Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition

Indiana Jones collection comes out on 4k today!

I don't really buy discs anymore (may have to have an exception here) but the 4k stream on iTunes looks fantastic. As big of an upgrade as I've seen.

You go buy this now!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Indiana Jones collection comes out on 4k today!

I don't really buy discs anymore (may have to have an exception here) but the 4k stream on iTunes looks fantastic. As big of an upgrade as I've seen.

You go buy this now!

So tempting but $90 but only 2 movies I like is a tough sell.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

So tempting but $90 but only 2 movies I like is a tough sell.

If you stream through iTunes (which most devices can do now through the app), they're only $10 each right now.

The bigger downside to streaming is the compressed audio for Atmos won't sound as good. But for the difference in price, many wont care.

Edited by Andy Dufresne
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Capella said:

HBO put the first 8 minutes of in the heights out and it is amazing. 

I have tickets at the local theater at 11am on Saturday. Looking forward to it.

• Like 1

I'm at a matinee for Raiders of the Lost Ark (40th anniversary of the release date on Saturday!!) and the previews they've shown are insultingly awful - The new Space Jam, Hotel Transylvania, and Boss Baby movies look like genuine child abuse to me. 

I feel for parents of young kids - but if you're worth your salt you won't let your kids watch such tripe anyway. And you certainly won't let them on my lawn!

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

10 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Nah, I probably wouldn't watch either.  Never got the love for Raiders, but I think I was just a bit late to the game on that one.  I've tried a few times.    

I’m not over the moon about it like many are but it’s a really fun movie. Surprised it doesn’t work for you given your love for 80s films even if they are a bit silly.

16 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I’m not over the moon about it like many are but it’s a really fun movie. Surprised it doesn’t work for you given your love for 80s films even if they are a bit silly.

I would say that they come across that way (really more "naively optimistic") because they stand in stark contrast to the "gritty" 70's and outright nihilistic and self-loathing films of today.

Indy is just a great, and I would argue quintessential, hero because he keeps trying even though he never wins. All we can do, when we find ourselves amidst events we can't control, is keep our moral center and keep going.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

I would say that they come across that way (really more "naively optimistic") because they stand in stark contrast to the "gritty" 70's and outright nihilistic and self-loathing films of today.

Indy is just a great, and I would argue quintessential, hero because he keeps trying even though he never wins. All we can do, when we find ourselves amidst events we can't control, is keep our moral center and keep going.

Yep and it’s meant to be fun with the whole inspiration from the serials of early films. It’s just a good time and I appreciate that. I would love to see more movies like this (but not another Indy if that makes sense).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Yep and it’s meant to be fun with the whole inspiration from the serials of early films. It’s just a good time and I appreciate that. I would love to see more movies like this (but not another Indy if that makes sense).

Absolutely it does. Crystal Skull and whatever this new one is just come across as cynical money grabs.

1 minute ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Absolutely it does. Crystal Skull and whatever this new one is just come across as cynical money grabs.

Yeah I didn’t even see Crystal Skull. I saw the reviews and knew I didn’t want to ruin my mental image/feelings of Indy and the series. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shadrap said:
On 6/8/2021 at 10:08 PM, CletiusMaximus said:

Kajillionaire - fantastic.  HBOMax 

give me a rundown ?  What is it about?

It is a Miranda July movie, which I guess means it is quirky - certainly true.  Dad, mother, daughter are small time grifters, weirdos, making their way through life off the grid. Good acting, good story.  Evan Rachel Wood, Richard Jenkins, Debra Winger and Gina Rodriguez are all good in this movie.

Evan Rachel Wood is the daughter - named "Old Dolio" by her parents (Jenkins and Winger).  They named her after a homeless person who had won the lottery, in hopes that he might adopt her or at least give them some money.  That's not an important part of the story, but somewhat sets the tone.

This movie is billed as a comedy, but ultimately it is a romance, which is the strength of the movie.

@krista4 hated it.  I have a hard time necessarily recommending the movie to others, but I loved it.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Very well said. :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Don't have a great reason why.  Like I said, I didn't grow up with it - I probably didn't see Raiders start to finish until college or after?  Dunno - just didn't click and felt a bit too hokey - especially the end.   Not terrible, just not something I look forward to re-watching either.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Don't have a great reason why.  Like I said, I didn't grow up with it - I probably didn't see Raiders start to finish until college or after?  Dunno - just didn't click and felt a bit too hokey - especially the end.   Not terrible, just not something I look forward to re-watching either.  

Ok, I can see that. I definitely saw before the age of 8 so totally different memory. I was even Indy for Halloween once. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Ok, I can see that. I definitely saw before the age of 8 so totally different memory. I was even Indy for Halloween once. 

I honestly have 0 clue why I didn't see it before then.   Pretty sure my first full Indy experience was going to #3 for a field trip.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

Raiders is the best action/adventure film of all time.

I will say it's combo of action AND adventure is really dialed in just right. 

In the heights 

If this doesn’t win best picture, I don’t understand the oscars.

Its the perfect uplifting movie our country needs right now.

Edited by wazoo11
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, wazoo11 said:

In the heights 

Ugh, sounds like something I will hate. ;) 

Is this movie a musical, or based on a play or something? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wazoo11 said:

In the heights 

It's got a few things working against it: it's about 9 months until the Oscars and it did awful at the box office (maybe it had a lot of Max viewers, they never release those numbers). 

7 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Ugh, sounds like something I will hate. ;) 

Is this movie a musical, or based on a play or something? 

It's a musical based on the Lin Manuel Miranda's musical that was on Broadway before Hamilton. 

• Like 1

I saw In the Heights on Saturday. I liked it - but I do think it has its faults.

There are some parts that are amazing. Just look incredible and the music is awesome. And the scene just blows you away. But I think the story has some ... holes. 

I want to be clear - I very much enjoyed it. I just think it has flaws. Without spoiler tags, I'm reluctant to discuss those.

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2021 at 9:16 PM, TripItUp said:

I think Terminator 2 has to be in consideration

• Like 2

13 hours ago, wazoo11 said:
On 6/11/2021 at 9:16 PM, TripItUp said:

I think Terminator 2 has to be in consideration

I'll nominate Die Hard for that honor. May be a good thread topic though.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Once Upon a Time In Hollywood

File it under Taranti-nope. Did nothing for me.

It was fine.  I didn't get all the hoopla surrounding it.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gally said:
11 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

It was fine.  I didn't get all the hoopla surrounding it.  

I liked it until the predictable gory ending. 

• Like 1

Oslo

Excellent HBO adaption of a stage play about the secret peace talks between Israel and the PLO in 1993. Now, I understand that might sound really boring. Let me assure you: this is well acted, sharply written, and even really funny at times. I'm not going to say much more, just to state that I love this movie and recommend it wholeheartedly. 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 5:54 AM, Ilov80s said:

It's got a few things working against it: it's about 9 months until the Oscars and it did awful at the box office (maybe it had a lot of Max viewers, they never release those numbers). 

It's a musical based on the Lin Manuel Miranda's musical that was on Broadway before Hamilton. 

Thanks for verifying and saving me the time.  ;) 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Maya Hawke sure was nice though 

Singin' in the Rain - I had never seen it before. So decided to watch it. HBO Max really has a nice library. I'm sure everyone else has seen it but my thoughts - it was really nice. It was kind of sweet and light and silly like movies aren't really anymore. And Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds, and Donald O'Connor kind of jump off the screen. They are supremely talented.

And, of course, the singin' in the rain scene was fantastic. Very enjoyable 100 minutes.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Singin' in the Rain - I had never seen it before. So decided to watch it. HBO Max really has a nice library. I'm sure everyone else has seen it but my thoughts - it was really nice. It was kind of sweet and light and silly like movies aren't really anymore. And Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds, and Donald O'Connor kind of jump off the screen. They are supremely talented.

And, of course, the singin' in the rain scene was fantastic. Very enjoyable 100 minutes.

They don't make'm like that anymore 

• Like 1

The Conformist (1970)

Bertolucci directs a real stylish film. If you like camera movement and lighting and production design, this is heaven. The story is tough to follow and told in flashbacks buried in flashbacks but I was impressed and interested the whole way. The aloof style of storytelling worked and kept me interested.  I enjoyed that the movie was full of sex and attraction which we don't see in movies today. The basic summary is a a man in Fascist Italy goes a long to get along until that means murdering his old professor who is now a political enemy. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

The Conformist (1970)

Bertolucci directs a real stylish film. If you like camera movement and lighting and production design, this is heaven. The story is tough to follow and told in flashbacks buried in flashbacks but I was impressed and interested the whole way. The aloof style of storytelling worked and kept me interested.  I enjoyed that the movie was full of sex and attraction which we don't see in movies today. The basic summary is a a man in Fascist Italy goes a long to get along until that means murdering his old professor who is now a political enemy. 

I barely remembered the plot...but damn I remembered the visuals. Just stunning. Anybody that loves "Film" needs to see this one just for that.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 7:52 AM, CletiusMaximus said:

It is a Miranda July movie, which I guess means it is quirky - certainly true.  Dad, mother, daughter are small time grifters, weirdos, making their way through life off the grid. Good acting, good story.  Evan Rachel Wood, Richard Jenkins, Debra Winger and Gina Rodriguez are all good in this movie.

Evan Rachel Wood is the daughter - named "Old Dolio" by her parents (Jenkins and Winger).  They named her after a homeless person who had won the lottery, in hopes that he might adopt her or at least give them some money.  That's not an important part of the story, but somewhat sets the tone.

This movie is billed as a comedy, but ultimately it is a romance, which is the strength of the movie.

@krista4 hated it.  I have a hard time necessarily recommending the movie to others, but I loved it.

Grifter flicks always make me feel uneasy (except for The Sting, I suppose).

Liked the movie, completely quirky as is Ms July.  Always.

On 6/16/2021 at 10:33 PM, El Floppo said:

I barely remembered the plot...but damn I remembered the visuals. Just stunning. Anybody that loves "Film" needs to see this one just for that.

The movie doesn’t seem really interested in spelling out the plot for the viewer either. It wasn’t difficult to follow but it certainly seemed to consider the plot a bit secondary. 

Edited by Ilov80s

I've watched some offbeat older movies recently:

1. The Gambler (1974) James Caan, Paul Sorvino, Burt Young in a 70s version of Uncut Gems. Obsessed gambler looking for the biggest odds to beat possible, lives for the rush of losing more than winning. The set-up is simple, he owes the mob $40,000 in gambling debts and his life is on the line if he can't pay it off. Would recommend to anyone that likes gambling movies, gritty 70s movies or Caan. 

2. Magic (1978) Anthony Hopkins, Ann Margaret and Burgess Meredith in a dark psychological thriller/horror film about a famous ventriloquist who's doll seems to have a murderous streak and it is directed by Attenborough right before he made Gandhi. It's actually really good despite how weird that description sounded.

3. Angel Heart (1987) Mickey Rourke, Lisa Bonet and Robert DeNiro do a neo noir with elements of the supernatural in it. Like most great detective stories, the case is equally as important as the state of turmoil the detective finds himself in. Nice New Orleans setting as well. Well worth a watch. 

4. Sisters (1972) Really early De Palma starring a very fresh but unhinged Margot Kidder. It's a Rear Window like movie in that a neighbor thinks she sees a murder in her neighbors apartment. The cops don't take her serious so she has to lead the investigation into it. It gets twisted real quick though. De Palma is really experimenting here. Some of it works and some doesn't.  Interesting watch though. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1