Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

What kind of beer is everyone drinking tonight?

KBS. Bourbon County, Decadence, Triple Perfection and gold medal winning homebrew. Pretty good night.

Anything good?

Actually we did a blind test on a '13 BCS vs '14 KBS and we all agreed on the BCS. We were rather surprised. Though give the KBS a year and we may change our opinion.

Regardless my GB is in 2 separate national finals for 2 different beers, he judges and is the VP of his homebrew club. Guy can get just about any beer he wants. He's a good friend to have ;)

KBS. Bourbon County, Decadence, Triple Perfection and gold medal winning homebrew. Pretty good night.

Anything good?

Actually we did a blind test on a '13 BCS vs '14 KBS and we all agreed on the BCS. We were rather surprised. Though give the KBS a year and we may change our opinion.

Regardless my GB is in 2 separate national finals for 2 different beers, he judges and is the VP of his homebrew club. Guy can get just about any beer he wants. He's a good friend to have ;)

I was kidding, I love all the beers you mentioned (minus the homebrew which I can only wish I was able to try). I agree that BCBS beats KBS, but it could vary by year and age. Love them both. Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1

Went to Dark Lord Day yesterday. It was 40 or so degrees, rainy and windy so did not expect much. Had Group E so got there later, around 5 or so. Kind of expected a #### show of drunkeness and I wasn't disappointed when I walked in and saw 2 people fall over within about 10 minutes. There were a few of those later too but there weren't too many people out of control. Well, relatively I guess.

Got a ZD at one of the beer tents and walked around. Line wasn't too bad and moved quickly. Got some Dark Matter/FFF goblets. Guy behind us in line at the glassware tent kept pulling out bottles of Pliny from his backpack and pretty much poured them out to everybody around him. Pretty cool.

It was near our allotment time so we walked around a bit more and found the guest taps. Nothing OMG whalezbro but they had a Surly Todd the Axman IPA. Had to try that, being a Surly fan. Didn't disappoint. Reminded me of ZD actually. No lines at all which was nice and they probably had 16-20 options.

Got in the allocation line which was really long but it was fun meeting a lot of people who shared beers nonstop. FFF tweeted out late in the afternoon that no open containers were allowed on or outside of the grounds so I only brought a few things in. (couple of Deep Ellum ipa's and a Vlad the Conquistador imperial stout from Hailstorm, a local brewery). Probably for legal reasons because it wasn't really enforced inside the event. Anyway, opened the Vlad and poured that out to people around me. Everybody thought it was really good (or at least pretended it was) and were kind of surprised. Had people looking up the place on their phones actually. Maybe next year I can bring something from Ocelot.

Again, line was long but moved quickly. Not even sure what I had but had a couple of sours and a BA barleywine. Neither of these are what I would say are my favorite styles but was really intrigued by both. That's all I need...to expand my beer palette even further.

Line took about an hour, maybe a little longer. Got inside the brewpub and got my allocation and got out. Didn't "win" the chance to drop $50 on a BA variant but that's ok. Didn't stick around much longer because I didn't want to get all messed up and wanted to watch the end of the Hawks game.

All said it was a better time than I expected and worth the considerable price of admission. Definitely want to do it again.

• Like 4

Hawks, what dates will you be in Orlando?

I'll get in sometime on 5/11 and fly out on 5/12. Only day I have an evening commitment is Weds and I have to be able to pick my wife up from the airport late Mon night.
Ummmm wat

Yeah early early morning...fly out on 5/15 lol.

I went to Avery's release party for their new Insula Multos Collibus cherry sour ale aged in bourbon barrels. It was quite delicious.

I also had Avery's Clockwork Stout with cardamom seeds, cocoa nibs, and orange zest; Lychee and Prickly Pear Bad Karma Belgian pale ale infused with lychee and prickly pear; and Ratman 10,000 strong ale blend of various barrel-aged beers.

business trip to Atlanta area...tried a few new (to me) beers at the bar

Jekyll Brewing - Hop Dang Diggity

Boulevard - The Calling

not too bad

:banned:

as I was walking out I realized the bar was adjacent to a nice looking liquor store so I grabbed a 22 of Ballast Point Victory at Sea. cant expense my dessert beer but at least I can drink it in the comfort of my hotel

At Cycle picking up 9 Crowlers/growlers of Crank and having one on draft while I wait...I wish they were all mine, but its my week to make the run, so only 3 are mine. I am taking some to Alabama with me Wed Night tho since there's absolutely nothing worthy available where I'm going.

Will be stopping by Proof and/or Swamp Head on the way/way back...depends on the time I make on the road.

2008 Pappy Van Winkle 23y FiftyFifty Eclipse. Bucket list beer for me. The 2011 Elijah Craig 18y remains the best Eclipse variant I've had but this was damn good

How much?

A few years ago one of our local stores got the FiftyFifty for the first time, a bunch of the variants. Priced them all at $30. 2-3 years later they were pretty much all still on the shelf. I'm sure they're all great, I've had tastings of a few, but I can't bring myself to drop $30 on just 1 bottle of beer.

2008 Pappy Van Winkle 23y FiftyFifty Eclipse. Bucket list beer for me. The 2011 Elijah Craig 18y remains the best Eclipse variant I've had but this was damn good

How much?

A few years ago one of our local stores got the FiftyFifty for the first time, a bunch of the variants. Priced them all at $30. 2-3 years later they were pretty much all still on the shelf. I'm sure they're all great, I've had tastings of a few, but I can't bring myself to drop $30 on just 1 bottle of beer.

Hundo. I don't think it was "worth" it, but I've wanted to try that beer for a long time and it goes for a lot more than 100 in resale/trade market so splurged. It was damn good. I do agree that the eclipse variants are expensive in general but they are very good and fun to taste the different barrel characters.

I had a good run of beers yesterday out drinking in Denver with a friend from out-of-town:

Russian River Pliny the Elder

Comrade Superpower IPA

Elevation Apis IV quad brewed with honey

Epic Big Bad Baptist imperial stout

Platte Park Tropical Snow Dance IPA (single hop Mosaic IPA)

The Bruery Or Xata horchata blonde ale with rice, cinnamon, vanilla beans, and lactose

Crank and crab claws in Alabama.

Hanging with Jameis?

Crab claws, not legs...lol...and ironically, hes in Tampa right now.

Trying to figure out if Ill be able to stop into Proof and/or Swamp Head tomorrow on the way home...Im making a pit stop at a killer seafood market in PCola for some Royal Red shrimp (steamed for lunch and raw to take home), and Im not sure how much time its gonna add to my trip...Proof doesnt have their taplist on the website for some stupid reason...Ill probably stop in anyway, theyre bound to have something worth checking out.

Edited by Wingnut

The Lacto Cherry Grove has so much more fruit now than it did a month ago when it was fresh....its as good as Wicked Weeds Oblivion/Black Angel. Seriously.

Now smashing a Crank Crowler.

Edited by Wingnut

I live in bum #### desert land currently and have limited access to good beer. Scanning through this thread I feel like you guys are speaking a foreign language, or you are just making #### up. I can't wait to get back to civilization and find some of these beers. In the meantime I get to console myself with a four pack of Cumbre Elevated IPA (canned on Monday, damn good)

Edited by chauncey

Are these available in Charlotte or did you get them out west?

How did the bachelor party go? Is there a write up somewhere around here?

Went to Brew Hub and had a Brewers Choice IPA (delicious, probably the best beer BH has brewed so far), a Toppling Goliath Golden Nugget IPA (damn good), and a CCB Guayabera APA (top notch).

About to crack a Crowler of Crank.

Edited by Wingnut

I live in bum #### desert land currently and have limited access to good beer. Scanning through this thread I feel like you guys are speaking a foreign language, or you are just making #### up. I can't wait to get back to civilization and find some of these beers. In the meantime I get to console myself with a four pack of Cumbre Elevated IPA (canned on Monday, damn good)

Everything I've had from Cumbre is awesome. You are doing just fine drinking that stiff, and there are just as many people who haven't heard of them as the many breweries in here you never heard of. The craft beer movement is giving every local town what it use to have a long long time ago: it's own local breweries. No need to make enough for the rest of the world. Just enough for your community.

Edited by Sebowski

Went to Brew Hub and had a Brewers Choice IPA (delicious, probably the best beer BH has brewed so far), a Toppling Goliath Golden Nugget IPA (damn good), and a CCB Guayabera APA (top notch).

I'm still figuring out this Facebook/business/casual/official stuff...

LOL @ your comment on the Ocelot page about me influencing the new black IPA (Soft Lies) recipe because it has Nelson hops. I did and I didn't influence that depending on who you ask. I actually don't really like black IPAs much at all. My brother, the brewer, loves them though so he really wanted to brew one. People like them, so I was totally fine with making it. At one point though I told him "as long as you don't waste any Nelson hops on it". I immediately regretted saying that because I knew right away he would do exactly just that just to spite me (as brothers do). He still denies that's why he used them. He's ####### lying. Either way, the beer turned out awesome. One of those black IPAs that are black in mostly just color with some nice complexity mixed in. No real roastiness to it, which I hate in black IPAs. Been mostly a hit so far, though there are some criticisms about it lacking roast or malt, which I take to as a compliment like the comments on our IPAs that say needs to be more balanced or doesn't have enough malt. Different strokes and all...

I'm with you on black ipas, not usually a fan, but a low malt character black ipa with nelson sounds really interesting. Can't wait to try some of these beers one day.

I'm still figuring out this Facebook/business/casual/official stuff...

LOL @ your comment on the Ocelot page about me influencing the new black IPA (Soft Lies) recipe because it has Nelson hops. I did and I didn't influence that depending on who you ask. I actually don't really like black IPAs much at all. My brother, the brewer, loves them though so he really wanted to brew one. People like them, so I was totally fine with making it. At one point though I told him "as long as you don't waste any Nelson hops on it". I immediately regretted saying that because I knew right away he would do exactly just that just to spite me (as brothers do). He still denies that's why he used them. He's ####### lying. Either way, the beer turned out awesome. One of those black IPAs that are black in mostly just color with some nice complexity mixed in. No real roastiness to it, which I hate in black IPAs. Been mostly a hit so far, though there are some criticisms about it lacking roast or malt, which I take to as a compliment like the comments on our IPAs that say needs to be more balanced or doesn't have enough malt. Different strokes and all...

:lmao:

I wondered if you'd see that comment...not a lot of east coast beers feature Nelson so I figured you may have had a hand in it...and good on ya, whether or not it was intentional...the east coast needs more Nelson...Lol. I agree on Black IPAs, I'm not really a fan, but when Nelson and Galaxy are involved, it cant be a bad thing...and people saying an IPA needs more malt means it was made right, IMO...malt is for DIPAs, no room for it in IPAs.

Let me know when y'all start growlering, I'd love to taste those beers!

Edited by Wingnut

Are these available in Charlotte or did you get them out west?

How did the bachelor party go? Is there a write up somewhere around here?

Can't get 50/50 here, this was in San Fran. This is a whale of a beer but current 50/50 releases are very obtainable anywhere in the west. They are expensive usually though 20-35 bucks.

Which bachelor party?

Sebowski, I was at a local bottle shop (Salud) in Charlotte last night that has like 8 taps. They were doing an event to celebrate that they now have food. Lo and behold some dude walks in with an Ocelot shirt on. He's friends with the manager I guess but knew your brother too. I had an Ocelot sticker with me to put up in the bottle shop. Too funny

• Like 1

Picked up 2 bombers of A Beer Named Sue earlier...its a collab with Cigar City, Cycle, 7venth Sun and J Wakefield: a lacto sour Florida Weiss brewed with Prickly Pear....gonna sit on em for a bit. They were only sold via prepaid online tickets, 2 bottles per person.

Also picked up a bottle of Jolly Ollie IPA to drink with Hawks when he's in town.

:banned:

Edited by Wingnut