What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (6 Viewers)

I hesitate to mention this one here, but I watched a movie last week while on a plane that I haven't been able to stop thinking about.  The Lunchbox is an Indian film, with a stupendous performance by Hindi movie-star Irrfan (RIP).  It's possibly a love story, though there is no romance in it, but I see it more as a meditation on friendship, aging, family, and hope.  The movie is gentle, loving, and kind in a way that most aren't.  Simply one of the most lovely expressions of art I've seen in a long while.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hesitate to mention this one here, but I watched a movie last week while on a plane that I haven't been able to stop thinking about.  The Lunchbox is an Indian film, with a stupendous performance by Hindi movie-star Irrfan (RIP).  It's possibly a love story, though there is no romance in it, but I see it more as a meditation on friendship, aging, family, and hope.  The movie is gentle, loving, and kind in a way that most aren't.  Simply one of the most lovely expressions of art I've seen in a long while.
Black bindi

Went late last night to see No Time To Die

First thing first, tragedy how little screen time Ana de Armas had. She looked amazing.

Movie lacked action. A bit too much dialog for my wife and I. Especially in a 2 hour and 43 minute film.

Went late last night to see No Time To Die

First thing first, tragedy how little screen time Ana de Armas had. She looked amazing.

Movie lacked action. A bit too much dialog for my wife and I. Especially in a 2 hour and 43 minute film.
I agree more Armas would have been great. I was reading about it and it sounded like even getting her in the movie was pretty difficulty. She had a very short window to film her scenes. Her and Craig were actually almost never on set together. They used stands in for DC as much as possible for the parts with Armas because it had to be filmed in such a tiny window.

The VU doc on Apple+ is really good and anyone interested in that band should give it a watch. 

I also watched “The Wailing” on Amazon. It’s a Korean horror movie from a couple years ago. Really really good, Korean filmmakers definitely have a knack for making these weird genre bending films. This is like an Exorcist possession movie meets a zombie movie meets a disease outbreak movie meets a police procedural. Highly recommend.

small engine repair, i wanted to see this in the theater but it was never playing by me. i’m a big Jon Bernthal fan and it was different than i was expecting but still enjoyed it in the end

Once Upon a Time in America 

great movie, beautifully shot, kinda hard to follow at times.

So the whole thing was just a dream??

Interstellar

The wife and I watched this one last night.  it was better than I remember, and visually it's awesome.  We both cried, laughed, everything you want.  Yes, I still think the ending and "ghost" stuff is a bit goofy, but I think I was able to look past it more knowing it was there.   I think having seen movies like Ad Astra since then allowed me to put it in perspective as well (really didn't like that one). 

Once Upon a Time in America 

great movie, beautifully shot, kinda hard to follow at times.

So the whole thing was just a dream??
I took it as he was remembering the past and has retreated into opium addiction but it’s been awhile since I’ve seen it

Interstellar

The wife and I watched this one last night.  it was better than I remember, and visually it's awesome.  We both cried, laughed, everything you want.  Yes, I still think the ending and "ghost" stuff is a bit goofy, but I think I was able to look past it more knowing it was there.   I think having seen movies like Ad Astra since then allowed me to put it in perspective as well (really didn't like that one). 
Yeah Interstellar was 100x better than As Astra

It's not for everyone.

I'm surprised you don't remember more; it has a pretty taboo theme to it.  Even in today's world

Its on Showtime On Demand
I remember discussing it over the phone with my folks who hated it. I remember liking it, but not all on board.

Interstellar

I think it’s really well done 

I watched Bong Joon-Ho's Memories of Murder last night. I think both krista and 80s have sung its praises in here recently, and I'll echo. Brilliantly done, and up there with his Parasite. A different type of movie, but a similar masterful high-wire act pulling together various genres, themes, and character types.  I was watching the Criterion disc; looking forward to digging into the commentaries and features, as one that I'd like to explore more.

I watched Bong Joon-Ho's Memories of Murder last night. I think both krista and 80s have sung its praises in here recently, and I'll echo. Brilliantly done, and up there with his Parasite. A different type of movie, but a similar masterful high-wire act pulling together various genres, themes, and character types.  I was watching the Criterion disc; looking forward to digging into the commentaries and features, as one that I'd like to explore more.

Ohhhh, I'd love to check this part out.  Let us know if you come across anything cool there.

I've watched a couple of music-themed movies while traveling.  

Summer of Soul is of course right up my alley and something I should have watched long before this.  I'd pay the price of admission just to see Stevie Wonder play drums on the opening number, or to see the Sly and the Family Stone set.  But there's oh so much more great music in there.  Really well done in terms of interspersing history with the music.  The part about the moon landing was particularly interesting to me and not something I'd considered.

In the Heights is one I might not have watched were it not for traveling and looking for something new.  I know it's been raved about, and I loved it as well.  Such a lovely, gentle, upbeat movie with an exceedingly talented cast.  The number by the "Abuela" was the standout for me, but there were plenty of enjoyable songs. Not that it matters to the enjoyment of the movie, but the four lead characters might be the best looking people I've ever seen.  :lol:  

I've watched a couple of music-themed movies while traveling.  

Summer of Soul is of course right up my alley and something I should have watched long before this.  I'd pay the price of admission just to see Stevie Wonder play drums on the opening number, or to see the Sly and the Family Stone set.  But there's oh so much more great music in there.  Really well done in terms of interspersing history with the music.  The part about the moon landing was particularly interesting to me and not something I'd considered.

In the Heights is one I might not have watched were it not for traveling and looking for something new.  I know it's been raved about, and I loved it as well.  Such a lovely, gentle, upbeat movie with an exceedingly talented cast.  The number with the "Abuela" was the standout for me, but there were plenty of enjoyable songs. Not that it matters to the enjoyment of the movie, but the four lead characters might be the best looking people I've ever seen.  :lol:  
It doesn’t hurt :)  

In the Heights is one I might not have watched were it not for traveling and looking for something new.  I know it's been raved about, and I loved it as well.  Such a lovely, gentle, upbeat movie with an exceedingly talented cast.  The number with the "Abuela" was the standout for me, but there were plenty of enjoyable songs. Not that it matters to the enjoyment of the movie, but the four lead characters might be the best looking people I've ever seen.  :lol:  
I put this one in my Netflix queue based upon the recommendations here.

I will report back after I watch it.

I put this one in my Netflix queue based upon the recommendations here.

I will report back after I watch it.
It’s really good. Bright and colorful and upbeat.  The songs are good, the choreography and camera work well together. Seemed to be out of step with the feeling of the country and was a big flop but in a different climate, it would have been a huge hit IMO.

It’s really good. Bright and colorful and upbeat.  The songs are good, the choreography and camera work well together. Seemed to be out of step with the feeling of the country and was a big flop but in a different climate, it would have been a huge hit IMO.

"Bright" and "colorful" are apt descriptions, too.  I didn't realize this had flopped.  That's a shame.  Based on terrific reviews here I'd assumed it had done well.

"Bright" and "colorful" are apt descriptions, too.  I didn't realize this had flopped.  That's a shame.  Based on terrific reviews here I'd assumed it had done well.
Yeah it probably lost something like $50 million all said and done. I think it’s a hit if it was summer of 2018. Had the Jon Chu of Crazy Rich Asians and Lin Manuel Miranda connection but I think people have kind of tired of Miranda combined with COVID, and political climate had people not really in the mood to go see a big fun bright musical at the theater. Also online there was some negative discourse which I think deflated it’s hype. It’s a shame because that’s the exact kind of movie that I would like to see do well. I couldn’t convince anyone to see it at the theater with me though.

Yeah it probably lost something like $50 million all said and done. I think it’s a hit if it was summer of 2018. Had the Jon Chu of Crazy Rich Asians and Lin Manuel Miranda connection but I think people have kind of tired of Miranda combined with COVID, and political climate had people not really in the mood to go see a big fun bright musical at the theater. Also online there was some negative discourse which I think deflated it’s hype. It’s a shame because that’s the exact kind of movie that I would like to see do well. I couldn’t convince anyone to see it at the theater with me though.
Being available for free on HBO Max probably reduced the box office too. That’s how I watched it. (But I think the last movie that I saw in the theatre was 1917, just before the pandemic).

Being available for free on HBO Max probably reduced the box office too. That’s how I watched it. (But I think the last movie that I saw in the theatre was 1917, just before the pandemic).
For sure but even relative to other stream/theater releases HBO has done, it did very poorly both at theaters and on streaming.

Promising Young Woman

Wow.   This one really surprised me in a great way.   There is so much bubbling under the surface to think about that puts it a level above the typical flick in the rape/revenge subgenre - mostly the complicated relationships featured.   All the awards should have been given to Mulligan the range of emotion displayed was something to behold.  Just that simple "oh ####' dead stare she has, and that "what are you doing".     Also impressive that this is a debut for the director.     

I know we love to ##### about the Marvel movies and the lack of options in the theater, but with directors like this, Eggers, Aster, Villenuve, Peele, Gerwig, etc, etc,   we are in some very capable hands for exciting quality movies for the foreseeable future.   

Has this one been talked about much in here? 

Promising Young Woman

Wow.   This one really surprised me in a great way.   There is so much bubbling under the surface to think about that puts it a level above the typical flick in the rape/revenge subgenre - mostly the complicated relationships featured.   All the awards should have been given to Mulligan the range of emotion displayed was something to behold.  Just that simple "oh ####' dead stare she has, and that "what are you doing".     Also impressive that this is a debut for the director.     

I know we love to ##### about the Marvel movies and the lack of options in the theater, but with directors like this, Eggers, Aster, Villenuve, Peele, Gerwig, etc, etc,   we are in some very capable hands for exciting quality movies for the foreseeable future.   

i think a few pages back, i loved the movie and the twist at the end as i didn’t expect the events leading up would act out how they did. trying to not drop a spoiler since the tag seems to be broken

Promising Young Woman

I watched it a second time and liked it even more. It's great.

Users who are viewing this thread