What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (5 Viewers)

fwiw- I didn't think it was anywhere near best movie of the year category... but I definitely enjoyed it as a fun ride with a handful of fantastic moments. loved charlize as the kickass protagonist.
I think that is what the disconnect is for me.  It is on so many best of the year/decade lists and the critics gushed over it too.  You don't see that for movies that are usually just "fun rides".  I get that I didn't like it, I usually don't like a ton of mindless action movies, I just never got the love above and beyond that.  People aren't talking about it as a fun guilty pleasure, they are talking about it as a great movie in general.

I think that is what the disconnect is for me.  It is on so many best of the year/decade lists and the critics gushed over it too.  You don't see that for movies that are usually just "fun rides".  I get that I didn't like it, I usually don't like a ton of mindless action movies, I just never got the love above and beyond that.  People aren't talking about it as a fun guilty pleasure, they are talking about it as a great movie in general.
I'm with you here.  It's a good fun action movie.  There are a LOT of good fun action movies.  I don't get why this one stands out above any of the rest and is suddenly winning academy awards and considered to be on some other level from the rest.  It's basically like a Marvel movie.  Whee, that was a fun popcorn flick.  There's nothing to differentiate the two to me that suddenly make MM something greater.

I'm with you here.  It's a good fun action movie.  There are a LOT of good fun action movies.  I don't get why this one stands out above any of the rest and is suddenly winning academy awards and considered to be on some other level from the rest.  It's basically like a Marvel movie.  Whee, that was a fun popcorn flick.  There's nothing to differentiate the two to me that suddenly make MM something greater.
I think I take it even farther.  I had such a negative visceral reaction to this movie.  I thought I was being punked or something from the positive reviews.  I just thought it was ridiculously dumb and not in good/fun way that something like a Fast and Furious or Marvel movie would be - just in a dumb way.  Then it started showing up on all the critics' lists and I was really baffled. 

I am stubborn too and want to "get it", so I have tried 3 times and have ended up just really hating this movie.  I just don't understand the love at all. 

Saw John Wick Part 2

Poor sequel to a very good original film.

Paper thin plot, almost no interesting characters (the first one was loaded with them) and anything that was a little exaggerated in the first one is multiplied by 10 in terms of absurdity..

Can someone supply me a list of the best movies from the past decade? I have some catching up to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just seen the trailers for the upcoming movie Atomic Blonde .What's up with the hollywood making Charlize Theron as the next big action hero?

mr fancypants said:
Just seen the trailers for the upcoming movie Atomic Blonde .What's up with the hollywood making Charlize Theron as the next big action hero?
Not sure but I was surprised the other day when I saw her topless with James Spader for a good while.   Nice funbags.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but here's my hottake top 30 grabbing from two lists...

1. The Lives of Others (2006)
  2. Yi Yi (2000)
  3. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)
  4. Spirited Away (2002)
  5. City Of God (2002)
  6. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (2004)
  7. Mulholland Drive (2001)
  8. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (2007)
  9. In The Mood For Love (2000)
  10. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
  11. In Bruges (2008)
  12. No Country for Old Men (2007)
  13. There Will Be Blood (2007)
  14. Boyhood (2014)
  15. Sexy Beast (2000)
  16. Oldboy (Park Chan-wook, 2003)
  17. American Psycho (2000)
  18. Before Midnight (2013)
  19. Man on Wire (2008)
  20. Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
  21. Winter's Bone (2010)
  22. Gosford Park (2001)
  23. This Is England (2006)
  24. Let The Right One In (2008)
  25. Her (2013)
  26. Finding Nemo (2003)
  27. American Splendor (2003)
  28. Capturing the Friedmans (2003)
  29. Borat (2006)
  30. A History Of Violence (2005)

I was too lazy to put my list in the OP for the first one, but here are the two threads that I did

Top 50 movies of decade so far (from a couple years ago)

Top 100 movies of the 00s

Looks like the top 10 from my first list were:

1.  Her

2.  Whiplash

3.  Drive

4.  Take Shelter

5.  Before Midnight

6.  Short Term 12

7.  The Lego Movie

8.  Nightcrawler

9.  Cabin in the Woods

10. Ex Machina

Looks like on page 7 sports fan made a post that consolidated the list. 

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but here's my hottake top 30 grabbing from two lists...

1. The Lives of Others (2006)
  2. Yi Yi (2000)
  3. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)
  4. Spirited Away (2002)
  5. City Of God (2002)
  6. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (2004)
  7. Mulholland Drive (2001)
  8. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (2007)
  9. In The Mood For Love (2000)
  10. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
  11. In Bruges (2008)
  12. No Country for Old Men (2007)
  13. There Will Be Blood (2007)
  14. Boyhood (2014)
  15. Sexy Beast (2000)
  16. Oldboy (Park Chan-wook, 2003)
  17. American Psycho (2000)
  18. Before Midnight (2013)
  19. Man on Wire (2008)
  20. Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
  21. Winter's Bone (2010)
  22. Gosford Park (2001)
  23. This Is England (2006)
  24. Let The Right One In (2008)
  25. Her (2013)
  26. Finding Nemo (2003)
  27. American Splendor (2003)
  28. Capturing the Friedmans (2003)
  29. Borat (2006)
  30. A History Of Violence (2005)
Love this list as well, and need to catch up on a couple of the foreign ones - mostly #s 1, 2, 9. 

Love this list as well, and need to catch up on a couple of the foreign ones - mostly #s 1, 2, 9. 
fwiw- wong kar-wei's fallen angels is one of my favorite films ever (although tbh- haven't seen it since seeing it two or three times in the theater when it came out), but came out in the 90s. in the mood for love is stunning to look at- but you have to be in the right mood to deal with what's intentionally a very slow pace.

Those lists are always flawed.

But simply viewed as a good list of movies, it's a good reference.
Exactly.  It isn't somebody's list, it's just a compilation of highest rated movies.  Plus it's looking at the critics ratings so it would lean to the snobby side. 

Exactly (at least the first part).  It is easy to tear down a list online, but it's harder than it looks to do one of those damn things. 
I guess... I'm kinda hoping for some "what about this movie?" responses to mine which, tbh, I put together in only a couple minutes. I'm sure I left a bunch of good ones that I'll insert and rearrange the list with when they're mentioned.

kinda lumped them together (did the same with LoR). I think I prefer Sunrise tbh.
Sounds good.  I've been wanting to watch them again, but will probably wait until I buy the Criterion set.

I was just curious because I know that Midnight did seem to be more polarizing than the others, especially in the way that it left off.  Sunset is one of my favorite movies period, but I did seem to like Midnight more than most. 

My top 50 movies of the 21st century:
[I'm not willing to rank them. Too lazy]

Sunshine
Requiem for a Dream
American Psycho
Ex Machina
Pan's Labyrinth
Manchester by the Sea
The Social Network 
Zero Dark Thirty
WALL-E
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly 
There Will Be Blood 
Inglourious Basterds
Toy Story 3
The Triplets of Belleville
No Country for Old Men 
Lars and the Real Girl
Into the Wild
Nightcrawler
Winter's Bone 
Her 
Interstellar
Almost Famous 
American Splendor
Black Hawk Down
28 Days Later
Mad Max: Fury Road 
The Wrestler
The Pianist
Ghost World
Capturing the Friedmans
Shadow of the Vampire
American Hustle 
The Lives of Others 
High Fidelity
Syrianna
Mulholland Drive
Sexy Beast
The Orphanage
Boyhood 
Tropic Thunder
Whiplash
Hanna
Donnie Darko
Once
The Road
A History of Violence
Gangs of New York
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Sunshine
Requiem for a Dream
American Psycho
Ex Machina
Pan's Labyrinth
Manchester by the Sea
The Social Network 
Zero Dark Thirty
WALL-E
There Will Be Blood 
Inglourious Basterds
Toy Story 3
No Country for Old Men 
Lars and the Real Girl
Into the Wild
Nightcrawler
Winter's Bone 
Her 
Interstellar
Almost Famous 
American Splendor
Black Hawk Down
28 Days Later
The Wrestler
The Pianist
Ghost World
Capturing the Friedmans
Shadow of the Vampire
American Hustle 
The Lives of Others 
High Fidelity
Syrianna
Mulholland Drive
Sexy Beast
The Orphanage
Boyhood 
Tropic Thunder
Whiplash
Hanna
Donnie Darko
Once
The Road
A History of Violence
Gangs of New York
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Fantastic list as well.  I think I only strongly disagree with 2, and you know what one of them is. 

The bolded ones are ones that I think are great and seem to get overlooked a bit on "best of" lists. 

I do find it interesting to see which Pixar movies people gravitate to and why.  Wall-E is one that I really didn't connect with, but see in a lot of critic lists as well - along with Ratatouille and Up.  For me the heartstrings get pulled the most in Monsters Inc and Toy Story movies.  We just watched Inside Out again recently and I liked that one a bit more than I did in the theater, but that also has the benefit of being released in a really sequel heavy subpar time for Pixar.  It's really sad to see them going down this road actually. 

Black Hawk Down

Shadow of the Vampire

Hanna

BHD and Hanna might crack my list... probably BHD for scope but I looove Hanna. 

also lovelove defoe's performance in SotV- probably my favorite vampire movie, along with Kiss of the Vampire (which is more in the camp mode- but pretty awesome, quotable and under-rated nick cage movie)

Sunshine
Requiem for a Dream
American Psycho
Ex Machina
Pan's Labyrinth
Manchester by the Sea
The Social Network 
Zero Dark Thirty

WALL-E
There Will Be Blood 
Inglourious Basterds

Toy Story 3
No Country for Old Men 
Lars and the Real Girl
Into the Wild
Nightcrawler
Winter's Bone 
Her 
Interstellar
Almost Famous 

American Splendor
Black Hawk Down
28 Days Later
The Wrestler
The Pianist

Ghost World
Capturing the Friedmans
Shadow of the Vampire
American Hustle 
The Lives of Others 
High Fidelity
Syrianna
Mulholland Drive
Sexy Beast
The Orphanage
Boyhood 
Tropic Thunder
Whiplash
Hanna
Donnie Darko
Once
The Road
A History of Violence
Gangs of New York

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
All the bolded would make my list, many of the not bolded I have not seen some I didn't bold but might make my top 50 after seeing what else is out there.  There are definitely at least 10 bolded I can see as a #1 overall depending on taste.

Nocturnal Animals would definitely be on my list.

Users who are viewing this thread