What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (10 Viewers)

I watched Da 5 Bloods last night. It was pretty good, but not great.  Performances were a standout.  I do wish Spike Lee had a bit more subtlety.  At times I felt like "yeah, I get this is like Treasure of the Sierra Madre, they don't need to say the 'stinking badges' line to make sure I got it" or "yeah, I get this is like Apocalypse Now, you don't need to hang a big sign with the Apocalypse Now movie poster logo in the background to make sure I got it."  But I guess it would not be a Spike Lee joint then.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched Da 5 Bloods last night. It was pretty good, but not great.  Performances were a standout.  I do wish Spike Lee had a bit more subtlety.  At times I felt like "yeah, I get this is like Treasure of the Sierra Madre, they don't need to say the 'stinking badges' line to make sure I got it" or "yeah, I get this is like Apocalypse Now, you don't need to hang a big sign with the Apocalypse Now movie poster logo in the background to make sure I got it."  But I guess it would not be a Spike Lee joint then.
I thought on the opposite end of that, he handled the MAGA aspect very gracefully. 

Last night was The Matrix.  Tonight is either Matrix 2 or Taxi Driver.  :oldunsure:
I watched “a modern day Taxi Driver” last night in You Were Never Really Here. It was alright. Better than the Joker but no Taxi Driver. Great score from your guy Johnny Greenwood though.

I watched “a modern day Taxi Driver” last night in You Were Never Really Here. It was alright. Better than the Joker but no Taxi Driver. Great score from your guy Johnny Greenwood though.
That was an interesting movie. Beautifully shot and haunting in the approach and pacing with some good acting. Not great, but worth the watch if those kind of things appeal.

That was an interesting movie. Beautifully shot and haunting in the approach and pacing with some good acting. Not great, but worth the watch if those kind of things appeal.
Agree. I felt like it was as missing 30 minutes though. Just wasn’t enough there for me. All quick flashbacks never really went anywhere. I get it was more supposed to hint at how JP’s character ended up how he did. It was effective in that, it just all didn’t quite add up to a full story/movie to me.

Agree. I felt like it was as missing 30 minutes through. Just wasn’t enough there for me. All quick flashbacks never really went anywhere. I get it was more supposed to hint at how JP’s character ended up how he did. It was effective in that, it just all didn’t quite add up to and full story/movie to me.
Well said. More atmospheric than anything else, which can end being a little slight without more narrative 

Well said. More atmospheric than anything else, which can end being a little slight without more narrative 
I feel like that’s a common stylistic choice recently. Heavy atmosphere, heavy on actor really selling their anguish prolonged shots of just the actor by themselves visibly experiencing an emotion that we then feel. Light on plot and strong dialogue.

Last night was The Matrix.  Tonight is either Matrix 2 or Taxi Driver.  :oldunsure:
If you make two big "edits" it's not a terrible movie.

First, skip everything in Zion. It's talky, talky and the celebration of hedonistic humanity is simply silly.

Second, as beautiful as Monica B is, the stuff where she asks for "one kiss" and kills the Merovingian's lackeys is just there to connect a dot to when the Oracle talked about werewolves and vampires. Just go from her meeting them on the elevator to the Keymaker. 

Excising those two move the movie along considerably.

First, skip everything in Zion. It's talky, talky and the celebration of hedonistic humanity is simply silly.

Second, as beautiful as Monica B is, the stuff where she asks for "one kiss" and kills the Merovingian's lackeys is just there to connect a dot to when the Oracle talked about werewolves and vampires. Just go from her meeting them on the elevator to the Keymaker. 

I remember zip about them besides a vague feeling that I didn't hate them as much as most seemed to, but that it probably shoudl have just been one movie.  

I think all I remember was the freeway scene with the white dudes, and Neo fighting 100s of Agents, but have no recollection of which of the two movies these are from.  

Add in - Don't even TRY to comprehend the discussion with the Architect.. :loco:

I think I need to start making a list of crappy, but not too crappy action and comedy movies to watch on these nights, better if I haven't seen them at all or in a very long time.  

How bad is The Expendables? :oldunsure:

I think I need to start making a list of crappy, but not too crappy action and comedy movies to watch on these nights, better if I haven't seen them at all or in a very long time.  

How bad is The Expendables? :oldunsure:
First one was very good.. if I recall correctly, 2nd one has Chuck Norris, which alone makes it worth the watch... :thumbup:

3 I believe completely goes off the rails. 

KarmaPolice said:
Replicant with JCVD. 

HFS :lmao:
Interesting segue into the movie I watched last night. It featured 2 actors playing dual roles. How do we try to evaluate or rank movies like this that are so bad but yet incredibly entertaining? I was absolutely dying at some of the insanity.

”It’s like looking in the mirror...except not.”

One of the most wanted terrorists in the world uses a very small fake mustache as his sole disguise.

The FBI conduct a Zero Dark 30 style guns blazing raid on a house full of women and a child all set to Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

Absolute comic genius but looking back, not only was this a huge hit in the late 90s but critics almost universally praised it. Ebert even gave it 3 stars saying, “All through the movie, you find yourself reinterpreting every scene as you realize the "other" character is "really" playing it.” Not really Rog, I was too busy laughing.

FACE/OFF

Interesting segue into the movie I watched last night. It featured 2 actors playing dual roles. How do we try to evaluate or rank movies like this that are so bad but yet incredibly entertaining? I was absolutely dying at some of the insanity.

One of the most wanted terrorists in the world uses a very small fake mustache as his sole disguise.

The FBI conduct a Zero Dark 30 style guns blazing raid on a house full of women and a child all set to Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

Absolute comic genius but looking back, not only was this a huge hit in the late 90s but critics almost universally praised it. Ebert even gave it 3 stars saying, “All through the movie, you find yourself reinterpreting every scene as you realize the "other" character is "really" playing it.” Not really Rog, I was too busy laughing.

I feel like you are in my head sometimes - both of the last couple nights I paused for a beat over Face/Off before deciding on something else.  

:lmao:

Yeah, how does Face/Off have an 82 on metacritc?  That movies is about as ridiculous as they come, and how is it any different from the other 100 action movie that the critics crap on? 

I knew that one right away @Ilov80s

Peak Gina Gershon too. :thumbup:
Oh yeah I’ve been on a run here. Gershon, Stone, Eva Mendes.

I feel like you are in my head sometimes - both of the last couple nights I paused for a beat over Face/Off before deciding on something else.  
Do yourself a big favor and watch it. Then listen to the Rewatchables podcast on it. I know you don’t consider yourself a great judge of comedy but I’m quite sure this will give you about 3 hours worth of laughs.

Yeah, how does Face/Off have an 82 on metacritc?  That movies is about as ridiculous as they come, and how is it any different from the other 100 action movie that the critics crap on? 
I remember my parents seeing it and raving about creative and wild it was. People loved it.  I know when I saw in 98 or so, I didn’t get all the unintentional humor at all and just saw it as a crazy John Wu action movie.

Oh yeah I’ve been on a run here. Gershon, Stone, Eva Mendes.

Do yourself a big favor and watch it. Then listen to the Rewatchables podcast on it. I know you don’t consider yourself a great judge of comedy but I’m quite sure this will give you about 3 hours worth of laughs.

I remember my parents seeing it and raving about creative and wild it was. People loved it.  I know when I saw in 98 or so, I didn’t get all the unintentional humor at all and just saw it as a crazy John Wu action movie.
I've seen it multiple times, that's why I skipped over it as I've been trying to watch stuff I haven't seen (even with the crappy movies), so that's why I decided against it the last couple nights.  

THIS is the humor that is more in my wheelhouse.  My mental block is with "classic" comedies, but I had tears in my eyes from laughing last night watching that Van Damme movie.  

FACE/OFF
The english patient.

I've seen it multiple times, that's why I skipped over it as I've been trying to watch stuff I haven't seen (even with the crappy movies), so that's why I decided against it the last couple nights.  

THIS is the humor that is more in my wheelhouse.  My mental block is with "classic" comedies, but I had tears in my eyes from laughing last night watching that Van Damme movie.  
Have you heard the RW pod on it? It’s incredible 

Ok, I am about an hour into Face/Off and I think we need to have a discussion about how critics actually liked this ####### movie.    I would fully expect this to be the typical dumb blockbuster score where imdb will be 6-8 range and critics 30-50 range.  For a quick reality check, Armageddon is at 42 metacritic score.  

This is baffling me.  

Ok, I am about an hour into Face/Off and I think we need to have a discussion about how critics actually liked this ####### movie.    I would fully expect this to be the typical dumb blockbuster score where imdb will be 6-8 range and critics 30-50 range.  For a quick reality check, Armageddon is at 42 metacritic score.  

This is baffling me.  
I’m telling you, this was a runaway hit. People just ate it up. There’s probably only 2-3 year window where Face/Off could have been released and gets that kind of universally positive reaction. It’s especially weird for critic who presumably has already seen Hard Boiled and The Killer which have Johh Wu doing all this John Wu stuff already. The critics legit were captivated by the storyline and performances.

I’m telling you, this was a runaway hit. People just ate it up. There’s probably only 2-3 year window where Face/Off could have been released and gets that kind of universally positive reaction. It’s especially weird for critic who presumably has already seen Hard Boiled and The Killer which have Johh Wu doing all this John Wu stuff already. The critics legit were captivated by the storyline and performances.
But they are both junk.

Don't get me wrong, I am having fun watching this thing, but I can't get over this critic score.  Same time period:

Armageddon = 42

Con Air =  52

The Rock = 58 

Face/Off = 82 

Users who are viewing this thread