What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What kind of beer is everyone drinking tonight? (2 Viewers)

Fan of the Kona. Haven't had it in awhile. Might have to revisit an old friend. 
Yeah, the Kona was fantastic. Strangely thin for a porter. Had the consistency and lack of head, like pouring a coca-cola ... but the flavor was fantastic and it wasn't filling like the thicker brews. I could have easily had several if I weren't sampling all the others. 

@Sebowski, I'm coming out to San Diego in mid-May for a beer vacation, and I'm trying to figure out what part of town I should stay in for easy access to some good breweries, brewpubs, and restaurants in town.  If I stay in Ocean Beach, it looks like I could easily hit Stone - Liberty Station, Pizza Port Ocean Beach, and Modern Times.  Or should I stay closer to the Gaslamp district or another part of town?  

I'm planning on driving up to Solana Beach one day for an Aesop Rock show and hitting Pizza Port Solana Beach, Lost Abbey: Confessional, Culture, and Toolbox the next day.  

Any SD recommendations are much appreciated! 

Angry Chair Mojito Gose. Really good beer. Almost zero mint (aside from the slightest hint in the nose), which is a good thing for my palate. Not so good based on the name. But delicious nonetheless.

@Sebowski, I'm coming out to San Diego in mid-May for a beer vacation, and I'm trying to figure out what part of town I should stay in for easy access to some good breweries, brewpubs, and restaurants in town.  If I stay in Ocean Beach, it looks like I could easily hit Stone - Liberty Station, Pizza Port Ocean Beach, and Modern Times.  Or should I stay closer to the Gaslamp district or another part of town?  

I'm planning on driving up to Solana Beach one day for an Aesop Rock show and hitting Pizza Port Solana Beach, Lost Abbey: Confessional, Culture, and Toolbox the next day.  

Any SD recommendations are much appreciated! 

Awesome. Can't wait to grab some beers with you. I'm very partial to my home of OB. It has a ton of walkable options for beer and food, plus close to everything else except North County stuff. A lot of beer people end up staying in North Park. The preferred hotel there is Lafayette. Close to Toronado and a couple breweries. More urban a neighborhood than my beach town. You live urban. Vacation at the beach, imo. Check out OB Hotel. Steps from the water. OB has a couple satellite tasting rooms now too: Mike Hess and Culture. There are also two more in planning (Helms and Belching Beaver), with rumors of a 3rd. Oh and OB Brewing might be open by then. Actually should be. 

Obviously hit me up whenever if I can help at all and when you have the dates booked. 

Awesome. Can't wait to grab some beers with you. I'm very partial to my home of OB. It has a ton of walkable options for beer and food, plus close to everything else except North County stuff. A lot of beer people end up staying in North Park. The preferred hotel there is Lafayette. Close to Toronado and a couple breweries. More urban a neighborhood than my beach town. You live urban. Vacation at the beach, imo. Check out OB Hotel. Steps from the water. OB has a couple satellite tasting rooms now too: Mike Hess and Culture. There are also two more in planning (Helms and Belching Beaver), with rumors of a 3rd. Oh and OB Brewing might be open by then. Actually should be. 

Obviously hit me up whenever if I can help at all and when you have the dates booked. 
 Sweet!  I didn't realize you lived in OB.  That's where I was leaning based on my research so far.  I definitely want to get some beach time in.  I'll be out there from May 12-15.  I'd love to grab some beers.  

AC Units replaced. Check.

Well Pump replaced. Check.

Fence repairs. Check.

12 year old car starting to poop the bed. Check.

New roof coming due next year. Check.

Think I see a lot of Dragon's Milk and Guinness in my future....

That's awesome. I have a very limited window between work and a social appointment but i really want to go get some of this. And Powder Blue. Damn...need to work this out. 

Also, Surly Xtra Citra is out and about in the Chicago area now. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13014/212431/
Is it as good as Todd? I really hate spending the coin on Surly, it's always 16-19 a 4 pack, unless it's as good as Todd. Even cut way back on Abrasive this year as well.

Is it as good as Todd? I really hate spending the coin on Surly, it's always 16-19 a 4 pack, unless it's as good as Todd. Even cut way back on Abrasive this year as well.
Haven't seen the price yet but yeah, the "special releases" are a little ridiculous.  I thought about that yesterday in line when I was paying for more Todd. The normal stuff like Overrated or Furious is $9.99 or $10.99 which is fine. 

I doubt it will be as good as Todd but I would expect the price point to be 9.99 or so since it's a low ABV beer. 

And I like Abrasive a lot. In case you cared. 

Haven't seen the price yet but yeah, the "special releases" are a little ridiculous.  I thought about that yesterday in line when I was paying for more Todd. The normal stuff like Overrated or Furious is $9.99 or $10.99 which is fine. 

I doubt it will be as good as Todd but I would expect the price point to be 9.99 or so since it's a low ABV beer. 

And I like Abrasive a lot. In case you cared. 
Man even the regular stuff is like 14 by me, Abrasive and Todd are both 19. If this is 10 I'm ok with that and would give it a try. And I like Abrasive a lot as well but is it worth that much more than what Half Acre costs? Not sure, which is why I cut back on it this year.

Man even the regular stuff is like 14 by me, Abrasive and Todd are both 19. If this is 10 I'm ok with that and would give it a try. And I like Abrasive a lot as well but is it worth that much more than what Half Acre costs? Not sure, which is why I cut back on it this year.
Can't argue with any of that. I get Todd and Abrasive for $16.99. Not a huge difference but the $2 for some reason feels excessive psychologically. The only one that costs more than $9.99 or $10.99 is Coffee Bender and that's $13.99 pretty much everywhere by me. 

All of this typing is making me thirsty...

Can't argue with any of that. I get Todd and Abrasive for $16.99. Not a huge difference but the $2 for some reason feels excessive psychologically. The only one that costs more than $9.99 or $10.99 is Coffee Bender and that's $13.99 pretty much everywhere by me. 

All of this typing is making me thirsty...
Getting ready to crack my third Duet as we type :suds:

Oh yeah. Most places sell Alpine around here for 13.99 a sixer. Local dive store has them for 9.99 so I have decided they deserve more of my money. 

As of 3-4 years ago they used to sell it as a premium beer at Blue Jays games. I'll just stick with Molson/Blue, thanks.
Hoping with Labatt buying Mill St, there will be better options this year. Last year they had like 40 beers, all AB Inbev, except for one incredibly random Ontario Craft Beer - Hockley Dark. One craft beer for a baseball game and it's a dark ale?  They had one booth (out of like 100) that had draft Goose Island Honkers and IPA that I usually searched for.

Getting back briefly to this Ontario craft discussion from a year ago, I've read something from a couple different critics that says Ontario is really starting to lead the way in classic styles. New breweries are launching with Oatmeal Stout (for example) or English Pale Ale's as their flagship beer. I know there are a number of great new bitters and nut brown and dark ale's on the market and even hoppy pilsener's are seeing a renewed popularity. More and more breweries looking to traditional European styles for inspiration. This was making the case that in terms of high IBU IPA's and American style Pale Ale's, Ontario may still be behind (Great Lakes Canada has made massive strides in this area) but the strength of the market is here is the quality and depth/breadth of classic style's - which seems about right to me based on my fairly limited experience with US craft beer.

Great Lakes is a very solid Canadian brewery.  I always like when I see their stuff on tap around here, it's usually a pretty good product.  It can be kinda confusing when the place has a US Great Lakes beer on tap too....most people don't realize that they are 2 different breweries.

So we are planning our road trip out to California in June. The plan is to route through Denver and Salt Lake City and we will be staying in Livermoore, CA area. What breweries should I hit along the way? Russian River is on the list as a day trip once we are out there but not sure where else to stop on the way out.

So we are planning our road trip out to California in June. The plan is to route through Denver and Salt Lake City and we will be staying in Livermoore, CA area. What breweries should I hit along the way? Russian River is on the list as a day trip once we are out there but not sure where else to stop on the way out.
If you're going to Russian River, might as well hit up Lagunitas and Bear Republic.  Actually, do Russian River in Santa Rosa, Beer Craft in Rohnert Park (it's a tasting room and rare/hard-to-find bottles store), and then, end your day at Lagunitas (lay out on the grass with a plate of pulled pork nachos). 

If you're going to Russian River, might as well hit up Lagunitas and Bear Republic.  Actually, do Russian River in Santa Rosa, Beer Craft in Rohnert Park (it's a tasting room and rare/hard-to-find bottles store), and then, end your day at Lagunitas (lay out on the grass with a plate of pulled pork nachos). 
:thumbup:

Hawks64 said:
What is in Livermore? 

Family is out there.
Gotcha. I spent a week in Healdsburg last summer. It was as much a wine trip as a beer trip, but went to Russian River (awesome, highly recommend) Left with cases of Pliny, Bling Pig, etc. Bear Republic is in Healdsburg and is a cool place, but there beer isn't worth totally going out of your way for. The better place was Healdsburg Bar and Grille. Their beer menu was awesome includes a whole bunch of Fifty Fifty Eclipse barrel aged beers which are awesome and Firestone XVII which might be the best I have ever had. Plus, the burgers are great, the chef won Top Chef Masters and graduated from the same high school as me. Healdsburg is probably 2 hours from Livermore. Santa Rose is maybe 90 minutes. It could be a fun day trip. Plus, if you are into wine that Russian River Valley is world class. 

Gotcha. I spent a week in Healdsburg last summer. It was as much a wine trip as a beer trip, but went to Russian River (awesome, highly recommend) Left with cases of Pliny, Bling Pig, etc. Bear Republic is in Healdsburg and is a cool place, but there beer isn't worth totally going out of your way for. The better place was Healdsburg Bar and Grille. Their beer menu was awesome includes a whole bunch of Fifty Fifty Eclipse barrel aged beers which are awesome and Firestone XVII which might be the best I have ever had. Plus, the burgers are great, the chef won Top Chef Masters and graduated from the same high school as me. Healdsburg is probably 2 hours from Livermore. Santa Rose is maybe 90 minutes. It could be a fun day trip. Plus, if you are into wine that Russian River Valley is world class. 
Agreed completely. I know this is the beer thread but Sonoma is pretty cool and a quick trip to Napa. And to get us back on track, RR is a definite.  

Agreed completely. I know this is the beer thread but Sonoma is pretty cool and a quick trip to Napa. And to get us back on track, RR is a definite.  
RR is a 10000% sure thing. I'm looking for some CO recommendations on the way there and back and if there is anything that isn't too far off the beaten path on the way to or from.

Checked out Cage brewing in St Pete last night, had a flight and a couple pints...a couple of good beers but nothing special.

Also had Double Daisy Cutter, Orange Belt/Brewski Cherry Electric Boots Berliner, Rapp Gose, and Orange Belt WHALEZ, a sauv blanc barrel aged sour blonde. All delicious.

Laugintas Aunt Sally is excellent. It's a pseudo sour, really tart but not sour, and is dry hopped. For 11 bucks a six pack it's a steal IMO.

Last night:

• Community Beer Works Whiskey Barrel Snow (imperial stout)
  • Singlecut Brett Jan
  • Lost Nation Rustic Ale
  • Community Beer Works Frank x2 (pale ale)
Tonight:

• Sloop Galaxy Farm Saison
  • De Ranke Hop Harvest
  • Wagner Valley Hop Tropic IPA
  • Ballast Point Pineapple Sculpin

That Wagner Valley beer was a very pleasant surprise.  Riff on the NE "milkshake" IPAs that are getting big now.  I know it's blasphemy to some beer folk because the beers are "unfinished" but I like the style a lot.  Pretty good beer.  I can't remember the last time I had a Wagner Valley beer, at least a year now.

Last night:

• Community Beer Works Whiskey Barrel Snow (imperial stout)
  • Singlecut Brett Jan
  • Lost Nation Rustic Ale
  • Community Beer Works Frank x2 (pale ale)
Tonight:

• Sloop Galaxy Farm Saison
  • De Ranke Hop Harvest
  • Wagner Valley Hop Tropic IPA
  • Ballast Point Pineapple Sculpin

That Wagner Valley beer was a very pleasant surprise.  Riff on the NE "milkshake" IPAs that are getting big now.  I know it's blasphemy to some beer folk because the beers are "unfinished" but I like the style a lot.  Pretty good beer.  I can't remember the last time I had a Wagner Valley beer, at least a year now.
Those New England style beers are amazing and I actually prefer them to any other IPA stye. Maybe it's just the "newness" of it and the fact they are almost impossible to find in Michigan. 

In a rare move, I had a few IPAs tonight:

Green Flash Passion Fruit White IPA (list said 7.7 ABV, but it drinks a lot lighter and cleaner than that)

Rivertowne IPA (too malty)

Levante Chief IPA (this is a pretty new brewery in West Chester, PA.  Pretty good beer.)

2SP Bellcrack IIPA (I think I've had this before, ok, not the best.  This is a pretty new brewery in Delaware County PA, which overall has been good when I've been there).

Lagunitas Citrusinensis - It's a good one

Users who are viewing this thread