What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (5 Viewers)

Some grimy paranoid 70s crime films this weekend: The Friends of Eddie Coyle and The Parallax View. Might have to throw on Night Moves or Klute to finish off the weekend.

Some grimy paranoid 70s crime films this weekend: The Friends of Eddie Coyle and The Parallax View. Might have to throw on Night Moves or Klute to finish off the weekend.
no movie reminds me of home like Friends of Eddie Coyle. another flick of the same time, The Brinks Job was close cuz Tony Pino, played by Peter Falk, was the hero of Egleston Sq (my hood), but the way Peter Yates mixed blocks & burbs and that flat, grey way guys were guys in Coyle just nails it. enjoying Friday neo-noirs on TCM - the lineup the other day was Get Carter, Eddie Coyle & Chinatown - hope they keep it going.

no movie reminds me of home like Friends of Eddie Coyle. another flick of the same time, The Brinks Job was close cuz Tony Pino, played by Peter Falk, was the hero of Egleston Sq (my hood), but the way Peter Yates mixed blocks & burbs and that flat, grey way guys were guys in Coyle just nails it. enjoying Friday neo-noirs on TCM - the lineup the other day was Get Carter, Eddie Coyle & Chinatown - hope they keep it going.
Yep that’s where I DVR’d from Eddie Coyle from. Real good stuff. I think it continues for all of July. 

Decided to keep my 70s crime binge rolling with Brian DePalma’s ode to Vertigo,  Obsession. It’s complete with a Bernard Hermann score. 

Godfather 2 getting loaded into the thingy that plays movies.   We will see how many nights it takes to get through the sequel.  

Decided to keep my 70s crime binge rolling with Brian DePalma’s ode to Vertigo,  Obsession. It’s complete with a Bernard Hermann score. 
his last one, i believe. i loved this when it came out - Cliff Robertson sold the obsession a lot better than Jimmy Stewart & Bujold is cute as lace pants. it has not aged well

Surprised after doing a search that their wasn't any mention of Dark City

Hadn't seen it in years and I like it soo much better.  The director's cut came out about a decade ago and Alex Proyas along with others provide great commentary.

Was pleased to see Roger Ebert loved this movie and went out of his way to give very insightful details that go far beyond cinematic critique.  THIS is the only commentary I could find from him on-line.  He gave so much more detail on the director's cut, really impressed with his mind.

Oh and he had Dark City as his favorite film of 1998 the year it came out.

Didn't realize how influential the film was but the Matrix basically stole many things as one of the producers of Dark City worked on the Matrix.

If you haven't seen it check out Dark City.  Very under rated classic sci fi.
Great movie, and the Ebert commentary is outstanding. 

Probably a dumb question, but how did Vito know it was Barzini at the end of Part 1?   just the way he directed the meeting of the 5 families? 

Probably a dumb question, but how did Vito know it was Barzini at the end of Part 1?   just the way he directed the meeting of the 5 families? 
Yes. That combined with him not believing Solazzo really had the brains or balls to make a move like this. The meeting seemed framed with Barzini as the clear next in command, everyone followed his lead.

The book explains it. Vito noticed that Barzini used the same phrase at the reconciliation meeting between the Corleones and Tattaglias that Tattaglia had used previously himself. That phrase was that Don Corleone had all the politicians and judges in his pocket like dimes and nickels.

In the movie only Barzini uses these words. Plus Vito also concludes that Tattaglia could have never outfought Sonny.

Trejo is one delightful dude. 
First Brian Cranston - Brian Cranston Recalls Chilling Encounter With Charles Manson "I was within his grasp."

I was not aware of Danny Trejo's bizzare encounter with Charlie until only a few days ago apart from this thread.

Danny Trejo Has A Pretty Great Story About The Time He Was Hypnotized By Charles Manson In Jail

They didn't appear on-screen together but of all of the 68 deaths on-screen that Danny Trejo has suffered, THIS one from Breaking Bad is 'probably' the most memorable.

Bracie Smathers said:
First Brian Cranston - Brian Cranston Recalls Chilling Encounter With Charles Manson "I was within his grasp."

I was not aware of Danny Trejo's bizzare encounter with Charlie until only a few days ago apart from this thread.

Danny Trejo Has A Pretty Great Story About The Time He Was Hypnotized By Charles Manson In Jail

They didn't appear on-screen together but of all of the 68 deaths on-screen that Danny Trejo has suffered, THIS one from Breaking Bad is 'probably' the most memorable.
Yeah, the Trejo character on BB was awesome. I wish he'd lasted longer. 

Now, let me preface by saying it's a great movie (although I still think I prefer part 1 by a slight margin).   But -  one of the many things that I was thinking about last night as I got through the first 1/2 of Part 2, is why this movie gets a pass for doing what all sequels that we ##### about currently do:  rehash scenes, need to explain backstory, etc..   

Anyway, finished up part 2 last night.  I am still parsing through my thoughts and why it might be, but I found myself liking 1 more than I remembered and 2 less than I remembered.  Again, both great movies worthy of the acclaim, but I had a recollection of me liking them in that order the first time but it was close, and now the gap between them felt slightly wider.  

Anyway, finished up part 2 last night.  I am still parsing through my thoughts and why it might be, but I found myself liking 1 more than I remembered and 2 less than I remembered.  Again, both great movies worthy of the acclaim, but I had a recollection of me liking them in that order the first time but it was close, and now the gap between them felt slightly wider.  
I guess I should probably watch these someday

Love LOVE this movie. My college roommates and i had thia on tape, watched it religiously. And by religiously, I mean stoned to the bejeezus 
Not my cup of tea, but I can certainly see the appeal. Especially when contemplating the practicality of having a can of shark repellent on hand when you really need it.

I like how they kept the cool (Penguin) /hot (Lee Merriweather Catwoman 👍Eartha Kit 👎) criminals and left out the lame-ohs (Shame, KingTut, Egg Head). 

Not my cup of tea, but I can certainly see the appeal. Especially when contemplating the practicality of having a can of shark repellent on hand when you really need it.

I like how they kept the cool (Penguin) /hot (Lee Merriweather Catwoman 👍Eartha Kit 👎) criminals and left out the lame-ohs (Shame, KingTut, Egg Head). 
What was great is that they knew it was campy as hell and just ran with it. The bomb-removal scene on the pier was classic. 

El Floppo said:
What was great is that they knew it was campy as hell and just ran with it. The bomb-removal scene on the pier was classic. 
My kid's favorite meme! Did you see the two animated West /Ward sequels? 

Next in the pile is Godfather 3, Dark City, and Lawrence of Arabia (one of these days I am actually going to put this damn movie in).  

It had been awhile but caught THIS ONE the other night.

May be the only 'known' movie using three pairs of real-life brothers portraying real-life brothers.

The look of this movie is unique.  The 'green' pallet was before computer generated schemes so this one really stands out.

Add the score by Ry Cooder and the work of David Carradine as Cole Younger.  One of the singular best acting performances in any Western eva!

It had been awhile but caught THIS ONE the other night.

May be the only 'known' movie using three pairs of real-life brothers portraying real-life brothers.

The look of this movie is unique.  The 'green' pallet was before computer generated schemes so this one really stands out.

Add the score by Ry Cooder and the work of David Carradine as Cole Younger.  One of the singular best acting performances in any Western eva!
I guessed The Long Riders immediately once you mentioned 3 sets of brothers. 

Walter Hill was in fine form on that one and the brothers part worked well! And throw in James Remar as a tough Indian, too. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I guessed The Long Riders immediately once you mentioned 3 sets of brothers. 

Walter Hill was in fine form on that one and the brothers part worked well! And throw in James Remar as a tough Indian, too. 
You have to read this comment from YouTube under the clip.

This guy's Great grandfather had a run-in with the REAL James Gang.  

Amazing friggen story.

-----------------------------

pegleg09able

1 year ago

James Keach did an excellent job portraying Jesse James. I don't think the man cracked a single smile throughout the entire movie (which is how the real Jesse James was portrayed in life-cold raw eyes and wearing a scowl).

My great great grandfather ran into the James/Younger gang once...neat story.

My great-great grandfather worked for the railroad right after the Civil War.. He was only 16 and needed the money. One day he was asked by his boss to ride in to town (not sure what town) to pick up the payroll for those working on the trains. The boss supposedly picked him to do it, because all other men had been robbed by the James/Younger gang. My great-great grandfather at the time was just a baby faced kid...no whiskers at all. So they felt that he would not be a target of robbers like the James gang. So off he goes to the town (he said it was a day's ride there and a day's ride back by horse). He is riding back with the payroll and it gets dark. So he has to stop & make camp. He ties up the horse, pulls off the saddle and builds a camp fire. He places the payroll bag "under" the saddle in such a way that it cannot be seen. Then he makes himself something to eat/coffee. A hour passed by and he hears the sound of riders approaching. He stands up and in rides 6 or 7 men wearing cattle dusters. They dismount and appear friendly...making small talk. They greeted my great-great grandfather like he is an old friend. One of the men says; "Whoa, there son, don't mean no harm...we have rode a far piece and saw your camp fire. That coffee smells good...can you spare a cup?" My great-great grandfather says..."sure, come sit down" (like, what is he going to say when outnumbered?)

He tells that they all gathered around (they each had their own cup, which was common back then) and drank coffee and joked around. They were very friendly...except for 1 guy. This particular guy doesn't actually sit down. He just kind of squats in front of the campfire, holding his cup in one hand, staring straight at my great-great grandfather (who is sitting across from him on the other side of camp fire). My GGgrandfather said that the man NEVER said a word while the rest chatted and made jokes. He just stared straight at my GGgrandfather, watching. . My GGgrandfather said the hair went up on the back of his neck, while this guy is starring at him...just watching. Finally, everyone has had enough. They thank my GGgrandfather for his hospitality and they start to mount up. The guy by the fire who has been silent the whole time SLOWLY stands up, while never taking his eyes off my GGgrandfather. He finally throws whats left of his coffee into the fire. My GGgrandfather says he slowly stood up at the same time (he did not want to make any fast moves). The man then says; "I know that you know who we are. And I also know that you won't say a word either...will you?" My GGgrandfather shook his head and said; "No, sir,". Then (Jesse???) walks over to his horse, climbs on...and they rode off. 

My GGgrandfather never told this story until he was an old, old, man...he told my grandfather the story just a few years before he passed away at 81.

Watched 'Let Him Go' yesterday...

Kevin Costner/Diane Lane period piece.

Not too bad, if predictable.

On HBO Max

Next in the pile is Godfather 3, Dark City, and Lawrence of Arabia (one of these days I am actually going to put this damn movie in).  
I’ve only seen LoA once and I’ve vowed I won’t see it again until I can see it on the big screen. I had my chance a couple years ago and was unfortunately unavailable. Hopefully it comes back soon. This pandemic didn’t help increase my chances and the new TV has me tempted to try at home. 

Fantastic looking movie. 
What is?

I’ve only seen LoA once and I’ve vowed I won’t see it again until I can see it on the big screen. I had my chance a couple years ago and was unfortunately unavailable. Hopefully it comes back soon. This pandemic didn’t help increase my chances and the new TV has me tempted to try at home. 

What is?
I didn't get far- a little past the well scene.   My impulse today was similar to yours, and I looked online for the 4k bluray, but I guess that's not a thing?    Will continue tonight and try not to pass out after 30mins like usual.  

I didn't get far- a little past the well scene.   My impulse today was similar to yours, and I looked online for the 4k bluray, but I guess that's not a thing?    Will continue tonight and try not to pass out after 30mins like usual.  
They released a 4K but it’s only part of a collection of Columbia classics. I would guess they eventually release it individually. It may be streaming in 4K on Amazon to rent though.

If you watch 30 mins at a time, it’s going to feel like watching a whole season of a show, could take weeks lol.

Ilov80s said:
They released a 4K but it’s only part of a collection of Columbia classics. I would guess they eventually release it individually. It may be streaming in 4K on Amazon to rent though.
My tv isn't working, so if I want 4k currently I need a physical copy.  

Ilov80s said:
If you watch 30 mins at a time, it’s going to feel like watching a whole season of a show, could take weeks lol.
Not on purpose- the reefer makes me super sleepy.  

Will attempt to knock out a bigger chunk tonight.  

Users who are viewing this thread