• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KarmaPolice

• Ilov80s

• jdoggydogg

• El Floppo

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know those movies aren't really about him, right?

25th Anniversary of Fargo's release date was Monday. Watched it again last night for the umpteenth time. I still noticed new things. Marge Gunderson is one of cinema's all-time best heroes. 

The Accountant.  I think this may have been a great movie.  I'm tempted to go there.

I keep saying this, but hopefully it will be a new movie tonight.   Got sucked in to Shawshank last night and some bonus features.   

Got a message that the Godfathers, Miller's Crossing, and Groundhog Day are waiting for me at the library to go with my stack at home with Creed, Notorious, and Elevator to the Gallows.  Plenty of new stuff to pick from.   What I need to do is decide on and put in the movie BEFORE the MJ... 

• Laughing 1
On 2/18/2021 at 7:19 PM, KarmaPolice said:

More on Ikiru

In the vein of what @krista4 and I were talking about and fawning over in The Sound of Metal, this movie had some absolute magical moments of human interaction.  Just honest, real depictions of people.  The movie did lose me a bit after the "turn" in the middle of the movie as we moved to the gathering of people for the last part.  Not enough to make me fall out of love with the movie but I really missed Shimura.  Only seen a few, but this is my favorite Kurosawa so far.  

I got most of the the way through Ikiru last night before my internet streaming crapped out on me near the end. I'm going to finish up tonight, but I'd agree with humanity of it as incredible.  The scene with him singing in the bar is one of the more moving scenes that I can remember in a film.  I need to dig deeper into Kurosawa, but my favorite one of his so far too (I'd previously have said Rashomon).

• Love 1

Last night I asked my wife if she was interested in watching Coming to America 2 this weekend. She said not really because she's never seen the first one😲 So then I asked her- how are we still married?🤣

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
13 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

I remember bits and pieces from the Hitch/Truffaut interviews.  He did come across as a bit pervy and I believe he said he was a virgin when he got married, and some of his quirks probably come from lack of exploring in other ways so it maybe shows up on screen?

The other story I remember was his pops sending him to the jail with a note, and they ended up putting him in there for a bit?  I think he was between 5-7 or something really young like that?

i dont really know that much about him other than public persona, but i saw him on Cavett or sumn once waybackwhen and he talked about getting stopped by the cops once and all the things that went thru his mind and he ended up almost in tears. whoa! not long after, i saw Strangers on a Train for the first time and i'm whoa again - this aint about murder and it shonuff aint about tennis. it's about coming out of the closet (which a lot of friends were dealing with at the time, back when it was life-ruining). I think i saw Rebecca again next and i'm all "this guy is totes about the beasties inside and he got plenty himself". as a committed churchfarter just becoming aware that my phobias were more based in what i might do more than what might be done to me, i dug that. i've watched Hitch these proceeding 50 years thru that lens and my Secret Squirrel dances every time i do.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Be interested to hear your opinion on this

I prefer the Nicene but Apostles has it’s place. 

On 3/5/2021 at 7:20 AM, KarmaPolice said:

What I need to do is decide on and put in the movie BEFORE the MJ... 

Didn't happen.  Last night was a triple feature of 3rds in a series:

Die Hard with a Vengeance, Alien 3, and Terminator 3.    :bag:

24 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I like two of those three movies. A3 is awful.

26 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Rank them coward 

• Laughing 2
2 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

I like two of those three movies. A3 is awful.

Mostly agree here.   I've watched the two Die Hard sequels this week and IMO they don't hold up quite as well as I thought they did in my mind.  I like 3 a little more than 2, but I was a little disappointed.   

1 minute ago, KarmaPolice said:

T3, DH w/a V,........... A3.  

That kind of makes me want to see T3 because I remember DH3 being good. Maybe I am misremembering. Also A3...Fincher is such a hack, huh. 

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

That kind of makes me want to see T3 because I remember DH3 being good. Maybe I am misremembering. Also A3...Fincher is such a hack, huh. 

Keep in mind these are ratings under the influence.  One of these days I should take notes.   

I think I've always liked T3 more than most.  I like the general idea of the movie, even if there is some miscasting.  The series takes a huge nosedive after that though.   DH3 is still fun for sure.  

11 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

T3 - I just love the truck chase scene. And that the ending doesn't chicken out and is kind of bleak.

DHWAV - Jeremy Irons is just tooooo coooolll. :thumbup:

Yep.  You know that is right in my wheelhouse too.  

On 2/19/2021 at 10:00 PM, krista4 said:

Watched Nomadland tonight.  Now that was a movie for me.  I'll be eager for the discussion on it to start here.

You are a much better person than me. 

I just watched it. Its clearly very high quality. The acting is superb - even the non-actors. It actually kind of had a documentary feel to it at parts.

But man - this was just not for me. It was not enjoyable at all. It really was a slog for me to sit through. 

On 3/5/2021 at 8:59 AM, Don Quixote said:

I got most of the the way through Ikiru last night before my internet streaming crapped out on me near the end. I'm going to finish up tonight, but I'd agree with humanity of it as incredible.  The scene with him singing in the bar is one of the more moving scenes that I can remember in a film.  I need to dig deeper into Kurosawa, but my favorite one of his so far too (I'd previously have said Rashomon).

I'm going to watch it tonight (around 2am).

Have you seen High and Low yet?

6 hours ago, whoknew said:

You are a much better person than me. 

I just watched it. Its clearly very high quality. The acting is superb - even the non-actors. It actually kind of had a documentary feel to it at parts.

But man - this was just not for me. It was not enjoyable at all. It really was a slog for me to sit through. 

Well, I like movies with glacial or no plots better than most people do.  I thought it was beautiful.  Agree with you that the non-actors were superb, too.

15 minutes ago, The Man With No Name said:

So freaking good

Last night I watched a documentary called "Persona:  The Dark Truth Behind Personality Tests," because apparently my personality type is "person who watches documentaries about personality types." 

There was some really interesting stuff in this film, especially about Myers-Briggs, but ultimately I was disappointed with it.  Something (tragic) happens during the filming, which is covered about 1:05 in and I felt threw the filmmakers off and led them to lose their focus.  The whole film was overall just too scattered and lacking in cohesion.  I think they tried to tackle too much.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 1
26 minutes ago, The Man With No Name said:

Not yet. That’s next on my list of Kurosawa to watch.

1 hour ago, Don Quixote said:

Not yet. That’s next on my list of Kurosawa to watch.

2 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

After Ikiru I bumped High and Low and The Bad Sleep Well way up the queue.  

The Bad Sleep Well is good but if someone told me they thought High and Low was the best movie ever made, I wouldn't blink. 

We're about half way though I Care a Lot...writing feels a bit hokey/forced, but we'll finish it tonight to see how it plays out.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, El Floppo said:

We're about half way though I Care a Lot...writing feels a bit hokey/forced, but we'll finish it tonight to see how it plays out.

Haven't heard from anyone yet who liked it 

7 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Haven't heard from anyone yet who liked it 

Yeah...not worth the watch imo. I was reminded of later seasons of The Walking Dead.

• Sad 1

Coming 2 America - Watched this last night. As always, we can look to the wisdom of the Gin Blossoms. 

If you don't expect to much from it, you may not be let down.

1 hour ago, whoknew said:

Coming 2 America - Watched this last night. As always, we can look to the wisdom of the Gin Blossoms. 

If you don't expect to much from it, you may not be let down.

I regret watching it.  It was genuinely terrible.

• Like 1
On 3/5/2021 at 9:54 AM, Raging weasel said:

Last night I asked my wife if she was interested in watching Coming to America 2 this weekend. She said not really because she's never seen the first one😲 So then I asked her- how are we still married?🤣

lol this happened to me last night. All excited to watch the new one and my wife said “well shouldn’t I see the first one first?” 

me: :tumbleweed:

so we watched the first one. She loved it. 

Edited by Capella
  • Like 2
17 minutes ago, Capella said:

lol this happened to me last night. All excited to watch the new one and my wife said “well shouldn’t I see the first one first?” 

me: :tumbleweed:

so we watched the first one. She loved it. 

Is the first one streaming somewhere?

1 hour ago, Hoh said:

I regret watching it.  It was genuinely terrible.

I wouldnt say terrible but when the highlights of the movie are the flashbacks to the original, that's not good.

I think it is worth watching once for fans of the first one. That's about as positive a spin on it I can give.

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, jamny said:

I wouldnt say terrible but when the highlights of the movie are the flashbacks to the original, that's not good.

I think it is worth watching once for fans of the first one. That's about as positive a spin on it I can give.

I will admit it’s possible I slept through the better parts, but falling asleep in the first place is not a good sign.  (My wife tells me she envied me)

• Laughing 1

Notorious.   I will think about this one some more, but my gut was that it's a top tier Hitch, but not a favorite.   Maybe I was expecting more suspense and less romance?   It might be as simple as being more of a Jimmy Stewart fan than a Cary Grant fan.  Regardless, I am glad I got around to this one finally.  

• Like 1

Hadn't realized my wife had never seen "The wedding singer" so we watched it the other night.. She laughed quite a bit..

Not Sandler's best film, but also not even close to his worse.

Worth the watch just for the music nostalgia, a few laughs, and of course the Billy Idol Appearance. :) 

1 hour ago, snogger said:

Hadn't realized my wife had never seen "The wedding singer" so we watched it the other night.. She laughed quite a bit..

Not Sandler's best film, but also not even close to his worse.

Worth the watch just for the music nostalgia, a few laughs, and of course the Billy Idol Appearance. :) 

I think the rom/coms with Barrymore became some of our faves as I got older.  I always liked their chemistry.  Of course there is HG and BM, and the wife's fave might be Mr. Deeds and I like Big Daddy.  

12 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Notorious.   I will think about this one some more, but my gut was that it's a top tier Hitch, but not a favorite.   Maybe I was expecting more suspense and less romance?   It might be as simple as being more of a Jimmy Stewart fan than a Cary Grant fan.  Regardless, I am glad I got around to this one finally.  

Interesting because the last, maybe third, is all suspense. And that closing shot is :moneybag:

"Alex, will you come in, please? I wish to talk to you." 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Interesting because the last, maybe third, is all suspense. And that closing shot is :moneybag:

And Stewart wouldn’t have been right for that role at all. It needed Cary Grant. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

And Stewart wouldn’t have been right for that role at all. It needed Cary Grant. 

Not that he was right for that role, just that I prefer him in general.  

4 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Closing is awesome, but I guess i didn't feel the suspense as much as I do for Rear Window and others.  

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I think tonight it's looking like L.A. Confidential.  

I don't think that you will be disappointed.

I look forward to hearing your opinion of it.

• Like 1