What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (9 Viewers)

I haven't read the book but from what I've heard it was a wise adaptation. Instead of trying to do the entire book and focus on the good son, they focused in on Newman as the antihero. Some of the finest acting and cinematography of the 60s. 

Who's Afraid of Zane Grey?

The Courier

Benedict Cumberbatch plays a British businessman during the cold war who is lured into a covert spy operation orchestrated by the CIA and MI6. You don't often get to see Cumberbatch being vulnerable, and it's fun to see a spy movie where the lead is both frightened and ill-prepared. I loved this movie. Highly recommended. Available for free on Amazon Prime and for rent on several platforms. 

The Five-Year Engagement

Here's a Judd Apatow movie I'd never heard of. Jason Seigal and Emily Blunt play a couple with various relationship difficulties. If you are a fan of Apatow movies, you should see it. Mostly very enjoyable and although it's corny, I found it emotionally satisfying. 

This weekend was a double feature of PAW Patrol: The Movie and Chungking Express (with kid put down to bed somewhere in the middle of the two).

I'm sure kids who love PAW Patrol, will enjoy the movie. Parents who can't stand it, will not stand it. I will give PAW Patrol credit for a line where one of the pups asks Ryder how he can afford their setup and he holds up a t-shirt emblazoned with the logo and says "Through sales of Official PAW Patrol merchandise" (as I look at my son clutching his various plushes of Skye, Marshall, etc.)

I can see why Chungking Express became a cult hit. I was so-so on the first Wong Kar-Wai in the Criterion set, but Days of Being Wild and Chungking Express are both great.  Working my through the rest of the set (before I bought the set, I had only seen In the Mood for Love).

Don Quixote said:
This weekend was a double feature of PAW Patrol: The Movie and Chungking Express (with kid put down to bed somewhere in the middle of the two).

I'm sure kids who love PAW Patrol, will enjoy the movie. Parents who can't stand it, will not stand it. I will give PAW Patrol credit for a line where one of the pups asks Ryder how he can afford their setup and he holds up a t-shirt emblazoned with the logo and says "Through sales of Official PAW Patrol merchandise" (as I look at my son clutching his various plushes of Skye, Marshall, etc.)

I can see why Chungking Express became a cult hit. I was so-so on the first Wong Kar-Wai in the Criterion set, but Days of Being Wild and Chungking Express are both great.  Working my through the rest of the set (before I bought the set, I had only seen In the Mood for Love).

my 10yo daughter, who I assumed had long outgrown Paw Patrol, watched it on a train ride last week and enjoyed it. 

I've repeatedly mentioned my memory of loving Fallen Angels from seeing it in the theater. to this day, even though I genuinely don't recall the film, I still have such a strong recollection of being amazed by it.... so much so that it resonates in my head as one of my favorite movies. I think, as such a stylized film, it may or may not hold up over time... so I feel a need to rewatch it.

Like some others, I also watched the PAW Patrol movie in the last couple days.  The 6 yo loved it, I found the new member a tad annoying.  

I also have watched an odd mix of:  Punch Drunk Love, Bridesmaids, The Hangover, Final Destination, and Little Women.  

Like some others, I also watched the PAW Patrol movie in the last couple days.  The 6 yo loved it, I found the new member a tad annoying.  

I also have watched an odd mix of:  Punch Drunk Love, Bridesmaids, The Hangover, Final Destination, and Little Women.  
The most recent LW? What did you think?

The most recent LW? What did you think?
I really liked it.   Best of the bunch that I watched (but looking at those titles, that's not saying much ;)  )  

I ended up liking Punch Drunk a little more this time, but it's still probably my least favorite PTA - it's between that and Inherent Vice, but I've only seen that one once, and I am due for a rewatch.  

The Five-Year Engagement

Here's a Judd Apatow movie I'd never heard of. Jason Seigal and Emily Blunt play a couple with various relationship difficulties. If you are a fan of Apatow movies, you should see it. Mostly very enjoyable and although it's corny, I found it emotionally satisfying. 
@jdoggydogg

Did he only produce this one?  I thought it was by the director of Forgetting Sarah Mashall and Neighbors.  

Just curious because the other day I was looking at the Apatow directed movies list and didn't remember this one on it.   I was thinking about firing up either This is 40 or Funny People today.  Both I remember liking a lot more than others, but I think I've only seen each the one time.  

It is.

Saw again last night.

Begins with an under stated score that matches the slow pacing allowing the rich vibrant well crafted characters to unfold before propelling us into a world of jarring violence peppered with classic western lines.
i'll watch it with a jar of peppers instead of popcorn next time...

Yes, and put The Ox Bow Incident on your top-five Westerns for goodness sakes.
it's Top Ten, with High Noon, Butch & Sundance, GBU, Missouri Breaks. I dont consider western-themed flix like Sierra Madre, Jeremiah Johnson, Meek's Cutoff, Three Burials, The Misfits, Hud, No Country etc to be Westerns or they'd be hoppin' up the list like somebody shot "dance!"

It is.

Saw again last night.

Begins with an under stated score that matches the slow pacing allowing the rich vibrant well crafted characters to unfold before propelling us into a world of jarring violence peppered with classic western lines.
perfect description of Unforgiven!  the slow paced horse ride across the wheat fields is amazing.  didn't appreciate the meandering  build up until I watched it 3 times.   I then realized just what a masterpiece this movie is.  IMHO

have probably seen it 15 times over the years.  I'm a western fan.

Once upon a Time in the West is another classic.  Henry Fonda in his favorite role-according to him as a bad guy.  

it's Top Ten, with High Noon, Butch & Sundance, GBU, Missouri Breaks. I dont consider western-themed flix like Sierra Madre, Jeremiah Johnson, Meek's Cutoff, Three Burials, The Misfits, Hud, No Country etc to be Westerns or they'd be hoppin' up the list like somebody shot "dance!"
Butch is my all-time favorite western.   Missu-Breaks highly underrated.  

Ox Bow is not like the others you list as it does take place in the classic time and place of a western setting with, saloons, cowboys, horses, carriages, and all the trimmings. 

Theme?  Yeah its a morality play and we know it got held from release by the War Department as a 'gasp' pacifistic film during wartime but its got Hank Fonda, Anthony Quinn and the all-time best performance of Dana Andrews career.  

Its got nuff Western for me and I LOVE the theme.

wikkid's top 5 westerns (generally dont like westerns):

- Lonesome Dove

- My Darling Clementine

- The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

- A Fistful of Dynamite

- Blazing Saddles
Had not heard of Buster Scruggs until stumbling across it on HBO or the like. Interesting and entertaining with a good cast. Didn't know it was a Coen brothers flick.

I watched Tombstone again last week. It's ridiculously overwrought -  if not for Val Kilmer's performance, it'd be mostly unintentional comedy.
Can I agree with the overwrought statement while still maintaining it's one of my faves? Kurt is awesome, and Michael Biehn is incredibly underrated as Johnny Ringo. So many quotable lines. Love this one.

Can I agree with the overwrought statement while still maintaining it's one of my faves? Kurt is awesome, and Michael Biehn is incredibly underrated as Johnny Ringo. So many quotable lines. Love this one.
Of course. Some of my faves aren't exactly masterpieces of writing, directing or acting throughout. Tombstone, once you know what you're getting (and it doesn't take long to figure out what you're getting), is an entertaining movie.

Excellent choice
Yeah, it was a good rewatch.  It's also the first time I've seen the "warnings" before a movie list black face and something on the lines of 'outdated racial references'.  

Basic was pretty dumb. 

Funny People was about what I remembered, and I imagine I like it a bit more than the average scores.  Opposite with Bridesmaids - I get very little out of that one despite the praise.  

@jdoggydogg

Did he only produce this one?  I thought it was by the director of Forgetting Sarah Mashall and Neighbors.  

Just curious because the other day I was looking at the Apatow directed movies list and didn't remember this one on it.   I was thinking about firing up either This is 40 or Funny People today.  Both I remember liking a lot more than others, but I think I've only seen each the one time.  

I remember really liking This is 40.

No disrespect, you just have a particular taste for comedy and seem to not care for a lot of classics.
Just busting chops.   I'm fully aware of my issues.  ;)     

I listed a bunch of comedies that I watched recently - barely cracked a smile for any of them.  That damn Atlantis doc I watched last night?  Damn near had tears in my eyes from laughing.  :loco:  

Users who are viewing this thread