Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Interesting. I listened to an interview with that director and he said the pitch to him from the creators was The Departed inside the world of  COINTELPRO. That’s what he was going for. I thought they nailed that. Obviously many disagree with me.

I was reading this interview with Shaka King, and agree with your take:  https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2021/02/shaka-king-judas-and-black-messiah/617912/. He talks about how initial script from Will Berson was a more traditional biopic about Hampton, but says that the only way to get the movie made “was to couch it in a genre,” and refers to the COINTELPRO that you mentioned, and discusses “The Friends of Eddie Coyle” as an influence. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • KarmaPolice

    1483

  • Ilov80s

    1162

  • jdoggydogg

    1142

  • El Floppo

    942

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

25th Anniversary of Fargo's release date was Monday. Watched it again last night for the umpteenth time. I still noticed new things. Marge Gunderson is one of cinema's all-time best heroes. 

You know those movies aren't really about him, right?

so THAT'S why i never see you at our Paint Your Wagon discussion groups...

Last night's fare was Silence of the Lambs + 1/2 of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.  Got too late and I passed out, so I will probably finish up tonight.    

I also started the Three Colors triology yesterday as well, and will work my way through that.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched “Palm Springs” last night — that was pretty good.  A bit of a mix of Groundhog Day and Wedding Crashers, but there are worse movies to do riffs on. Thanks for the recommendations on that one.

Finished up “8-1/2” from the Criterion Essential Fellini box after that. The 4k restoration is really good quality (as is the quality of all the films in the set, but this one really popped). I’ve seen only it one other time, and that was probably 15-20 years ago with a DVD (or maybe VHS) that was obviously not quite that good quality.  I would not call it my favorite Fellini, but it is going to leave me thinking about it more than many others. When the Saraghina rumba scene started, my initial reaction was finding it kind of a weird diversion; by the end of the scene, I was then entranced by it, and now left thinking about its meaning and its influence on Guido.

My next one in that set is going to be Juliet of the Spirits, which also has the Toby Dammit short as a special feature on the disc.  I haven’t seen either.  I’m more excited by the short.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Don Quixote said:

I was reading this interview with Shaka King, and agree with your take:  https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2021/02/shaka-king-judas-and-black-messiah/617912/. He talks about how initial script from Will Berson was a more traditional biopic about Hampton, but says that the only way to get the movie made “was to couch it in a genre,” and refers to the COINTELPRO that you mentioned, and discusses “The Friends of Eddie Coyle” as an influence. 

That all is interesting.  We might be into semantics at this point, but a non-traditional biopic is still a biopic. In this article the director and the writer discuss the making of it in a lot of detail, and the question is how do you market the biopic.  And any “couching” the director did is exactly why I didn’t enjoy the movie as much.

Anyway, I disagree that this is a crime movie, but it’s :deadhorse: at this point.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

Watched “Palm Springs” last night — that was pretty good.  A bit of a mix of Groundhog Day and Wedding Crashers, but there are worse movies to do riffs on. Thanks for the recommendations on that one.

Finished up “8-1/2” from the Criterion Essential Fellini box after that. The 4k restoration is really good quality (as is the quality of all the films in the set, but this one really popped). I’ve seen only it one other time, and that was probably 15-20 years ago with a DVD (or maybe VHS) that was obviously not quite that good quality.  I would not call it my favorite Fellini, but it is going to leave me thinking about it more than many others. When the Saraghina rumba scene started, my initial reaction was finding it kind of a weird diversion; by the end of the scene, I was then entranced by it, and now left thinking about its meaning and its influence on Guido.

My next one in that set is going to be Juliet of the Spirits, which also has the Toby Dammit short as a special feature on the disc.  I haven’t seen either.  I’m more excited by the short.

Did you read the Scorsese article on Fellini this week? I think it was Vanity Fair. Good read snd I think I’m going to watch Bringing Out the Dead and Amarcord. Two movies available on streaming that I haven’t seen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

Did you read the Scorsese article on Fellini this week? I think it was Vanity Fair. Good read snd I think I’m going to watch Bringing Out the Dead and Amarcord. Two movies available on streaming that I haven’t seen.

I've had Bringing out the Dead in my queue for a long time too.   I think Nic Cage has been the barrier that is keeping me from starting it up.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I've had Bringing out the Dead in my queue for a long time too.   I think Nic Cage has been the barrier that is keeping me from starting it up.  

I like Cage, he just picks some awful movies to do for money. When the movie is quality, he delivers. Raising Arizona, Moonstruck. Heck for what the role was, Cage was incredible in Face/Off.  

Edited by Ilov80s
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Did you read the Scorsese article on Fellini this week? I think it was Vanity Fair. Good read snd I think I’m going to watch Bringing Out the Dead and Amarcord. Two movies available on streaming that I haven’t seen.

I didn’t see that. I’ll give that one a read. I think the La Strada disc had a short Scorsese interview about Fellini.

Amarcord is probably the Fellini feature left after 8-1/2 that I’m most looking forward to watching (a few movies to go as I work through chronologically).  I think I’m far enough along that I’d say that I wholeheartedly endorse the Criterion set for anyone looking to dive more into Fellini. It is a gem.

Edited by Don Quixote
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

I also started the Three Colors triology yesterday as well, and will work my way through that.  

Oh wow...I have such a stored memory of love for those from when they came out- but I can't remember them at all other than that. I should probably rewatch those too. I always mention Dekalog by him, (polish?) tv series based on the 10 commandments that I also recall being brilliant and must see.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hooter311 said:

The Little Things on hbo max was about the dumbest, most heavy handed turd I've watched in a while.

1/5

It wasn't good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2021 at 7:26 PM, El Floppo said:

We also started Inkheart, with a pretty decent cast including Helen Mirren. Not great, but not bad and a fun adventure for the kids so far.

This was a kinda fun movie- perfect for the 9yo. The genre has gotten more clever since it was made, so I kept expecting the writing to be funnier and smarter. And this won't ever be something to watch on your own as an adult. But the overall story (books coming to life), cast (Mirren, Brendan Frasier, Jim Broadbent, paul Bettany, Andy Serkis), and scope (epic adventure with nice set and location piece's) made for a fun watch with the kid. 13yo wasnt too interested.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bringing Out the Dead starts with some old school Van Morrison so that’s a good start. Though it’s got a lot of very obvious Taxi Driver references. I know Taxi Driver is great but not sure I get the huge appeal of Paul Schrader beyond that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Bringing Out the Dead starts with some old school Van Morrison so that’s a good start. Though it’s got a lot of very obvious Taxi Driver references. I know Taxi Driver is great but not sure I get the huge appeal of Paul Schrader beyond that. 

I haven’t seen Bringing out the Dead, but I do think “Blue Collar” is an underrated one by Schrader.  One of better movies about factory life. Richard Pryor is great, and Hard Workin’  Man by Captain Beefheart to kick it off.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

I haven’t seen Bringing out the Dead, but I do think “Blue Collar” is an underrated one by Schrader.  One of better movies about factory life. Richard Pryor is great, and Hard Workin’  Man by Captain Beefheart to kick it off.

Haven't see that. I'm about 2/3 through Bringing Out the Dead and I'm not a fan. Loaded cast but the script doesn't work for me at all. A lot of praise was given for First Reformed a couple years ago as well and I didn't think it was all that good either. I see the similarities in his work, he clearly has a POV. It just isn't for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I know Taxi Driver is great but not sure I get the huge appeal of Paul Schrader beyond that. 

I'm a big fan of Schrader's Cat People, but that's mainly due to Kinski and one of my all time favorite movie soundtracks (Moroder was the composer).

Edited by Mr. Mojo
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. Mojo said:

I'm a big fan of Schrader's Cat People, but that's mainly due to Kinski and one of my all time favorite movie soundtracks (Moroder was the composer).

Haven’t seen that- I assume that’s a remake of the 40s film and I also very much approve of the idea of Natasha Kinski as a sexually charged big cat 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Watched Eragon with 9yo floppinha... Thought she'd like the fantasy/adventure aspect. She was unimpressed.

Isn’t that the book that kid wrote and his rich dad published despite it being garbage?

  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2021 at 11:00 PM, krista4 said:

Watched Nomadland tonight.  Now that was a movie for me.  I'll be eager for the discussion on it to start here.

We are watching this tonight. I’ll report back. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Isn’t that the book that kid wrote and his rich dad published despite it being garbage?

Huh...maybe. I remember the kid writing it and self-publishing it to the internet and then it catching on. Didn't remember any rich dad...but that would help explain things.

ETA...ftr, I had no interest in reading it, and the story is clearly an homage/aping of LOR middle earth. But it works enough as a campbell hero-journey as a movie.

Edited by El Floppo
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2021 at 4:15 PM, Don Quixote said:

I've been trying to avoid signing up for too many streaming services, but just signed up for Hulu so I can watch "Nomadland" (released tomorrow).

Anything else good on there I should watch? I know 80s mentioned Palm Springs to me a few weeks ago, and it looks like that is on there.

Mr. Inbetween, if you like crime, somewhat violent shows

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Bringing Out the Dead starts with some old school Van Morrison so that’s a good start. Though it’s got a lot of very obvious Taxi Driver references. I know Taxi Driver is great but not sure I get the huge appeal of Paul Schrader beyond that. 

Dude, 

The face Nicolas cage makes when him and Ving Thames deliver the twins and his is still born is classic.

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Capella said:
On 2/19/2021 at 8:00 PM, krista4 said:

Watched Nomadland tonight.  Now that was a movie for me.  I'll be eager for the discussion on it to start here.

We are watching this tonight. I’ll report back. 

Richard Brody, who wrote the so-so review of Judas and the Black Messiah that I linked earlier, really didn't appreciate this movie.  I do realize that he might not like much at all.  Sheesh.  https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-front-row/nomadland-reviewed-chloe-zhaos-nostalgic-portrait-of-itinerant-america

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, krista4 said:

Richard Brody, who wrote the so-so review of Judas and the Black Messiah that I linked earlier, really didn't appreciate this movie.  I do realize that he might not like much at all.  Sheesh.  https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-front-row/nomadland-reviewed-chloe-zhaos-nostalgic-portrait-of-itinerant-america

Yea he totally missed the point of the movie. 
 

Sad movie. Sad portrait of America. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Capella said:

Yea he totally missed the point of the movie. 
 

Sad movie. Sad portrait of America. 

Yeah, he definitely missed what I got out of it. I felt a crushing sense of loss throughout.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Yeah, he definitely missed what I got out of it. I felt a crushing sense of loss throughout.

Yea it was a movie about dealing with grief and death. She lost her husband, her job and her town in a small window of time. So she didn’t want to get close to David or anybody else again because she couldn’t deal with anymore of that pain. Which is why she stayed on the road and lived that lifestyle. Depressing. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

scratching Nomadland off my list ... 

 

My wife after we watched it: WHY do you keep picking this depressing ####? Can we watch a ####### comedy next time?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t find the movie depressing, exactly.  I thought the people in it, including the main character, were noble and uplifting.  The conversation she has with Bob Wells near the end was optimistic.  But the movie surrounds someone suffering profound loss, which permeated and resonated profoundly to me.

Yeah, if you’re hoping for a superhero movie or a nice tidy Hollywood bow or something, keep looking.

ETA to be clear that last part is not in response to capella, who seemed to view the movie similarly to me.  Just to anyone else thinking of seeing it.

Edited by krista4
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hooter311 said:

Dude, 

The face Nicolas cage makes when him and Ving Thames deliver the twins and his is still born is classic.

I might have to go back just to see that 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, krista4 said:

I didn’t find the movie depressing, exactly.  I thought the people in it, including the main character, were noble and uplifting.  The conversation she has with Bob Wells near the end was optimistic.  But the movie surrounds someone suffering profound loss, which permeated and resonated profoundly to me.

Yeah, if you’re hoping for a superhero movie or a nice tidy Hollywood bow or something, keep looking.

ETA to be clear that last part is not in response to capella, who seemed to view the movie similarly to me.  Just to anyone else thinking of seeing it.

I found it encouraging that all these people are able to go about their life this way and quite a few seem to actually thrive in it and love it — however her story I felt was quite sad. 
 

For those who haven’t seen it, it was like half documentary and half fiction. The people they talked to out on the road were real nomads and not actors; however the main character was played by Frances McDormand. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2021 at 10:49 AM, Don Quixote said:

My next one in that set is going to be Juliet of the Spirits, which also has the Toby Dammit short as a special feature on the disc.  I haven’t seen either.  I’m more excited by the short.

Watched Fellini's Juliet of the Spirits and Toby Dammit last night.  It matched about what I thought going into it. Juliet of the Spirits was solid enough -- Fellini's first color picture and some interesting visuals and dream sequences that reminded me of what would see later on in Twin Peaks type of stuff (although the story about a wife dealing with her husband's infidelity). It could be viewed as a companion to 8 1/2, but it is a bit more over the top.

Toby Dammit packed a lot into its 40 minutes run time.  It was one segment in a Poe anthology film, "Spirits of the Dead."  Terence Stamp is great in it -- he plays an alcoholic British actor in Rome to film a "Catholic western," but the film is like a descent into hell.  Cinematography and the film itself is pretty surreal.  I'm not one to partake in recreational drugs, but I can imagine Toby Dammit might be a film that would pair well with such substances.  (FWIW, I've read the other two segments in Spirits of the Dead are not worth their time, and Toby Dammit is the stand out.)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting away from the cheese a bit the last few nights.  I might have missed something, but I've watched:

The Graduate, Clerks, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Ex Machina, Rear Window.  

 

The Graduate is one that is growing on me over the years, but ironically I find it a little less funny each time I watch and a little more sad and uncomfortable.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Getting away from the cheese a bit the last few nights.  I might have missed something, but I've watched:

The Graduate, Clerks, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Ex Machina, Rear Window.  

 

The Graduate is one that is growing on me over the years, but ironically I find it a little less funny each time I watch and a little more sad and uncomfortable.  

Funny, I never thought of that before but it sums up my feelings as well. 

We are on the same wavelength because I have also been a serious kick. Nothing new really blew me away:

Bringing Out the Dead- meh, feels late 90s/early00s in all the worst ways

Amarcord- Fellini-esque lol. Whimsical, funny, sad, werid, sexual, his whole thing.  But I did find myself getting bored through some parts. 

Reversal of Fortune- Jeremy Irons won the Best Actor Oscar for thus which is weird. The movie was fine. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2021 at 9:33 AM, Don Quixote said:

Watched Fellini's Juliet of the Spirits and Toby Dammit last night.  It matched about what I thought going into it. Juliet of the Spirits was solid enough -- Fellini's first color picture and some interesting visuals and dream sequences that reminded me of what would see later on in Twin Peaks type of stuff (although the story about a wife dealing with her husband's infidelity). It could be viewed as a companion to 8 1/2, but it is a bit more over the top.

Toby Dammit packed a lot into its 40 minutes run time.  It was one segment in a Poe anthology film, "Spirits of the Dead."  Terence Stamp is great in it -- he plays an alcoholic British actor in Rome to film a "Catholic western," but the film is like a descent into hell.  Cinematography and the film itself is pretty surreal.  I'm not one to partake in recreational drugs, but I can imagine Toby Dammit might be a film that would pair well with such substances.  (FWIW, I've read the other two segments in Spirits of the Dead are not worth their time, and Toby Dammit is the stand out.)

I recorded or am going tor record Juliet off of TCM as I know it is playing this week. It was weird seeing Amarcord being a color FF movie. I think I am going to check that out and than Nights of Cabiria to round out my FF exploration for awhile. I have the Criterion Wong Kar-wai coming at the end of March so that will be next rabbit hole. I've only ever seen In the Mood for Love. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I recorded or am going tor record Juliet off of TCM as I know it is playing this week. It was weird seeing Amarcord being a color FF movie. I think I am going to check that out and than Nights of Cabiria to round out my FF exploration for awhile. I have the Criterion Wong Kar-wai coming at the end of March so that will be next rabbit hole. I've only ever seen In the Mood for Love. 

Nights of Cabiria is my favorite one so far.  Not greatest -- but favorite. Few characters have made me want to jump through the screen and hug them like Cabiria. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

Funny, I never thought of that before but it sums up my feelings as well. 

We are on the same wavelength because I have also been a serious kick. Nothing new really blew me away:

Bringing Out the Dead- meh, feels late 90s/early00s in all the worst ways

Amarcord- Fellini-esque lol. Whimsical, funny, sad, werid, sexual, his whole thing.  But I did find myself getting bored through some parts. 

Reversal of Fortune- Jeremy Irons won the Best Actor Oscar for thus which is weird. The movie was fine. 

 

Not sure if it's an aging thing, or maybe just being more familiar with the movie and paying attention to more of the background stuff?   Now instead of laughing at Benjamin, it's more feeling sad for Mrs. Robinson and other characters in the movie.   Just a lot of sad, dull lives being lead in a movie that covers it up a little with a few funny parts.  

I did break down and get the Hitchcock 4K four pack as well as Ex Machina (which is why I watched EM again and started in the pack with Rear Window).   I will continue on with the Hitchcock tonight or tomorrow.  Not that I don't have a bit in my queue to get through, but I was excited to learn that our library system opened up enough to start allowing people to order items from the other libraries in the system, so I have a few coming in that way as well - I think Rushmore and Notorious are 2 of them.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I have the Criterion Wong Kar-wai coming at the end of March so that will be next rabbit hole. I've only ever seen In the Mood for Love

Fallen Angels stands in my memory as one of my favorite ever movies...blew me away when I saw it in the theaters. I haven't seen it since and was recently wondering if it stood up- couldn't find it to watch anywhere.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2021 at 1:08 AM, krista4 said:

I watched “The Assistant” tonight.  Seemed tailor-made for me.  Sometimes that turns out to be disappointing, as in this case.  I’ll be eager to hear other reactions to this one.

I was pretty excited to watch this one too since it has gotten some good buzz and I thought the trailer looked great, but I didn't like it either.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Long time no talk, y'all. Hope you are well. 

A smattering of the films I've watched recently:

A Hidden Life
If you liked Malick's Tree of Life, then you'll like this one. A soaring, beautiful tragedy about young Austrian men being forced to fight for the Nazis in WW2. It's three hours and it's heavy, but no one makes movies quite like Malick does. 

The Dig
A wonderful, emotionally satisfying story of archeologists looking for a famous sunken treasure. Based on a true story, it stars Carey Mulligan, Ralph Fiennes, Lily James. Wonderful movie. 

The Wraith
If you're like me, you love cheesy 80s movies. And this gem starring Charlie Sheen is a shining star in this genre. Ridiculous, inscrutable, and hilarious. 

Macabre
Mid 80s horror film directed by Lamberto Bava. It's stupid, but fun.

The Chicago Seven
Based on the true story, this Netflix film is great. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PlayaHata said:
On 2/14/2021 at 1:08 AM, krista4 said:

I watched “The Assistant” tonight.  Seemed tailor-made for me.  Sometimes that turns out to be disappointing, as in this case.  I’ll be eager to hear other reactions to this one.

I was pretty excited to watch this one too since it has gotten some good buzz and I thought the trailer looked great, but I didn't like it either.  

Is that the one with the girl from Ozark?

I had no idea about it going in but thought it was pretty good, mostly because of Garner's performance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Still feeling Italy.... Watching Bicycle Thieves on HBO Max. A bit ashamed to admit that I’ve never watched it before.

Telling the 8 year old “Let’s forget everything and get drunk” is a strong mood.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...