• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KarmaPolice

• Ilov80s

• jdoggydogg

• El Floppo

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

25th Anniversary of Fargo's release date was Monday. Watched it again last night for the umpteenth time. I still noticed new things. Marge Gunderson is one of cinema's all-time best heroes. 

You know those movies aren't really about him, right?

"When an actor comes to me and wants to discuss his character, I say, 'It's in the script.' If he says, 'But what's my motivation?, ' I say, 'Your salary.'" -Alfred Hitchcock

On 4/19/2021 at 6:05 PM, KarmaPolice said:

How dare you, sir!!  Lost Boys is a perfect movie.  

100% agree.

7 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Money Train.   Wttf?? :lmao:

Another buddy film cashing in on Snipes and Harrelson's magical on screen bond. Tour de farce for sure.

9 hours ago, Osaurus said:

Another buddy film cashing in on Snipes and Harrelson's magical on screen bond. Tour de farce for sure.

I didn't know WTF was going on.  On their whole job was to act drunk and entrap people into stealing their jewelry? WTF kind of cops were these?   The scene where the two ladies were going to kidnap Snipes for their sexual escapes was :moneybag:

Edited by KarmaPolice
  • Love 1

The United States vs Billie Holiday is indeed as bad as I've heard. Just a mess. Feels like this should have been a 10 episode Netflix series. Andra Day is good and has some real singing/acting chops but the movie is all over the freaking place. 

Edited by Ilov80s

My Octopus Teacher was outstanding.  Like the best of Planet Earth cinematography but with a deeply human connection.  The only tiny downside was that it was so clear this guy was in love with the octopus that it was slightly creepy and I was afraid he was going to put a dress and lipstick on her.  

I had avoided this one for a while, because I love eating octopus.  I've probably eaten more of it than anyone you know, but a year or so I stopped eating it out of guilt regarding how smart they are.  I knew if I watched this movie I'd never eat it again.  Bye bye, delicious octopus dishes!

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
2 hours ago, krista4 said:

My Octopus Teacher was outstanding.  Like the best of Planet Earth cinematography but with a deeply human connection.  The only tiny downside was that it was so clear this guy was in love with the octopus that it was slightly creepy and I was afraid he was going to put a dress and lipstick on her.  

I had avoided this one for a while, because I love eating octopus.  I've probably eaten more of it than anyone you know, but a year or so I stopped eating it out of guilt regarding how smart they are.  I knew if I watched this movie I'd never eat it again.  Bye bye, delicious octopus dishes!

Same here, it so good but it's really quite cruel to eat them. If I had more guts and was more organized, I would be a vegetarian. 

• Like 2

Finally watched End of Watch recently.  Not bad.  Was better than I anticipated,  I also didn't know all the other people that were in it besides the 2 main actors.

• Like 1
On 4/18/2021 at 4:09 PM, Mr. Mojo said:

I watched Promising Young Woman and really liked it. Mulligan was great. It was odd in places, but overall well done. I probably like revenge films more than the average person.

The wife and I went to Regal Theaters yesterday and saw a double-feature.

I loved Promising Young Woman.  I thought the story was great and twice it went in a direction that I didn't see coming.  And I agree that Carey Mulligan was outstanding.  Even playing a crazy chick she is still smoking.

My wife preferred The Courier with Benedict Cumberbatch.  I thought it was good too, just not as good as PYW.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, PlayaHata said:

The wife and I went to Regal Theaters yesterday and saw a double-feature.

I loved Promising Young Woman.  I thought the story was great and twice it went in a direction that I didn't see coming.  And I agree that Carey Mulligan was outstanding.  Even playing a crazy chick she is still smoking.

My wife preferred The Courier with Benedict Cumberbatch.  I thought it was good too, just not as good as PYW.

Going to see Promising Young Woman at the theater tomorrow. I will also rent The Father and Minari this weekend which will mean I've seen most of the major Oscar nominees this year. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Going to see Promising Young Woman at the theater tomorrow. I will also rent The Father and Minari this weekend which will mean I've seen most of the major Oscar nominees this year. 

glad to see those keeping up the chase - easy access, worthy field or not.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

glad to see those keeping up the chase - easy access, worthy field or not.

It isn't an all time great year, that is for sure. However, given what the year was like, it's a solid set of films. There are definitely worse collections of nominees. This is definitely the year of the small, quiet indie movie. 

17 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I need to watch The Father.  Guess I'd better do it today!

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

It isn't an all time great year, that is for sure. However, given what the year was like, it's a solid set of films. There are definitely worse collections of nominees. This is definitely the year of the small, quiet indie movie. 

i'm down widdat. the world i was born into didnt really know each other too well and it was movies and television that taught me how to convert new information about others and elsewheres into knowledge and sometimes knowledge into wisdom. that's still what it does best. i use film to go to places & sitches & outlooks i cant or wouldnt go on my own, so i'm excited that more of the world is making itself available to me that way. i wanna hear everybody's story but, eventually & inevitably, i want to see it connected to Human Momentum because that's where storytelling becomes an ingredient of progress, in art, in living, in the art of living. and i want it to stop before it involves superheroes and stunt logic. happy Oscars!

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 1

The first 15 min of Raiders of the Lost Ark are really incredible...I remember thinking maybe I need another bathroom trip before it picks up, then never left my seat (teenage bladder).

Edited by gump

Promising Young Woman was good. I knew it was some kind of rape revenge movie but not much else. It's really a black comedy thriller and was flashy, easily accessible and yet also terribly uncomfortable. Incredible balancing act. Though I can see how it may really turn off some people. You have to be able to laugh while also dealing with some of the worst human behaviors possible. Also, it makes me think Bill Mahr hasn't seen all these movies when he went on his rant because while the subject matter is grim, the movie itself is far from a depressing slog. 

• Like 2

Just finished The Father.  I didn’t know much about it and was blown away by how the writer/director puts you into the position of feeling like you have dementia.  I was off-kilter throughout and still feel upset at how jarring it was.  Incredible filmmaking and an astonishing performance by Hopkins.  He remains in the running with Robert Duvall as the best actor I’ve seen.

ETA:  Not necessarily recommending this one to everyone.  It’s unbelievably depressing.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 1
Just now, Ilov80s said:

@krista4 what did you think of Promising Young Woman? 

Found it hilarious and loved it.  I wrote a review in here somewhere but don’t remember what I said.  Probably went on and on about Mulligan’s performance.  Hope she wins tomorrow.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Found it hilarious and loved it.  I wrote a review in here somewhere but don’t remember what I said.  Probably went on and on about Mulligan’s performance.  Hope she wins tomorrow.

I will see if I can find that. We are on the same page here though I might give Vanessa Kirby the edge. Both were really good. I was expecting it to be much more gruesome than it was based on some of the major backlash it has gotten. A lot of people really did not like it at all. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, krista4 said:

Just finished The Father.  I didn’t know much about it and was blown away by how the writer/director puts you into the position of feeling like you have dementia.  I was off-kilter throughout and still feel upset at how jarring it was.  Incredible filmmaking and an astonishing performance by Hopkins.  He remains in the running with Robert Duvall as the best actor I’ve seen.

ETA:  Not necessarily recommending this one to everyone.  It’s unbelievably depressing.

Firing this up for the wife tomorrow. 

• Thinking 1

Huh...while I saw the points made by you guys about Promising Young Woman, I found it lacking. Something in the writing made the tone come across too forced for me- felt like it tried too hard for conversations to not be natural or real, so you could more easily read the movie as comedy. And while I thought Mulligan put on a solid performance, she seemed much too old for the part looks wise. Found that casting choice distracting throughout.

8 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Huh...while I saw the points made by you guys about Promising Young Woman, I found it lacking. Something in the writing made the tone come across too forced for me- felt like it tried too hard for conversations to not be natural or real, so you could more easily read the movie as comedy. And while I thought Mulligan put on a solid performance, she seemed much too old for the part looks wise. Found that casting choice distracting throughout.

Mulligan is 35. Brie is 38, Lowell is 36, Greenfield is 40 and Burnham is 30. So Bo was the one that was perhaps miscast agewise. Mulligan perhaps looks a bit more aged than the others and maybe that is intentional since she's the one who isn't doing well and is unhappy. Also, I don't think it was meant to be real. The Night of the Hunter references and frozen  in 1978 decor of her parents home I think were meant to signal that this is sort of fantasy world. Maybe that didn't work for you, but I think it was the aim of the movie. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1
On 4/4/2021 at 8:26 PM, mr fancypants said:

Viewed Minari last night and you can put me in the the meh category. The acting and cinematography were both very good but felt like it just kind of meandered around and then just ended after a couple of hours without much of the main story line remaining unresolved.

I feel the same way. I liked all the characters, the relationship between the boy and his grandmother was really unique and interesting. However, the movie was just slow and I kept having to fight the urge to look at my phone, disengage. It was fine but didn't work for me. 

Edited by Ilov80s
On 4/22/2021 at 12:52 PM, Ilov80s said:

Same here, it so good but it's really quite cruel to eat them. If I had more guts and was more organized, I would be a vegetarian. 

Off topic maybe, but if you could teach an old dog new tricks and I had the wherewithal, I'd be a vegan. Just healthier and more ethical given what we know now about animals, pain, and intelligence. Perhaps, ilov, we can work on a resolution someday to do this together.

Or not. :lol:

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Off topic maybe, but if you could teach an old dog new tricks and I had the wherewithal, I'd be a vegan. Just healthier and more ethical given what we know now about animals, pain, and intelligence. Perhaps, ilov, we can work on a resolution someday to do this together.

I’ve been vegetarian or pescatarian at many times in my adult life, but the hurdle to veganism has always been cheese.  I have a mostly vegan friend who’s been pushing some vegan cheeses on me recently, though, and they’ve come a long way.  Some are quite good.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, krista4 said:

I’ve been vegetarian or pescatarian at many times in my adult life, but the hurdle to veganism has always been cheese.  I have a mostly vegan friend who’s been pushing some vegan cheeses on me recently, though, and they’ve come a long way.  Some are quite good.

I don't think I would ever go vegan. Maybe I am poorly informed, but I don't see anything inherently cruel in cheese, milk and even eggs, etc. I am sure how that is obtained in modern society is problematic but I could find local farms and such. 

2 hours ago, rockaction said:

I've cut out a lot of pork and red meat. Now I eat that 1x-2x a month. Usually in the summer if out and someone is grilling burgers, hot dogs  or serving brisket. Also I do get the occasional hankering for a steak. About 3 years ago I was doing pretty well also eliminating a lot of meat and relying more seafood and veggies. It is tough though as my wife doesn't much care for fish. It's something I should attempt again. I definitely want to. 

• Like 2

the modern currency of ideas & ingredients would make it almost foolish not to start out veggie-based anymore. when i went vegan as a kid after grossing myself out gnawing at a stringy piece of stew meat @ a soup kitchen 50 years ago, i just couldnt sustain it for lack of options - i never saw the sense nor taste in veggie substitutes for meat products. now i can have a curry, tagine or cassoulet, stuffed tostone, kimchi fried rice or cauliflower steak at home with a simple corner-market shop and ideas from TV.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, wikkidpissah said:

the modern currency of ideas & ingredients would make it almost foolish not to start out veggie-based anymore. when i went vegan as a kid after grossing myself out gnawing at a stringy piece of stew meat @ a soup kitchen 50 years ago, i just couldnt sustain it for lack of options - i never saw the sense nor taste in veggie substitutes for meat products. now i can have a curry, tagine or cassoulet, stuffed tostone, kimchi fried rice or cauliflower steak at home with a simple corner-market shop and ideas from TV.

I was a vegetarian when I moved to Memphis in 2009, and that fell by the wayside quickly in the land of BBQ and deep-fried everything.  It's certainly a lot easier now - so many fabulous options.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Ilov80s said:
On 4/4/2021 at 5:26 PM, mr fancypants said:

Viewed Minari last night and you can put me in the the meh category. The acting and cinematography were both very good but felt like it just kind of meandered around and then just ended after a couple of hours without much of the main story line remaining unresolved.

I feel the same way. I liked all the characters, the relationship between the boy and his grandmother was really unique and interesting. However, the movie was just slow and I kept having to right the urge to look at my phone, disengage. It was fine but didn't work for me. 

I had a more positive initial reaction to this movie than you guys, but I've come around to the idea that it's just pretty good, not great.  Nothing about it has stuck with me other than the performance from the grandmother.

• Like 1

Ok, finished up my weekend trifecta with The Father. Excellent movie that does an incredible job of putting the audience into the POV of a person with dementia. Hopkins is as good as ever in this. I was a little kid when dad's mom went through this and it left me with really bad memories and some fear this is how either my dad will end up or maybe how I will end up.  Also Hopkins character really was like a 10 year older British version of my friend's dad (who has started to slip the last couple years) and that was mind blowing. I warned him he might not want to watch this. Overall, just a really well done movie. 

If I had an Oscar vote

Supporting Actor: Paul Raci, Sound of Metal

Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried, Mank

Costume Design: Mank

Production Design: Mank

Original Screenplay: Emerald Fennel, Promising Young Woman

Adapted Screenplay: One Night in Miami, Kemp Powers

Sound: Sound of Metal

Cinematography: Joshua James Richards, Nomadland

Editing: Chloe Zhao, Nomadland 

Director: Chloe Zhao, Nomandland 

Actor: Anthony Hopkins for The Father (but would file an official complaint that Delroy Lindo was off the ballot as he would get my vote)

Actress: Vanessa Kirby for Pieces of a Woman

Picture: Nomandland (was not my favorite and isn't the movie I would return to watch over and over but if we look at how well it was conceived, made, acted and it's success for doing what it set out to do, it's probably the most deserving)

• Like 2
7 hours ago, El Floppo said:

My wife and I loved the movie, but I felt the same thing about Mulligan's age. I just never believed she was 30 throughout the movie. I was distracted by it as well. She did a great job though. 

7 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Mulligan is 35. Brie is 38, Lowell is 36, Greenfield is 40 and Burnham is 30. So Bo was the one that was perhaps miscast agewise. Mulligan perhaps looks a bit more aged than the others and maybe that is intentional since she's the one who isn't doing well and is unhappy. Also, I don't think it was meant to be real. The Night of the Hunter references and frozen  in 1978 decor of her parents home I think were meant to signal that this is sort of fantasy world. Maybe that didn't work for you, but I think it was the aim of the movie. 

I got all of those references during the movie... enjoyed it. but still, the writing didn't work for me within that context. yeah- Mulligan looked old to me, regardless of her or other's actual ages. if that was the intent- and given it's a movie world where they can choose to make her look as old or young as they like, I have to assume it was- ok. just didn't work for me for the character. 

• Like 1

Snowfall

FX does it again. This drama about drug trade in 1980s Los Angeles is just great. Whatever drama you're watching right now, I bet it's not much better than Snowfall.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, jdoggydogg said:

Snowfall

FX does it again. This drama about drug trade in 1980s Los Angeles is just great. Whatever drama you're watching right now, I bet it's not much better than Snowfall.

I've heard that is awesome. Is it a TV show or movie? Or is it kind of like a miniseries? 

Edited by Ilov80s

Watched The French Connection this weekend. It was nicely shot but why is this considered one of the great films ever? Seemed like a slightly better cat and mouse movie. 

The car chase scene was awesome. Very impressive for its time. 

Edited by Capella
  • Like 4
9 hours ago, Capella said:

Watched The French Connection this weekend. It was nicely shot but why is this considered one of the great films ever? Seemed like a slightly better cat and mouse movie. 

Yeah I don't think it is a movie that has held up well either. It's status comes from being gritty in a way that movies really hadn't been yet. Also it was shot with that frantic, more realistic style which was also edgy for the time. French Connection is more about being the first of something than being the best IMO. 

• Like 4

@Capella illustrates  a good point about reserving too much conviction over these Oscar awards. People complain about who won what and what deserved to win but we aren't always good at answering that question in real time. It takes 5-10-15 years for these opinions to really crystallize. The Artist for example won Best Picture at almost every major award show and was universally loved. Within a year or 2 of winning,  everyone flipped their opinions and it's now often ranked as one of the least deserving winners. American Beauty was something everyone was talking about and seemed to really capture the zeitgeist of 1999-2000. If a 20 year old watches that movie now, they will be like "what the creepy #### is this?" Then you had movies like Citizen Kane, It's a Wonderful Like and basically Hitchcock's entire filmography that were recognized at the time but certainly not pegged as the best movies ever made or anything historic. It was decades later than people came around to them as being truly special. 

Not too different than how we and the media just NFL draft classes the day after the draft when things tend to look a lot different 5 years later. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Capella said:

you answered your own question

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

@Capella illustrates  a good point about reserving too much conviction over these Oscar awards. People complain about who won what and what deserved to win but we aren't always good at answering that question in real time. It takes 5-10-15 years for these opinions to really crystallize. The Artist for example won Best Picture at almost every major award show and was universally loved. Within a year or 2 of winning,  everyone flipped their opinions and it's now often ranked as one of the least deserving winners. American Beauty was something everyone was talking about and seemed to really capture the zeitgeist of 1999-2000. If a 20 year old watches that movie now, they will be like "what the creepy #### is this?" Then you had movies like Citizen Kane, It's a Wonderful Like and basically Hitchcock's entire filmography that were recognized at the time but certainly not pegged as the best movies ever made or anything historic. It was decades later than people came around to them as being truly special. 

Not too different than how we and the media just NFL draft classes the day after the draft when things tend to look a lot different 5 years later. 

true.

night of the hunter- pretty panned, IIRC, when it came out and forgotten until years later. now considered a classic.

waterworld- ditto.

• Thinking 1
1 hour ago, El Floppo said:
13 hours ago, Capella said:

you answered your own question

+1 on all this.  It doesn't hold up, but for the car chase scene.

• Like 1
On 4/26/2021 at 4:08 AM, Ilov80s said:

I've heard that is awesome. Is it a TV show or movie? Or is it kind of like a miniseries? 

Series. Closest analog I can think of is The Wire. 

• Like 1