Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

What kind of beer is everyone drinking tonight?

My mom is flying in from Michigan in the morning until Monday afternoon, so I have to slow down a bit while she's here...Ill still drink beer, but I won't be going all out til bedtime. Lol.

But yeah, I've been looking forward to these, and wanna drink em as fresh as possible.

Having a Duet now, final beer of the night (gotta head to the airport in the morning). Another really friggin good beer. I hope Alpine makes it down here soon, a few places have Green Flash on tap but I haven't seen any bottles yet...that's gotta change if they're distributing kegs here, right?

You guys don't get Green Flash bottles? That tells me it is a pretty low priority account. Not a good sign for Alpine. They will probably ramp you up when their Virginia brewery gets up and running.

Brouwerij Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge Flemish Sour. Date reads 21 13...not sure what that means exactly. 2013 I'd guess, maybe from Sebowskis cellar?

I love sours, and I Love. This. Beer. So complex, so good. Raisins, dates, dark fruit (cherry, raspberry, etc), vinegar, oak...damn. One of the best sours I've ever had. About perfect.

Dammit, Sebowski...I feel like I need to send you more beer to even things out...this beer is flat out amazing.

That's the best sour beer I've ever had. Luckily, its widely available in Michigan.
As I drink it, I'm thinking its probably the best sour I've had as well. Sooooo f'n good. If you're down, I'll put you next in the trade queue...probably Mid to late April...and I'd require 3 of these if you could swing it...I'd love to sit on a couple for a while.
For sure. Just let me know.

HTH can you guys drink all of those IPAs back-to-back-to-back? One's fine. But good god they do suck :X

Keep at it. You'll get it. :thumbup:

Nope. :yucky:

MAKE YOUR TIME

I started drinking IPAs in the 80s in Chico. I had a summer job at Sierra Nevada in their early days. IPAs in large part are bitter bleh. American fascination with the style doesn't validate it. American bad taste is common. I believe the over the top hops were added to use the acidity as a preservative. Down with preservatives and down with bitter. Sours that use the right malts are fantastic. Bitter is rarely good. :2cents:

Then you're not drinking the right IPAs.

HTH can you guys drink all of those IPAs back-to-back-to-back? One's fine. But good god they do suck :X

Keep at it. You'll get it. :thumbup:

Nope. :yucky:

MAKE YOUR TIME

I started drinking IPAs in the 80s in Chico. I had a summer job at Sierra Nevada in their early days. IPAs in large part are bitter bleh. American fascination with the style doesn't validate it. American bad taste is common. I believe the over the top hops were added to use the acidity as a preservative. Down with preservatives and down with bitter. Sours that use the right malts are fantastic. Bitter is rarely good. :2cents:

Then you're not drinking the right IPAs.

Like what? I drink a west coast premium crafted pretty much every week. One is fine, after all.

Colorado Craft Beer Week has been pretty good to me so far (aside from the pretty brutal hangover I'm feeling right now while "working" from home). I have had so many interesting and delicious beers this week.

Last night, I went to the Fuss Off! Festival, which was held at the opera house in Denver. They only sold 175 tickets to the festival, so it was incredibly small and intimate with all of the brewers with no lines for beer. As one brewer said, it felt more like a large bottle share than a beer festival. Some of the highlights included:

- Horse and Dragon rum barrel-aged coconut imperial porter

- Elevation Raspberry Gulch imperial saison with raspberries

- Avery Uncle Jacob's Stout bourbon barrel-aged imperial stout

- Avery Einzigartig wild ale brewed with Riesling grape must aged in Cabernet Sauvignon barrels

- Avery Antonius' Carmen sour ale aged in Madiera wine barrels

- Crooked Stave Nightmare on Brett dark sour ale aged in port barrels

- Broken Compass Coconut Porter

- Telluride/Sweetwater smoked imperial porter infused with hop hash

- Platt Park Tropical Snow Dance IPA brewed with all mosiac hops

- Odell Brazzle Sour Golden Raspberry wild ale

Collaboration Fest was also really cool this past Saturday. It was held in the club level of Mile High Stadium. There were 75+ never-before-released collaboratoin beers which were all brewed just for the festival. Some of the highlights included:

- Avery/Powder Keg blended sour ale - 50% Powder Keg Rouge farmhouse ale brewed with citrus, hibiscus, lacto, Brett aged in Cabernet wine barrels, 25% Avery Manhatten Sour aged in bourbon barrels, 25% Avery Bad Karma Belgian pale ale aged in neutral wine barrels

- TRVE/The Bruery BRVE witbier with Brett, orange peel, and coriander aged in white wine barrels

- Summity County (Bakers', Breckenridge, Backcountry, Dillon Dam, Broken Compass, Pug Ryan's) barleywine aged in bourbon barrels

- Station 26/Cigar City white IPA brewed with wheat, oats, and orange peel and hopped with Citra, Amarillo, Galaxy, Lemondrop, and Madarina Bavaria hops

- Stone/Ska Mighty Mighty Bastogne hoppy tripel

- Comrade/Crooked Stave imperial wit with Riesling must, curacao orange peel, coriander, and rye

- Epic/Devil's Backbone American-hopped black lager schwarzbier

- River North/Red Leg rye whiskey barrel fermented Belgian imperial brown

- Fiction/Chain Reaction/Cerebral Brett-fermented farmhouse ale with coffeefruit and plums

- New Belgium/Falling Rock Tap House/Star Bar Rock Star Part Deux blended barrel-aged sour

And tomorrow I am going to Falling Rock's Sour Fest. They haven't released their beer list yet, but they will be tapping some incredible sours.

What a week.

Danmmnnnnnnnnnnn

Underrated beer cities:

http://travel.usnews.com/features/8-Underrated-Beer-Cities/?src=usn_tw

How San Diego makes this list is beyond me...however, St Pete is spot on even though they failed to mention Green Bench and 3 Daughters, and the fact that Rapp, Cigar City, Coppertail, Pair O Dice, Angry Chair, Three Palms, Six Ten, 7venth Sun, J Dubs, Motorworks, Tampa Bay Brewing Co, Florida Ave, and others are all within about a 30 minute drive.

Underrated beer cities:

How San Diego makes this list is beyond me...however, St Pete is spot on even though they failed to mention Green Bench and 3 Daughters, and the fact that Rapp, Cigar City, Coppertail, Pair O Dice, Angry Chair, Three Palms, Six Ten, 7venth Sun, J Dubs, Motorworks, Tampa Bay Brewing Co, Florida Ave, and others are all within about a 30 minute drive.

Terrible article. The only San Diego brewery they mentioned is the most underwhelming of the bunch (Karl Strauss). Also, we officially hit 100 breweries.

And:

Any bona fide beer geek already knows they can find a great brew in Denver, Portland, Oregon, and Dublin.

:lol: Portland AND Oregon? :lmao:

ETA: they mention one city in Europe and it's Dublin? That's hilarious.

Edited by Sebowski

Having my annual beerfest on Saturday night.

14 beers that I select (2 are homebrewed) and there are 12 of us drinking approx 6 oz pours. I do a write up describing the beer which I bind into a booklet.

As we go through the beers a buddy has to read the description of the beer as we are drinking it. Then they draw a number and get a beer prize (t-shirt, hat, glass, etc. related to beer).

After we're done sampling all 14 beers we have a dart tournament where the winning team gets two baskets full of beer.

Good beer, cigars, food & friends. Tomorrow night is like Christmas to me!

• Like 2

Underrated beer cities:

Terrible article. The only San Diego brewery they mentioned is the most underwhelming of the bunch (Karl Strauss). Also, we officially hit 100 breweries.

And:

Any bona fide beer geek already knows they can find a great brew in Denver, Portland, Oregon, and Dublin.

:lol: Portland AND Oregon? :lmao:

ETA: they mention one city in Europe and it's Dublin? That's hilarious.

I assume they're identifying Portland, OR as opposed to, say, Portland, ME.

Beer in Dublin was overrated. For the most part, it seemed to be the same 5-6 beers on tap everywhere you go. I have no problem with Guinness, but for a culture that is so heavily associated with beer (at least in the US), the options were very limited. I did like how you can ask for blackcurrant syrup to be added to your Guinness anywhere you go, kinda interesting. Don't see that in America.

Saw a 6 pack of Grapefruit Sculpin at my local grocery store, is it worth the price for $15.99?

I know this stuff has some buzz around it, but I prefer the non-Grapefruit Sculpin which fluctuates from $11-14 here for six. $16 bucks for 6 12 oz-ers? $2.67 a bottle? Do it.

Yup. You're getting 4.5 pints for $16, so while the price tag seems steep its really not.

Saw a 6 pack of Grapefruit Sculpin at my local grocery store, is it worth the price for $15.99?

Yes.

Depends

FYP

You're lack of taste is well documented. See :e: and we can now add beer to your questionable choices in women.

Go Hawks!

Picked up a few supplies today:

PW Amarillo Ninja Love this

PW Da Fuzz Love this

Surly Furious Haven't tried this one yet

Lagunitas High Westified Imperial Coffee Stout This is in my fridge

Cheers GB :suds:

Likewise. Need something to numb the pain while I watch the Hawks put on a defensive clinic.

Huge fan of Furious.

What did you think of overrated?

Picked up a few supplies today:

PW Amarillo Ninja Love this

PW Da Fuzz Love this

Surly Furious Haven't tried this one yet

Lagunitas High Westified Imperial Coffee Stout This is in my fridge

Cheers GB :suds:

Likewise. Need something to numb the pain while I watch the Hawks put on a defensive clinic.

Huge fan of Furious.

What did you think of overrated?

I like it but not nearly as much as Abrasive. I will likely pick up some Furious this weekend. And yes need to drown the pain of work this week and then the cherry on top of the Hawks ####ting the ice.

Brouwerij Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge Flemish Sour. Date reads 21 13...not sure what that means exactly. 2013 I'd guess, maybe from Sebowskis cellar?

I love sours, and I Love. This. Beer. So complex, so good. Raisins, dates, dark fruit (cherry, raspberry, etc), vinegar, oak...damn. One of the best sours I've ever had. About perfect.

Dammit, Sebowski...I feel like I need to send you more beer to even things out...this beer is flat out amazing.

That's the best sour beer I've ever had. Luckily, its widely available in Michigan.

Gonna have to look for this

Oh and having a few OddSide Project Mayhem (Belgian Style IPA)

So I am a bit shocked....PW just released (tap only right now but will canned later this year) a session farmhouse ale. PW =/= session to me.

I love farmhouse ales...will have to try it when its available in cans.

Finishing up a Crank Crowler right now. May have an Alpine Pure Hoppiness in a bit...

Edited by Wingnut
  • Like 1