What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What kind of beer is everyone drinking tonight? (10 Viewers)

Haha.  We barely missed each other at the Pizza Port OB anniversary party.  We should definitely grab some beers in Denver this week.

I haven't been to the Bottlefest event at First Draft before, but it sounds pretty legit.  Tickets are only $10, and you get a certain number of tokens to use for pours of rare beers.  They are apparently going to have bottles from Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen, Hill Farmstead, Jester King, Casey, Tilquin, Lawson's, and more.  You can buy tickets for a particular time slot at this link:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bottlefest-2016-sponsored-by-tavour-tickets-27687326539
We got the 630 session.

@Buckfast 1

How is Stem Ciders?
I don't drink a lot of ciders, but they do some really nice dry, barrel-aged ciders at Stem Ciders.  One of the owners told me that they aimed to make ciders that weren't overly sweet and that allowed them to showcase a range of different barrels.  I really enjoy some of their bourbon barrel-aged ciders.

There's a lot of other great stuff around Stem Ciders, which would make it a good place to check out while you're in town.  I really like Ratio Brewing, Finn's Manor, First Draft, Beryl's Brewing, and Crema Coffee House, which all within a couple blocks of Stem.  

I don't drink a lot of ciders, but they do some really nice dry, barrel-aged ciders at Stem Ciders.  One of the owners told me that they aimed to make ciders that weren't overly sweet and that allowed them to showcase a range of different barrels.  I really enjoy some of their bourbon barrel-aged ciders.

There's a lot of other great stuff around Stem Ciders, which would make it a good place to check out while you're in town.  I really like Ratio Brewing, Finn's Manor, First Draft, Beryl's Brewing, and Crema Coffee House, which all within a couple blocks of Stem.  
That sounds up our alley. We both love dry ciders. Not so much the sweet stuff. 

Any cool neighborhoods worth checking out? We just did downtown last year. Would like to see a little more this time. 

Any cool neighborhoods worth checking out? We just did downtown last year. Would like to see a little more this time. 
I would definitely recommend checking out the Highlands neighborhood and walking along Tennyson Street.  Hops and Pie is a great place to start and will have one of the best tap lists in town throughout GABF.  You can walk along Tennyson to several breweries (Call to Arms, DeSteeg, Hogshead) and lots of good restaurants.  

The Lower Highlands (LoHi) neighborhood has some cool stuff too.  I'd recommend checking out Avanti, which is a food truck collective with like 8 different restaurants in one space with a solid tap list and the best rooftop views of the city skyline.  Forest Room 5 is one of my favorite bars in Denver with its outdoor firepits and is right by Avanti.  There are a lot of great restaurants in that area, including Root Down, Old Major, Uncle, Bar Dough, and Highland Tap and Burger.

The area along Broadway and the Uptown neighborhood along 17th Street would probably be my other neighborhood recommendations.  Black Project is a wild spontaneous fermentation brewery on South Broadway, which makes some great beers.  Dos Santos on 17th Street in Uptown is my favorite place for tacos in the city.  

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbup:  I can easily see dropping that much or more there. I'd be effed if I lived anywhere within striking distance of that place.
I bought 1 4-pack of everything they had and additional 4-packs of the 2 DDH beers that they had.  10 4-packs total.  A lot of them are going to be gifts for people but I'll be drinking a lot of Trillium for the next few weeks.  The beers I had on tap were all really good too.

Stopped at Tree House too, my first time seeing their new operation....last time (only time) I was there it was still in like the red barn farmhouse and they were tap only.  Line was crazy even though I got there before they opened Thursday....I guess they were posting vague tweets and people thought there would be an unannounced release so a line started forming at 2 (they open at 5).  They opened the doors at 4:15 because the line was so long already, and there was no special release.  I didn't want to wait in the growler line so I went cans only....got my allotment of 10 cans of Green, all they had that day (not that I'm complaining),  I got there at 4:55 and was out the door at 5:35....kinda crazy for a non-special-release.

Trillium is a great space, much better to spend time rather than Tree House.  My friends in the area told me that they virtually never go to Tree House anymore and just go to Trillium instead because they're roughly equidistant from both.

I bought 1 4-pack of everything they had and additional 4-packs of the 2 DDH beers that they had.  10 4-packs total.  A lot of them are going to be gifts for people but I'll be drinking a lot of Trillium for the next few weeks.  The beers I had on tap were all really good too.

Stopped at Tree House too, my first time seeing their new operation....last time (only time) I was there it was still in like the red barn farmhouse and they were tap only.  Line was crazy even though I got there before they opened Thursday....I guess they were posting vague tweets and people thought there would be an unannounced release so a line started forming at 2 (they open at 5).  They opened the doors at 4:15 because the line was so long already, and there was no special release.  I didn't want to wait in the growler line so I went cans only....got my allotment of 10 cans of Green, all they had that day (not that I'm complaining),

Trillium is a great space, much better to spend time rather than Tree House.  My friends in the area told me that they virtually never go to Tree House anymore and just go to Trillium instead because they're roughly equidistant from both.
One of the things that I appreciated most about Trillium when I was there was the fact that I was able to get in out out fast and buy a ton of beer with literally zero hassle. They had I think maybe 4 - 6 different varieties of cans and a bunch of different bombers with case limits on each. I didn't get the chance to go out to Treehouse, unfortunately, but did try a couple of their beers while I was out there -- they were also spectacular, but I wouldn't say better than Trillium, but given the drive, huge lines, uncertainty about what was being offered, and strict limits vs. just walking in and out with whatever I wanted, Trillium would be an absolute no-brainer for me if I lived out there. A typical (no special release) trip to FFF for me is more of a pain in terms of lines, parking, etc (although still no big deal) than going to Trillium, which is incredible given the hype and relative size of the two breweries.

One of the things that I appreciated most about Trillium when I was there was the fact that I was able to get in out out fast and buy a ton of beer with literally zero hassle. They had I think maybe 4 - 6 different varieties of cans and a bunch of different bombers with case limits on each. I didn't get the chance to go out to Treehouse, unfortunately, but did try a couple of their beers while I was out there -- they were also spectacular, but I wouldn't say better than Trillium, but given the drive, huge lines, uncertainty about what was being offered, and strict limits vs. just walking in and out with whatever I wanted, Trillium would be an absolute no-brainer for me if I lived out there. A typical (no special release) trip to FFF for me is more of a pain in terms of lines, parking, etc (although still no big deal) than going to Trillium, which is incredible given the hype and relative size of the two breweries.
At Trillium I never had to wait for a beer at the bar or for the cans.  Granted it was Friday from about 12:30 - 2 PM, not exactly primetime for bars, but everything was just very smooth.  Plenty of room to spread out.  There was literally no line for cans when I went to buy them as I was leaving.  They didn't have any bottles unfortunately.  Some guy in front of me bought 36 4-packs, they gave him a dolly to take them out to his car.  I could've happily spent more but I don't want to have too much to where it starts to fall off a bit....what I have should hold me for a few weeks for certain.

I've only been to FFF once, is it still the same setup with a small brewpub and a side entrance for bottles?  I went years ago though I do have a sweet Teku from my trip.  @tangfoot >hey.

I've only been to FFF once, is it still the same setup with a small brewpub and a side entrance for bottles?  I went years ago though I do have a sweet Teku from my trip.  @tangfoot >hey.
Pretty much, although they're expanding the brewery and building a distillery next door now. It's brutal to try to get in to the brewpub for dinner more often than not (forget Friday or Saturday night unless you are willing to wait an hour and a half), and ZD being available usually means a 20+ deep line of neck-beards at the kiosk taking forever as they pore over the offerings LOL. My office is less than 10 minutes from the brewery, so I can usually swing in over lunch when the wait is only a few minutes for bottles, but going after work to pick stuff up can be an entirely different story.

I know I've pimped them plenty, but again, Four Fathers' The Gadget is just a GREAT beer. @ditka311, @Hawks64 if you see this locally, buy it. Best use of mango in a beer that I've ever had. Big mango in the nose, very subtle on the palate -- just enough to balance the huge hop hit with some faint background sweetness.

I know I've pimped them plenty, but again, Four Fathers' The Gadget is just a GREAT beer. @ditka311, @Hawks64 if you see this locally, buy it. Best use of mango in a beer that I've ever had. Big mango in the nose, very subtle on the palate -- just enough to balance the huge hop hit with some faint background sweetness.
Looks like they only distribute in Indiana. Will try to remember next time I am out that way. 

Looks like they only distribute in Indiana. Will try to remember next time I am out that way. 
Yeah, unsurprising -- they're truly a nano -- they rent a canning / bottling line and their space is < 1000 square feet total for retail and the actual brewery, easily. They absolutely brew beer that ranges from good --> great though -- guarantee that they're a "name" a year or two from now.

How was that? I passed on it, not how I feel about a double red.

Hubbards Fresh v4

Une Anne Devil's Reign

Noon Whistle Orange Cosmo and Mosaic puppies and sunrise. Both very good.
It was good. I will probably grab another. I do like a good hoppy red though. 

Were those Noon Whistle beers in cans or on tap?

Anyone ever have Julius from Tree House?  The brewery is almost a two hour drive for me so trying to figure out if the beer is as good as the hype.

Baloney Sandwich said:
Anyone ever have Julius from Tree House?  The brewery is almost a two hour drive for me so trying to figure out if the beer is as good as the hype.
I haven't had Julius, but Green and Alter Ego were both world class and deserving of the Tree House hype.

Western Sunrise, and grilling some brats.
Best batch of this yet IMO -- per the head brewer more Citra, much less cascade, longer fermentation to bring out the Brett funk -- almost like a sour / IPA hybrid. Really good -- little bit of pucker and a big hit of funk and bitterness.

We did a neighborhood bus tour of 5 new breweries in town last night, with our final stop being the local distillery. That last one was a pretty bad decision, but I guess bad decisions are to be expected under the circumstances.  All five new breweries are great additions to the local craft beer scene - Good City, Third Space, Mobcraft, Like Minds and Black Husky.

Baloney Sandwich said:
Yes it is.

We did a neighborhood bus tour of 5 new breweries in town last night, with our final stop being the local distillery. That last one was a pretty bad decision, but I guess bad decisions are to be expected under the circumstances.  All five new breweries are great additions to the local craft beer scene - Good City, Third Space, Mobcraft, Like Minds and Black Husky.
Have a Black Husky pale ale in the fridge. Did you get a chance to try it?

Have had a couple of different Like Minds and was not impressed.

Have had a couple of different Like Minds and was not impressed.
They've been available in local restaurants for the past year or so, just opened the brewpub. I've really liked everything I've had from them. The farmhouse / saison / sours are all very well done. 

Users who are viewing this thread