Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

What kind of beer is everyone drinking tonight?

Odd Side Hazels Nuts

breaking out a stout for the cooler weather. This one BBA with hazelnuts, coffee, chocolate and oats. 2020 batch is as delicious as ever.

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wingnut

• ditka311

• Hawks64

• Coeur de Lion

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Congrats to @Sebowski!  Ocelot Brewing just won a gold medal at GABF in the kellerbier/zwickelbier category.  

My son and I are about to embark on a toad trip to Foam, The Alchemist, Hill Farmstead, Lawson’s Finest Liquids, Tree House, and Trillium

Obligatory shout out to Larry Bell for Two Hearted. I honestly can’t think of another American beer that has been so delicious, consistent, and relevant for two freaking decades. And it’s under ten fr

20 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Saw some old nation at a Whole Foods I don’t go to much.  Only know it from @Ilov80s posts.  M43. Pretty pretty pretty pretty good.

boss tweed in the fridge.

Nice, glad you were able to get some.

22 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Odd Side Hazels Nuts

breaking out a stout for the cooler weather. This one BBA with hazelnuts, coffee, chocolate and oats. 2020 batch is as delicious as ever.

I saw this also, ill have to give it a try.

• Like 1

I can almost taste the Space Dust IPA that's gonna hit my lips in about two hours.

Anyone else having issues with BeerAdvocate's website?

FWIW I can only have one, maybe two if I'm feeling adventurous.  That bad boy kicks hard.

• Like 1
On 10/4/2020 at 6:42 PM, Long Ball Larry said:

Saw some old nation at a Whole Foods I don’t go to much.  Only know it from @Ilov80s posts.  M43. Pretty pretty pretty pretty good.

boss tweed in the fridge.

Nice, let me know what you think of the Tweed 

Yuengling Hershey Chocolate Porter
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2452397648389399

Apparently, it was first released last year in very limited supply and area.   Was brought back and re-released this month.
But depending on where you live it may be difficult to find.   I just happened to be travelling last weekend coming back from a college football game and found it on the Untapped app that a Total Wine had it and the location was ~1 mi from the highway that i was on.   You bet i stopped and picked up a case and a half.

17 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

The Tweed is certainly immensely drinkable for a 9.3 beer.  

I mostly taste the Simcoe hops I think, though the blend of all the hops wasn't ideal for me.  Has a grassy, herbal flavor which I like, but maybe would be better with a little more spice.  I would definitely drink it again, just not up my alley quite as much as the M43.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

The Tweed is certainly immensely drinkable for a 9.3 beer.  

I mostly taste the Simcoe hops I think, though the blend of all the hops wasn't ideal for me.  Has a grassy, herbal flavor which I like, but maybe would be better with a little more spice.  I would definitely drink it again, just not up my alley quite as much as the M43.

Interesting. I agree M-43 is  better. You are in PA, right? Is there where you got it? 

Transient- Rainbows and Waterfalls DIPA- don;t think I have knowingly had Burma hops before. Very good beer with a serious hop punch but I am don't know the date on it and think it might be a little older than I would prefer or maybe wasn't stored properly. I got it out of the fridge at a store but they also had a bunch of in the aisle so who knows how the rotation works. 

On 10/8/2020 at 5:54 PM, Ilov80s said:

Not an IPA guy at all and a friend gave 1 to me when he had come back from up your way and I loved it. Now that it is in NC I got some and was happy until I tried it. Tasted totally different. Not sure if it was older or what. Tried the m43 too and wasn’t impressed.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, steelerfan1 said:

Not an IPA guy at all and a friend gave 1 to me when he had come back from up your way and I loved it. Now that it is in NC I got some and was happy until I tried it. Tasted totally different. Not sure if it was older or what. Tried the m43 too and wasn’t impressed.

I’m guessing it’s not fresh when it’s getting to these other states. I see a lot of kind of old here in Michigan. 

• Thanks 1

More Arvon IPAs. Gull Rock which is a SMASH El Dorado. Real good stuff. Feels like the first true Saturday of the Fall with big boxing fights on ESPN and UGA-Bama. 

12 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

More Arvon IPAs. Gull Rock which is a SMASH El Dorado. Real good stuff. Feels like the first true Saturday of the Fall with big boxing fights on ESPN and UGA-Bama. 

80 degrees and sunny here right now...I love fall in Florida.

A new brewery opened in Tampa last weekend called Magnanimous...their IPAs are delicious and remind me of Calusa or Civil Society, and their sours are pretty great too.

Gonna enjoy growlers of Juice Lord IPA (don't remember the hops, but its hazy goodness), and Cactus Jack (sour with cactus pear and jackfruit) today during football.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

80 degrees and sunny here right now...I love fall in Florida.

A new brewery opened in Tampa last weekend called Magnanimous...their IPAs are delicious and remind me of Calusa or Civil Society, and their sours are pretty great too.

Gonna enjoy growlers of Juice Lord IPA (don't remember the hops, but its hazy goodness), and Cactus Jack (sour with cactus pear and jackfruit) today during football.

Nice. I love the fall in Michigan. It’s just the winter that is awful. 

On 10/8/2020 at 6:36 PM, Nemesis said:

Yuengling Hershey Chocolate Porter
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2452397648389399

Apparently, it was first released last year in very limited supply and area.   Was brought back and re-released this month.
But depending on where you live it may be difficult to find.   I just happened to be travelling last weekend coming back from a college football game and found it on the Untapped app that a Total Wine had it and the location was ~1 mi from the highway that i was on.   You bet i stopped and picked up a case and a half.

I want that. 

Doubt it will make it this far east tho (MA)

It'll be a couple of Pacificos tonight.  Going to take my kids to a Mexican spot across the street from our 'hood.  The boy loves him some crinkle cut fries (yes, fries at a Mexican joint and no it's not Del Taco :lol: ) and the girl loves their quesadillas.

Me?  I'll be having the cheese enchilada with carnitas taco combo... mmmm.  Beer, meat and cheese... what could be better?

1 minute ago, nirad3 said:

It'll be a couple of Pacificos tonight.  Going to take my kids to a Mexican spot across the street from our 'hood.  The boy loves him some crinkle cut fries (yes, fries at a Mexican joint and no it's not Del Taco :lol: ) and the girl loves their quesadillas.

Me?  I'll be having the cheese enchilada with carnitas taco combo... mmmm.  Beer, meat and cheese... what could be better?

You’re in HB right? Las barcas?

• 2 weeks later...

I have been eying this beer for a few months and finally picked up a 4 pack, Founders Big Luscious Chocolate Raspberry Stout, pretty amazing. I love stouts and chocolate and raspberry are my two favorite flavors. Founders is one of the best breweries out there and this is a marriage made in heaven for me.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2020 at 9:42 PM, dmac37 said:

I have been eying this beer for a few months and finally picked up a 4 pack, Founders Big Luscious Chocolate Raspberry Stout, pretty amazing. I love stouts and chocolate and raspberry are my two favorite flavors. Founders is one of the best breweries out there and this is a marriage made in heaven for me.

Nice, they do a great job with stouts. I am enjoying their Maple Mackinac Fudge KBS right now. It's a massive dessert beer. Light on the barrel and heavy on the maple fudge and chocolate. 

• Like 1

Antimatter from Coppertail Brewing Company. It’s a classic Sour with a beautiful deep red color from Coppertail I’ve had in the refrigerator for a while corked up and finally drank it. Very smooth. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Civil Society Weapon of Choice

Halpatter Brewing Orange Punch Out Gose 

Founders KBS Mackinac Island Fudge

Halpatter is a very good small brewery located in the middle of nowhere.  They're in "downtown" Lake City which is near the I75 - I10 intersection in N.Florida.  I've never made it out there but their tasting room is supposedly very nice.

Edited by JaxBill
  • Like 2
On 11/14/2020 at 5:14 PM, Ilov80s said:

Nice, they do a great job with stouts. I am enjoying their Maple Mackinac Fudge KBS right now. It's a massive dessert beer. Light on the barrel and heavy on the maple fudge and chocolate. 

I'm usually skeptical of stouts that try to pile on flavors beyond coffee or bourbon, but that Maple Fudge KBS is pretty darn good. 

I missed out on Goose Island BCBS lottery, but between KBS, Deth's Tar, Hazels Nuts, last year BCBS, and Pollyanna Fun Size, I'm in a pretty happy spot on stouts for the winter. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Brony said:

I'm usually skeptical of stouts that try to pile on flavors beyond coffee or bourbon, but that Maple Fudge KBS is pretty darn good. 

I missed out on Goose Island BCBS lottery, but between KBS, Deth's Tar, Hazels Nuts, last year BCBS, and Pollyanna Fun Size, I'm in a pretty happy spot on stouts for the winter. 

I was able to score BCBS, #4, and London Fog, but came up empty on Birthday, Anniversary, and Caramella.  

23 minutes ago, Brony said:

Yeah I can’t drink nearly as many of them as I used to. They are just so damn strong and with covid, I’m not with friends as much to split them. I really like Hazels Nuts this year. So good.

18 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Yeah I can’t drink nearly as many of them as I used to. They are just so damn strong and with covid, I’m not with friends as much to split them. I really like Hazels Nuts this year. So good.

Exactly.  Sadly, I'm choosing these stouts based on can/bottle size.  A 12 oz is perfect for a bourbon aged stout.  I have several 20 to 32 oz bottles waiting for that occasion.  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Brony said:

Exactly.  Sadly, I'm choosing these stouts based on can/bottle size.  A 12 oz is perfect for a bourbon aged stout.  I have several 20 to 32 oz bottles waiting for that occasion.  

I see many more companies doing 12 oz cans. I wonder if thats part of the reason why. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2020 at 7:10 AM, JaxBill said:

Civil Society Weapon of Choice

Halpatter Brewing Orange Punch Out Gose 

Founders KBS Mackinac Island Fudge

Halpatter is a very good small brewery located in the middle of nowhere.  They're in "downtown" Lake City which is near the I75 - I10 intersection in N.Florida.  I've never made it out there but their tasting room is supposedly very nice.

Nice. Next trip to Alabama (early March) I'll stop by Halpatter and check them out.

I picked up a used kegerator yesterday and a sixtel of Calusa Zote (formerly Focus) IPA to break it in, so I've had about 10 pints since last night. One of the best IPAs in Florida IMO.

• Like 1
On 11/23/2020 at 2:04 PM, Brony said:

Crazy, I just was at my local grocery store yesterday and they had a case or so of bcbs sitting there. I grabbed a couple but definitely no urgency for them in nc.

10 hours ago, steelerfan1 said:

Crazy, I just was at my local grocery store yesterday and they had a case or so of bcbs sitting there. I grabbed a couple but definitely no urgency for them in nc.

Yep. I've seen the garden variety on shelves along with Surly Darkness and KBS. Nice that there are now lots of options out there 

• 1 month later...

I'm not drinking anything now (though I guess it is 5:00 somewhere), but I was thinking that I should take advantage of some breweries shipping stuff out-of-state while it lasts.  Anybody got any breweries that are pretty local that would be otherwise hard to get for me in VA now offering shipping to VA that you highly recommend?  Or know of good local breweries in general now doing it?  I was looking at some of the Vermont breweries, but it looks like VT does not allow VT breweries to ship their beer directly.

I was reading that Tired Hands in PA is shipping to VA.  Considering that one...

I'll share that Aslin Beer Company that I've posted about (located in Alexandria, VA, where I'm at) is now offering shipping to VA, VT, NH & PA.  

Edited by Don Quixote
  • Like 1

Over the winter I bought a collection of porters and stoudts.  I came away disappointed.  Didn't really find anything I loved.  And a few things I didn't like at all.  I came away from the experience with a craft beer fatigue feeling.  I decided I would give the craft beer a rest for a little bit and buy some Yuengling.  So I guess Yuengling is technically a craft beer, but they are kind of like an in-betweener.

I bought a 12 pack of Lager, Golden Pilsner, Black & Tan, and Porter.  The 2 beers that I hadn't had in forever impressed me.  I hadn't had Black & Tan or Porter in probably over 20 years.  Both were really good.  I feel like the Porter in particular was a standout.  It is a pretty straight forward Porter but it seemed like it had the slightest sweetness that smoothed it out a little bit.  It was good.

I also found the collection of beers as a whole to be really good.  Some days I was craving light and crisp.  Other days, full body.  With that lineup they had the whole range covered.  I feel like their lineup of beers compliment each other very well.

34 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

How is Yuengling considered craft?

From this article

Currently, Yuengling & Sons qualifies as a craft brewer according to the definition provided by the Brewers Association. The company is independent and produces less than 6 million barrels of beer per year.  ...In simplest terms, the Brewers Association defines a craft brewery as one that is small and independent.

• Thanks 1

Yuengling became eligible for “craft brewer” status in 2014 after the Brewers Association changed its definition of “adjunct grains”, such as corn, in early 2014 to be “traditional”, and therefore craft.

• Thanks 1