than Jews, Jojo. There's Russians somewhere out there. They're worse than anyone. I heard they eat babies and have sex with dogs. I mean like that's bad, right?

Jojo: Sex with dogs?

Yorki: Yeah. The Englishmen do it too. We have to stop them before they eat us and screw all our dogs.

:lmao:

• Laughing 2

2 hours ago, Don Quixote said:

Already a couple of movies in, but break out the Nick and Nora glasses.... Thin Man marathon on TCM today. 

And if you miss any today, they are all on Movies! Network Friday.

Young Jimmy Stewart in the second one. Shemp Howard sighting in the 3rd.

Their kid was played by Dean Stockwell

Edited by The Man With No Name
  • Like 2

I didn't pay much attention to the cast beforehand or at the beginning other than recognizing Orlando Bloom's name. It struck me as funny when I saw the one guy looking and acting like a young Clint Eastwood. And I recall thinking for a second that he could probably get away with playing him in an autobiographical movie. Then I saw his name in the closing credits and thought "No way"...so I quick looked him up. But sure enough Scott Eastwood is Clint Eastwood's kid. 

Back to my rankings of best films that were new to me in 2020. 

10. The Last Black Man in San Francisco (2019)- Unique, interesting and definitely not what one expects it to be. It's a look at gentrification and identity but it skips the usual tropes less talented film makers would have gone for. The opening few minutes are probably the best opening minutes of any film I've seen this year and is so good that it stands alone as a mini-film all by itself. Stand outs: That opening 3 minutes.

9. Wolf of Wall Street (2009)- To be honest on this one, I had seen lots of parts of it on TV or at a friends house but I had never sat down and watched it through. I get worried when movies get so hyped up but this managed to to deliver. It's every bit as fun and chaotic as I expected. Why are #######s so fun to spend time with in TV/movies? Stand outs: The one-two punch of Leo and Jonah both dialing it up to 100. 

8. Harlan County (2007)- I am not a big doc film fan. I don't watch many and when I do, I am rarely wowed. So this ranking reflects just how impressed I was with Harlan County. So engrossing, interesting, inspiring and downright terrifying. The clash between the company and the striking workers is deadly serious.  An essential must see movie for all Americans. Stand outs: The union women who are every bit as tough as the men, the great protest songs and the bravery of film maker Barbara Kopple.

7. Yi Yi (2000)- I don't know to pitch this movie to someone. It's a 3 hour long Taiwanese film about a family. The family goes through pretty normal stuff- marriage, bullying, business troubles, etc. It sounds mundane but this movie is special. I watched it a couple months ago and it's still with me. I can't explain it, all I can do is give this movie my most serious recommendation and borrow a quote from it:

“My uncle says we live three times as long since man invented movies.”
“How can that be?”
“It means movies give us twice what we get from daily life.”

Stand outs: Edward Yang's direction in his final film, he left the world with something rare 

6. La Dolce Vita (1960)- Even more than Yi-Yi, this has little plot. It is a lengthy episodic journey through hedonist, pop culture obsessed 1960's Rome. It's probably the coolest movie ever made.  I've seen a few Fellini movies but I need to do a deep dive since he's batting a thousand with me. Stand outs: Rome, the Trevi Fountain, Anita Eckberg in the Trevi Fountain and the invention of the paparazzi. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

38 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

6. La Dolce Vita (1960)- Even more than Yi-Yi, this has little plot. It is a lengthy episodic journey through hedonist, pop culture obsessed 1960's Rome. It's probably the coolest movie ever made.  I've seen a few Fellini movies but I need to do a deep dive since he's batting a thousand with me. Stand outs: Rome, the Trevi Fountain, Anita Eckberg in the Trevi Fountain and the invention of the paparazzi. 

I’m chronologically going through Criterion’s Essential Fellini box set that I got for Christmas. I’m in the middle of “I Vitelloni” — I’m not sure if you have seen that one. Similar with little plot, and character portraits of five 20-something youths in Italy with little direction in life. It reminds a bit of 1950s version of Swingers (but better — maybe it could be viewed as an ancestor of that type of film).

Edited by Don Quixote
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

I’m chronologically going through Criterion’s Essential Fellini box set that I got for Christmas. I’m in the middle of “I Vitelloni” — I’m not sure if you have seen that one. Similar with little plot, and character portraits of five 20-something youths in Italy with little direction in life. It reminds a bit of 1950s version of Swingers.

Yeah that one was cool. I've seen that, La Strada and 8 1/2. I am really interested to hear your thoughts on his movies once you've gotten through that box set. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Yeah that one was cool. I've seen that, La Strada and 8 1/2. I am really interested to hear your thoughts on his movies once you've gotten through that box set. 

I will say that the 4K restorations are great so far. From the beginning of the set, I’ve fully watched Variety Lights and The White Sheik so far.  Both were good movies, but probably more notable for being his first movies as directors (Variety Lights as co-director, and White Sheik as co-director).

I’ve only seen the same ones as you from his library. Looking forward to getting a bit deeper into some other ones like Nights of Cabiria, Amarcord, Juliet of the Spirits, Il Bidone, and the “Toby Dammit” short.

Edited by Don Quixote
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I would yell, "arrivata Zampano!", every time my good friend would walk into a room. 

We don't talk much any more.

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, Don Quixote said:

I’m chronologically going through Criterion’s Essential Fellini box set that I got for Christmas. I’m in the middle of “I Vitelloni” — I’m not sure if you have seen that one. Similar with little plot, and character portraits of five 20-something youths in Italy with little direction in life. It reminds a bit of 1950s version of Swingers (but better — maybe it could be viewed as an ancestor of that type of film).

His wife Giulietta Masina was in some of his films - Variety Lights, La Strada, Il Bidone, Nights of Cabiria, Europe '51. 
They had a very long marriage.

• Like 1

5. Rome, Open City (1945)-  This is a far cry from the Rome Fellini filmed. Rossellini's Rome is a war zone. This story of the Italian underground fighting NAZI occupation is set apart from all other World War 2 movies in that it was filmed guerrilla style in the occupied city itself. It's as close to watching actual history as one can get. Stand outs: NAZI fighting kids and the non-actor citizens of Rome who played so many key roles in the film. 

4. Mad Max Fury Road (2015)- I am not especially into action movies and my interest level in seeing this was low but the hype couldn't be ignored. This is the perfect action movie. Just wall to wall incredible edge of your seat stuff. There isn't a dull moment in this thing. It won me over and then some. Stand outs: Director George Miller, the stunt coordinator and production design team. Everything about this looks incredible. 

3. Parasite (2019)- All the talk of this is still pretty fresh in everyone's minds so I will just add that I think in 5-10-20 years this will be a movie that people still talk about and point to as a classic. Stand outs: Bong's script that takes so many twists and turns

2. High and Low (1963)- Kurosawa's crime thriller might be the ultimate twists and turns film. All you need to know is it's about an attempt to kidnap the child of a wealthy executive for a ransom. From there, it is guaranteed to keep you guessing, weighing the decisions the characters must make. I prefer this to the samurai films Kurisawa and Mifune made. Stand outs: Kurosawa's perfect direction and Toshiro Mifune's greatest performance. 

1. Underground (1995)- This Palm d'Or winner from Serbian filmmaker Emir Kusturica is pure chaos. A madcap black comedy war fantasy about the 20th century history of Yugoslavia as told through the friendship of two nefarious common criminals/soldiers/is there a difference between the 2 here? A movie where literally anything can happen and pretty much does. I don't want to reveal anymore because it's best just to buckle up and go a long for the ride. Stand outs: Where to begin? Just look at this crazy thing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

5. Rome, Open City (1945)-  This is a far cry from the Rome Fellini filmed. Rossellini's Rome is a war zone. This story of the Italian underground fighting NAZI occupation is set apart from all other World War 2 movies in that it was filmed guerrilla style in the occupied city itself. It's as close to watching actual history as one can get. Stand outs: NAZI fighting kids and the non-actor citizens of Rome who played so many key roles in the film. 

4. Mad Max Fury Road (2015)- I am not especially into action movies and my interest level in seeing this was low but the hype couldn't be ignored. This is the perfect action movie. Just wall to wall incredible edge of your seat stuff. There isn't a dull moment in this thing. It won me over and then some. Stand outs: Director George Miller, the stunt coordinator and production design team. Everything about this looks incredible. 

3. Parasite (2019)- All the talk of this is still pretty fresh in everyone's minds so I will just add that I think in 5-10-20 years this will be a movie that people still talk about and point to as a classic. Stand outs: Bong's script that takes so many twists and turns

2. High and Low (1963)- Kurosawa's crime thriller might be the ultimate twists and turns film. All you need to know is it's about an attempt to kidnap the child of a wealthy executive for a ransom. From there, it is guaranteed to keep you guessing, weighing the decisions the characters must make. I prefer this to the samurai films Kurisawa and Mifune made. Stand outs: Kurosawa's perfect direction and Toshiro Mifune's greatest performance. 

1. Underground (1995)- This Palm d'Or winner from Serbian filmmaker Emir Kusturica is pure chaos. A madcap black comedy war fantasy about the 20th century history of Yugoslavia as told through the friendship of two nefarious common criminals/soldiers/is there a difference between the 2 here? A movie where literally anything can happen and pretty much does. I don't want to reveal anymore because it's best just to buckle up and go a long for the ride. Stand outs: Where to begin? Just look at this crazy thing.

Thanks for opening your thoughts on these films. Lot of work for you but work you love.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

ooof - not you too!  ;) 

• Laughing 1

8 hours ago, Moonlight said:

Thanks for opening your thoughts on these films. Lot of work for you but work you love.

I’ve had way more time on my hands this years relative to most so I’ve been both watching and keeping track of what I’ve watched in some ways just to pass the time. 

On 12/23/2020 at 8:09 PM, belljr said:

I've heard this from a lot of people, even Nolan fans.  It's confusing just for the sake of it

Few things in life have made me as angry as Tenet. I wanted to punch Nolan in the face after sitting through it. 

There's a reasonable theory going around that Nolan is actually going deaf and refuses to admit it. Since he has scripts memorized, he doesn't notice that his sound mix is unintelligible, plots are impossible to follow, and the actors are mumbling. 

I might have to choose to believe that, rather than the alternative... which would be that he's just stupid and a scam artist that has somehow has tricked movie studios in to giving him money. 

17 hours ago, Don Quixote said:

i envy you. enjoying Fellini organically is the most important cinematic experience i missed out on. he was foisted upon me as a master and one can easily imagine how your humble servant would react to that kind of thing. i took all the flourishes for fetishes and just found the stuff boorish and forced when all it was was a family-style tasting menu instead of prix fixe.

i didnt regret that so much until i talked to my cousin after he made Nine (a musical "version" of 8 1/2). he insisted on shooting it at Cinecitta and recreating the finale set. he told me all the Fellini holdover elements made him feel like he was going back to square one as a filmmaker. of course, he went on to make a perfectly breezy, linear Amalfi hipster hodgepodge of a movie, but.............

i'd like to reset w FF, but i dont think i can. enjoy -

• Like 2

Awards season time. Obviously a strange year...includes all movies including streamed. I haven't seen a single one of these. :kicksrock: The National Society of Film Critics (picked Parasite last year):

Best Picture:

WINNER: NOMADLAND (52 points)

RUNNERS-UP:

FIRST COW (50 points)

NEVER RARELY SOMETIMES ALWAYS (41 points)

Director:

WINNER: Chloé Zhao, NOMADLAND (58 points)

RUNNERS-UP:

Steve McQueen, SMALL AXE (41 points)

Kelly Reichardt, FIRST COW (30 points)

Actress:

WINNER: Best Actress: Frances McDormand, NOMADLAND (46 points)

RUNNERS-UP:

Viola Davis, MA RAINEY’S BLACK BOTTOM (33 points) S
Sidney Flanigan, NEVER RARELY SOMETIMES ALWAYS (29 points)
Actor:

WINNER: Best Actor: Delroy Lindo, DA 5 BLOODS (52 points)

RUNNERS-UP:

Chadwick Boseman, MA RAINEY’S BLACK BOTTOM (47 points)

Riz Ahmed, SOUND OF METAL (32 points)

Supporting Actress:

WINNER: Best Supporting Actress, Maria Bakalova, BORAT SUBSEQUENT MOVIEFILM (47 points)

RUNNERS-UP:

Amanda Seyfried, MANK (40 points)

Youn Yuh-jung, MINARI (33 points)

Supporting Actor:

WINNER: Best Supporting Actor: Paul Raci, SOUND OF METAL (53 points)

RUNNER-UPS:

Glynn Turman, MA RAINEY’S BLACK BOTTOM (36 points)

Chadwick Boseman, DA 5 BLOODS (35 points)

Screenplay:

WINNER: Best Screenplay: Eliza Hittman, NEVER RARELY SOMETIMES ALWAYS (38 points)

RUNNERS-UP:

Jon Raymond and Kelly Reichardt, FIRST COW (35 points)
Charlie Kaufman, I’M THINKING OF ENDING THINGS (29 points)
Non-Fiction Film:

Cinematography:

WINNER: Best Cinematography: Joshua James Richards, NOMADLAND (47 points)

RUNNERS-UP:

Shabier Kirchner, LOVERS ROCK (41 points)
Leonardo Simões, VITALINA VARELA (34 points)
Foreign-Language Film:

WINNER: COLLECTIVE (38 points) Runners-up:

RUNNERS-UP:

BACURAU and BEANPOLE (36 points)

VITALINA VARELA (32 points)

Non-fiction Film:

WINNER: TIME (46 points)

RUNNERS-UP:

CITY HALL (28 points)

COLLECTIVE (22 points)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

Awards season time. Obviously a strange year...includes all movies including streamed. I haven't seen a single one of these. :kicksrock: The National Society of Film Critics (picked Parasite last year):

I think a lot of those are on streaming now if you are interested in catching up with them.  First Cow is rental the last time I looked, and I haven't seen Nomadland pop up yet, but a handful of the others you can watch depending on what services you have:  Never Rarely Sometimes Always, Sound of Metal, Da 5 Bloods, Mank, Borat, Small Axe.  

Weird year for movies and award season for sure.   Doesn't the Oscar qualifying season run for a couple more months?