What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (11 Viewers)

Got the library movies today, so the next double feature will either be Rushmore + Moonrise Kingdom or Lost in Translation or Notorious + Vertigo.  

IN THEATERS TUE, FEB 23, SAT, FEB 27

Get On Up

Based on the incredible life story of the Godfather of Soul, Get On Up gives a fearless look inside the music, moves, and moods of James Brown, taking audiences on the journey from his impoverished childhood to his evolution into one of the most influential figures of the 20th century. Chadwick Boseman (42) stars as Brown, and is joined by Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer, Nelsan Ellis, Jill Scott, Craig Robinson, and Dan Aykroyd in the Tate Taylor directed drama.

Last night was the Wes Anderson double feature.    I feel like I check in on Wes every few years or so to see if my opinion has changed on his non-Rushmore movies.  Nope, not as of last night.   Direction and the way his movies look are stunning in the later years, but I feel nothing watching them.  (last night I watched Moonrise Kingdom).  

Oh well, on to Hitchcock.  

Last night was the Wes Anderson double feature.    I feel like I check in on Wes every few years or so to see if my opinion has changed on his non-Rushmore movies.  Nope, not as of last night.   Direction and the way his movies look are stunning in the later years, but I feel nothing watching them.  (last night I watched Moonrise Kingdom).  

Oh well, on to Hitchcock.  
Weren’t into Grand Budapest Hotel either? That’s his best movie after Rushmore IMO 

Weren’t into Grand Budapest Hotel either? That’s his best movie after Rushmore IMO 
I tried when it first came out, but I don't think I got all the way through it.   Maybe that will be the one I try in a couple years when I revisit a non-Rushmore Wes film again.  ;)  

I tried when it first came out, but I don't think I got all the way through it.   Maybe that will be the one I try in a couple years when I revisit a non-Rushmore Wes film again.  ;)  
Love that movie but Wes certainly has a particular aesthetic and sense of humor that's not for everyone.

Love that movie but Wes certainly has a particular aesthetic and sense of humor that's not for everyone.
I guess part of what I have been chasing is why Rushmore is so much different for me than his other movies.   Is the humor that different, does he get more into the quirk spectrum as he goes?

I guess part of what I have been chasing is why Rushmore is so much different for me than his other movies.   Is the humor that different, does he get more into the quirk spectrum as he goes?
For me, I think the music sets Rushmore ahead of the rest. Wes Anderson always makes an effective use of music, but he peaked in Rushmore. When I think of Rushmore, the first things that come to my head are the scenes with A Quick One While He’s Away, Ooh La La, Concrete and Clay, etc.

To Catch a Thief - Watched this last night for the first time. It was good not great. Cary Grant is always incredibly charming. But I didn't think the chemistry between him and Grace Kelly was great. Maybe it was the 25 year age difference. I think the story was also good, not great.

To Catch a Thief - Watched this last night for the first time. It was good not great. Cary Grant is always incredibly charming. But I didn't think the chemistry between him and Grace Kelly was great. Maybe it was the 25 year age difference. I think the story was also good, not great.
I would agree with all this. Hitchcock was very strange with his casting decisions. Vertigo had the same problem - the age difference.

Into the Wild. 

Phenominal. Fantastic. 17 out of 10 stars. I can't recommend this one enough. 

If you haven't seen this, you're a bigger dipstick than me. Not since Big Fish have I been engrossed in a story like this. 

The story, the performances, the scenery (Oh man! The scenery!), everything was just so so good. 

Quite possibly the most spellbounding 2+ hours of my movie watching life. 

Into the Wild. 

Phenominal. Fantastic. 17 out of 10 stars. I can't recommend this one enough. 

If you haven't seen this, you're a bigger dipstick than me. Not since Big Fish have I been engrossed in a story like this. 

The story, the performances, the scenery (Oh man! The scenery!), everything was just so so good. 

Quite possibly the most spellbounding 2+ hours of my movie watching life. 
I am a fan of this one as well, but it's pretty polarizing around these parts mostly based on how the viewer sees McCandless and what he was doing with his life.  

I thin he's saying why get caught up in whether you agree or not with this kids choices and just watch/enjoy the movie.
And really...if the kid's choices are affecting you that much, the movie has succeeded on another level- making you think and consider things beyond your own life, even if in opposition. 

And really...if the kid's choices are affecting you that much, the movie has succeeded on another level- making you think and consider things beyond your own life, even if in opposition. 
Yes!  Unfortunately today for most people it seems will just entrench them in their "position".  Anyhoo, don't want to ruin this great thread with PSF junk...but yes you captured the intent of my initial post.

I thin he's saying why get caught up in whether you agree or not with this kids choices and just watch/enjoy the movie.

That's his character.   Not sure why that would be different than any other movie where people don't click with the character and their enjoyment of the movie suffers because of it.  

I find it to be an interesting litmus test for people when talk about movies - how they relate to and interpret characters.  

:shrug:

Yes!  Unfortunately today for most people it seems will just entrench them in their "position".  Anyhoo, don't want to ruin this great thread with PSF junk...but yes you captured the intent of my initial post.
What else do we bring to our viewing of movies and such besides our views and real life experiences and biases?   

Depends on what you mean by "enjoy". I thought Into The Wild was a pretty good movie. But the protagonist walks the line between hero and anti-hero.
Yes, regardless if you agree or disagree with the choices of characters in a movie or the underlying message, if the film is well done and made you think...be happy.  Not like we're talking about a movie glorifying nazi's or something.

In this case its basically the whole premise of the movie, not like some woke message was stuck in the middle of Deadpool...friggin read the plot before you watch and if a kid making different life choices is going to set you off then don't watch.

It's been a while since I watched so maybe I'm misremembering but hard for me to consider him walking the line of "anti-hero".  Misguided, different, naive, potentially selfish in ways....maybe all of those but not anti-hero for me.  

Yes, regardless if you agree or disagree with the choices of characters in a movie or the underlying message, if the film is well done and made you think...be happy.  Not like we're talking about a movie glorifying nazi's or something.

In this case its basically the whole premise of the movie, not like some woke message was stuck in the middle of Deadpool...friggin read the plot before you watch and if a kid making different life choices is going to set you off then don't watch.

It's been a while since I watched so maybe I'm misremembering but hard for me to consider him walking the line of "anti-hero".  Misguided, different, naive, potentially selfish in ways....maybe all of those but not anti-hero for me.  
Well maybe "anti-hero" isn't the right term either. He's not Walter White or Tony Soprano, for example.

But he's not someone to root for or even necessarily sympathize with. He made obviously bad choices that he didn't really need to make.

An open mind?
To a point.  We all like/dislike things, and a lot is based on our life experiences and views.    I think it would a very rare person who could completely separate that and go in with a total blank and open mind.   Again, that's one of the things I like most about talking to people about movies - how they interpret things differently than I do.    

I would get that criticism more on a movie like Into the Wild where you are basically stuck with McCandless for the duration of the movies.  It's not like Heat where you have 25 characters running around.  

To a point.  We all like/dislike things, and a lot is based on our life experiences and views.    I think it would a very rare person who could completely separate that and go in with a total blank and open mind.   Again, that's one of the things I like most about talking to people about movies - how they interpret things differently than I do.    
All good points.

For me, art like movies can and hopefully does operate on multiple levels. I can appreciate them purely for the visuals, for the acting, directing, sound/music, the story, the characters, etc...independently or hopefully all together. The best challenge me intellectually and emotionally and keep me thinking and feeling something about the movie after it's finished. If all of that is firing in a way that works for me,  it's a masterpiece.

But I can still enjoy movies where not all of that works...like this one. I'm in the camp that found his character and choices frustrating and annoying, so the lead always kept me at a distance. But the story (and I had read the book going in to it) was told really well, the set/site pieces were always going to be amazing (and were, and were filmed well/beautifully) and even though I didn't like the kid, the portrayal was well done, along with the rest of the acting from the rest of the ensemble. Thought Penn did a nice job with the direction, pacing, editing and overall story telling. This was a well made and nice movie to watch, my appreciation for it only tempered by my dislike for the main character.

Watched a couple of more classics last night.

Streetcar Named Desire - This just wasn't for me. I get that there was great acting and it was really influential in that it made a star out of Brando. I just didn't like it. Kind of reminds me of Gone with the Wind that way. They may be good or great movies - they just aren't for me. The story just didn't click.

Paris, Texas - This, however, did click. Very much. The direction was awesome - I don't know how to describe it correctly, but the camera work where the director would hold the camera and let the action move around it was just awesome. And the acting was terrific also. Very sad movie. But excellent.

Imo you are reading a bit too much into this, especially the bolded.  

I just remember that being a big part of the discussion, and that people felt he threw his life away and the movie was glorifying that or romanticized that choice.  

I will fully admit to maybe remembering incorrectly too. 

Users who are viewing this thread