Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

What kind of beer is everyone drinking tonight?


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Steve Tasker said:

Roc Brewing Whoopass DIPA

Hey, it's one I've had! And I happen to have a Side Launch Wheat in my hand. They actually issued a recall today for a few different packaging dates in July. I guess the yeast is causing it to sour if it isn't kept refrigerated...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tonight:

Pseudo Sue, Sip Of Sunshine, Civil Society Blondes make me Hoppy w/Mosaic, MIA MegaMix, Westy Gose, White Oak Jai Alai, Bissell Bros Reciprocal.

Then Broiled Florida Lobster tails, mac n cheese and cole slaw, with an Alchemist Crusher.

Now having a CCB Guayabera. It's been a good night.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Coeur de Lion said:

Wow -- I feel like #### this morning. Never would have guessed that multiple bombers of 10% ish beer after you're already drunk would be a bad idea LOL. .

:lmao: A lesson I learned and then somehow forgot many times. It finally sunk in about the 50th time I did it, I no longer crack bombers of anything once Im 2 and a half sheets to the wind...theyll shoot you straight to 5 sheets, and thats no bueno. lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

:lmao: A lesson I learned and then somehow forgot many times. It finally sunk in about the 50th time I did it, I no longer crack bombers of anything once Im 2 and a half sheets to the wind...theyll shoot you straight to 5 sheets, and thats no bueno. lol

Yep. I'll avoid doing it for a couple of months and then it'll randomly somehow sound like a good idea again.

Didn't help that fresh Dreadnaught and Permanant Funeral go down sooo easy.

Edited by Coeur de Lion
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

Any time 3 Floyds wants to distribute some ZD to Mich City, that would be nice.  Haven't seen it there in 3 months.  I'll revisit Burnham Brewing later today.

IMO, unless you get super lucky, there's almost no chance of finding it at any bottle shop, anywhere, period. Much easier to just go buy some at the brewery, even if the drive is a PITA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Coeur de Lion said:

IMO, unless you get super lucky, there's almost no chance of finding it at any bottle shop, anywhere, period. Much easier to just go buy some at the brewery, even if the drive is a PITA.

The drive is easy for me (live right by Greenbush Brewery), hate dealing with 3F as they are really pompous pricks in person.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

The drive is easy for me (live right by Greenbush Brewery), hate dealing with 3F as they are really pompous pricks in person.  

Yeah, that's exactly why I hit up the take out kiosk as opposed to the brew pub. Most of the staff are fine, but there are more than a few that are just ###holes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

The drive is easy for me (live right by Greenbush Brewery), hate dealing with 3F as they are really pompous pricks in person.  

 

16 minutes ago, Coeur de Lion said:

Yeah, that's exactly why I hit up the take out kiosk as opposed to the brew pub. Most of the staff are fine, but there are more than a few that are just ###holes.

So why continue to support them? There are sooooo many breweries in Chicagoland that are as good or better. Love that they can't #### people over with prices anymore since they have real competition. Last time I bought 3Fs was for my GB Wingnut. I won't buy it for myself anymore for that reason. Oh and I think it was CDL or ditka asking with HA will do the collab with 3Fs again...not sure they will. I've talked to quite a few folks over at HA and they can't stand 3Fs or the Pipeworks guys due to their arrogance.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

 

So why continue to support them? There are sooooo many breweries in Chicagoland that are as good or better. Love that they can't #### people over with prices anymore since they have real competition. Last time I bought 3Fs was for my GB Wingnut. I won't buy it for myself anymore for that reason. Oh and I think it was CDL or ditka asking with HA will do the collab with 3Fs again...not sure they will. I've talked to quite a few folks over at HA and they can't stand 3Fs or the Pipeworks guys due to their arrogance.

I'd argue with "or better," personally. And most of their stuff is $10 a sixer (or bomber for the big stuff) which is actually very competitive. There are a few hostesses and servers that are awful in the brewpub / restaurant, sure, but that's not enough to keep me from buying what IMO is really great beer.

I've met Drew at 18th Street a bunch and BSed with him for a long time several times -- he's seriously a GREAT dude. But I didn't go running up there to buy Grapefruit Dead at $22 / 4 pack because I like the owner. My beer purchases are based on what I like vs. value for the $$$ at the end of the day. And IMO FFF still delivers. As does Pipeworks, BTW, even if they're ###holes, which I've heard, too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Coeur de Lion said:

I'd argue with "or better," personally. And most of their stuff is $10 a sixer (or bomber for the big stuff) which is actually very competitive. There are a few hostesses and servers that are awful in the brewpub / restaurant, sure, but that's not enough to keep me from buying what IMO is really great beer.

I've met Drew at 18th Street a bunch and BSed with him for a long time several times -- he's seriously a GREAT dude. But I didn't go running up there to buy Grapefruit Dead at $22 / 4 pack because I like the owner. My beer purchases are based on what I like vs. value for the $$$ at the end of the day. And IMO FFF still delivers. As does Pipeworks, BTW, even if they're ###holes, which I've heard, too.

My point is if you have to try and avoid the #######s to me that's not worth the hassle, JMO is all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

My point is if you have to try and avoid the #######s to me that's not worth the hassle, JMO is all.

No, I agree with this 100% -- which is why it's been a few years since I've gone for dinner / beers at the brewpub. Never had a bad experience at the kiosk, though, where it's pretty much just: "give me _____________" and "OK, that'll be _____________."

On a side note, I have to plug Four Fathers again while we're on the subject. One of the owners / head brewers is almost always on site, and they always come out to make sure that you're having a good experience. I've had a ton of free samples and great conversations with them. They're craft beer geeks first, and business owners second, and it shows in how they treat their customers. Granted, they know me well as a regular now -- but I've felt valued from day one. First time I walked in there they offered me samples of everything on the house so I knew what growlers to grab to take home...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

 

So why continue to support them? There are sooooo many breweries in Chicagoland that are as good or better. Love that they can't #### people over with prices anymore since they have real competition. Last time I bought 3Fs was for my GB Wingnut. I won't buy it for myself anymore for that reason. Oh and I think it was CDL or ditka asking with HA will do the collab with 3Fs again...not sure they will. I've talked to quite a few folks over at HA and they can't stand 3Fs or the Pipeworks guys due to their arrogance.

I usually pick up ZD or Gumballhead for trade since I am in Indiana 3-4 days a week and they are not in Michigan.  

 

Awaiting the Haymarket Brewing opening in Michigan.  Live 5 minutes from their new digs.  SW Michigan has really grown with the brewery and winery tourism.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Coeur de Lion said:

No, I agree with this 100% -- which is why it's been a few years since I've gone for dinner / beers at the brewpub. Never had a bad experience at the kiosk, though, where it's pretty much just: "give me _____________" and "OK, that'll be _____________."

On a side note, I have to plug Four Fathers again while we're on the subject. One of the owners / head brewers is almost always on site, and they always come out to make sure that you're having a good experience. I've had a ton of free samples and great conversations with them. They're craft beer geeks first, and business owners second, and it shows in how they treat their customers. Granted, they know me well as a regular now -- but I've felt valued from day one. First time I walked in there they offered me samples of everything on the house so I knew what growlers to grab to take home...

Damn Four Fathers looks pretty good! I've recently discovered some local breweries to me that don't distro or distro only locally. It's pretty crazy how much the craft industry continues to grow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Coeur de Lion said:

Back on the horse with ZD. Grilling up a bunch of boneless skinless chicken breats to have during the week -- wife back to work Monday and won't feel like cooking I'm sure. And I can't grill without a beer in my hand.

Atta boy. Sunday Funday is what it's about. I have to behave for a little while since my in-laws count our bottles ( my beer and wife's wine) and the wife is back in IL so I feel a little bad without her running interference in the wine front. 

Sure to be back on the horse later today though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

 

So why continue to support them? There are sooooo many breweries in Chicagoland that are as good or better. Love that they can't #### people over with prices anymore since they have real competition. Last time I bought 3Fs was for my GB Wingnut. I won't buy it for myself anymore for that reason. Oh and I think it was CDL or ditka asking with HA will do the collab with 3Fs again...not sure they will. I've talked to quite a few folks over at HA and they can't stand 3Fs or the Pipeworks guys due to their arrogance.

I don't mind their beer at all, I just won't pay the premium anymore. I heard the same things said about them and that's fine but I'd be a hypocrite if I stopped buying from them since I like DLD and a lot of their beers. I just don't buy 15 dollar dust or 14 dollar alpha king. If it's 10.99 or so, sure. 

Doesn't surprise me about Pipeworks either but that happens to some when they basically become beer royalty in some respects. At least they price their beer appropriately. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

Damn Four Fathers looks pretty good! I've recently discovered some local breweries to me that don't distro or distro only locally. It's pretty crazy how much the craft industry continues to grow.

I'm a big fan. Doesn't hurt that they're five minutes from my house, and that they're definitely good people, but at the end of the day my beer $$$ gets distributed almost exclusively based on "is the beer good?" -- and they absolutely check that box IMO. Worth a stop 100% IMO -- they're not FFF or 18th Street, but IMO they're 3rd in NWI, better than Burn 'Em. They definitely are multiple notches better than F8, Devil's Trumpet, Back Road, etc (the rest).

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ditka311 said:

I don't mind their beer at all, I just won't pay the premium anymore. I heard the same things said about them and that's fine but I'd be a hypocrite if I stopped buying from them since I like DLD and a lot of their beers. I just don't buy 15 dollar dust or 14 dollar alpha king. If it's 10.99 or so, sure. 

Doesn't surprise me about Pipeworks either but that happens to some when they basically become beer royalty in some respects. At least they price their beer appropriately. 

That's a distributor / retailer issue though. FFF sells ZD, etc for $10 / sixer and $40 case at the kiosk, despite the fact that they'd sell just as much at a 50% or greater markup IMO.

Granted, their barrel aged and limited releases can be :shock:, but for the regular stuff, can't complain IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Coeur de Lion said:

That's a distributor / retailer issue though. FFF sells ZD, etc for $10 / sixer and $40 case at the kiosk, despite the fact that they'd sell just as much at a 50% or greater markup IMO.

Granted, their barrel aged and limited releases can be :shock:, but for the regular stuff, can't complain IMO.

I understand. Used to go there frequently  just for cases. I still enjoy the place I just won't pay what people charge here. 

I have a draft in Indiana coming up and will probably stop there and 18th for some things to bring back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Coeur de Lion said:

I'm a big fan. Doesn't hurt that they're five minutes from my house, and that they're definitely good people, but at the end of the day my beer $$$ gets distributed almost exclusively based on "is the beer good?" -- and they absolutely check that box IMO. Worth a stop 100% IMO -- they're not FFF or 18th Street, but IMO they're 3rd in NWI, better than Burn 'Em. They definitely are multiple notches better than F8, Devil's Trumpet, Back Road, etc (the rest).

 

 

 

I'll have to check this place out.  I usually go down to Barnes and Nobles on SR2, looks close by.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, ditka311 said:

I understand. Used to go there frequently  just for cases. I still enjoy the place I just won't pay what people charge here. 

I have a draft in Indiana coming up and will probably stop there and 18th for some things to bring back. 

There is just so much great beer out there right now, that IMO convenience is starting to play a huge role. For me, I don't drink as much Pipeworks, Revolution, Surly, and Half Acre as I do FFF, 18th, and Four Fathers. Not because they're not as good; they are, obviously. It's because they don't distro to IN, and great beer that I can grab easily > great beer that I have to plan and drive to get -- it's that simple.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

I'll have to check this place out.  I usually go down to Barnes and Nobles on SR2, looks close by.

Well worth it IMO. I've never had a beer that's less than "good" from them -- and a few of them are "great." Specifically, their sours, Marty McRye, Western Sunrise, and Crystal Gravy can hang with the big boys of the area easily IMO.

It's a straight shot down Lincolnway through downtown to Four Fathers. Also check out Old World Market while you're in town. Not a big beer selection, but you can find some real gems there that sell out quickly from the bottle shops. I scored BA Bomb and Birthday Bomb there just sitting on the shelf.

Edited by Coeur de Lion
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Coeur de Lion said:

There is just so much great beer out there right now, that IMO convenience is starting to play a huge role. For me, I don't drink as much Pipeworks, Revolution, Surly, and Half Acre as I do FFF, 18th, and Four Fathers. Not because they're not as good; they are, obviously. It's because they don't distro to IN, and great beer that I can grab easily > great beer that I have to plan and drive to get -- it's that simple.

Spot on. Agree with you 100%..

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had a nice little afternoon of drinking:

Black Project Ejector dry-hopped spontaneous sour

AC Golden Plum sour brown aged in whiskey barrels with plums

Weldwerks Juicy Bits IPA (one of the hottest new IPAs in the country; it just placed 8th in a blind tasting of 247 top IPAs in the country

Pipeworks Coffee Break Abduction imperial stout with coffee and vanilla beans 

Odd13 Hopperella IPA

Station 26 Tangerine Cream Ale with tangerine peel and vanilla beans 

Station 26 Juicy Banger IPA (placed 44th in the Paste blind IPA tasting)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Coeur de Lion said:

There is just so much great beer out there right now, that IMO convenience is starting to play a huge role. For me, I don't drink as much Pipeworks, Revolution, Surly, and Half Acre as I do FFF, 18th, and Four Fathers. Not because they're not as good; they are, obviously. It's because they don't distro to IN, and great beer that I can grab easily > great beer that I have to plan and drive to get -- it's that simple.

I've been at this point for awhile now.  I drink locals more than anything else and haven't traded in years.  Not that the far-flung beers aren't great, they certainly are, just not worth the hassle.  If I'm out of town I'll stop and buy some to bring home but I'm more than happy with a fresh local beer than <insert hype beer that you have to chase/mortgage a house/sell a first-born for>.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Buckfast 1 said:

I've had a nice little afternoon of drinking:

Black Project Ejector dry-hopped spontaneous sour

AC Golden Plum sour brown aged in whiskey barrels with plums

Weldwerks Juicy Bits IPA (one of the hottest new IPAs in the country; it just placed 8th in a blind tasting of 247 top IPAs in the country

Pipeworks Coffee Break Abduction imperial stout with coffee and vanilla beans 

Odd13 Hopperella IPA

Station 26 Tangerine Cream Ale with tangerine peel and vanilla beans 

Station 26 Juicy Banger IPA (placed 44th in the Paste blind IPA tasting)

 

See you at GABF! You too @TheAristocrat . I'll take that early floor map again whenever you get a chance...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Sebowski said:

 

See you at GABF! You too @TheAristocrat . I'll take that early floor map again whenever you get a chance...

I've got my GABF tickets for Thursday night and Saturday afternoon.  I can't wait for GABF week in Denver -- the greatest week of beer drinking in the world, in my opinion.  There are always lots of GABF tickets for sale around the time of the festival if anyone else wants to think about coming out to Denver for the festival.  I'll see you there @Sebowski!  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Buckfast 1 said:

I've got my GABF tickets for Thursday night and Saturday afternoon.  I can't wait for GABF week in Denver -- the greatest week of beer drinking in the world, in my opinion.  There are always lots of GABF tickets for sale around the time of the festival if anyone else wants to think about coming out to Denver for the festival.  I'll see you there @Sebowski!  

I'll have my usual 6 comps if you need any more. You're always penciled in for 2.

@Sebowski Teams got the map this week. If I don't send it to you tomorrow morning, give me a friendly reminder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TheAristocrat said:

I'll have my usual 6 comps if you need any more. You're always penciled in for 2.

@Sebowski Teams got the map this week. If I don't send it to you tomorrow morning, give me a friendly reminder.

Awesome, @TheAristocrat.  My brother didn't get tickets yet, but would love to go if you have some extra tickets.  I have to take you on my best of GABF tour this year.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Buckfast 1 said:

Awesome, @TheAristocrat.  My brother didn't get tickets yet, but would love to go if you have some extra tickets.  I have to take you on my best of GABF tour this year.  

Done and done.  We'll make it happen.  Just like last year, I won't get the tickets until September's meeting.  If you have a preference for tickets, let me know and I'll prioritize my request.  I'm assuming the Saturday afternoon session and that can be done.  All other sessions are easy.  Seniority is nice.

Another captain and I always make it a point to get there early on Thursday (noonish, mostly for preliminary island setup that few other teams seem to do) to see GABF with only a couple dozen people on the floor.  Always brings a big smile to my face.  We also search out brewers who are generous with their taps during the "you shouldn't be doing that" time.  Or just flat out pour at our island because we have to know our beers, right?

Let's do a Best Of during the Saturday afternoon session.  Can't imagine much better than a Buckfast guided tour for abusing my captain's privileges.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 3:24 PM, berndog said:

Just picked up a 4 pack of Heist's Blurred is the Word brewed with Mosaic and Azaaca hops.  Weekend is off to a good start! :banned:

What a spectacular juicy beer!!! :thumbup: It might be sacrilege but I don't think Trillium has anything on these guys. If you are in Charlotte Heist is a must stop. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Woah...Civil Society's Subject Seven DIPA...super hazy, super juicy...think Tree House or Trillium but with more hop bitterness (which is a good thing). My new favorite beer by my favorite brewery in FL. These guys are KILLING every hoppy beer they make. Who says Florida doesnt have world class IPAs? Not this guy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went to the Wicked Weed Colorado launch party last night at Falling Rock.  I'm excited to see them hit distribution here, as I've been a big fan for years.  I got to hang out with the founder and brewer, Walt Dickinson, for awhile last night.  He's a really cool and nice guy.  I also drank a bunch of Wicked Weed beers:

Silencio - black sour with coffee and vanilla beans in bourbon barrels

Genesis - Blonde sour with mango, papaya, guava, and pineapple in white wine barrels

Resonare - Golden sour with plums in neutral wine barrels 

Fille de Ferme - Tart farmhouse with honeysuckle and orange peel

Amorous - Sour IPA dry-hopped with mosaic, amarillo, citra in red wine barrels 
 
Parking Lot - Jester King collaboration farmhouse ale dry-hopped with Mandarina Bavaria and Huell Melon hops
 
Dark Age - Russian imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels 
 
Marina - Blonde sour with peaches and apricots in wine barrels 
 
Recurrent - Amber sour with black currants in red wine barrels
 
Freak - Imperial IPA
 
I'm actually going to Asheville next weekend for my destination fantasy draft, so it was a great preview of what's to come.  I'm planning on hitting the Wicked Weed Funkatorium, Burial, Green Man, Hi-Wire, Wedge, and Sierra Nevada while I'm there.  

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

Woah...Civil Society's Subject Seven DIPA...super hazy, super juicy...think Tree House or Trillium but with more hop bitterness (which is a good thing). My new favorite beer by my favorite brewery in FL. These guys are KILLING every hoppy beer they make. Who says Florida doesnt have world class IPAs? Not this guy.

My buddy stopped there and got some beers. Loved them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks to @Long Ball Larry for the Tired Hands hookup. Alien Church is outstanding. So much citrus. And pine. Tons of hop. Reminds me a lot of the Crooked Stave IPA.  Good chance my friend and I polish off all this beer tonight. They say drink it fresh, right?

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...