Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition

41 minutes ago, PlayaHata said:

Saw this tonight and loved it.  I think I actually liked it better than John Wick.  Very well done for a movie in that genre.

I like Wick and Nobody almost equally, but I can see why you prefer Nobody. Very fun to watch, and it's not easy to make an action film that feels fresh. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KarmaPolice

• Ilov80s

• jdoggydogg

• El Floppo

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

25th Anniversary of Fargo's release date was Monday. Watched it again last night for the umpteenth time. I still noticed new things. Marge Gunderson is one of cinema's all-time best heroes. 

You know those movies aren't really about him, right?

Finally got around to seeing The Accountant.  I will preface this comment by stating that I am not a Ben Affleck fan at all.  The only two movies I liked him in were Dazed and Confused and Good Will H

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, krista4 said:

True Grit?  I didn't see the remake but think it was well received.

Yeah, hard to think of many "classics" that were remade well.

The remake was excellent in it's photography, sets and related areas.

But with the actual characters, the original was much better. The Mattie character had some bad lines in the remake where I was rolling my eyes, and the ending was pretty bad, too. The ending of the original, with Rooster's final line was excellent.

Edited by Mr. Mojo
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, krista4 said:

True Grit?  I didn't see the remake but think it was well received.

Yeah, hard to think of many "classics" that were remade well.

Robocop down? :lol:

On 5/6/2021 at 10:30 PM, KarmaPolice said:

There are some good ones, yes.   The Thing is another one.  

Mostly joking, but yeah - the list of terrible remakes is a hell of a lot longer than good ones.  

Good ones that I have seen off the top of my head (I generally don't go for them, especially great ones, and I don't/wan't watch them) -

Yojimbo - A Fistful of Dollars
Scarface
Ocean's 11 (Eleven)
The Fly
Cape Fear
3:10 to Yuma
Little Shop of Horror's
The Man Who Knew Too Much (both by Alfred Hitchcock)
The Front Page - His Girl Friday

Maybe more I can't think of at the moment. But generally, why do a remake of a great film? Makes no sense to me. Reamake the bad ones and make them good

• Like 2

Since talking remakes, what movie would you most want to see remade and why? Can be a classic or a flop.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Since talking remakes, what movie would you most want to see remade and why? Can be a classic or a flop.

Waterworld.

Hard to improve upon the original masterwork, but the concept certainly seems apt these days and maybe flesh out a couple of sub plots.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
37 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Smokey and the Bandit.

Matthew McConaughey is the Bandit smuggling weed from Colorado to Atlanta. Snoop is Cledus.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

Waterworld.

Hard to improve upon the original masterwork, but the concept certainly seems apt these days and maybe flesh out a couple of sub plots.

I’m a closet fan 

some serious plot holes and cheesy writing but amazing premise 

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

Waterworld.

Never a big fan of this one.

A poor man's Road Warrior, only on water.

36 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

I’m a closet fan 

some serious plot holes and cheesy writing but amazing premise 

Seems like a movie that a lot of people have come around to actually like quite a bit. Similar to Gates of Heaven. I need to watch it, haven't seen it since it first came out. 

4 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Seems like a movie that a lot of people have come around to actually like quite a bit. Similar to Gates of Heaven. I need to watch it, haven't seen it since it first came out. 

ok... but seriously... it's terrible. doesn't stop me from loving it, because I love the post-apoc genre in general, and dug the boat. but get rid of dennis hopper and the exxon valdez jet skiers and make it more of about the survivors using actual resources... fascinating to me at least. biblical noah undercurrents and ok, keep the mutation stuff as a correlation/stand-in for a place for people to focus their bigotry.

one of my favorite smaller movies is a french one called "when the cat's away" (chacun cherche son chat) about a young woman in a neighborhood in paris undergoing gentrification. they used a mix of professional actors with local non-trained people- loved the look and feel of inhabiting a real place going through real things... can easily see it translated to most US cities and updated (the soundtrack was fantastic)

or maybe redo the star wars movies with a bunch of racist stereo type aliens, wooden acting, worse dialogue, robots and shiny spaceships.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1
43 minutes ago, identikit said:

Never a big fan of this one.

A poor man's Road Warrior, only on water.

well... yeah. and?

• Love 1
  • Laughing 1
3 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

For my tastes, it would have to be something not great (why remake it then), but has a good core premise and maybe hasn't aged well.   So my usual answer is The Running Man.    IMO it could be kick ### in the right hands - yeah, I'm talking about you Mr. Villeneuve! 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

The first 25 minutes of West Side Story is guys chasing each other and jumping off of walls while sporadically yelling JETS as they run off. 

Edited by Capella
3 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I was  excited about all the planned Universal Monsters remakes. Then the Mummy with Tom Cruise tanked so bad they axed the whole plan.

An actual scary version of the Creature From the Black Lagoon could be cool.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, belljr said:

Nighthawks or Blue Thunder

Both get rating of 6.4 at IMDB.com. Nighthawks deserves better.

Rotten tomatoes,. Nighthawks ratings- critics 70%, fans 55%. Critics got that one right.

Blue Thunder, critics 78%, fans 52%, I liked it, but it's not a "i'll watch it again"

Nighthawks is worth watching multiple times just for Rutger Hauer.

I'd like to see a remake of The Eiger Sanction.

4 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

well, nobody's made Gatsby or Wuthering Heights right yet and i'm quite pissed that i'll be dead before the next time they try either again

21 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

well, nobody's made Gatsby or Wuthering Heights right yet and i'm quite pissed that i'll be dead before the next time they try either again

You are right that they will continue to try with Gatsby just because the book is still being ready in school. I just wonder how many times can they miss? 

59 minutes ago, Capella said:

The first 25 minutes of West Side Story is guys chasing each other and jumping off of walls while sporadically yelling JETS as they run off. 

Yeah but the music is great

48 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

You are right that they will continue to try with Gatsby just because the book is still being ready in school. I just wonder how many times can they miss? 

they are almost too movie to be movies or something. i've done treatments of both - so far, i like my Wuthering angle better than my Gatsby

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

did anybody save a link to the thread from 4-5 yrs ago where we listed our favorite 100 movies? cant even find it using Google, never mind this nothing-happened-b4-Thanksgiving system here

Edited by wikkidpissah
On 5/2/2021 at 10:58 PM, identikit said:

Just watched Tenet.

I have a headache.

On 5/2/2021 at 11:29 PM, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Just finished. Agreed. I mean I enjoyed the hell out of it but I have barely a clue of what happened. I mean I do, but ...uh...

I wish I could tell you about plot holes but... uh....

So driving forward, while in the past but in reverse.... uh...

Gonna hit up YouTube to see if somebody can explain some of it to me. 

Just watched this with my son.  This movie made Memento seem easy to follow. 

• Laughing 2
14 hours ago, The Man With No Name said:

Who plays who?

Maybe Hugh Jackman for Jonathan Hemlock. Hopkins for Dragon,

Ben Affleck as Pope. Drawing a blank for Ben Bowman-George Kennedy

was great in that role. Eastwood was just too Eastwood for Hemlock.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, nightmare said:

I'm thinking maybe an ex wrestler/athlete, but has to add some

light heartedness like Kennedy 

I was thinking of more specific attributes if I remember George correctly. 

Edited by Osaurus
On 5/10/2021 at 12:22 PM, wikkidpissah said:

did anybody save a link to the thread from 4-5 yrs ago where we listed our favorite 100 movies? cant even find it using Google, never mind this nothing-happened-b4-Thanksgiving system here

Not sure I remember that one. Anything else to jog my memory (though not sure if I posted in that)? 

Do any of you remember the movie and the actual character named George? She was played by Brenda Venus. Look her up. 

14 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Nailed it

LOL

Forgot about the other George (whaaa?)

I was thinking George Kennedy.

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nightmare said:

Obviously, Halle Barry for Jemima Brown.

Seems kind old now. I might go with Aijona Alexus

Edited by Ilov80s

Watched Babe with the kids last night. At 9 & 13, they were a bit old for it...but still really enjoyed it- as did I. Held up really well.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Watched Babe with the kids last night. At 9 & 13, they were a bit old for it...but still really enjoyed it- as did I. Held up really well.

"That'll do, pig. That'll do." 
Great flick, nominated for Best Picture which I thought was awesome.

• Like 2

I watched A Trip to the Moon by Georges Melies from 1904. It's the famous movie with the spaceship crashing into the face of the moon. It's a short 13 minute film though it was the most expensive movie ever made at it's time. On the surface a bunch of guys fly to the moon, kill some aliens and come back as heroes but it's so obviously a critique of imperialism and the way Europe has treated Native peoples of the world. People actually remade it a few years later and removed the sharp edges so it didn't have a political reading anymore. Just found it interesting given the movie conversation we've had in some of the movie threads. 

• Like 2

I get a fire under my ### to rewatch or watch for the first time classics have a huge list combining the BFI/AFI lists and started on that.  

First was Vertigo.   Still not sure I am fully on board with this one.  I think it's one of Hitch's best looking films, and for lack of at better word, one of his most "interesting".   But it still keeps me at a distance and I can't seem to get into it fully.  Damn good movie still, but I prefer a few other movies of his over this one.  

Next up is Citizen Kane and Casablanca.  

• Like 2
Just now, KarmaPolice said:

I get a fire under my ### to rewatch or watch for the first time classics have a huge list combining the BFI/AFI lists and started on that.  

First was Vertigo.   Still not sure I am fully on board with this one.  I think it's one of Hitch's best looking films, and for lack of at better word, one of his most "interesting".   But it still keeps me at a distance and I can't seem to get into it fully.  Damn good movie still, but I prefer a few other movies of his over this one.  

I assume you've seen CK and Casablanca before, right?

Just now, Ilov80s said:

I assume you've seen CK and Casablanca before, right?

Casablanca once awhile ago.   CK I dragged my feet on b/c of all the rumblings of it being boring.  I remember loving it, and watching it a couple times in a weekend.  It's been probably 6-7 years since I've seen it.    After these two, the list gets into more stuff that I haven't seen before.  

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

You're not wrong about Vertigo.

• Like 1