Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition

7 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

1. Yeah. Rope is a good movie and the whole one cut thing works pretty well IMO. It's a stunt and I don't think it really adds to the movie the way it does in 1917. 

2. Strangers is one of my favorites of his. Robert Walker is one of the best villains of that era. Also, what was with Hitch and tennis players? Strangers, Dial M for Murder. I am sure that is where Woody Allen got his inspiration for Match Point. 

3. How was TMWKTM? 

4. I've got Topaz DVR'd to watch tonight. It isn't supposed to  be good but I've seen so Hitch films, might as well try to catch as many as possible. 

2.  That is a great thought on Match Point.  Absolutely must be.

3.  I would have sworn I'd seen it before, but I remembered zero of the movie to the point where I'm convinced I was wrong.  Perhaps I mixed it up with Bill Murray's "The Man Who Knew Too Little."  I kid.  In any case, I enjoyed it but less than Strangers on a Train and not even as much as Rope.  It was interesting to me that Jimmy Stewart was basically a doofus, while Doris Day figured everything out.  Good plot but not as suspenseful as the others.

4.  How was Topaz?  I've never seen it.

xyz.  Last night I watched "Throne of Blood," as I also had a bunch of Kurosawa recorded and that was the only one I hadn't seen before.  I'd read it inspired "Star Wars" but will have to read more to understand that connection.  Clearly a Macbeth adaptation, and well done as always.  Not as compelling as some of Kurosawa's best, though.  Maybe because it was less than two hours long!  :lol: 

Edited by krista4
  • Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know those movies aren't really about him, right?

The Accountant.  I think this may have been a great movie.  I'm tempted to go there.

so THAT'S why i never see you at our Paint Your Wagon discussion groups...

22 minutes ago, krista4 said:

3.  I would have sworn I'd seen it before, but I remembered zero of the movie to the point where I'm convinced I was wrong.  Perhaps I mixed it up with Bill Murray's "The Man Who Knew Too Little."  I kid.  In any case, I enjoyed it but less than Strangers on a Train and not even as much as Rope.  It was interesting to me that Jimmy Stewart was basically a doofus, while Doris Day figured everything out.  Good plot but not as suspenseful as the others.

xyz.  Last night I watched "Throne of Blood," as I also had a bunch of Kurosawa recorded and that was the only one I hadn't seen before.  I'd read it inspired "Star Wars" but will have to read more to understand that connection.  Clearly a Macbeth adaptation, and well done as always.  Not as compelling as some of Kurosawa's best, though.  Maybe because it was less than two hours long!  :lol: 

Isn't it Hidden fortress that inspired Star Wars?

5 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Both, from what I'd read.

ETA:  I should mention I use "Star Wars" to mean the entire series.  I just think of them all as "Star Wars."  The two films supposedly inspired different parts of the series.

ETA2:  Here's an explanation from dorks.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, krista4 said:

Topaz was a total bore. Its a Cold War spy movie with Americans, Russians, French and Cubans. I had trouble paying attention it was so boring. 

Throne of Blood is one of my favorite Kurosawa’s. I love the clever adaptation and the ending is incredible. From what I’ve read that ending was pretty dangerous to film. He has a big padded chest protector on but other than that it’s just actual archers shooting at him.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Insofar as it has a kidnapped princess and two bumbling comic relief characters.

5 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Topaz was a total bore. Its a Cold War spy movie with Americans, Russians, French and Cubans. I had trouble paying attention it was so boring. 

Yes. Yes it was. I had to watch the trailer again to remember if I'd actually watched it. 

Watched Spiderman Into the Spiderverse last night and was underwhelmed.  Was expecting much more from it. Fast forwarded though much of the last 15 minutes because I wanted to go to bed.  Way over-rated IMO.  I watched Dark Phoenix on the weekend and enjoyed it more.  Of course my expectations were much lower but I found it more entertaining.

I'm weird, I know

11 minutes ago, falguy said:

Watched Spiderman Into the Spiderverse last night and was underwhelmed.  Was expecting much more from it. Fast forwarded though much of the last 15 minutes because I wanted to go to bed.  Way over-rated IMO.  I watched Dark Phoenix on the weekend and enjoyed it more.  Of course my expectations were much lower but I found it more entertaining.

I'm weird, I know

I don't know how much more there could BE in Spiderverse.

13 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

I don't know how much more there could BE in Spiderverse.

I mean, my expectation was that it would be 9 out of 10 like almost every review.  I didn't feel that way when it ended.  It was funny at times, I'll give it that but by the end I didn't really care. :shrug:  

6 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Throne of Blood is one of my favorite Kurosawa’s. I love the clever adaptation and the ending is incredible. From what I’ve read that ending was pretty dangerous to film. He has a big padded chest protector on but other than that it’s just actual archers shooting at him.

Wow, I thought the ending was incredible but even more so now!

51 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

Just watched "Shot Caller", not sure how I've missed it the past few years.

What a pleasant surprise.  Highly recommended for those interested in crime/action genre.

Just added to my Netflix queue, based on your recommendation.

On top of Wonder Woman 1984 which will be available on HBO Max Christmas Day in 4K UHD HDR Atmos etc, Warner Brothers just announced all of their 2021 releases will be simultaneously released to theaters and HBO Max. That includes Suicide Squad, Dune, Matrix 4, etc.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

On top of Wonder Woman 1984 which will be available on HBO Max Christmas Day in 4K UHD HDR Atmos etc, Warner Brothers just announced all of their 2021 releases will be simultaneously released to theaters and HBO Max. That includes Suicide Squad, Dune, Matrix 4, etc.

Intrigued 

55 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

This is being seen as one of the biggest developments (for better or worse) in movie history 

I assume you listened to the emergency Big Picture episode, or are going to?

I have lots of swirling opinions and emotions about this.   When I step back and really be honest - hell, I am not going to the theater more than 3x a year, and yes - usually it's for Star Wars, Marvel, or Christopher Nolan.   Some piece of that is I don't have too easy of an access to a decent theater that shows much else, but a lot of that is money and time with a young one in the house.   So I think that the idea and nostalgia of the theater experience is stronger for me than the reality.   

Now, what I am more worried about is the quality, not the location me viewing it.  I guess this is what we will see over time, but I have been very rarely blown away by something that is a streaming service original movie.  (as admitted before, I am also a little behind in viewing some too).    Marriage Story is one that does stick out.   There are already big name actors and directors working in this medium, so maybe the drop won't be as bad as I expect. 

The other thing that I do worry about a bit is that if it becomes popular, do the sub fees start jacking up a bit because of this feature?   Instead of having 4-5 services for around $10 each, are they going to jump up to $20-30?  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

@Ilov80s - how stoked are you for Mank tomorrow?

I am super excited and I have the whole new set up that I talked about in the 4k thread. My friend and I have been talking about this for months now. We had planned for him and his wife to come over for dinner/drinks/movie in my new basement set-up. However, he did go see his family for Thanksgiving and his family is questionable when it comes to COVID. So much so that when my friend's dad hired one our good friends from HS to do an estimate on a kitchen remodel, he told our HS buddy "take off your mask in my house- you look like a GD criminal". So my wife and I are thinking just to be on the safe side of offering to push Mank back to next weekend. I will wait if that's what they want. If not, I'll be watching Friday night for sure. 

1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

I assume you listened to the emergency Big Picture episode, or are going to? Part of it 

I have lots of swirling opinions and emotions about this.   When I step back and really be honest - hell, I am not going to the theater more than 3x a year, and yes - usually it's for Star Wars, Marvel, or Christopher Nolan.   Some piece of that is I don't have too easy of an access to a decent theater that shows much else, but a lot of that is money and time with a young one in the house.   So I think that the idea and nostalgia of the theater experience is stronger for me than the reality.    I wasn't going more than a couple times a year but 2019 I think I saw a 10-15 movies in the theater. I do love the theater and the experience but also part of the reason for investing in the  new tv, reciever, etc was the expectation that the theater is mostly going to be a thing of the past. 

Now, what I am more worried about is the quality, not the location me viewing it.  I guess this is what we will see over time, but I have been very rarely blown away by something that is a streaming service original movie.  (as admitted before, I am also a little behind in viewing some too).    Marriage Story is one that does stick out.   There are already big name actors and directors working in this medium, so maybe the drop won't be as bad as I expect. I thought Irishman, Marriage Story were as good as anything that came to theaters. As long as people still watch and demand things like Once Upon a Time, JoJo, Parasite then I think they will still have a market through NF, Max, Prime, Hulu, etc. At least I hope so. I agree the quality hasn't been great so far but I think that is partly because the traditional movie route still was king and streamers were trying to claw their way in. We now have Scorsese, Baumbach, Spike Lee, Fincher making streaming movies so the heavy hitters on here and that should be a good sign of future quality. I mean f'n Dune is going to debut on a streamer- that's crazy. 

The other thing that I do worry about a bit is that if it becomes popular, do the sub fees start jacking up a bit because of this feature?   Instead of having 4-5 services for around $10 each, are they going to jump up to $20-30?  That is pretty much a guarantee in 3-5 years but hopefully it comes with a bit of a consolidation of services and an increase in quality. 

Also I have thought about doing one of those rather lame countdown threads of top 100 crime movies. I've got about 20 that I feel I need to see before attempting to really make the list. Maybe I will make that a priority for 2021.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Also I have thought about doing one of those rather lame countdown threads of top 100 crime movies. I've got about 20 that I feel I need to see before attempting to really make the list. Maybe I will make that a priority for 2021.

:hot: 

• Laughing 4
6 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Lol.  

All the cool kids have one.  Like 80s said, I feel like I am about 30-40 to finish the 2nd 1/2  of my 2010s, but had thought about doing a 90 one for S&Gs since I know hilarity will ensue with my rankings and what won't be on them.  

7 hours ago, krista4 said:

Yours was the original that started the trend. Hell you ended up on the radio, that’s pretty cool. The countdown threads got pretty derivative though. We ended up with the countdown of the “Next 100 Best  Songs of November 1973 that weren’t mentioned in X’s Next Best 100 Songs of November 1973”. 

Logged back into Criterion Channel last week.  At the end of the day, even if I have HBO, I am fine skipping a couple coffees a month and giving Criterion some $ too.  I have been slowly going through the Observations On Film Art series.    Basically just a short "class" on different aspects of film - score, POV, editing, etc.   But a lot of the examples they are using are movies that I haven't seen, so I thought that would be a fun way to slowly go through some movies that I haven't seen.  First was Foreign Correspondent  and score and then editing with Sanshiro Sugata.    Next is landscape with a couple Kiarostami movies.    I also added their series of New Korean Cinema and 70s Horror to the queue along with a handful of random stuff.  

Of course last night instead of any of that, I ended up getting sucked into Fargo (the movie) for the umpteenth time.   

I will also say, that some of the old movies look really rough on the new TV.  I am assuming a bit of that is the non-4K from Criterion and basically being a HD picture of a grainy old movie that might show the warts more?

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Figured you'd like that. 

For this one it's 2 movies:  Taste of Cherry  and Where Is the Friend's House? 

Believe it or not, I haven’t seen the second one.  Taste of Cherry is phenomenal.  

Been on a movie kick, so I think I've watched 4 in the last couple days.    I was also listening to The Big Picture podcast today with their top 5 movies of 2020, and wrote that list for ideas, so I thought I would share in case people have opinions or are looking for something to watch:

HBO Max:  Never Rarely Sometimes Always and David Byrne's American Utopia

Prime:  The Vast of Night, Time, and Small Axe ( I guess this is a series of 5 movies from Steve McQueen who did 12 Years A Slave) 

Hulu:  Palm Springs, Happiest Season

Shudder:  Host

Criterion:  Vitalina Varela

Rentals on Prime:  First Cow ($4.99), The Nest ($3.99), and ####house ($6.99)

Apple TV+ :  Boys State

Plus a couple others that aren't out yet:  Nomadland and Soul.  

I have seen only 3 with varying degrees of enjoyment, but am really interested in a few others.  Mostly Small Axe, The Nest (by the director of Martha Marcy May Marlene), and the 2 HBO titles.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Random movie thoughts

- 2001 on 4K looks so sharp, can barely believe it. I saw the Nolan 70 mm screenings a year or 2 ago and now after seeing this 4K, I finally fully get the difference between digital and film/analog. 

- The Irishman 3rd viewing just keeps revealing how good this damn movie it, there is 1 change I would make and other than that, it's perfection

- Richard Widmark in Kiss of Death is a hell of a film debut

- The Desk Set is the best Hepburn-Tracy vehicle 

11 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Random movie thoughts

- 2001 on 4K looks so sharp, can barely believe it. I saw the Nolan 70 mm screenings a year or 2 ago and now after seeing this 4K, I finally fully get the difference between digital and film/analog. 

- The Irishman 3rd viewing just keeps revealing how good this damn movie it, there is 1 change I would make and other than that, it's perfection

- Richard Widmark in Kiss of Death is a hell of a film debut

- The Desk Set is the best Hepburn-Tracy vehicle 

You churning out this stuff, and found myself watching Godzilla:  King of Monsters last night.  :lol:   I was morbidly fascinated by the laundry list of favorite actors that I just had to watch.  

Still haven't gotten to Tenet.  

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Random movie thoughts

Is Al Pacino still playing Jack Kervorkian in it?

1 hour ago, wikkidpissah said:

Is Al Pacino still playing Jack Kervorkian in it?

Maybe the fact that I’m too young or have ever really seen Hoffa in action is in my favor but I love the crazy over the top performance from Pacino in this role. 

13 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Don't know anyone who watched it yet.  

You weren't a fan? 

I didn't hate it. Well crafted and filmed. but it had as much resonance as to make me completely forget I'd seen it. So I guess not a fan, no. I also found the lead character devoid of pretty much anything...couldn't say whether it was the writing, directing or acting- but a big meh imo.

A staple repeat watch of mine growing up was Strange Brew, the Bob and Doug McKenzie flick from 1983.

Thought I'd give it a rewatch as it had been ages since my last one, and brought my teenaged boys along for the viewing ride.

The movie is incredibly dated (and was even in its time in terms of cheesy -- and likely purposefully so -- effects and humor). but still holds up well in terms of being a fun and entertaining hour and half of silliness, offset perfectly by the truly frightening edge of Max von Sydow. 

• Like 1