What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (3 Viewers)

Any recommendations for a movie night with wife (streaming from home, I should mention)? She rejected stuff like One Night in Miami, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, or something from my Fellini set because she has limited taste.

I sense she’s in the mood for a comedy — Jo Jo, Parasite, and Death of Stalin would describe recent stuff that both of us liked.  I realize not every movie can be like those, but any ideas on some under the radar picks from recent flicks?

ETA: Ended up watching Bill & Ted Face the Music. All that is really has going for it is nostalgia, and Anthony Carrigan was pretty good in his role. Otherwise, meh.
We recently watched 40 Year-Old Version, and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. 

Also, not a movie, but a series, but: The Great was FANTASTIC. Again, I didn't think I would like it; I don't usually go for period stuff. But that dude from the X-Men KILLED it. Hazzah!

I really need to see that one.
Me too!

Watched Promising Young Woman tonight.  Sheeeeesh.  Has anyone discussed this yet?  It's rough.  Overall a superb movie, but rough and not without flaws.  Carey Mulligan deserves every award ever created, and probable some new ones made especially for this, for her performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me too!

Watched Promising Young Woman tonight.  Sheeeeesh.  Has anyone discussed this yet?  It's rough.  Overall a superb movie, but rough and not without flaws.  Carey Mulligan deserves every award ever created, and probable some new ones made especially for this, for her performance.
Not yet but it’s on my list as well

1/2 way through Terminator Dark Fate.  Meh, but I will watch the rest, which I guess means its a step up from the one with the Queen of Dragons. 

I’ve only seen 2 Terminator movies and I plan to keep it that way 
It did get me thinking about series that had epic starts that went south quickly.   I think Terminator and Aliens have to be toward the top of last list.   I don't think I hated 3 or the idea of the story.   4 I remember seeing in the theater and disliking a bit, and 5 I didn't make it much more than 1 hour into.  

The Terminator movies post and including Judgement Day all have a fatal flaw - casting.

Edward Furlong did his absolute best to wreck T2, but the movie is so awesome it overcomes him anyway.

Nick Stahl is awful, but Claire Danes compensates enough that I think T3 is worth watching.

Salvation was awful in every way. The story was terrible. But I'll just say it...even Christian Bale made it worse. And I like Sam Worthington but he was bad too.

Genisys was the worst of the lot because...didn't anyone notice in screen testing that Jai Courtney is the worst actor of all time?

Dark Fate had its moments...but Linda Hamilton is now a cartoon version of Sarah and Mackenzie Davis is the Nick Stahl of this movie. 

The Terminator movies post and including Judgement Day all have a fatal flaw - casting.

Edward Furlong did his absolute best to wreck T2, but the movie is so awesome it overcomes him anyway.

Nick Stahl is awful, but Claire Danes compensates enough that I think T3 is worth watching.

Salvation was awful in every way. The story was terrible. But I'll just say it...even Christian Bale made it worse. And I like Sam Worthington but he was bad too.

Genisys was the worst of the lot because...didn't anyone notice in screen testing that Jai Courtney is the worst actor of all time?

Dark Fate had its moments...but Linda Hamilton is now a cartoon version of Sarah and Mackenzie Davis is the Nick Stahl of this movie. 
Great points, and I can't argue much with anything in here.   Like you, I think I found 3 more watchable than most, and I feel I am in the minority that thinks Emilia Clarke is just as bad of an actor and she made Genisys worse for me.  Maybe it's because I already knew Jai was terrible and this was just conformation of what I thought while watching GoT.  

Hamilton was terrible in DF.  I think if we didn't have Arnold in there, I was getting just about ready to tap out from "meh"ness.  He had some of the best lines for the series in a long time.  

I am reliable, I'm a very good listener and I'm extremely funny.

Him rambling about the drapes for a kids room.  :lol:   

Anyway, sad to see a great idea for a series of movies go south like this.  I assume since Salvation was just a bust they just said F-it and are basically just rehashing T2 plots and beats for this last one instead of trying something original.  

Pretty much agree here.. I was Really.. REALLY disappointed, at how badly they screwed up with Salvation.. After Judgement all I kept thinking was "I wish they'd make one showing us the Future world". 

After watching that :tfp:  I wanted to take my wish back.

The Dead Don't Die

That so many big name actors signed on to do this garbage project diminishes them all in my eyes. 

It makes the general idea of watching movies just less appealing.

I thought I knew what I was getting into - I was wrong. It was so much worse. If this is really supposed to be an example of postmodernism, then that philosophy can be judged as vapid, dull, and terminally unclever.

Selena Gomez sure is pretty, though.

confused on if movies should go in the Netflix thread lol

I so wanted to like Outside the WIre on Netflix.... I enjoyed the first half to 2/3rds - it just got lost along the way

The Dead Don't Die

That so many big name actors signed on to do this garbage project diminishes them all in my eyes. 

It makes the general idea of watching movies just less appealing.

I thought I knew what I was getting into - I was wrong. It was so much worse. If this is really supposed to be an example of postmodernism, then that philosophy can be judged as vapid, dull, and terminally unclever.

Selena Gomez sure is pretty, though.
You and I don't agree on a ton with movies, but I am not far behind you on this one.   I have been trying to get through this one over the last few nights.   I got a couple chuckles at the beginning, but got irritated and bored quickly, and I think I am just about done with Tilda Swinton.  I get that she can act, but for me it's a strong mix of annoyance and creeped out when she is on screen.   Anyway, I am about 1 hour in and I don't think I have the motivation to continue on with it.  

Instead, last night I switched to Eddie Murphy Raw.  

Palmer - This is the new JT movie on Apple +. It was ok. The acting was very good. The story was pretty slow - reserved. I have to admit - I hadn't read much and so was expecting a kind of action movie. But its not that. Its just kind of a slow, depressing drama. That is well acted.

I just watched The Little Things on HBO Max. I was entertained but I felt there should have been more. Such a great cast. Don't get me wrong it was good but I was expecting more.

I love Denzel. It looks like HBO Max put up a lot of his flicks with the release of this new one.

Watched Sound of Metal tonight primarily based on KP's review - had it on my list but moved it up given the huge praise.  

And holy ####, was he right.  This movie had me entranced and enraptured from moment one, and sadly made me feel on the verge of tears throughout, too.  I think Never Rarely Sometimes Always had the biggest gut-punch of emotion in movies I've seen this year, but this one beats it for the slow burn.  That lead actor, as well as the "mentor," are just mesmerizing.  Each of them acts with his eyes more than anything else, which is about as good as it can get.  This movie is so...human.  Just human and beautiful.  I hated the deaf community he stayed in at first, thinking it seemed cult-like, but then it all made sense.

Another thing I loved is that there are no good guys and bad guys in this movie.  Everyone is flawed but doing their best.  Everyone has something hopeful in them but also demons to face.  It's just so, again...human.

This is truly a movie that anyone should love.

Watched Sound of Metal tonight primarily based on KP's review - had it on my list but moved it up given the huge praise.  

And holy ####, was he right.  This movie had me entranced and enraptured from moment one, and sadly made me feel on the verge of tears throughout, too.  I think Never Rarely Sometimes Always had the biggest gut-punch of emotion in movies I've seen this year, but this one beats it for the slow burn.  That lead actor, as well as the "mentor," are just mesmerizing.  Each of them acts with his eyes more than anything else, which is about as good as it can get.  This movie is so...human.  Just human and beautiful.  I hated the deaf community he stayed in at first, thinking it seemed cult-like, but then it all made sense.

Another thing I loved is that there are no good guys and bad guys in this movie.  Everyone is flawed but doing their best.  Everyone has something hopeful in them but also demons to face.  It's just so, again...human.

Some of the things that have stuck with me from the movie are the small interactions with people from that community- discussing the tattoo he gave the other woman, drumming with the kid, etc... 

Some of the things that have stuck with me from the movie are the small interactions with people from that community- discussing the tattoo he gave the other woman, drumming with the kid, etc... 
Yes!  I think a lesser movie would have tried to set up more conflict, having him rebel against the community.  Seeing him slowly finding his way in those types of moments was so much more realistic and satisfying.

As I think of it more, this is the movie I’ve been waiting for from 2020.  Every year there are some movies I really love, but it seems like there’s that one that just blows me TF away.  Last year Parasite.  The year before was Roma.  2017 had many fantastic movies but I could never get Call Me By Your Name out of my head.  This year I’ve seen a lot of great movies but think I hadn’t found “the one” until now.

I think I will check this out tonight. As someone who is going deaf I had been avoiding it but I am hearing (no pun intended) to many good things about it.

Yes!  I think a lesser movie would have tried to set up more conflict, having him rebel against the community.  Seeing him slowly finding his way in those types of moments was so much more realistic and satisfying.

As I think of it more, this is the movie I’ve been waiting for from 2020.  Every year there are some movies I really love, but it seems like there’s that one that just blows me TF away.  Last year Parasite.  The year before was Roma.  2017 had many fantastic movies but I could never get Call Me By Your Name out of my head.  This year I’ve seen a lot of great movies but think I hadn’t found “the one” until now.
I think this is what too many movies get wrong.   Most of our connections with people are short lived - an interaction with a clerk, some conversation you had at a party, a look you get from an attractive person, on and on.   Movies are too focus on those big ideas and gestures that they don't take the time to get these small interactions and looks correct. This movie nails those small interactions. 

KarmaPolice said:
I think this is what too many movies get wrong.   Most of our connections with people are short lived - an interaction with a clerk, some conversation you had at a party, a look you get from an attractive person, on and on.   Movies are too focus on those big ideas and gestures that they don't take the time to get these small interactions and looks correct that this movie nails.  
Absolutely.  And in this one, even the "big" moments are appropriately small. It's hard to talk too much about it without spoiling, but there's the part with the line "It's OK."  Just that - it's OK.  Not some huge blowout or overwrought emotional statement; yet just the "it's OK" was more of a gut punch to me than something "bigger" would have been.

Finally checked out Sound of Metal and while I didn’t love it as much as Krista, it’s really quite good. Deftly balances dark and might, fear and or, desperation and purpose. I’m not sure I caught the flaw KP was hinting at.

prosopis said:
I just watched The Little Things on HBO Max. I was entertained but I felt there should have been more. Such a great cast. Don't get me wrong it was good but I was expecting more.

I love Denzel. It looks like HBO Max put up a lot of his flicks with the release of this new one.
Oh it should have been so much more. Don't recommend it at all. Too slow. 

Oh it should have been so much more. Don't recommend it at all. Too slow. 
First WW, now this- maybe there is a reason they are trying this model with the movies this year.  How many were people anxiously waiting to see in the theater anyway. 

I enjoyed Sound of Metal. It did not touch me as as much as krista but I did become emotionally invested in some of the characters. I liked the ambiguous ending.

prosopis said:

It wanted so hard to be Seven---it tried and tried, but whereas, when Pitt and Freeman would do something smart, this movie did something dumb, 

It could have been so much better. 

Despite Sorkin being involved, I found Molly's Game to be a bit dull.   I watched the whole thing, but don't think I could give it much more than a 5/10.  

Oh, good point as I forgot to mention how much I loved the ending.  The fact it focused on him just a bit longer than a viewer could comfortably watch...mwauch.  :fingerkissestothesky:
Do you think he went back to the home? If he did, do you think they took him back in?

Oddly enough, I kind of want to see a sequel of Sound of Metal. It's not the kind of movie that gets one but I really liked the characters and there seems to be so much more ground to cover. 

Despite Sorkin being involved, I found Molly's Game to be a bit dull.   I watched the whole thing, but don't think I could give it much more than a 5/10.  
I watched that movie on a plane, back when planes were a thing.  Fine for a plane movie, snoozer otherwise.

Watched Ma Rainey's Black Bottom this weekend. Chadwick Boseman was pretty great in it, and Viola Davis was a standout  as well.  You can definitely tell the movie was adapted from a play, as kind of speechy. I think the performances in the movie made it worth watching more than the movie itself.

I finally got around to watching a movie on HBO Max that I’m almost embarrassed to say I hadn’t seen before. Violent as hell, super stylish and foreign. Blew me away- 5 stars for sure and if I do another best new to me for 2021, this will be tough to top.

You knew it was coming but damn why did they have to do Benny like that? By far the coolest hood. 

City of God 

prosopis said:

It was decent but very derivative of many other films. The ending saved it for me. I felt there was a clever little "twist" in there that made it worth watching.

Watched Truman Show with the kids (9&13). More slight and goofy than I remembered, especially after a generation of reality shows since. But still interesting and well done.. loved the produce placement. Most importantly, the kids both really enjoyed it and provoked some thought and conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread