Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition


Recommended Posts

Unhinged is showing on Amazon Prime. I had to check my brain out for much of this one but I was entertained. Russel Crowe I felt did a great job of playing a dude that just snaps. I bought his shtick. I was a little appalled at the weight gain, appalled enough I looked it up. I felt much better when I found he was wearing a fat suit for the movie. He carried it very realistically in my opinion.

Seemed like this was a re imagining of Falling Down with Michael Douglas which I also found very entertaining. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • KarmaPolice

    1540

  • Ilov80s

    1248

  • jdoggydogg

    1175

  • El Floppo

    972

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know those movies aren't really about him, right?

25th Anniversary of Fargo's release date was Monday. Watched it again last night for the umpteenth time. I still noticed new things. Marge Gunderson is one of cinema's all-time best heroes. 

The Accountant.  I think this may have been a great movie.  I'm tempted to go there.

I am nervous to watch the new Criterion release of In the Mood for Love. Apparently WKW, who supervised all of these restorations, added a major green tint to the film. He said it's how he actually wanted it to look. The screengrabs I have seen are pretty bad. I am really nervous because I thought the reds were what really stood out in the movie. 

  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched The head Hunter on AMC/shudder.. (you can do a free seven day trial)

 

pretty low budget of $30,000 which is insane. It’s sort of a Viking/horror movie, if you keep your expectations low you will probably love it if this is your cup of tea. 

 

I really wish they would reboot this at some point with a very big budget, I think it would do really well

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can sadly report that the In the Mood for Love 4k restoration WKW did does indeed have an obnoxious green tint on it. It seemed to diminish about 1/3 of the way through the movie. I am not sure if I simply adjusted to it or if this was intentional as it was also around the time that our 2 leads begin their relationship. Odd choice and I will have to compare it to the old DVD I have to see full differences. 

  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thief - I had never seen this so I watched it last night. I really enjoyed it. Its a very good movie. You can also definitely see that both this and Heat were Michael Mann movies. There was a lot of similar themes/scenes. Very entertaining movie.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, whoknew said:

Thief - I had never seen this so I watched it last night. I really enjoyed it. Its a very good movie. You can also definitely see that both this and Heat were Michael Mann movies. There was a lot of similar themes/scenes. Very entertaining movie.

All I remember was the Vangelis soundtrack and Caan (Caaaaan!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2021 at 12:35 PM, whoknew said:

Thief - I had never seen this so I watched it last night. I really enjoyed it. Its a very good movie. You can also definitely see that both this and Heat were Michael Mann movies. There was a lot of similar themes/scenes. Very entertaining movie.

Nice, that is a really good movie. Michael Mann came out pretty fully developed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If we had a search function, I'd find the posts where I asked about Bong Joon-ho's Memories of Murder.  I'm not sure anyone had seen it, but we discussed a little.  I watched about five days ago and wish I'd posted immediately so I would remember what I wanted to say, but because I'm old and I don't, let me just say:

SEE THIS MOVIE.

NOW.

It was brilliant, and I think maybe even better than Parasite - not as polished, but just as brilliant.  Think Coen Brothers meets Altman meets Kurosawa meets Lynch meets even freaking Wes Craven.  Can you picture it?  No?  Well, just see the movie.

Every time I thought I knew what was going to happen, I was so wrong.  But that wasn't because of some OMG twists or anything like that.  It was simply because every movie trope you are ready for and think you've seen before is stood on its head.

I need to watch this again in a while to catch everything I missed.  One of the best movies I've watched in years.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, krista4 said:

If we had a search function, I'd find the posts where I asked about Bong Joon-ho's Memories of Murder.  I'm not sure anyone had seen it, but we discussed a little.  I watched about five days ago and wish I'd posted immediately so I would remember what I wanted to say, but because I'm old and I don't, let me just say:

SEE THIS MOVIE.

NOW.

It was brilliant, and I think maybe even better than Parasite - not as polished, but just as brilliant.  Think Coen Brothers meets Altman meets Kurosawa meets Lynch meets even freaking Wes Craven.  Can you picture it?  No?  Well, just see the movie.

Every time I thought I knew what was going to happen, I was so wrong.  But that wasn't because of some OMG twists or anything like that.  It was simply because every movie trope you are ready for and think you've seen before is stood on its head.

I need to watch this again in a while to catch everything I missed.  One of the best movies I've watched in years.

Glad you loved this one.  It's been a bit since I've seen this one and a couple of his earlier movies, but my gut list had Mother a little higher than this one, and both above Parasite.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As some of you know, the highlight of my movie-watching year is to see the Oscar-nominated shorts.  Last year, due to COVID I wasn't able to get out and see these and didn't figure out where to watch them.  This year, my local art-house theater, which is still closed but where I've remained a member, had a special deal on streaming them.  Score!

So far I've only watched two sets, with the live-action shorts to come tomorrow.

Animated:  These are usually my favorites, but this year's crop was really disappointing.  My favorite was the French abstract/symbolist-style "Genius Loci."  It was gorgeous, but I didn't really understand what was happening until maybe halfway through, when I realized it was a woman's journey through her past and an existential crisis.  Or at least I think so.  I'm still not sure.  The others were cute but insubstantial ("Burrow" and "Yes People"), an exercise in show-off animation ("Opera"), or an overly manipulative attempt at garnering emotions from current events ("If Anything Happens I Love You").  I think the last of these - "If Anything Happens" - will win not only for the manipulation but the involvement of some big Hollywood names.  But the deserving winner here would be "Genius Loci."  Overall I can't say anyone needs to run to see any of these, though.

Documentary:  These are almost always brutal, and this year is no exception.  Four are tough watches in different ways, none more so than the doc "Hunger War" about the Yemeni war, which shows several children dying of malnutrition, people being bombed, etc.  I wouldn't have watched except I feel I have to, but while the subject matter was important, the doc actually wasn't terribly good even setting aside how hard it was to watch.  If you want to see these, I can't even recommend watching this one.  "A Concerto is a Conversation" is the sweetest and easiest to see, the only one not entirely brutal even though Jim Crow South figures heavily in, but compared to the others sort of "small."  "Colette," about a 90-year-old French woman visiting the concentration camp where her brother died, is the sort of doc that it seems would win any other year if it weren't for the final two.  It's lovely and gentle and heavy at the right times.  But the two standouts are "Do Not Split," about the 2019-2020 Hong Kong protests, consisting only of powerful live footage of the protests and interviews with the participants, and "Love Song to Latasha."  The latter is my favorite and also the one I think will win.  It focuses on the young girl who was killed in LA by a grocer in the early 90s who thought Latasha was stealing an orange juice (she wasn't).  I had a vague recollection of this incident, which was part of the impetus for the LA riots after the Rodney King verdict.  This is a beautiful pastiche of interviews, recollections, and re-imaginings of Latasha and her friends and who they were (there is no existing footage of Latasha herself).  It shows the tragedy in a loving, gentle way that is focused on who she was rather than (mostly) what happened to her.  It's gorgeous and unique.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Glad you loved this one.  It's been a bit since I've seen this one and a couple of his earlier movies, but my gut list had Mother a little higher than this one, and both above Parasite.   

Mother will be next for me after I finish the shorts and also watch "My Octopus Teacher."  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, krista4 said:

If we had a search function, I'd find the posts where I asked about Bong Joon-ho's Memories of Murder.  I'm not sure anyone had seen it, but we discussed a little.  I watched about five days ago and wish I'd posted immediately so I would remember what I wanted to say, but because I'm old and I don't, let me just say:

SEE THIS MOVIE.

NOW.

It was brilliant, and I think maybe even better than Parasite - not as polished, but just as brilliant.  Think Coen Brothers meets Altman meets Kurosawa meets Lynch meets even freaking Wes Craven.  Can you picture it?  No?  Well, just see the movie.

Every time I thought I knew what was going to happen, I was so wrong.  But that wasn't because of some OMG twists or anything like that.  It was simply because every movie trope you are ready for and think you've seen before is stood on its head.

I need to watch this again in a while to catch everything I missed.  One of the best movies I've watched in years.

This movie might be at the top of my watchlist. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, krista4 said:

If we had a search function, I'd find the posts where I asked about Bong Joon-ho's Memories of Murder.  I'm not sure anyone had seen it, but we discussed a little.  I watched about five days ago and wish I'd posted immediately so I would remember what I wanted to say, but because I'm old and I don't, let me just say:

SEE THIS MOVIE.

NOW.

It was brilliant, and I think maybe even better than Parasite - not as polished, but just as brilliant.  Think Coen Brothers meets Altman meets Kurosawa meets Lynch meets even freaking Wes Craven.  Can you picture it?  No?  Well, just see the movie.

Every time I thought I knew what was going to happen, I was so wrong.  But that wasn't because of some OMG twists or anything like that.  It was simply because every movie trope you are ready for and think you've seen before is stood on its head.

I need to watch this again in a while to catch everything I missed.  One of the best movies I've watched in years.

... not too much hype up in the bolded, eh? 

that's one hell of an endorsement - can it live up?

HUH?

hope to answer that by sunset tomorrow ✌

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dropped the ball on the Oscar noms.  :(   Looks like 3 are still $20, so I probably won't do them.  I will at least catch up with Nomadland, and it looks like all the Docs are available on Hulu, Prime, or NF.   2 foreign ones are on Hulu and the other 2 are $5 or less.   We will see what I can knock out this week.

At least I have an actual day off on Thursday since the kiddos are back to full time in person school! :towelwave:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wife and I watched News of the World with Tom Hanks.

Honestly don't understand the high praise and ratings. Very slow, very little action, no big payoff.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just dropped the $20 renting Nobody--wow, what a fun move!! My wife was not excited about it at all and by the end of movie she and my 16 year old daughter were all yelling at the screen and enjoying it.. Just a great, violent movie..... I may watch it again before my rental time runs out. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Let the Right One In (2008)

&

It Follows (2014)

dunno if i've touted these two at all here, but ... they are both so luxuriously drenched in such surreal ambiance - these reach far beyond the tentacles of "horror" - and to see them dismissed by those who avoid the genre is ridiculous. said snobs have no clue what they're missing out on. 

matter of fact, run 'em as a double feature, then get back to me once you've scraped your jaw off the floor. 

so much love 💘 i have for these. 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, otb_lifer said:

Let the Right One In (2008)

&

It Follows (2014)

dunno if i've touted these two at all here, but ... they are both so luxuriously drenched in such surreal ambiance - these reach far beyond the tentacles of "horror" - and to see them dismissed by those who avoid the genre is ridiculous. said snobs have no clue what they're missing out on. 

matter of fact, run 'em as a double feature, then get back to me once you've scraped your jaw off the floor. 

so much love 💘 i have for these. 

 

If the first one is the swedish original, hell yeah. I watched it follows late one night- not as good, but strangely compelling. Sum greater than the parts.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, otb_lifer said:

Let the Right One In (2008)

&

It Follows (2014)

dunno if i've touted these two at all here, but ... they are both so luxuriously drenched in such surreal ambiance - these reach far beyond the tentacles of "horror" - and to see them dismissed by those who avoid the genre is ridiculous. said snobs have no clue what they're missing out on. 

matter of fact, run 'em as a double feature, then get back to me once you've scraped your jaw off the floor. 

so much love 💘 i have for these. 

 

I love both, but I think It Folllows is more polarizing around these parts.   IMO it had some of the scariest moments I've seen in movies in the last decade or so.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

If the first one is the swedish original, hell yeah. 

yes ... Lina Leandersson's performance is beyond words - she chews up every last second she's on film. her chemistry with Oskar so deeply belies their ages ... it's a remarkable flick. 

10 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I watched it follows late one night- not as good, but strangely compelling. Sum greater than the parts.

the scene where they are driving to/through Detroit, looking for Hugh's digs ... no dialogue, just the ambient music weaving thru the dreamscape - perfectly emblematic of all i love about the direction they took with the production. 

i get lost in it every time i treat myself to another viewing ... it's the "shoegaze" of horror, if you will.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

it's the "shoegaze" of horror, if you will.  

Dame, that's the perfect description of it.

 

Eta...lol, my ####### phone. Damn. Not dame.

Edited by El Floppo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't know what some of these Oscar nominated movies are about, but there doesn't seem to be too many "fun" ones in the bunch.  Sat down last night to check something off the list, but for sure wasn't in the mood for something too hard, so the wife and I ended up watching Soul.   

I thought it was a bit hit or miss, but overall very good.   It tries to do similar as Inside Out - distilling complex emotions and concepts down, but for it was at it's worst when we were in the Great Before (I think that's what it's called?), and was fantastic when it was those 2 in NY.  Some very touching moments, well worth the watch, I think I would have just rather had less time in the weird zone.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I didn't know what some of these Oscar nominated movies are about, but there doesn't seem to be too many "fun" ones in the bunch. 

YES!

:popcorn:

ETA: SPOILERS ABOUT SOME OSCAR NOMINATED FLICKS UP IN THERE - PROCEED WITH CAUTION

start at 1:30 mark to avoid. 

Edited by otb_lifer
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Best Picture movies being a bit of downers is certainly normal. Some years might be a bit more downbeat than others but typically fun movies don't get as much "serious" recognition. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Best Picture movies being a bit of downers is certainly normal. Some years might be a bit more downbeat than others but typically fun movies don't get as much "serious" recognition. 

of course ... and a salty gadfly like him certainly knows that - but his bigger point is skewering the current state of the industry as a whole, and that's a spanking that's come overdue, imo. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

of course ... and a salty gadfly like him certainly knows that - but his bigger point is skewering the current state of the industry as a whole, and that's a spanking that's come overdue, imo. 

PT Anderson has made a career of downer movies. Different subjects and good casts, but nearly always the same misery by the end. But of course, he is revered with critics praise and Oscar nominations for these depressathons. His films really typify this trend. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, otb_lifer said:

YES!

:popcorn:

ETA: SPOILERS ABOUT SOME OSCAR NOMINATED FLICKS UP IN THERE - PROCEED WITH CAUTION

start at 1:30 mark to avoid. 

I saw that and laughed.  But yeah- was a bit annoyed by spoilers.  

If I remember right, I disagreed with his take away.  Movies at their best are able to transport you into others perspectives and experiences.  I don't think people making them are purposely trying to make people miserable, its just the stories they are drawn to.   

I also don't think these movies are made to be watched as a marathon.  Throw some Happy Gilmore in there or something.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Best Picture movies being a bit of downers is certainly normal. Some years might be a bit more downbeat than others but typically fun movies don't get as much "serious" recognition. 

Of course, the focus has been more on heavy dramas.  I thought the trend was looking like would at least throw in a Black Panther or the like since expanding the number of picks.  could be wrong- I didn't go back the last few years or anything.  

Also, movies sometimes reflect the psychology of the population, and maybe people weren't too upbeat about the state of things a few years ago when these went into production.  it's also a weird year b/c there were no theater releases.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I saw that and laughed.  But yeah- was a bit annoyed by spoilers.  

If I remember right, I disagreed with his take away.  Movies at their best are able to transport you into others perspectives and experiences.  I don't think people making them are purposely trying to make people miserable, its just the stories they are drawn to.   

I also don't think these movies are made to be watched as a marathon.  Throw some Happy Gilmore in there or something.  

again, as i replied to 80s ... he's runnin' the industry an overdue tanning ... the gist of it, imo, was his quote towards the end: "you used to watch a movie and wonder who the bad guy was ... now it's YOU"

/fin.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Of course, the focus has been more on heavy dramas.  I thought the trend was looking like would at least throw in a Black Panther or the like since expanding the number of picks.  could be wrong- I didn't go back the last few years or anything.  

Also, movies sometimes reflect the psychology of the population, and maybe people weren't too upbeat about the state of things a few years ago when these went into production.  it's also a weird year b/c there were no theater releases.  

Not many of those Black Panther style movies really came out this year because of the pandemic. Tenet was the only one and the consensus on that seemed to be that it was just ok. Palm Springs would have been the fun one I would have nominated but for a lot of reasons that was way off the Oscar radar. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My general rebuttal to Mahr

1. These movies were planned and filmed before COVID so that is really unfair to expect the movie industry to have known a pandemic was coming and to have planned their release schedule around it 

2. The fun movies weren't released because those are the movies that make money. Why would a studio put out a movie they spent $200 million on when theaters are closed?

3. The movies have been trending far more to escapism. Look at the highest grossing 20 movies every year, all escapism with super heroes, space pilots, fast and furious, 007, cartoons and dinosaurs. 

But hey Bill needs content every week. Something to yell about. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

again, as i replied to 80s ... he's runnin' the industry an overdue tanning ... the gist of it, imo, was his quote towards the end: "you used to watch a movie and wonder who the bad guy was ... now it's YOU"

/fin.

 

Ah yes, that's the part that I didn't agree with.  Not going to turn this into tge PSF more than I did above.   No matter how sad or bleak the story, I don't feel like it's my fault or I'm the bad guy, and I don't feel like that's the intent of the filmmaker either.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Movies have pretty much lost the ability to be archetypal, and that was kind of its business. I'm not going to complain for the umpteenth time that we are longer arguing with the gods but with ourselves, and will continue to hope that what few visionaries visit themselves upon the art do not get sucked up by the money/hero or justice/hero wheels.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Taking the plunge on Trial of the Chicago 7 now....slick Boomer nostalgia porn so far, I see why the Academy gave it so many nominations. 

 

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished off the Oscar-nominated shorts last night with the live-action group.  I'd say overall this is the best bunch this year (while it's usually my third-favorite), as they were all good.  Given the political climate, I expect the winner to be Two Distant Strangers, a reinvented "Groundhog Day" showing the interaction between a Black graphic artist and a White policeman.  The performances in this one were outstanding, and it was slickly directed and edited, but I found it a bit heavy-handed.  If that one doesn't win, I think it will be The Letter Room, about a corrections officer in charge of screening letters to prisoners.  It's surprisingly upbeat and stars Oscar Isaacs in a role so different than you'd expect (and in a heavy mustache) that I didn't recognize him.  I just kept thinking, "this guy is way too good-looking for this sad-sack role."  With an actual movie star in it (it was written and directed by his wife) and a surprising warmth, it might be appealing to voters.

My two favorites were The Present, a Palestinian short about a man and his daughter traveling back and forth to Bethlehem to buy a refrigerator, and Feeling Through, which sees a homeless teenager late at night suddenly in charge of getting a blind-deaf man to his home.  Both of these were simply a day in the life of regular people who are struggling, and they were touching without being sappy, and heartbreaking without the heavy-handedness of Two Distant Strangers.  The fifth nominee is White Eye, an Israeli short about a man trying to get back his stolen bike.  Like the rest, this was compelling, and it was also to me the saddest of the bunch.

I hope someone else will end up seeing the shorts so we can discuss them!

Edited by krista4
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched Promising Young Woman and really liked it. Mulligan was great. It was odd in places, but overall well done. I probably like revenge films more than the average person.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Trial of the Chicago 7 is ok. It's easily entertaining and uplifting. Seems exactly like the kind of movie Bill Mahr was asking for. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

My general rebuttal to Mahr

1. These movies were planned and filmed before COVID so that is really unfair to expect the movie industry to have known a pandemic was coming and to have planned their release schedule around it 

2. The fun movies weren't released because those are the movies that make money. Why would a studio put out a movie they spent $200 million on when theaters are closed?

3. The movies have been trending far more to escapism. Look at the highest grossing 20 movies every year, all escapism with super heroes, space pilots, fast and furious, 007, cartoons and dinosaurs. 

But hey Bill needs content every week. Something to yell about. 

Correct.   Thankfully for @Mr. Mojo, and unfortunately for me it's not like the studios are just churning out PTA movies. Plenty of options, and we can't pretend like the Academy used to be about Jurassic park and now it's not. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Wait, wasn't Da 5 Bloods up for some awards?   I could have sworn it was on my list before, but now I don't see any nominations anywhere.  :oldunsure:

Delroy Lindo should have been nominated for Best Actor. But was not.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, whoknew said:

Delroy Lindo should have been nominated for Best Actor. But was not.

Totally agree, he was fantastic. 

9 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Wait, wasn't Da 5 Bloods up for some awards?   I could have sworn it was on my list before, but now I don't see any nominations anywhere.  :oldunsure:

I think maybe some Golden Globe noms?

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Correct.   Thankfully for @Mr. Mojo, and unfortunately for me it's not like the studios are just churning out PTA movies. Plenty of options, and we can't pretend like the Academy used to be about Jurassic park and now it's not. 

HFS

again ... we all know that, as does Maher - he just decided to couch his bit around the best pic nominees ... of which even you said: 

9 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

I didn't know what some of these Oscar nominated movies are about, but there doesn't seem to be too many "fun" ones in the bunch. 

so, seems as if you kinda agree - and it was that quote from you that prompted my posting of the clip, because it fit as snugly as possible around your thoughts on those flicks. 

 

man, ol' Billy really touched a nerve here, and i believe i know exactly why, but i'm not gonna go PSF here - or there ... or anywhere. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this was just a weird year for movies. Last year had a black comedy in Parasite win. A number of pretty entertaining movies were nominated too: Jojo Rabbit, Ford v Ferrari, and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Good action drama in 1917. It seems weird to bash when we are just one year removed from that (although it feels so much longer ago, as quite a year it was).

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...