Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition

4 hours ago, whoknew said:

Watched a couple of more classics last night.

Streetcar Named Desire - This just wasn't for me. I get that there was great acting and it was really influential in that it made a star out of Brando. I just didn't like it. Kind of reminds me of Gone with the Wind that way. They may be good or great movies - they just aren't for me. The story just didn't click.

Completely agree.

Characters were too weird and sets even looked silly. It probably worked better as a play than a film.

• Replies 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KarmaPolice

• Ilov80s

• jdoggydogg

• El Floppo

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know those movies aren't really about him, right?

25th Anniversary of Fargo's release date was Monday. Watched it again last night for the umpteenth time. I still noticed new things. Marge Gunderson is one of cinema's all-time best heroes. 

Finally got around to seeing The Accountant.  I will preface this comment by stating that I am not a Ben Affleck fan at all.  The only two movies I liked him in were Dazed and Confused and Good Will H

Streetcar is electric. Some of the best performances ever put on film. Brando is a force of nature and Vivien Leigh’s classic Hollywood style and film history with GWTW is the perfect foil for him. 

2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Streetcar is electric. Some of the best performances ever put on film. Brando is a force of nature and Vivien Leigh’s classic Hollywood style and film history with GWTW is the perfect foil for him. 

I'm with this guy cause I coulda been a contendah.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

@simsarge I'm excited to see what you choose as your third ever movie! :excited: :pokey:

:P stay tuned!

But be forewarned I'm as fickle as the day is long. I'll call em as I see em and will flip flop with what strikes me at the moment. If you're looking for Wikkid level insightfulness, you'll be disappointed 

3 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Something something keep politics outta here something something words words.

Eta... :oldunsure:...at least, I think.

On the last two pages of this thread I see several instances of people saying they didn't like a movie due to the characters.  But then when someone said (or maybe even they didn't - I don't remember if it was a strawman or real) they didn't enjoy Into the Wild (a book I loved, by the way) because of the decision-making of the character, then it had to become political.  It's pedantic and stupid.  Of course we bring our views of the relatability of a character to everything we watch.  The "conversation" about that fact was boring AF.*  D-minus, would not read again.

*ETA through no fault of most in the thread.

Edited by krista4
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, krista4 said:

On the last two pages of this thread I see several instances of people saying they didn't like a movie due to the characters.  But then when someone said (or maybe even they didn't - I don't remember if it was a strawman or real) they didn't enjoy Into the Wild (a book I loved, by the way) because of the decision-making of the character, then it had to become political.  It's pedantic and stupid.  Of course we bring our views of the relatability of a character to everything we watch.  The "conversation" about that fact was boring AF.  D-minus, would not read again.

I put time and thought into my comments, which I thought were topical, c+ to a- level wirk. :sadbanana:

I think what makes people appreciate movies in different ways is interesting. Unless you disagree with me, in which case you're dumb.

2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I put time and thought into my comments, which I thought were topical, c+ to a- level wirk. :sadbanana:

I think what makes people appreciate movies in different ways is interesting. Unless you disagree with me, in which case you're dumb.

See my edit, which I was writing as you posted.  Sorry, I did not mean to disparage people who were discussing in good faith, including you.  You, KP, and I'm sure others had good input.

Edited by krista4
9 minutes ago, krista4 said:

See my edit, which I was writing as you posted.  Sorry, I did not mean to disparage people who were discussing in good faith, including you.  You, KP, and I'm sure others had good input.

Good faith boring af, gotcha.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Not that I have come across many, but I can't remember a movie that was based on a play that I really liked.  It always seems like something is missing.  

8 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Not that I have come across many, but I can't remember a movie that was based on a play that I really liked.  It always seems like something is missing.  

None of the Mamets?

9 hours ago, El Floppo said:

All good points.

For me, art like movies can and hopefully does operate on multiple levels. I can appreciate them purely for the visuals, for the acting, directing, sound/music, the story, the characters, etc...independently or hopefully all together. The best challenge me intellectually and emotionally and keep me thinking and feeling something about the movie after it's finished. If all of that is firing in a way that works for me,  it's a masterpiece.

But I can still enjoy movies where not all of that works...like this one. I'm in the camp that found his character and choices frustrating and annoying, so the lead always kept me at a distance. But the story (and I had read the book going in to it) was told really well, the set/site pieces were always going to be amazing (and were, and were filmed well/beautifully) and even though I didn't like the kid, the portrayal was well done, along with the rest of the acting from the rest of the ensemble. Thought Penn did a nice job with the direction, pacing, editing and overall story telling. This was a well made and nice movie to watch, my appreciation for it only tempered by my dislike for the main character.

Agree 100% on all this, but maybe not lock in step?   

For me initially a movie has to: 1. make me feel something and 2. give me an escape for a couple hours, and 3.  give me interesting characters and stories.     I would say that now I would have a sense if a movie is well made and directed, but I honestly don't notice a ton of other things like you listed like music/shots/cinematography until another viewing.   That's when a movie will really jump up in "rating" for me - if it's good enough to watch again and if on the next viewing I see great work behind the scenes too.     

As far as the first part and what was being discussed today - I don't care too much about likeable/unlikeable, good choices/bad choices, I just want interesting and emotion.   I love the little scenes and beats  - in Into the Wild it always got me the way the older guy asked McCandless to stay behind (or was it he could live/work with him?).   Those small human touches add up even if I didn't love the main character or plot.  

• Like 1
Just now, KarmaPolice said:

Agree 100% on all this, but maybe not lock in step?   

For me initially a movie has to: 1. make me feel something and 2. give me an escape for a couple hours, and 3.  give me interesting characters and stories.     I would say that now I would have a sense if a movie is well made and directed, but I honestly don't notice a ton of other things like you listed like music/shots/cinematography until another viewing.   That's when a movie will really jump up in "rating" for me - if it's good enough to watch again and if on the next viewing I see great work behind the scenes too.     

As far as the first part and what was being discussed today - I don't care too much about likeable/unlikeable, good choices/bad choices, I just want interesting and emotion.   I love the little scenes and beats  - in Into the Wild it always got me the way the older guy asked McCandless to stay behind (or was it he could live/work with him?).   Those small human touches add up even if I didn't love the main character or plot.  

BORING

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

Not sure I could name one of the top of my head - Glengarry?

Yep. House of Games, Spanish Prisoner...

12 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Not sure I could name one of the top of my head - Glengarry?

Just did the googles for this, and I kinda have to agree about the stage to screen thing from what a quick search found.

Best one for me was Lion in Winter, which I loved (saw a stage production with laurence fishburne)...but otherwise a bunch of kinda sortas

I don't know, man.  Casablanca, for instance?

Had no idea...that was a play? Figured it was a novel.

And tbh, Mamet annoy the #### out of me. Mamet. His plays. Mamet's plays....they annoy me. All ####s out of me is how they annoy me. Mamet's plays.

6 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Had no idea...that was a play? Figured it was a novel.

Play.

I have a ton of suggestions for great play-originated-movies, but it would be BORING.

• Laughing 1

Play.

I have a ton of suggestions for great play-originated-movies, but it would be BORING

:goodposting:

Actually curious, especially after my quick Google search. I figured there'd be a ton.

LIST

A Few Good Men? 

Oh wow.  Now I'm going to be busy for a while.  A Few Good Men was one I thought of - did you put the question mark after because you weren't sure if it was a play or if it was a good movie?  I saw it in the theater before it was a movie.

2 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

LIST

A Few Good Men? 

Good lord man. We just said BORING and you hit us with wiki and an alphabetized list of every stage play every made into a movie. 

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

Good lord man. We just said BORING and you hit us with wiki and an alphabetized list of every stage play every made into a movie. 

:wub: 

9 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Oh wow.  Now I'm going to be busy for a while.  A Few Good Men was one I thought of - did you put the question mark after because you weren't sure if it was a play or if it was a good movie?  I saw it in the theater before it was a movie.

The question mark was a surprise question mark.  I didn't know that was a play first. 

Dammit, now I am not sure what I am supposed to talk about in the thread about movies that isn't boring.  

The English Patient

• Laughing 1
1 hour ago, krista4 said:

Btw, re-watching Godfather II right now and reminiscing about when Al Pacino wasn't a hack.

It’s truly startling. 

DeNiro is the true genius of that movie imo anyhow. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

The English Patient

:lol:  

That's a movie that is still a touchy subject around the KP household because I dared fall asleep during it when the wife wanted to watch it when we were in college.  I don't think I've tried to watch it again since then.  

1 hour ago, krista4 said:

Btw, re-watching Godfather II right now and reminiscing about when Al Pacino wasn't a hack.

Hey now - when did he become one? 

I have Godfather 1 and 2 coming this week for a watch.  Only seen each once.  

2 minutes ago, Capella said:

It’s truly startling. 

DeNiro is the true genius of that movie imo anyhow. 

I'm going Robert Duvall, but I think he's the genius in any movie he's in.

• Thanks 2
1 minute ago, KarmaPolice said:

Hey now - when did he become one? 

I have Godfather 1 and 2 coming this week for a watch.  Only seen each once.  

1992.  Scent of a Woman.  et seq.

7 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Dammit, now I am not sure what I am supposed to talk about in the thread about movies that isn't boring.  

Maybe you could describe movies you saw without telling us the names.  That's always good for some excitement.

• Laughing 3

Wwwohahp.

Or something like that.

Hoo-yah!!!

?  Maybe?

1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

I'm a big fan of The Big Kahuna. I never saw the play its based on - but it apparently is based on a play. And makes sense because it is entirely in one room (basically).

• Like 1

The wife had the golden globes on just now...some category had The Crown and the Mandolorian together- in the same category. I assume "things spoken mostly in english that appeared on tv"

• Laughing 1