What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (5 Viewers)

Not sure if I mentioned them, but the two "Raid" movies are about as good as action movies get, foreign or not. I see they are working on #3 as well.

KarmaPolice said:
Not sure if I mentioned them, but the two "Raid" movies are about as good as action movies get, foreign or not. I see they are working on #3 as well.
Haven't seen The Raid but Attack The Block (still foreign...it's British) and District B13 (French) are both pretty good.

KarmaPolice said:
jdoggydogg said:
KarmaPolice said:
cstu said:
Exodus: Gods and Kings

:lmao:
:goodposting: ####### horrible
Darn. This was my fear.
well, your movie tastes have been off for a little bit now, so you might enjoy it. ;)
Hey now. Did we recently bicker about a movie? I've forgotten.
Just bustin balls. I think there were a couple summer blockbustery movies i was surprised you liked, but that is about it.

KarmaPolice said:
jdoggydogg said:
KarmaPolice said:
cstu said:

Darn. This was my fear.
well, your movie tastes have been off for a little bit now, so you might enjoy it. ;)
Just bustin balls. I think there were a couple summer blockbustery movies i was surprised you liked, but that is about it.
You know, Adam Corolla said it well: when a movie tells you what it's going to be, and then it delivers, you should recalibrate your expectations accordingly. So like with Lucy, that's a pretty bad movie. But really, did anyone watch the trailer and expect something different? So it's not like I think The Kingsmen is a great "film," it's that The Kingsman delivered what it advertised in the trailer.

Chaka said:
jamny said:
A few more of my favorite foreign films that haven't been mentioned yet:

Mongol
I've been waiting for this to come on Netflix streaming for a long time.
I have been waiting since 2007 for the sequel to finally be made.
Me too. Doesn't look like that's happening. :kicksrock:
The wiki page says that as of 2013 it was back on but somehow I doubt it.
It's taking them longer to make the 2nd installment than it did for Ghengis to conquer the world.

KarmaPolice said:
jdoggydogg said:
KarmaPolice said:
cstu said:

Darn. This was my fear.
You know, Adam Corolla said it well: when a movie tells you what it's going to be, and then it delivers, you should recalibrate your expectations accordingly. So like with Lucy, that's a pretty bad movie. But really, did anyone watch the trailer and expect something different? So it's not like I think The Kingsmen is a great "film," it's that The Kingsman delivered what it advertised in the trailer.
Lucy did not deliver. Even based on the trailer, it did not deliver.

Plenty of laughable things in the movie but the biggest one was Aaron Paul sneering at Moses while getting beaten. WTF was Ridley Scott thinking? He's completely lost it as a director with his last two movies (this and The Counselor, though I realize the latter one is not all his fault).

I'm a huge sci-fi nerd and my brother recently recommended to me the movie Predestination (2014), after finally getting around to watching it holy ####, its so ####### good. Its everything a nerd like me wants in a science fiction movie, intriguing believable world, with crazy depth but easily digested and concise (97 mins.)

I can't recommend it highly enough, 9.9/10 practically perfect.

Based on the short story All you Zombies, heres a little taste from the source:

My eye fell on "The By-Laws of Time," over my bed:

• Never Do Yesterday What Should Be Done Tomorrow
  • If at Last You Do Succeed, Never Try Again
  • A Stitch in Time Saves Nine Billion
  • A Paradox May be Paradoctored
  • It Is Earlier When You Think
  • Ancestors Are Just People
  • Even Jove Nods

Last edited by a moderator:
Our free movie night, I had wanted to get TMNT but was overruled by the boys - went with Mr. Peabody and Sherman instead, they chose wisely.

Cute with some flat out funny scenes. 7/10

then at midnight my 6yo comes downstairs, had a nightmare about a talking dog. (perhaps he's not ready for mutant turtles)

Top Five:

Very uneven movie, but I liked it more times than not. When it is funny, it is really funny, but a bit of the movie is a bit bland. Still great to see that Chris Rock has something left in the tank besides movies like Grown Ups and What to Expect When You Are Expecting. 6/10

Saw Mockingjay Part 1.

Like the book, it was weaker than the previous two and felt almost like a soap opera.

I was a little disappointed in Nightcrawler after all the positive reviews here. Maybe high expectations but it was just good, not great. Great job by Jake G. but the story was all kinda one-note. Worth watching. 2.5/5

Saw Mockingjay Part 1.

Like the book, it was weaker than the previous two and felt almost like a soap opera.
I thought it was MUCH better than the book, which frankly was horrible. I would rate the movies.

Catching Fire........Mocking Jay Pt 1........................Hunger Games

Which is odd because Hunger Games was the best book.

Saw Mockingjay Part 1.

I thought it was MUCH better than the book, which frankly was horrible. I would rate the movies.

I agree that the book Mockingjay was bad.

But I would rate the films in the order of release (Hunger Games best, Mockingjay worst). We'll see if the last one is an improvement.

The trailer suggested a complicated relationship between Ramses and Moses, but instead Ramses was a cartoon bad guy and Moses' journey was comical. I expected better from Ridley Scott.

I'm a huge sci-fi nerd and my brother recently recommended to me the movie Predestination (2014), after finally getting around to watching it holy ####, its so ####### good. Its everything a nerd like me wants in a science fiction movie, intriguing believable world, with crazy depth but easily digested and concise (97 mins.)

I can't recommend it highly enough, 9.9/10 practically perfect.

Based on the short story All you Zombies, heres a little taste from the source:

My eye fell on "The By-Laws of Time," over my bed:

• Never Do Yesterday What Should Be Done Tomorrow
  • If at Last You Do Succeed, Never Try Again
  • A Stitch in Time Saves Nine Billion
  • A Paradox May be Paradoctored
  • It Is Earlier When You Think
  • Ancestors Are Just People
  • Even Jove Nods
Sounds interesting.

The writer/directors did Daybreakers which I thought was pretty meh but at least it attempted to be thought provoking.

I'm a huge sci-fi nerd and my brother recently recommended to me the movie

After watching Predestination then seeing the trailer for it and seeing that the Director also directed Daybreakers I couldn't believe it.

Predestination is so compact in its complexity, if that makes any sense. I think it being described as absurdity is unfair, its based off a seven page short story and it fits perfectly in a 90 minute film. It answers all the questions in the second half of the film and after the climax its one ceaseless downward spiral to the end.

Saw Mockingjay Part 1.

I agree that the book Mockingjay was bad.

But I would rate the films in the order of release (Hunger Games best, Mockingjay worst). We'll see if the last one is an improvement.
I thought the first movie was pretty bad. Just poorly directed even though it had the most interesting story.

Ear ringing sound effect with no background noise -> shaky cam that's so shaky you can't even tell what's going on -> Ear ringing sound effect with no background noise -> shaky cam that's so shaky you can't even tell what's going on -> Ear ringing sound effect with no background noise -> shaky cam that's so shaky you can't even tell what's going on

90 minutes of that on loop after she left D12.

we started watching an old Christopher Nolan movie... forgot the name, could've been for TV- moves around in time with the narrative... oh- The Follower? about a guy who follows people. felt a bit slight, even though it was trying pretty hard (too much, IMO)... switched it off after 20 or so and watched The 100 instead :wub:

Night at the Museum 3

Solid stuff from the franchise. Nothing special. After about 20 minutes in I was just wondering how the ending or credits would honor Robin Williams. But the kids liked it as they liked the other 2 so, it works.

Avengers

Caught it again. Still solid. Although, the special effects seem a little off on reviewing, but that could just be seeing it on a small screen.

Man of Steel

Caught the final hour battle of this right after watching Avengers, so I watched a solid hour and 40 of Manhattan then Metropolis getting just crushed. The scale of the devestation in MoS is impressive. Still a very good movie in the super hero class.

Dark Knight Rises

Meh. It was fun the first time. Now, it just drags. Will be interesting to see how they merge this story line into the new MoS movie this summer.

El Floppo said:
we started watching an old Christopher Nolan movie... forgot the name, could've been for TV- moves around in time with the narrative... oh- The Follower? about a guy who follows people. felt a bit slight, even though it was trying pretty hard (too much, IMO)... switched it off after 20 or so and watched The 100 instead :wub:
Following.

One of those movies that took a little to get through but I was glad I did at the end. I liked it.

I was a little disappointed in Nightcrawler after all the positive reviews here. Maybe high expectations but it was just good, not great. Great job by Jake G. but the story was all kinda one-note. Worth watching. 2.5/5
I just thought I'd never seen a movie quite like that before - and that's always refreshing.

The trailer suggested a complicated relationship between Ramses and Moses, but instead Ramses was a cartoon bad guy and Moses' journey was comical. I expected better from Ridley Scott.
I dig. A Scott movie is supposed to be a higher level of quality than your average film.

John Wick. Formulaic. Clichéd. Awesome.
I agree it was cliche, but those gun battles felt pretty original.
This is one of your "appropriate expectations" films. We all knew what it was (or should have known) before seeing it and it delivered exactly what it promised. Not great cinema but a fun film.

ETA: And boy Theon Greyjoy just has the look of a weasely DB that you just want to punch in the face. He's perfect for these roles but I wonder if he is disappointed as an actor to be typecast that way.

Fury - Started off good but from the heavy handed shelling of the piano girl to the climax it just couldn't stop operating with a hatchet. A finer touch could have made this a really good movie.

This is one of your "appropriate expectations" films. We all knew what it was (or should have known) before seeing it and it delivered exactly what it promised. Not great cinema but a fun film.

ETA: And boy Theon Greyjoy just has the look of a weasely DB that you just want to punch in the face. He's perfect for these roles but I wonder if he is disappointed as an actor to be typecast that way.
Yeah, definitely. He's going to play a lot of villains, I assume.

He's going to play a lot of weasely, weak sons of the real villains. If he's lucky when he's older he will be able to handle the main villain role until then he's just inspired cannon fodder.

Deep Web

Saw this premiere at sxsw festival today. Strong documentary that really explained the whole thing to me in an engaging manner. Reminded me a lot of the citizen 4 release a few months ago (highly recommended) and while not as good, it comes close.

3.88/5 stars

I think he will have a hard time getting out from under the "Reek" role

Good thematically, subject matter-related double feature.

In Cold Blood

Capote (on how he created a new literary genre, the non-fiction novel). I didn't appreciate PSH as much as I should have when he was alive, but I'm remedying that. This was a masterful performance. I even forgot how brilliant his small role in The Big Lebowski was.

He's going to play a lot of weasely, weak sons of the real villains. If he's lucky when he's older he will be able to handle the main villain role until then he's just inspired cannon fodder.
maybe, but most aspiring actors would be thrilled to be part of GoT, John Wick and Agent Cody Banks 2.

FUBAR said:
Chaka said:
jdoggydogg said:
Chaka said:
jdoggydogg said:
Socrates11 said:

maybe, but most aspiring actors would be thrilled to be part of GoT, John Wick and Agent Cody Banks 2. working

FUBAR said:
Chaka said:
jdoggydogg said:
Chaka said:
jdoggydogg said:
Socrates11 said:

maybe, but most aspiring actors would be thrilled to be part of GoT, John Wick and Agent Cody Banks 2. working
You're right of course but I always found this bit from the Ghostbusters IMDB page to be funny and kind of sad (that people could be so stupid).

In the DVD commentary, Ivan Reitman says he received a call from William Atherton complaining that the movie ruined his life. The character of Walter Peck was so hated that people would talk to Atherton as if they were giving the character Peck a piece of their mind. Apparently more than once, physical fights had been started with Atherton in bars.

Users who are viewing this thread