What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What kind of beer is everyone drinking tonight? (3 Viewers)

I just looked up that Buckle Down Belt & Suspenders yesterday, I heard it was good.

Do any of you Chicago guys ever see the Destihl Wild Sour series cans? Theyre out of Bloomington.
Never looked for it, but I know a couple of guys down in that area of IL. Might be able to find it somehow.
I bought some when I was in Indianapolis in May....not that that helps.
It only helps if you ship it down here...then it helps plenty. :P

I just looked up that Buckle Down Belt & Suspenders yesterday, I heard it was good.

Do any of you Chicago guys ever see the Destihl Wild Sour series cans? Theyre out of Bloomington.
Never looked for it, but I know a couple of guys down in that area of IL. Might be able to find it somehow.
Its not high on my list, if you ever happen across some, remember your sour loving buddy in FL. :banned:

So Dorado not so good. Very very malty, has a hop character that I can't quite place. Glad it only cost me 10.00.

Whoever was the Buffalo guy asking about Southern Tier Choklat Oranj, they definitely have it at the Wegmans on Amherst St. 100%.
how are these ST? couldn't pull the trigger on picking some up and went with chocolate yetis instead.
I've never had it. Can't recall the last time I bought a Southern Tier even though they're relatively local, ~60-90 minutes south of here. I just know someone was asking about it and I saw it on the shelf again tonight.
ok, thanks

Whoever was the Buffalo guy asking about Southern Tier Choklat Oranj, they definitely have it at the Wegmans on Amherst St. 100%.
how are these ST? couldn't pull the trigger on picking some up and went with chocolate yetis instead.
I've never had it. Can't recall the last time I bought a Southern Tier even though they're relatively local, ~60-90 minutes south of here. I just know someone was asking about it and I saw it on the shelf again tonight.
I thought the Choklat Oranj was interesting. I just had a small pour of it at a tasting event, but I enjoyed it. The orange character came through a lot more prominently than I was expecting. It reminded me of those foil-wrapped chocolate-covered oranges that you get at Christmas time. It's been getting good reviews on Beer Advocate.

Its not high on my list, if you ever happen across some, remember your sour loving buddy in FL. :banned:
I have seen it around so someone in Chicago should probably be able to get it. If not, I can try to grab some if I go down to Peoria for client visits.

I thought the Choklat Oranj was interesting. I just had a small pour of it at a tasting event, but I enjoyed it. The orange character came through a lot more prominently than I was expecting. It reminded me of those foil-wrapped chocolate-covered oranges that you get at Christmas time. It's been getting good reviews on Beer Advocate.
thanks buck,

was afraid it would be super sweet which I'm not a fan of. may have to give it a shot after all. thanks.

According to me beer shop's app, they have three of them.

Deschutes Pinedrops IPA

Mikkeller Cocoa Shake imperial oatmeal stout with chocolate

The Cocoa Shake was perhaps the most chocolaty beer that I've ever had. Its name is very fitting -- it's packed full of rich, decadent flavors of dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and cocoa powder. I thought it was really smooth for a 12% ABV beer.

I also really liked the Mikkeller Brunch Weasel, which has a similar imperial oatmeal stout base beer as the Cocoa Shake, but is infused with civet coffee beans -- coffee beans that have been eaten by an Indonesian weasel-cat, partially digested, and then pooped out and collected for human consumption. Pretty weird concept, but it tastes far better than you could ever imagine a weasel-cat poop-infused beer to taste.

thanks buck,was afraid it would be super sweet which I'm not a fan of. may have to give it a shot after all. thanks.
Have you had the other similar ST beers like Mokah or Chokolat? I like them a lot, but they are pretty sweet.

I've always felt that Choklat was ST's best beer. I've just never been a huge fan of orange chocolate in general, like the foil-wrapped ones you're referring to.

Have you had the other similar ST beers like Mokah or Chokolat? I like them a lot, but they are pretty sweet.
I've always heard it speculated that Southern Tier uses sugar in their beer, and I agree that their bomber offerings are always sweet. I remember when they released Farmer's Tan in 2010, their now infamous 9% "Pale Lager". It was just absurdly sweet for the style. Around the time they started really expanding their lineup in ~2010-ish, their beers started becoming increasingly sweet as they expanded distribution.

Also, unless things have changed recently, Mokah is just a blend of Choklat and Javah. I've never really been a big fan of Javah (and, by extension, Mokah), but Choklat itself has always been great. YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another Strawberry Shorts Cake. It's a lot better on tap than the bottles I have had. Weird. A lot more of the strawberry and especially milk sugars coming through.

Knee Deep Hoptologist DIPA. Good, not great. Was hoping for some of their other beers, which were listed on the beer shop's site, but I guess they sold out.

I will see that for a 9% beer, it is pretty clean and not overly sweet or with a syrupy mouth feel. Interested in trying their other double and triple IPAs.
I've had their Simtra Triple IPA (11.25%), and it was one of the best high ABV IPAs I've had. Super hoppy and not too malty. Dangerous drinkability for 11+%.
Knee Deep Lupulin River bomber. This is really nice. Great bitterness and with lots of grapefruit notes. Loving it.

Was able to get the Simtra also, but after already having a bomber of 75 minute IPA, will probably tap out for the night.
bomber of Knee Deep Midnight Hoppyness. This is an Imperial Black IPA, I guess. Great hop character for a black IPA. I don't love a lot of black IPAs, but this is pretty nice and really drinkable for 9.5 ABV. These guys definitely seem to know what they are doing with hops.
Simtra. Wow. This is the best triple IPA I've ever had. Dangerous drinkability for 11+%. indeed.

I don't know how these guys keep these beers from getting too sweet and syrupy.
:thumbup:
Knee deep's founder and head brewer is leaving to start a new venture: http://www.sacbee.com/food-drink/beer/beer-run/article26896408.html

Underdogs All or Nothing Hopfenweisse

Amsterdam Oranje Weisse

Ontario stuff that likely means nothing to anyone reading this. I had a Rodenbach Grand Cru last night, very different.

I've always heard it speculated that Southern Tier uses sugar in their beer, and I agree that their bomber offerings are always sweet. I remember when they released Farmer's Tan in 2010, their now infamous 9% "Pale Lager". It was just absurdly sweet for the style. Around the time they started really expanding their lineup in ~2010-ish, their beers started becoming increasingly sweet as they expanded distribution.

Also, unless things have changed recently, Mokah is just a blend of Choklat and Javah. I've never really been a big fan of Javah (and, by extension, Mokah), but Choklat itself has always been great. YMMV.
thanks ilov80s. I know since I'm a fbg it means I pull down a million plus a year but it gets annoying dishing out 8-10 bucks a whack on something you take a sip of and throw out. the sugar/sweet comments here are enough to keep me away. thanks again.

Always a good day when you go to the beer store for a regular IPA and they have a random amazing beer. Just a 4 pack of Sunday Morning Stout. The owner said he got 2 four packs this week as gifts from the distributor. Awesome.

Amsterdam Oranje Weisse

Ontario stuff that likely means nothing to anyone reading this. I had a Rodenbach Grand Cru last night, very different.
Amsterdam is alright. Don't know Underdogs.

I'm a little out of the loop on Ontario stuff but have always enjoyed Mill St. beers. And I've been known to belly-up to the Imperial Pub in downtown TO with a pitcher of Steam Whistle. Underrated beer, IMO.

We have started seeing Great Lakes (Ontario) stuff here in the past 6 months or so.

Amsterdam Oranje Weisse

Amsterdam is alright. Don't know Underdogs.I'm a little out of the loop on Ontario stuff but have always enjoyed Mill St. beers. And I've been known to belly-up to the Imperial Pub in downtown TO with a pitcher of Steam Whistle. Underrated beer, IMO.

We have started seeing Great Lakes (Ontario) stuff here in the past 6 months or so.
Funny, never heard of Mill St. but when I was getting beer today, they were doing a tasting. I had a nitro vanilla porter. It was pretty good, but not good enough to buy. Any standouts from them?

Amsterdam Oranje Weisse

Amsterdam is alright. Don't know Underdogs.I'm a little out of the loop on Ontario stuff but have always enjoyed Mill St. beers. And I've been known to belly-up to the Imperial Pub in downtown TO with a pitcher of Steam Whistle. Underrated beer, IMO.
Love Steamwhistle, great pilsner, my go to if I've having a bunch.

Amsterdam Oranje Weisse

Funny, never heard of Mill St. but when I was getting beer today, they were doing a tasting. I had a nitro vanilla porter. It was pretty good, but not good enough to buy. Any standouts from them?
They are one of the biggest Craft brewers up here, I like the Cobblestone Stout, their organic lager is their most popular but its just OK, IMO.

Amsterdam Oranje Weisse

They are one of the biggest Craft brewers up here, I like the Cobblestone Stout, their organic lager is their most popular but its just OK, IMO.
They didn't have the stout to try. They did have the organic lager, but that style doesn't appeal to me. In my trips to Canada, I've been disappointed with the beer. Maybe it's getting better though.

Amsterdam Oranje Weisse

They didn't have the stout to try. They did have the organic lager, but that style doesn't appeal to me. In my trips to Canada, I've been disappointed with the beer. Maybe it's getting better though.
Like everything else, it depends where you go and what you have. There are probably 200 new Craft brewers in the last 5 years in Ontario alone. Some are good, some aren't. If you like hoppy pale ales, BC apparently leads the way.

I went here about a month ago and had some of the best beer I've ever had anywhere - Dieu Du Ciel (Montreal) http://dieuduciel.com/en/home.php - they have quite a few of the best rated Canadian beers on untappd, of course, they aren't widely available where I live.

Mrs. Karpis keeps sending me pics of her spring in a cabana drinking fruity drinks, so I'm working on 6-er of Sam Adams Light....boring, I know. But it'll do.

Always a good day when you go to the beer store for a regular IPA and they have a random amazing beer. Just a 4 pack of Sunday Morning Stout. The owner said he got 2 four packs this week as gifts from the distributor. Awesome.
I love that Sunday Morning Stout.

Amsterdam Oranje Weisse

Like everything else, it depends where you go and what you have. There are probably 200 new Craft brewers in the last 5 years in Ontario alone. Some are good, some aren't. If you like hoppy pale ales, BC apparently leads the way.I went here about a month ago and had some of the best beer I've ever had anywhere - Dieu Du Ciel (Montreal) http://dieuduciel.com/en/home.php - they have quite a few of the best rated Canadian beers on untappd, of course, they aren't widely available where I live.
That's cool. It's been s couple years since I've been to Canada. It's cool to hear the craft beer scene is growing there. About 5 years ago I went and the beer store only had the basic mass produced Canadian beers and it sucked. I was surprised their wasn't a craft beer available considering how much they love beer up there. I know Canada has weird laws on where beer can be purchased. Are the craft breweries available in most beer stores or do you have to go to the bar/brewery?

In Ontario, you go to the liquor store for craft beer (or the breweries). The beer store acts like its govt owned but is actually owned jointly by ABInbev, MolsonCoors and Sapporo (Sleeman), which is why the beer selection their is such a joke.

In Ontario, you go to the liquor store for craft beer (or the breweries). The beer store acts like its govt owned but is actually owned jointly by ABInbev, MolsonCoors and Sapporo (Sleeman), which is why the beer selection their is such a joke.
Good to know. Thank you!

My understanding is that Toronto (and GTA) beers have been getting substantially better in the past few years, but it's been probably 2 years since I've really been there for more than a few hours.

I like Tankhouse, probably my favorite of theirs. That said, I would buy any number of Michigan beers over Mill Street beers, so it probably won't stand up to Bells, Founders, Dark Horse, Shorts, etc.

That's cool. It's been s couple years since I've been to Canada. It's cool to hear the craft beer scene is growing there. About 5 years ago I went and the beer store only had the basic mass produced Canadian beers and it sucked.
DON'T YOU DARE BASH RICKARD'S AND MOOSEHEAD AND ALEXANDER KEITH'S.

Actually Alexander Keith's does kinds suck.

That's cool. It's been s couple years since I've been to Canada. It's cool to hear the craft beer scene is growing there. About 5 years ago I went and the beer store only had the basic mass produced Canadian beers and it sucked.
DON'T YOU DARE BASH RICKARD'S AND MOOSEHEAD AND ALEXANDER KEITH'S.Actually Alexander Keith's does kinds suck.
Ha I was trying to think of the one beer that I bought and absolutely hated. It was Alexander Keith's. Swill.

DON'T YOU DARE BASH RICKARD'S AND MOOSEHEAD AND ALEXANDER KEITH'S.Actually Alexander Keith's does kinds suck.
Ha I was trying to think of the one beer that I bought and absolutely hated. It was Alexander Keith's. Swill.
As of 3-4 years ago they used to sell it as a premium beer at Blue Jays games. I'll just stick with Molson/Blue, thanks.

Congress Street IPA. Another insanely delicious beer from Trillium. These guys are just on another level.

Users who are viewing this thread